HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Another thing I'm wondering. Does he want to play for Randy Carlyle? If he said last fall when Carlyle was still with the Ducks that he would sign, and then a few months later when Carlyle is fired and he doesn't want to sign, isn't that a bit of a coincidence? Playing for a former Norris Trophy winner would be a little bit of a factor in where he wants to sign.
He told BB this past december that he wanted to play for the Ducks. try again

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Didn't Stuart's right just recently get traded to San Jose? Timmonen. Hartnell and many others as well. I suppose they all have bad business models as well? There is a reason teams do this, and isn't difficult to understand. Let me guess, GM's should do their best to fleece other GM's to get players as well?

Read my post again. Slowly this time. I said I don't see Burke going after this player, but if he did, I wouldn't be suprised to see him trade for his rights.
My apologies.

I thought you were saying if he chose to sign in Toronto for free, Burke would still find a way to compensate the Ducks.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
He told BB this past december that he wanted to play for the Ducks. try again
That was before Carlyle became Leafs head coach.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Didn't Stuart's right just recently get traded to San Jose? Timmonen. Hartnell and many others as well. I suppose they all have bad business models as well? There is a reason teams do this, and isn't difficult to understand. Let me guess, GM's should do their best to fleece other GM's to get players as well?

Read my post again. Slowly this time. I said I don't see Burke going after this player, but if he did, I wouldn't be suprised to see him trade for his rights.
You don't see Burke going after Justin Schultz? a player he had? a player he drafted? thats what he does he goes after people he has had in the past. He did it with Nonis, Carlyle, Lupul, Gardiner, Giguere, May, Dechamps all these people are people Burke knows in some way or another. It would shock me if Burke didn't make an effort to sign Schultz he loves to bring in people he knows and Schultz fits that bill

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
TrueCanuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
That is actually a very good point. For me there are three teams really in the mix. , , . IMO, Vancouver is a pretty good spot, however they need to get rid of cap. Whatever happens to Luongo may affect what happens to Shultz. If the Leafs trade for him and are up against the cap, well it would be hard to sign Shultz. IF the Canucks keep Luongo, they won't have enough cap space to sign Shultz. Edmonton in my opinion is looking for that #1 guy. However if the Leafs and Oilers both throw the same contract at him, then I think he signs with the Leafs. The Leafs have a former Norris Trophy Winner as their Head Coach. The Leafs have his roommate in Gardiner. The Leafs, well they did play his style of game. My guess: acquire: Justin Schultz, Roberto Luongo in the off-season. Though something I am hoping for, is a repeat of the Sedin picks with Burke in Vancouver. A top 6 of Lupul Grabo Kessel, Kulimen Galenchyuk Yakupov would be scary. Especcially with Gardiner and Shultz and Phaneuf up the PP.

no offense to all the leafs fans. but you think burke is going to get every good player available.... seriously not gonna happen. toronto maple leafs don't have the depth to trade for luongo, yakupov, galenchyuk, and schultz. if they did toronto would be losing a couple players, like lupul, gardiner, schenn.

TrueCanuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
You don't see Burke going after Justin Schultz? a player he had? a player he drafted? thats what he does he goes after people he has had in the past. He did it with Nonis, Carlyle, Lupul, Gardiner, Giguere, May, Dechamps all these people are people Burke knows in some way or another. It would shock me if Burke didn't make an effort to sign Schultz he loves to bring in people he knows and Schultz fits that bill
Not to mention he initially wanted Schultz, not Gardiner, in the Francois Beauchemin trade. You'd be naive to think Toronto isn't a player in the Justin Schultz sweepstakes. Personally, I think it's between Vancouver and Toronto. Vancouver is home and Toronto is where his pal, Jake Gardiner, is.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:13 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueCanuckle View Post
no offense to all the leafs fans. but you think burke is going to get every good player available.... seriously not gonna happen. toronto maple leafs don't have the depth to trade for luongo, yakupov, galenchyuk, and schultz. if they did toronto would be losing a couple players, like lupul, gardiner, schenn.
I don't think they'll get Yakupov, but there's a very real chance they can trade for Luongo, draft Galchenyuk with the 5th overall and sign Schultz as a UFA.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
There were reports that it was Schultz that Burke wanted in the Beachemin trade, over Gardiner. He seems to like the player, but what has happened with the ducks and this prospect I am sure didn't go unnoticed. Who knows; maybe they kick tires, but if the Leafs deem Schultz as a player with questionable morals and ethics that may sway them otherwise.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
they don't need to trade for schultz they can sign him as a UFA personally if they end up with schultz, Luongo and a big body forward like Clowe or Stewart I'll be happy

Old
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

After all is said and done, I hope Vancouver gets Justin Schultz and Toronto gets Roberto Luongo. Everyone goes home happy

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:15 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
I think one advantage that the Leafs have over almost every other team that must be looked at is where their farm team is. As far as I know The Leafs are the only team that has both their AHL and NHL team in the same city which means even if Schultz were to need some time in the AHL he would have easy access to the people running the Leafs.

Say he needs to meet with Burke or Nonis or Fletcher or RC it's as easy as driving to the ACC he doesn't need to be flown in because they are right there.

I think tat having your AHL team in the same city as your NHL team is a major advantage and I don't know why more teams don't do it.
When do prospects ever fly in to speak to their GM?

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

A team can offer Schultz the $925,000 max salary and the max bonuses of $2,850,000. $3,775,000 cap number. Actually play the kid in top 4 minutes so he reach those bonuses.

Maybe Schultz doesn't know where he wants to play. He has a list of teams. Richards didn't want his rights traded because he didn't want the obligation of having to sign with the team acquiring his rights. He wanted to be a free agent on July 1 and talk to a number of teams.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-
Del Zotto-

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Burrows Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
After all is said and done, I hope Vancouver gets Justin Schultz and Toronto gets Roberto Luongo. Everyone goes home happy
Everyone.. What about the Edmonton fans

Burrows Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:21 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I hope the leafs land both luongo and schultz then they get a top D prospect, a #1 goalie and with the #5 pick they will also get a top forward prospect

all of a sudden the Leafs would be looking real solid

Old
06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
If he reaches all those bonuses, yes, it does pay him that. That's entirely unlikely, so those bonuses will mainly refer to cap hit rather than to actually paid dollars. And I think he does understand that, and most do. It's just considered pretty safe to assume that the majority of teams will offer him the maximum amount of bonuses. No team will beat anyone out by paying more here.
They can offer him the bonuses but it only benefits Schultz if they allow him to achieve those bonuses. Which team uses more young players?Which team plays young defensemen? Some of the teams mentioned have multiple D under contract for next season or some teams prefer veteran D over going with kids on D. How do those situations benefit Schultz? He has to sit down with his agents at Newport Sports and figure out which team gives him the best opportunity to be the best player he can be. Not who his BFF is or playing in front of family which isn't always a great situation.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:44 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows Bite View Post
Everyone.. What about the Edmonton fans
they get a top goalie out of the divsion

Old
06-11-2012, 03:46 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I hope the leafs land both luongo and schultz then they get a top D prospect, a #1 goalie and with the #5 pick they will also get a top forward prospect

all of a sudden the Leafs would be looking real solid
Let's not go overboard.
They would, however, be competitive for the 8th playoff spot.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I think I'll just dig up all the arguments from Duck fans for as to why Chris Pronger wasn't a POS for what he pulled. He didn't just say he was committed to the Oilers....he signed a ****ing contract and then went public 3 days after the SC final and demanded a trade. I'm sure Duck fans will have some lame ass excuse as to why its a different situation. "it was Prongers right, and Schultz is just an evil dick"
Go ahead, I'm sure you will find some hypocritical comments. There always are some, I wouldn't doubt it. That said, you won't find any from me in that regard, I am certain. Plus, you don't really need a "lame ass" reasoning to say why they are actually rather different situations. There's a pretty good one, being the fact that you got decently reimbursed, with some of those pieces being important parts of your present and future. While it certainly sucked for the team at the time, you ended with with value, while we'll walk away with nothing, other than the knowledge of having indentified another good talent with a second round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They can offer him the bonuses but it only benefits Schultz if they allow him to achieve those bonuses. Which team uses more young players?Which team plays young defensemen? Some of the teams mentioned have multiple D under contract for next season or some teams prefer veteran D over going with kids on D. How do those situations benefit Schultz? He has to sit down with his agents at Newport Sports and figure out which team gives him the best opportunity to be the best player he can be. Not who his BFF is or playing in front of family which isn't always a great situation.
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to look at his priorities for his decision. I was strictly referring to the numbers involved and their likely complete lack of importance in this. Who knows what he wants. I just hope he'll join a team I do not particularly like and one that won't have enough trolls to rub it into our faces constantly, and feel the need to tell us how he did everything right...

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
Yes... hence my original comment. The only that is almost certain is that some idiot GM is going to pay him $3 million dollars.
You are wording it weirdly, though. Noone will end up actually paying him $3M dollars, because there's about zero chance he'll end up achieving nearly all those bonuses available in the CBA. Even teams with less money won't struggle to give him a maximum entry-level deal. There really isn't a contract you can give him that would bad, and certainly not bad enough to consider a GM an idiot for. If he wanted to collect as many offers as possible, he'd probably get twenty plus of those maximum-ELC deals. It really can't hurt.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:01 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Let's not go overboard.
They would, however, be competitive for the 8th playoff spot.
I think they could compete for a higher seed then that they were 2 points out of 4th on febuary 6th and then the goaltending imploded add a top goalie and they might have gotten home ice.

Throw in teams around them could be getting weaker with Boston possibly dealing thomas Sabres likely shopping roy (they shopped him at the deadline and I think they will shop him again) The northeast won't be as strong as it wasI don't think Not to mention Ottawa and montreal are huge question marks.

I think if they land Luongo they can finish as high as 2nd in the northeast with Boston still finishing first.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Angelus*
Smile Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Go ahead, I'm sure you will find some hypocritical comments. There always are some, I wouldn't doubt it. That said, you won't find any from me in that regard, I am certain. Plus, you don't really need a "lame ass" reasoning to say why they are actually rather different situations. There's a pretty good one, being the fact that you got decently reimbursed, with some of those pieces being important parts of your present and future. While it certainly sucked for the team at the time, you ended with with value, while we'll walk away with nothing
At the time the Pronger trade was horrible, the only real saving grace is that we got Eberle out of the deal, and yes Pronger was a huge **** for what he pulled.

I'm sorry you guys are kind of experiencing the same thing. Now imagine Schultz is a franchise defenceman and he does this 3 days after losing the SC final. Perspective, people.

Angelus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:25 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
At the time the Pronger trade was horrible, the only real saving grace is that we got Eberle out of the deal, and yes Pronger was a huge **** for what he pulled.

I'm sorry you guys are kind of experiencing the same thing. Now imagine Schultz is a franchise defenceman and he does this 3 days after losing the SC final. Perspective, people.
Omg I just noticed your username/avatar/avatar note

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
EarlGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Omg I just noticed your username/avatar/avatar note
Me too Gotta go watch an Angel episode

EarlGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post

Ducks get absolutely nothing...the most frustrating part.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
They don't have the assets (that they're willing to give up) to get Yakupov, and that's it. Schultz, Luongo, and Galchenyuk could be Leafs next season, though it's very unlikely all three become Leafs - in fact, there's a good chance none of them become Leafs.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote