HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

My trip over for game 5! (please post if u want to meet up)

Old
06-11-2012, 03:32 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

vCash: 500
This is awful

Well, not for anyone else

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
This is awful

Well, not for anyone else
Well you shouldn't have blinked.

Edit: Just saw the pic.......

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I'm backing up BG on this. I'm a pseudo-local and I think that BG is virtually always spot-on with his comments about NYC. He's probably the most knowledgeable poster we have about spots in the City from my experience.
I'm not suggesting he doesn't know what he's talking about, but to say 53rd halal or S'macs is bad is nuts. As for Grey's it's just hot dogs, would you rather trust the weenies of some smelly street cart?

I agree about its better going to Little Italy than Olive Garden, but maybe some people like to take in the views. I ate a Applebee's in Times Square recently, besides the crazy prices was a pretty cool view & I've seen Times Square so many times I find it absolutely boring!

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Grey's and there's always a long line of all sorts of people such as students, suits and so on. Everyone that I know from the area there actually eat at Grey's & like it

I think they should try it all if they get a chance. A hot dog here, a pizza there. Can't go wrong.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post
Grey's is good for cheap drunk hot dogs. S'mac is mac and cheese and, admittedly kitschy, but there's aren't a ton of non-chain mac and cheese places really anywhere, so it's got that going for it. That cart on 53rd and 6th is legendary for all the right reasons. Well worth it. I try to go once a year.

Grey's is no better than the $1 hotdogs as The Rock (i.e. cheap as you said, and uhhh... really not good), SMAC is tasty and okay to do once, I wouldn't go back though, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a tourist with just 3 or 4 days in NYC go there!

The cart on 53rd and 6th I disagree with you hugely though. It's not significantly different from the 200 other Halal carts all over NYC. There's nothing special about it, and certainly no better than a Halal cart in Jackson Heights (where the "real" middle eastern food is). If you try to hit that cart once a year, you should just hit any other Halal cart. Some of these places get famous because they were in a movie or TV show, and then they take on a life of their own. Magnolia Bakery is another example (Sex & The City), overrated. And there's a decent cafe in my hood that is still making a healthy living off of all the women who love You've Got Mail (which also featured Gray's Papaya).

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Grey's is no better than the $1 hotdogs as The Rock (i.e. cheap as you said, and uhhh... really not good), SMAC is tasty and okay to do once, I wouldn't go back though, and I certainly wouldn't recommend a tourist with just 3 or 4 days in NYC go there! The cart on 53rd and 6th I disagree with hugely though. It's not significantly different from the 200 other Halal carts all over NYC. There's nothing special about it, and certainly no better than a Halal cart in Jackson Heights (where the "real" middle eastern food is). If you try to hit that cart once a year, you should just hit any other Halal cart. Some of these places get famous because they were in a movie or TV show, and then they take on a life of their own. Magnolia Bakery is another example (Sex & The City), overrated. And there's a decent cafe in my hood that is still making a healthy living off of all the women who love You've Got Mail.
Idk man, to compare Grey's dogs to the Prudential dogs seems a little off to me. Maybe we're talking about different Grey's? I'm talking about the one in the Village, I don't think that's the one that was in that Chris Rock movie. I've had dogs there for years with their homemade juices & think they're pretty good & kinda unique.

Then again I'm kind of a fan of the nasty, greasy fast food that you'll find on something like that "diners & dives" show or whatever it's called.

Edit: Keep in mind that when I was thinking of places, I wa considering popularity & interest, so I thought a place that's been featured in several movies will be a better conversation piece than a unknown mom & pop's place with perhaps slightly better food. Mainly why I chose touristy places for the well... um, tourists

Last edited by Mory Schneideur*: 06-11-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeurRULES View Post
Well you shouldn't have blinked.

Edit: Just saw the pic.......
There were others to choose from!!!

njdevsfn95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:16 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
The cart on 53rd and 6th I disagree with you hugely though. It's not significantly different from the 200 other Halal carts all over NYC. There's nothing special about it, and certainly no better than a Halal cart in Jackson Heights (where the "real" middle eastern food is). If you try to hit that cart once a year, you should just hit any other Halal cart. Some of these places get famous because they were in a movie or TV show, and then they take on a life of their own. Magnolia Bakery is another example (Sex & The City), overrated. And there's a decent cafe in my hood that is still making a healthy living off of all the women who love You've Got Mail (which also featured Gray's Papaya).
Magnolia's is hella overrated, I don't buy it and don't get it.

I've done about fifty (roughly) halal carts, and have had varying success. That one's pretty good though. They're very liberal with the sauces (don't you get to squirt your own? I love that) and their lamb is one of the tastier cuts I've had cart wise.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Exactly.

Good job cj.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:07 PM
BrodeurRULES
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:

Well they can't afford to have anyone else looking like that. lol

BrodeurRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Who's the beard guy? He looks like a 1920s sea captain.

That's me. And thank you

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote