HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR Surgery Discussion (update post #356: No hip surgery for JVR, Holmgren confirms)

Old
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
But I don't think we need that. I'd rather get that 1 stud than two good defenseman. We have several good defenseman, but we're missing that can't-miss dependable guy.

And getting Rick Nash is just silly (in my opinion). We scored a ton last year...why put assets and ton of salary into a guy who mainly just scores goals?
Because Rick Nash would be a franchise calibre winger on this team with giroux. And hartnells contract is up next year, and Nash is still 27. (he'll be 28 on Saturday though)

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
What are you planning to give up?

Schultz has already said that he is going to UFA--as per Eliotte Friedman. There's not reason to trade anything significant for his rights.

Ryan would cost two young roster players--I don't think there's any doubt about that. Maybe Anaheim bites on Couturier + picks, but I doubt it, and I think most of the fans here would oppose such a move. Anaheim has no reason to swap Ryan for JVR unless they are getting a pretty substantial add-on. When you consider the value of the 6th overall, it gets a little fantastical, even for HF.
I have no clue. I think you mentioned earlier they need a 2C, and I don't think we fix that unless Schenn goes. I'd oppose moving Schenn and Couturier.

JvR, Read/Simmonds, Mez, 20th overall, 2013 pick? It's going to be expensive...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Trade one guy who doesn't play 200 ft for another cause he can score a few more goals. Great. Why not try to acquire Stamkos for Couts while we're at it, then we can score 400 goals next season. Sounds like the blueprint to a cup that all the recent winners have used.

No wonder we haven't won a cup since 75. What next, Uncle Ed hires Joe Banner who comes out and says we're the "gold standard."

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:29 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Because Rick Nash would be a franchise calibre winger on this team with giroux. And hartnells contract is up next year, and Nash is still 27. (he'll be 28 on Saturday though)
But we already have tons of good wingers and centers. We were near top of the league in scoring last year. We lost in the playoffs because our defense was trounced. Rick Nash fixes none of our problems.

We can always re-sign Hartnell and we have tons of wingers younger than Nash who'll be much cheaper. I know Rick Nash is a very "sexy" name, but he's not for us. We need defense with Pronger done for life and Timonen likely retiring.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
BrindamoursNose

Take a read at Bill Metzler's article. It is very well thought out and I think people should take note of some of the things he wrote:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Nash/45/44883

Old
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Trade one guy who doesn't play 200 ft for another cause he can score a few more goals. Great. Why not try to acquire Stamkos for Couts while we're at it, then we can score 400 goals next season. Sounds like the blueprint to a cup that all the recent winners have used.

No wonder we haven't won a cup since 75. What next, Uncle Ed hires Joe Banner who comes out and says we're the "gold standard."
If you're referring to Nash, I'm pretty sure he'd be on our 3rd PK group (with Giroux) if we got him.

Couturier-Talbot
Schenn-Read
Giroux-Nash

Quote:
But we already have tons of good wingers and centers. We were near top of the league in scoring last year. We lost in the playoffs because our defense was trounced. Rick Nash fixes none of our problems.

We can always re-sign Hartnell and we have tons of wingers younger than Nash who'll be much cheaper. I know Rick Nash is a very "sexy" name, but he's not for us. We need defense with Pronger done for life and Timonen likely retiring.
We have tons of good wingers, yes. If we're going to continue this uptempo high pressure offense brand of hockey, we need more great weapons than Giroux. Briere lost his Leino, JvR hasn't found someone to play with yet. The best I've ever see JvR play consistently is with Carter and Zherdev on a line....and...well...that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The organization sees Giroux's wingers as a problem. Hartnell is fine, but Jagr isn't there anymore, Simmonds will never be a 1st line player, Briere hurts the D too much, and Voracek isn't there yet. Nash/Parise/Ryan fills that hole.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:

You're also not taking into consideration that a lot of the issue was our forwards lack of defensive play. Rick Nash also makes you better in that regard.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
If you're referring to Nash, I'm pretty sure he'd be on our 3rd PK group (with Giroux) if we got him.

Couturier-Talbot
Schenn-Read
Giroux-Nash

We have tons of good wingers, yes. If we're going to continue this uptempo high pressure offense brand of hockey, we need more great weapons than Giroux. Briere lost his Leino, JvR hasn't found someone to play with yet. The best I've ever see JvR play consistently is with Carter and Zherdev on a line....and...well...that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The organization sees Giroux's wingers as a problem. Hartnell is fine, but Jagr isn't there anymore, Simmonds will never be a 1st line player, Briere hurts the D too much, and Voracek isn't there yet. Nash/Parise/Ryan fills that hole.
Exactly....they need another legit scorer.....G needs a more steady bookend...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR has hip issues. No labrum damage and no concensus on treatment. Decision on whether surgery is required expected this week.

edit:

JVR loves Philly, wants to stay, but understands business and knows trade is possible. Isn't dragging his feet. Just wants to get healthy.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

What is going on with this thread? i don't get any of it? how is jvr's infection a reason to help with a trade? their acting like its a good stall tactic. i don't get that at all. also, has it been reported that were definitely signing carla and jagr? cause as far as i knew they are both gone. i know what they've said in the b.s dpt about "wanting" to bring them back but out of those two carla in my mind is the only real possibility. all that said we don't "need" nash but i'd take em. he's awesome and he would rule for us but we desperately need a high end defenseman way more. if were capable of paying a player over 7 mil a year then its got to be weber.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You're also not taking into consideration that a lot of the issue was our forwards lack of defensive play. Rick Nash also makes you better in that regard.
Not for 7.8 Million dollars, though. I'd rather overpay for Gaustad.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
JVR has hip issues. No labrum damage and no concensus on treatment. Decision on whether surgery is required expected this week.
That's odd...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:

edit:

JVR loves Philly, wants to stay, but understands business and knows trade is possible. Isn't dragging his feet. Just wants to get healthy.
I trust Dreger way more then Meltzer. Or Baicker. Or Homer.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
How do you know the org. sees Giroux's wingers as a problem? I'm not saying you're wrong, but unless I missed a big piece of info, I have not seen that concern mentioned by Homer.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
How do you know the org. sees Giroux's wingers as a problem? I'm not saying you're wrong, but unless I missed a big piece of info, I have not seen that concern mentioned by Homer.
I mentioned it on the last page, mapped out the offseason priorities in an educated guess. Why else would Nash and Parise's name be popping up?

We have a 24 year old 93 point center, with a 30 year old who had his career high in points this season...at 67 points...the next highest on the team---and a 40 year old legend who can pop in 50 points if he's healthy. They want a sniper to can get 75-80+ pts next to Giroux. Nash fits the bill, as does Parise and Ryan, and they're all closer to Giroux's age than Jagr's.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Go For It

How has Claude Giroux Adjusted Point Totals not been brought up yet?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Don't you think the front office thinks JvR will become that player on G's wing for the foreseeable future?

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Don't you think the front office thinks JvR will become that player on G's wing for the foreseeable future?
I'm pretty sure that the entire premise is this discussion is that the front office does NOT think JVR will become that player.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I mentioned it on the last page, mapped out the offseason priorities in an educated guess. Why else would Nash and Parise's name be popping up?

We have a 24 year old 93 point center, with a 30 year old who had his career high in points this season...at 67 points...the next highest on the team---and a 40 year old legend who can pop in 50 points if he's healthy. They want a sniper to can get 75-80+ pts next to Giroux. Nash fits the bill, as does Parise and Ryan, and they're all closer to Giroux's age than Jagr's.
This makes sense, at least from an offensive standpoint, however, I think they should be looking at defense before this. That isn't to say I would be mad if they got Parise, Nash, or Ryan instead of Suter, I just think it would be smarter to go after a defender instead. If they could somehow finagle both, that would be epic.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Gotta agree with Meltzer. I don't buy this at all. If the doctors were the one who were cancelling the appointment, then why wouldn't another doctor be contacted? If JVR were the one who was putting off the surgery, why would he put his career in jeopardy by doing so? It doesn't make sense. So no, I don't buy the argument one bit that JVR is intentionally postponing the surgery. I'm not sure if anyone has had the injury that JVR has, but according to what I've read, it's very painful and that even walking can be quite the task.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Gotta agree with Meltzer. I don't buy this at all. If the doctors were the one who were cancelling the appointment, then why wouldn't another doctor be contacted? If JVR were the one who was putting off the surgery, why would he put his career in jeopardy by doing so? It doesn't make sense. So no, I don't buy the argument one bit that JVR is intentionally postponing the surgery. I'm not sure if anyone has had the injury that JVR has, but according to what I've read, it's very painful and that even walking can be quite the task.
JVR's career would be in more jeopardy if he played for CBJ.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post

That might actually be very helpful.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

For what its worth...Eklund's "trusted" source is Holmgren.....

Quote:
Just landed in LA and checked with my sources and found there is no truth to a rumor that wold send JVR to Columbus for Rick Nash.

"No Truth." a trusted source close to the situation texted me almost immediately.

I have been hearing these rumors for some time, and another source told me he had heard Columbus wanted JVR +Bobrovsky + more (including high-end draft picks) for Nash at the trade deadline. The Flyers simply wouldn't do that.

Also I do believe unless Nash can play defense for them next seasons the Flyers are steering clear of making a push for the forward.

Rumor updates to come.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-true/1/44889

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That might actually be very helpful.
Yup. Somebody in the front office should know something about the salary cap.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

If he has a infection in his foot they will not operate. Infections are no joke. I have been taking Cipro and bactrim for weeks and they still cannot get rid of the mother ****er!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote