HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR Surgery Discussion (update post #356: No hip surgery for JVR, Holmgren confirms)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
  #176
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
But I don't think we need that. I'd rather get that 1 stud than two good defenseman. We have several good defenseman, but we're missing that can't-miss dependable guy.

And getting Rick Nash is just silly (in my opinion). We scored a ton last year...why put assets and ton of salary into a guy who mainly just scores goals?
Because Rick Nash would be a franchise calibre winger on this team with giroux. And hartnells contract is up next year, and Nash is still 27. (he'll be 28 on Saturday though)

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
  #177
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
What are you planning to give up?

Schultz has already said that he is going to UFA--as per Eliotte Friedman. There's not reason to trade anything significant for his rights.

Ryan would cost two young roster players--I don't think there's any doubt about that. Maybe Anaheim bites on Couturier + picks, but I doubt it, and I think most of the fans here would oppose such a move. Anaheim has no reason to swap Ryan for JVR unless they are getting a pretty substantial add-on. When you consider the value of the 6th overall, it gets a little fantastical, even for HF.
I have no clue. I think you mentioned earlier they need a 2C, and I don't think we fix that unless Schenn goes. I'd oppose moving Schenn and Couturier.

JvR, Read/Simmonds, Mez, 20th overall, 2013 pick? It's going to be expensive...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
  #178
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Trade one guy who doesn't play 200 ft for another cause he can score a few more goals. Great. Why not try to acquire Stamkos for Couts while we're at it, then we can score 400 goals next season. Sounds like the blueprint to a cup that all the recent winners have used.

No wonder we haven't won a cup since 75. What next, Uncle Ed hires Joe Banner who comes out and says we're the "gold standard."

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:29 PM
  #179
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Because Rick Nash would be a franchise calibre winger on this team with giroux. And hartnells contract is up next year, and Nash is still 27. (he'll be 28 on Saturday though)
But we already have tons of good wingers and centers. We were near top of the league in scoring last year. We lost in the playoffs because our defense was trounced. Rick Nash fixes none of our problems.

We can always re-sign Hartnell and we have tons of wingers younger than Nash who'll be much cheaper. I know Rick Nash is a very "sexy" name, but he's not for us. We need defense with Pronger done for life and Timonen likely retiring.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
  #180
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Take a read at Bill Metzler's article. It is very well thought out and I think people should take note of some of the things he wrote:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Nash/45/44883

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
  #181
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Trade one guy who doesn't play 200 ft for another cause he can score a few more goals. Great. Why not try to acquire Stamkos for Couts while we're at it, then we can score 400 goals next season. Sounds like the blueprint to a cup that all the recent winners have used.

No wonder we haven't won a cup since 75. What next, Uncle Ed hires Joe Banner who comes out and says we're the "gold standard."
If you're referring to Nash, I'm pretty sure he'd be on our 3rd PK group (with Giroux) if we got him.

Couturier-Talbot
Schenn-Read
Giroux-Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
But we already have tons of good wingers and centers. We were near top of the league in scoring last year. We lost in the playoffs because our defense was trounced. Rick Nash fixes none of our problems.

We can always re-sign Hartnell and we have tons of wingers younger than Nash who'll be much cheaper. I know Rick Nash is a very "sexy" name, but he's not for us. We need defense with Pronger done for life and Timonen likely retiring.
We have tons of good wingers, yes. If we're going to continue this uptempo high pressure offense brand of hockey, we need more great weapons than Giroux. Briere lost his Leino, JvR hasn't found someone to play with yet. The best I've ever see JvR play consistently is with Carter and Zherdev on a line....and...well...that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The organization sees Giroux's wingers as a problem. Hartnell is fine, but Jagr isn't there anymore, Simmonds will never be a 1st line player, Briere hurts the D too much, and Voracek isn't there yet. Nash/Parise/Ryan fills that hole.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
  #182
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
But we already have tons of good wingers and centers. We were near top of the league in scoring last year. We lost in the playoffs because our defense was trounced. Rick Nash fixes none of our problems.

We can always re-sign Hartnell and we have tons of wingers younger than Nash who'll be much cheaper. I know Rick Nash is a very "sexy" name, but he's not for us. We need defense with Pronger done for life and Timonen likely retiring.
You're also not taking into consideration that a lot of the issue was our forwards lack of defensive play. Rick Nash also makes you better in that regard.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:39 PM
  #183
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
If you're referring to Nash, I'm pretty sure he'd be on our 3rd PK group (with Giroux) if we got him.

Couturier-Talbot
Schenn-Read
Giroux-Nash



We have tons of good wingers, yes. If we're going to continue this uptempo high pressure offense brand of hockey, we need more great weapons than Giroux. Briere lost his Leino, JvR hasn't found someone to play with yet. The best I've ever see JvR play consistently is with Carter and Zherdev on a line....and...well...that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The organization sees Giroux's wingers as a problem. Hartnell is fine, but Jagr isn't there anymore, Simmonds will never be a 1st line player, Briere hurts the D too much, and Voracek isn't there yet. Nash/Parise/Ryan fills that hole.
Exactly....they need another legit scorer.....G needs a more steady bookend...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  #184
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR has hip issues. No labrum damage and no concensus on treatment. Decision on whether surgery is required expected this week.

edit:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR loves Philly, wants to stay, but understands business and knows trade is possible. Isn't dragging his feet. Just wants to get healthy.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:43 PM
  #185
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
What is going on with this thread? i don't get any of it? how is jvr's infection a reason to help with a trade? their acting like its a good stall tactic. i don't get that at all. also, has it been reported that were definitely signing carla and jagr? cause as far as i knew they are both gone. i know what they've said in the b.s dpt about "wanting" to bring them back but out of those two carla in my mind is the only real possibility. all that said we don't "need" nash but i'd take em. he's awesome and he would rule for us but we desperately need a high end defenseman way more. if were capable of paying a player over 7 mil a year then its got to be weber.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:44 PM
  #186
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You're also not taking into consideration that a lot of the issue was our forwards lack of defensive play. Rick Nash also makes you better in that regard.
Not for 7.8 Million dollars, though. I'd rather overpay for Gaustad.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:45 PM
  #187
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR has hip issues. No labrum damage and no concensus on treatment. Decision on whether surgery is required expected this week.
That's odd...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
  #188
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR has hip issues. No labrum damage and no concensus on treatment. Decision on whether surgery is required expected this week.

edit:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
JVR loves Philly, wants to stay, but understands business and knows trade is possible. Isn't dragging his feet. Just wants to get healthy.
I trust Dreger way more then Meltzer. Or Baicker. Or Homer.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:49 PM
  #189
BrindamoursNose
Registered User
 
BrindamoursNose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
The organization sees Giroux's wingers as a problem. Hartnell is fine, but Jagr isn't there anymore, Simmonds will never be a 1st line player, Briere hurts the D too much, and Voracek isn't there yet. Nash/Parise/Ryan fills that hole.
How do you know the org. sees Giroux's wingers as a problem? I'm not saying you're wrong, but unless I missed a big piece of info, I have not seen that concern mentioned by Homer.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:57 PM
  #190
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
How do you know the org. sees Giroux's wingers as a problem? I'm not saying you're wrong, but unless I missed a big piece of info, I have not seen that concern mentioned by Homer.
I mentioned it on the last page, mapped out the offseason priorities in an educated guess. Why else would Nash and Parise's name be popping up?

We have a 24 year old 93 point center, with a 30 year old who had his career high in points this season...at 67 points...the next highest on the team---and a 40 year old legend who can pop in 50 points if he's healthy. They want a sniper to can get 75-80+ pts next to Giroux. Nash fits the bill, as does Parise and Ryan, and they're all closer to Giroux's age than Jagr's.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
  #191
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 500
How has Claude Giroux Adjusted Point Totals not been brought up yet?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
  #192
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Don't you think the front office thinks JvR will become that player on G's wing for the foreseeable future?

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
  #193
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Don't you think the front office thinks JvR will become that player on G's wing for the foreseeable future?
I'm pretty sure that the entire premise is this discussion is that the front office does NOT think JVR will become that player.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
  #194
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I mentioned it on the last page, mapped out the offseason priorities in an educated guess. Why else would Nash and Parise's name be popping up?

We have a 24 year old 93 point center, with a 30 year old who had his career high in points this season...at 67 points...the next highest on the team---and a 40 year old legend who can pop in 50 points if he's healthy. They want a sniper to can get 75-80+ pts next to Giroux. Nash fits the bill, as does Parise and Ryan, and they're all closer to Giroux's age than Jagr's.
This makes sense, at least from an offensive standpoint, however, I think they should be looking at defense before this. That isn't to say I would be mad if they got Parise, Nash, or Ryan instead of Suter, I just think it would be smarter to go after a defender instead. If they could somehow finagle both, that would be epic.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
  #195
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,057
vCash: 500
Gotta agree with Meltzer. I don't buy this at all. If the doctors were the one who were cancelling the appointment, then why wouldn't another doctor be contacted? If JVR were the one who was putting off the surgery, why would he put his career in jeopardy by doing so? It doesn't make sense. So no, I don't buy the argument one bit that JVR is intentionally postponing the surgery. I'm not sure if anyone has had the injury that JVR has, but according to what I've read, it's very painful and that even walking can be quite the task.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:29 PM
  #196
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Gotta agree with Meltzer. I don't buy this at all. If the doctors were the one who were cancelling the appointment, then why wouldn't another doctor be contacted? If JVR were the one who was putting off the surgery, why would he put his career in jeopardy by doing so? It doesn't make sense. So no, I don't buy the argument one bit that JVR is intentionally postponing the surgery. I'm not sure if anyone has had the injury that JVR has, but according to what I've read, it's very painful and that even walking can be quite the task.
JVR's career would be in more jeopardy if he played for CBJ.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:37 PM
  #197
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Trade one guy who doesn't play 200 ft for another cause he can score a few more goals. Great. Why not try to acquire Stamkos for Couts while we're at it, then we can score 400 goals next season. Sounds like the blueprint to a cup that all the recent winners have used.

No wonder we haven't won a cup since 75. What next, Uncle Ed hires Joe Banner who comes out and says we're the "gold standard."
That might actually be very helpful.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:42 PM
  #198
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
For what its worth...Eklund's "trusted" source is Holmgren.....

Quote:
Just landed in LA and checked with my sources and found there is no truth to a rumor that wold send JVR to Columbus for Rick Nash.

"No Truth." a trusted source close to the situation texted me almost immediately.

I have been hearing these rumors for some time, and another source told me he had heard Columbus wanted JVR +Bobrovsky + more (including high-end draft picks) for Nash at the trade deadline. The Flyers simply wouldn't do that.

Also I do believe unless Nash can play defense for them next seasons the Flyers are steering clear of making a push for the forward.

Rumor updates to come.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...t-true/1/44889

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
  #199
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That might actually be very helpful.
Yup. Somebody in the front office should know something about the salary cap.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
  #200
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,582
vCash: 500
If he has a infection in his foot they will not operate. Infections are no joke. I have been taking Cipro and bactrim for weeks and they still cannot get rid of the mother ****er!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.