HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-10-2012, 08:49 PM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
always go BPA. the guy we are picking at 28 most likely won't be stepping in right away and who knows what our needs might be in 3 years

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
always go BPA. the guy we are picking at 28 most likely won't be stepping in right away and who knows what our needs might be in 3 years
likely? At 28 we'll be lucky if he's on the team in 3 years.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:04 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Gotta wonder if the Rangers look at a defenseman in the first round. Impact forwards seem scarse in this draft. Yeah, there's some wild cards. Frk is interesting. Every scout out there is saying his one-timer is tremendous. Wilson is interesting...big nasty guy, but is he going to ever crack a top 6, or is he going to be a role player? Mac is very intriguing but that is likely second round talk.

What happens if Dalton Thrower, or Brady Skjei is there still when the Rangers take the podium? Do they pass because the have a solid crop of defenseman already? Both of these guys seem to fit the mold on what Clark likes in a prospect. Charachter, compete level, and maybe most important...skating.

Addressing need VS BPA...what to do?
It wouldn't shock me if they take a defenceman, depth may be an issue. Maybe Del Zotto is used to trade for a veteran scorer or to move up in the draft (maybe not him solely, but with other pieces included); the back end guys are veteran free agents who won't be long term solutions, maybe Staal gets dinged again, and by the draft you won't know if you're signing Schultz or not. I don't see a defenceman taken at #28 overall playing with the Rangers this coming season anyway (not that most of the other potential draftees will either). If they do take a defenceman Matthew Finn, Ollie Maata, Brady Skjei may be options.

I'd rather see high end skill taken at #28, or whenever they choose; Frk, Hart, or maybe Jankowski in the first round; MacEachern would be a project, but with great upside; maybe grab him in the 2nd round. Boo Nieves wouldn't be a bad option in the 2nd round, there's some potential power forwards you could take flyer on.

nsvoyageurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
likely? At 28 we'll be lucky if he's on the team in 3 years.
true but sometimes guys are ready sooner than expected so there is always a small chance, but not enough to worry about current needs

Old
06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
true but sometimes guys are ready sooner than expected so there is always a small chance, but not enough to worry about current needs
Sure, always a small chance. But at 28 the odds are it will take 3 years, if he makes it at all. The odds are far greater he busts than is playing on the Rangers in 2.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:40 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If Thrower, Skjei, or even somehow Koekoek are still there at 28, they will be Rangers. Gordie goes BPA most of the time.

I'd be interested to see if those three are gone and the choice comes down to a safe pick like a Sissons or Matteau, or Subban who could be a #1 goalie someday.
Or do they trade down? Anybody have any good vibes on Brian Hart in the 2nd?

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

I know it's probably not even worth it to discuss guys at the top, but I've been watching some broadcasts of junior players and I have to say...Yakupov's not that impressive. I would definitely rate Galchenyuk higher than him.

Yakupov's an elite offensive talent like everyone's been saying. He's a 360 player with the puck on his stick, who can swerve, dangle, shoot, and fire a pass at the drop of a hat. But he's only engaged when he has the puck on his stick. When I look at my first overall, I don't want a guy with flaw(s). He just doesn't have the aura of a cornerstone. Yakupov's weak as a winger guarding the point in his own zone, he's prone to turnovers, and even his rushes (which are part of his 'strong' suit) are frantic and not mindful of his four other teammates on the ice. This guy will get his points in the NHL, but I don't think he will turn out to be the player people are projecting.

Galchenyuk looks a bit like Malkin. He's defensively responsible though not immune to d miscues. He's a triggerman on the point for the powerplay, he always finds himself around the puck. He makes smart decisions with the puck and can start and finish a rush on his own, while keeping his support from his forwards.

I love Galchenyuk's swagger. He doesn't go 100 miles an hour like Yakupov, but the kid is smooth, rangy, strong on the puck, and precisely skilled. All of his movements are economical, but with a high degree of skill.

Next up, is confirming Rielly is the kid I think he is. Missed alot of the season with an injury, but came to the combine ripped. Not very typical of a 17-18 year old puckrusher, and one out with injury at that, which is exciting..

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Craig Button just posted his top-60. Players all over the map.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Interesting. I think Maatta would be very good value at 28, but I would not want us passing on Aberg.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

this might be the first draft in the past like 15 years where, i literally know jack about all the prospects outside of Yakupov. Zip. No clue whatsoever. Heh, will be interesting.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Rismus Rastulainen

I know this probably isn't the right thread for this question but what time o'clock does the draft begin? And how long is the first round?

Rismus Rastulainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurajoki Ranger View Post
I know this probably isn't the right thread for this question but what time o'clock does the draft begin? And how long is the first round?
Pretty sure it's 7pm ET and will go to 10pm and if it's anything like in the past if we're on pick no. 27 at 10 pm they'll cut it off right there--go on to their other scheduled programming. What they'll do in Canada I don't know--so if you have to choose between TSN and ESPN go with TSN because you can just about count on ESPN pulling the plug.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Grigorenko at 20? There's no way that actually happens right? If that's the case, we better be moving up to pick that kid up.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Grigorenko at 20? There's no way that actually happens right? If that's the case, we better be moving up to pick that kid up.
Yeah...not happening. He's a top 5 pick, for sure.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:31 PM
NYR Viper

How long is the 2nd day normally? Like an idiot I bought tickets to go to the Orion Festival in Atlantic City for Saturday/Sunday and I want to DVR the 2nd day. It is normally on the NHL Network right?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:36 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
How long is the 2nd day normally? Like an idiot I bought tickets to go to the Orion Festival in Atlantic City for Saturday/Sunday and I want to DVR the 2nd day. It is normally on the NHL Network right?
i don't think they ever show the 2nd day...day 2 they get thru 6 rounds in about the time it takes to get thru the 1st round because no one goes up to the podium, they just read their picks from the team table.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
It's his own ranking based on who he has seen and what those players have shown him. I'm sure some team will take Grigorenko in the top five.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
You can follow on your phone dude, Orion's gonna be sick! I might go up on Sunday.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:02 PM
NYR Viper

Yeah I am beyond excited for Metallica

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
You MIGHT be able to get all of round 2 if you record it in SD instead of Hi-Def and your DVR is emptied out.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:03 PM
eco's bones

Button is a whack job AFAIC. He does this every year. An attention seeker.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Pretty sure it's 7pm ET and will go to 10pm and if it's anything like in the past if we're on pick no. 27 at 10 pm they'll cut it off right there--go on to their other scheduled programming. What they'll do in Canada I don't know--so if you have to choose between TSN and ESPN go with TSN because you can just about count on ESPN pulling the plug.

NHL Draft 2012 - Friday, June 22, 2012, 7:00 PM. TV channel in USA is NBCSC, the old Versus.

Rounds 2 - 7 are shown Saturday, June 23, 2012, 09:00 AM. TV channel in USA is NHL Network.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Probably not #20 but is dropping after some pretty poor late season (lack of) work. 10-15 wouldn't surprise me.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
NHL Draft 2012 - Friday, June 22, 2012, 7:00 PM. TV channel in USA is NBCSC, the old Versus.

Rounds 2 - 7 are shown Saturday, June 23, 2012, 09:00 AM. TV channel in USA is NHL Network.
Guess I got ESPN in my head--it seems though the broadcast in the USA have often but cut off before the 1st round is actually done.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
First Ive heard of Grigorenko dropping that low...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote