HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music) Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 11:14 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
Can you explain why in spoilers?

Spoil:

I went in really looking forward to it but I didn't get my hopes up to high as I'm not a huge fan of Alien (I still liked it). Overall the story flew by for me and I felt the pacing was right on. Had some really good scifi moments and I actually really enjoyed most of the acting besides the over the top angry Charlize Theron.

Overall I give Prometheus a 7.5 out of 10.
Spoil:
Yes...faaaaaaaaaaaaaatherrrrrrrrr

Old
06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Ripshot 43

Has anyone watched John Carter? Despite it bombing in theaters and losing 100's of millions, ive heard a few favorable reviews from friends recently.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Spoil:
Yes...faaaaaaaaaaaaaatherrrrrrrrr
Spoil:

I'm very glad that I was the only one that felt that line was forced

It bugs me when movies have moments where they are almost calling the viewer stupid with scenes and lines like that.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:22 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Spoil:

I'm very glad that I was the only one that felt that line was forced

It bugs me when movies have moments where they are almost calling the viewer stupid with scenes and lines like that.
what's worse is it didn't need to be explained. Something that Ridley Scott almost always takes liberties with, and he did in this movie as well. But somehow, he felt that needed an explanation and we couldn't leave it up to our imaginations........

Spoil:
Also the ship is the same as in Alien(s) and the engineer was in the original as well. Loads of ppl upset about that, but Ridley left it up to them to find out. something in the magic of allowing those things to slip by without needing to point it out

Old
06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
what's worse is it didn't need to be explained. Something that Ridley Scott almost always takes liberties with, and he did in this movie as well. But somehow, he felt that needed an explanation and we couldn't leave it up to our imaginations........

Spoil:
Also the ship is the same as in Alien(s) and the engineer was in the original as well. Loads of ppl upset about that, but Ridley left it up to them to find out. something in the magic of allowing those things to slip by without needing to point it out
I recently watched Alien and had seen that they are the same by all the previews but what do you mean by the rest of what you wrote?

Old
06-11-2012, 11:29 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
I recently watched Alien and had seen that they are the same by all the previews but what do you mean by the rest of what you wrote?
A lot of the questions people have are already answered. People see them as plot holes, but Ridley Scott intentionally links bits and pieces of the first (and to some extent second) movie with this one. Really makes me appreciate the series a lot better, but I can see how it would disappoint some of those who are unaware of the connections.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
A lot of the questions people have are already answered. People see them as plot holes, but Ridley Scott intentionally links bits and pieces of the first (and to some extent second) movie with this one. Really makes me appreciate the series a lot better, but I can see how it would disappoint some of those who are unaware of the connections.
Is it too much to write?

Old
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Spoil:

-Space jockeys are the same as "the engineers"
-Ship is the same TYPE as in Alien but probably isn't the one commandeered by David + that other one unless the space jockey murdered them both upon arrival, because there's a jockey in the seat in Alien - not human.
-Despite pts 1+2 there's no direct link to the xenomorphs in the movie. There is a lot about evolution. The human + space jockey DNA are extremely similar, but obviously can't be the same, just look at them. Clear differences. This is probably why the alien at the end is slightly different as well.
-The reason the only one freaks out and wants to kill the humans is probably a reference to Prometheus. The first one (start of movie) was probably exiled for wanting to create life on Earth. Thus, the one onboard the ship wouldn't have a reason to help the humans. Prometheus was banished from the 'heavens' for similar differences with the titans
-David was of previous design to the "synthetics" of Alien + Aliens where we learn that previous versions are known to be able to harm humans if their primary objective allows for it. People wondering why he decided to go "rogue" probably not aware of this.
-David didn't know what he was doing. "try harder" was probably 'try harder to find one of them' so he was attempting to create one through a human host not realizing what it was. Not a link to previous movies, but something that's bugged the hell out of people nevertheless.
-Weyland corp is the corporation in every Alien movie including Alien vs Predator (which features a man named Weyland and his expedition in the Antarctic. This would pre-date Prometheus even. Interesting, but totally on the creator of that series, not Ridley Scott.)

Just a few things off the top my head

Things I haven't figured out at all, and are probably legitimate faults on the movie:

Spoil:

-Why the guy comes back to life after getting toasted (tho I like the fact that a character went against the usual cliché 'bring him in we gotta save him from something we don't even know how to cure!) and was impossibly strong
-Why Holloway went to work after seeing a worm in his eye? Unless he thought he was seeing things....or was desperate to find the jockey
-Yes...........FATHER (****ING AWFUL)

Last edited by GM17*: 06-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old
06-11-2012, 12:29 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Can you explain why in spoilers?
Spoil:

dumb writing and shallow characters
-when those two guys got lost on the alien ship, they ran into that alien snake thing and the one guy started baby talking it, I remember alot of people in theater were laughing at that part, also they had a hologram of the alien ship and camera feeds back on the main ship so you'd think someone would keep an eye on those two guys just to be safe
-the part when Charlize theron and Elizabeth are running from the rolling ship, RUN TO THE SIDES YOU *****S, that one girl falls and rolls to safety, meanwhile Charlize keeps running a straight line and gets crushed
- I didn't understand why the guy that got infected by David waited until he got onto the alien ship before he told anyone, he had ****ing worms on his eye balls, I think I would go straight to a doctor

there's alot more to nitpick, I'd probably give the movie a 4 or 5 out of 10, the visuals were amazing though

Old
06-11-2012, 12:50 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Regarding Prometheus:

Spoil:
I thought it was an OK movie but the characters were dumber than the average horror film, which says a lot.

"Hmmm, we're on an alien planet and the air on the surface is toxic... Let's say SCREW SAFETY and take our helmets off once we're in a cave!"

"Hmmm, we're lost in an alien cave and an unidentifiable snake-looking thing shows up... Let me, A SCIENTIST, treat it like it's a harmless puppy!"

"Father..." Just kill me. Speaking of which, was that old man costume intentionally bad?

I was also annoyed that Idris Elba (the captain) only seemed to have one liners... He's a really good actor but didn't get to show it here.

The squid abortion scene was excellent though, it was one of very few tense scenes. The facehugger snake scene wasn't tense because we've all seen Alien and know what happens, and because of how ****ing stupid the character was.

In other news, I just got the first two A Song of Ice And Fire books... 55 bucks.

Last edited by yakitate304: 06-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Regarding Prometheus:

Spoil:
I thought it was a pretty good movie but the characters were dumber than the average horror film, which says a lot.

"Hmmm, we're on an alien planet and the air on the surface is toxic... Let's say SCREW SAFETY and take our helmets off once we're in a cave!"

"Hmmm, we're lost in an alien cave and an unidentifiable snake-looking thing shows up... Let me, A SCIENTIST, treat it like it's a harmless puppy!"

"Father..." Just kill me. Speaking of which, was that old man costume intentionally bad?

I was also annoyed that Idris Elba (the captain) only seemed to have one liners... He's a really good actor but didn't get to show it here.

The squid abortion scene was excellent though, so much tension. The robot was really the showstealer.
Spoil:

They checked the atmosphere and it appeared to be safe (because the cave was actually a ship) so I let that slide, as I did the running from the ship. That's a panicky moment and they probably were busy not stepping on a jagged rock and breaking their ankle.

Not treating the snake thing with due respect was stupid. Agreed.

"Father" was bruuuuuuuutal as I've said a million times. Charlize Theron was uncharacteristically bad.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Spoil:

umbilical cord problem? just rip that **** out

Old
06-11-2012, 01:33 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Spoil:

umbilical cord problem? just rip that **** out
LOL yea that was a bit much.
Spoil:
not like you'd be bleeding like ****ing crazy or anything

oh hey, I know you!

Spoil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMuXksgj7QQ that's the xenomorph we know in the mural @57s. So the "engineers" knew what the end product was. Lots of unfinished business I guess.

Last edited by GM17*: 06-11-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 02:25 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Prometheus sucked donkey balls.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Ripshot 43

Thanks for taking the time to post all that GM17.

I definitely understand someone giving this a lower score than me. The strangely dumb characters and decisions I just shoot up to be natural in movies because you wouldn't have a storyline half the time and or those moments you need in a "scary" movie. AKA, if everyone stayed together and didn't split up in scary movies then you normally wouldn't have any deaths. I'm not giving excuses... It's just the way most movies feel they need to go. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy a movie for what it's worth. Don't get me wrong though... I love dissecting movies with the best of them.

Spoil:

I took the opening scene as that engineer was selected to start the human race and he was necessarily left behind but they left because they knew his physical form would be broken down by the black substance.

Question for anyone. Did they ever say if the engineers created the black substance or if they just found an alien life form themselves?

Old
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Prometheus sucked donkey balls.
Your review... Though short.... Made me laugh

Old
06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Ripshot 43

Prometheus

Spoil:

Btw.... Prometheus 2 is coming. A friend of mine works with Patrick Wilson's(main scientists father in the dreams) father and he has confirmed that he's already signed on for a larger role in the second movie.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Prometheus

Spoil:

Btw.... Prometheus 2 is coming. A friend of mine works with Patrick Wilson's(main scientists father in the dreams) father and he has confirmed that he's already signed on for a larger role in the second movie.

Spoil:
Scott said it was going to even further off the Alien path, so I hope not. I mean, what the hell are they going to write a movie about? Girl leaves on ship and tries not to upset the thousands of pods while David repairs himself and goes touching everything again

Old
06-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Spoil:
Scott said it was going to even further off the Alien path, so I hope not. I mean, what the hell are they going to write a movie about? Girl leaves on ship and tries not to upset the thousands of pods while David repairs himself and goes touching everything again

Spoil:

Apparently theres also a Weyland logo at the end with the date 10-12-12 and now also a new viral video this week with the logo and date. I wonder if it's an announcement.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

SPOILER but hilarious. Prometheus questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

Old
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Epic.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
SPOILER but hilarious. Prometheus questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0

They missed the zombie.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Tarantino movies soundtracks are the best.

It is known.

Closed Thread