HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you have faith in Brian Burke ?

View Poll Results: Do you have faith in Brian Burke ?
Yes - I believe he will make the right moves to get us into contention 184 0.00%
No - I fear he makes the wrong moves and this could be his last year 100,000,074 100.00%
Voters: 100000258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
I'm not underselling Lupul, who did Kessel have as line mates before Lupul was here and what was his PPG?
So Kessel relies on his linemates to make him better? Doesn't sound like the kind of guy who makes all his linemates better....

Old
06-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
You do need elite talent though. But you're not arguing against that.

smashesfaceagainstwalluntilbrainsspillout
Of course you need elite talent to win. I think with Kessel, potentially Gardiner, and to a lesser extent Lupul and Phaneuf - the Leafs have some.

We'll probably add another on June 22. Could we use more? Sure.

We also have some great secondary talent in guys like Grabo, Kulemin, Frattin, Kadri, Gunnarsson, Schenn, etc.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:32 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
so what? don't you think it would have been possible to trade 2 1st round picks for a very good young center?

it seems like kessel (a smallish winger) was burke's main building piece. it's like starting to build the house by installing the windows, and not worrying about the foundation.

almost 4 years later we're still missing that foundation.

some of you are saying 'we're building towards the cup.' i really don't buy it. we have some young studs on the marlies, but most i see playing a decent bottom 6 roll.
to win in the nhl you need outstanding players making a strong core of your team, something we're missing.

i still don't see a #1 C, G or D (gardiner MAY be close) in the pipeline and that is concerning
And which center was available that you were trading for? And again, who plays wing for that center? What Burke has done is grabbed pieces of his puzzle as they became available. Had he not made the Kessel trade we'd all be discussing the fact that we are a #1 winger short and that he could have had Kessel way back in the day for three measly picks.

As for our prospects, I can't help what you see. I see them as having much higher upside than you do.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:36 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
So Kessel relies on his linemates to make him better? Doesn't sound like the kind of guy who makes all his linemates better....
There is no question Kessel makes his line mates better. However it's also not rocket science to assume that with better line mates he would also improve.

Old
06-10-2012, 10:18 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
You can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:17 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
0.50 goals per game with Lupul
0.25 goals per game without Lupul
Goals per game only tells half the story as Kessel is not just an elite goal scorer. How many total points did he put up with Lupul out and who were his line mates during that run?

Old
06-10-2012, 01:29 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

0.50 goals per game with Lupul
0.25 goals per game without Lupul
Forgotten 3rd liner without Kessel
All Star with Kessel

Old
06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Burke can't be turfed fast enough to make me happy.

I have never liked him and I never will; so, therefore, my answer is NO.

As long as Burke remains GM of the Leafs, the team will most likely remain a bottom-feeder and will probably never particpate in amy post-season action.

Old
06-10-2012, 01:32 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Look up "synergy" at dictionary.com

Old
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
As long as Burke remains GM of the Leafs, the team will most likely remain a bottom-feeder and will probably never particpate in amy post-season action.
At least you've got you bases covered with "most likely" and "probably".

Old
06-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Brown Dog

I have mixed feelings about Burke's performance so far.

That Wilson extension really upset me, though. It was such a slap in the face to long-suffering Leaf fans to reward Wilson with a mid-season extension and then not announce it publicly until weeks later at Christmas--via a smug, self-congratulatory tweet from the coach himself. The whole thing was handled in such a bush league manner.

Until that moment, I thought Burke "got it," that he understood this market. But that was such a colossal mistake--compounded by the team's epic collapse and the inevitable, embarrassing need to fire Wilson shortly after. For a spotlight hound like Burke to keep the extension under wraps for weeks made the whole affair stink of disorganization and cronyism.

So, yes, I lost a lot of faith in Burke with that move. It really made me doubt his judgment. The only thing that keeps me believing is Burke's outsized ego. I'm hopeful that last season's collapse will have embarrassed him into making some meaningful changes this off-season. The Leafs are turning into a laughing stock all over again, and that can't sit well with the big man.

However, if the ultra-conservative and ham-fisted way he handled the trade deadline is any indication, he may have lost faith in himself.

Old
06-10-2012, 02:58 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

That Wilson extension really upset me, though. It was such a slap in the face to long-suffering Leaf fans to reward Wilson with a mid-season extension and then not announce it publicly until weeks later at Christmas--via a smug, self-congratulatory tweet from the coach himself. The whole thing was handled in such a bush league manner.

Until that moment, I thought Burke "got it," that he understood this market. But that was such a colossal mistake--compounded by the team's epic collapse and the inevitable, embarrassing need to fire Wilson shortly after. For a spotlight hound like Burke to keep the extension under wraps for weeks made the whole affair stink of disorganization and cronyism.

So, yes, I lost a lot of faith in Burke with that move. It really made me doubt his judgment. The only thing that keeps me believing is Burke's outsized ego. I'm hopeful that last season's collapse will have embarrassed him into making some meaningful changes this off-season. The Leafs are turning into a laughing stock all over again, and that can't sit well with the big man.

However, if the ultra-conservative and ham-fisted way he handled the trade deadline is any indication, he may have lost faith in himself.
He didn't restore any faith when he fired his ass?

Old
06-10-2012, 03:01 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
All Star with Kessel
I believe you mean oft injured previous 20 goal scorer trying to come back from injury.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Old
06-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
Burke can't be turfed fast enough to make me happy.

I have never liked him and I never will; so, therefore, my answer is NO.

Come on now, any person qualified to be a NHL GM and given enough time and $$ resources to spend on players, scouts, management has to eventually (even if its just occasionally or by sure luck) be able to make the playoffs. After all more than 50% of the teams in the NHL and each conference make it into the playoffs each season.

Only 3 points combined separate Columbus and Toronto in wins/points over Burke's 4 season tenure in TO, and even Scott Howson was able to get the Blue Jackets into the playoffs during that time.. In fact 29 of the 30 NHL teams (97%), have seen playoff games in a Cap World, everyone except us.

As the saying goes "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, and even a broken clock is right twice a day" ..

That said this is a huge year for Burke as his job is squarely on the line now.. Ownership is not going to be sending out any more apologies to Leaf Nation for his struggles to ice a competitive team, without action also taken to address the failure.. There will be no more mid season coach firings to save him, and the roster has nearly been turned over entirely except for a few inherited players.. Burke after 4 seasons has failed to get the Leafs out of the bottom 10 of the league in any season, and his next bad one will be his last one.

MLSE pleads for fan patience, and we have to extend them that, as Burke will be fired soon enough if he can't get this sinking ship going in the right direction. No more excuses !!!.

06-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBester View Post
He didn't restore any faith when he fired his ass?
Yes and no. I was pleased Burke was willing to swallow his pride and make that move in-season--although by that point it was just about impossible to justify keeping Wilson around and the heat was starting to find Burke himself. I'd say Burke stuck with Wilson as long as he possibly could--and far longer than anyone else would have.

On a related note, though I'm willing to give Carlyle the benefit of the doubt, that hire seemed like another safe, unimaginative decision from a guy who seems to be at his best when he's being bold and decisive. But, like I say, I'm willing to see give Carlyle a chance.

Old
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
All Star with Kessel
I believe you are incorrect sir. However, I respect your opinion, and bid you a good day.

Old
06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:

nicely written

is that hand-fisted btw?)

Old
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

7 out of 10 have faith in BB

Old
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
7 out of 10 have faith in BB
and with that, this thread is closed.

The Devil made me do it.

Last edited by ULF_55: 06-11-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Closed Thread