HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 10:54 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The best thing in all of this was how passive agressive Getzlaf sounded about this in his interview. I always wondered how players felt about stuff like this, I would be really pissed too.

Really curious why Schultz didn't want to play in what SHOULD be an up and coming team in the Ducks. Maybe Boudreau?
The Ducks are not a bad organization. So the only reasons that make sense are, wants to go to a Canadian team, home or play with friend/s.
Hence my pick of teams that will get him: Leafs, Rangers, Canucks.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

In CBC's 30 thoughts thing, Elliotte Friedman has some news.

Quote:
15. At an Anaheim Ducks fan event last weekend, GM Bob Murray revealed two important bits of information. First, Justin Schultz informed the team he will test free agency, as expected. Second, Murray will meet with Teemu Selanne this week, but added the future Hall of Famer's plans may not be finalized.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-penguins.html

06-11-2012, 12:18 PM
haveandare

Voted no. Nobody gets guaranteed an NHL spot. Giving someone one of only 6 spots solely because they're willing to screw the team that drafted them is not a sound strategy. If he can't play better than Bickell, Eminger, Erixon, and whoever else ends up in the running for the bottom pairing, he doesn't deserve the time.

McD didn't jump right into the NHL and he's been a revelation. Being a good college player doesn't equate to being a good NHL player right away, especially on D. If he signs here and needs AHL time, he should get it just like everyone else. It's a bad idea to start making exceptions for players who have proven absolutely nothing.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:39 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I wouldn't like it, and I doubt it comes down to that, but for the sake of discussion I think I would give him the guarantee if it ensures signing him. Right now Girardi, Staal, McD and MDZ have roster spots locked up. Leaving 2 starting spots and a 7th spot. I think that Schultz falls in as the 5-6 guy anyway, so really it's his spot to lose.

Old
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I think that Schultz falls in as the 5-6 guy anyway, so really it's his spot to lose.
How exactly is that? How is it his spot to loose? I have my doubts that Erixon is going to be ready, but Schultz is? There are VERY few prospects that have made the jump from college straight to the NHL. Saying it is his spot to loose, presumes that he can come in and play at a minimum to the level that Stralman has played to. That is VERY hard for a rookie.

Not to mention the fact that you left out Sauer, who may or may not be ready. If he is, that means only one spot open. Schultz would have to leapfrog Stralman, Eminger or Erixon. For the purposes of this discussion, let's suppose that Erixon opens in the minors. I cannot see a rookie play to Stralman's level. ANd I am not a huge Stralman fan. But there is NO indication that he is capable of such an action. And to simply guarantee him a spot is sheer folly. Staal, MCD & MDZ were not guaranteed spots, but Schultz should be?

Old
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Where did this idea of guaranteeing a spot even come from? I haven't seen it reported anywhere that we would do that or that anyone else would. Even if management (for any team) WERE to make such a "guarantee", the player would then have to live up to his end of the bargain by not stinking up the joint - 'cause any coach is going to bench him, if he does.

Honestly, the best that any team can do is point to the opportunity - and we've got the competition beat in that regard. If he's looking at the best spot to start his career, he'll come here (SC challenger with a clear need for a) a RH dman and b) an offensively gifted dman). If he's concerned about other factors, such as playing with his favorite team growing up, playing with the greatest exposure, playing with a friend or playing close to home, then we likely lose him. That's what it comes down to.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Where did this idea of guaranteeing a spot even come from? I haven't seen it reported anywhere that we would do that or that anyone else would. Even if management (for any team) WERE to make such a "guarantee", the player would then have to live up to his end of the bargain by not stinking up the joint - 'cause any coach is going to bench him, if he does.

Honestly, the best that any team can do is point to the opportunity - and we've got the competition beat in that regard. If he's looking at the best spot to start his career, he'll come here (SC challenger with a clear need for a) a RH dman and b) an offensively gifted dman). If he's concerned about other factors, such as playing with his favorite team growing up, playing with the greatest exposure, playing with a friend or playing close to home, then we likely lose him. That's what it comes down to.
From the guy who started the new Schultz thread.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers don't guarantee spots. They tell the players they believe he is ready for pro hockey. The opportunity is there. Go get it. Torts doesn't like playing defensemen on their other side. His TB team had Boyle,Kubina and Sarich on the right side. Sydor,Cullimore and Lukowich on the left side. Even with the Rangers they have played mostly 3 lefties and 3 righties. Sometimes they played with 2 lefties and 4 righties and the other way around. Schultz will get his opportunity to play major minutes if he comes here.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No one is guaranteeing him anything other than competing for an open spot in camp.

The rest is up to him and the guys he's competing with/against.

Old
06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

It has also been a rumored demand of players in his position in the past including Blake Wheeler when he held out from Phoenix.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
egelband

for what it's worth, the ducks are getting royally screwed here. there should at least be some sort of compensation pick for losing a draft pick like this. harsh.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
for what it's worth, the ducks are getting royally screwed here. there should at least be some sort of compensation pick for losing a draft pick like this. harsh.
Well he is a 2nd round pick.

The pro contract rules are in some respects hurting NCAA recruitment.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:44 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
Unfortunately for the ducks, Schultz was a 2nd round pick. If he had been selected in the 1st round, the ducks would get a 2nd round pick as compensation.

We got a 2nd rounder when Cherepanov passed away. Calgary would have gotten a 2nd for Erixon if he had gone back into the draft.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:04 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Unfortunately for the ducks, Schultz was a 2nd round pick. If he had been selected in the 1st round, the ducks would get a 2nd round pick as compensation.

We got a 2nd rounder when Cherepanov passed away. Calgary would have gotten a 2nd for Erixon if he had gone back into the draft.
Maybe the rule should be changed. If a 1st round pick who goes unsigned gets you a compensatory 2nd, then a 2nd should get you a 4th and a 3rd a 6th...or something like that. It's one thing when a pick busts...but to have him walk for nothing does seem unfair.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
LordsCup*

Sure tell him he is guaranteed for a spot on the Rangers so he signs.

Then if he plays bad at camp tell him tough luck your starting in the minors.

Everyone wins!

Old
06-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Tawnos

Guaranteeing a rookie anything is stupid. Just plain stupid. Would you have been happy to guarantee Erixon a spot last year? That would've turned out badly. I can't believe 44 people already voted yes on this.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:05 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Well he is a 2nd round pick.

The pro contract rules are in some respects hurting NCAA recruitment.
everytime a player leaves school to become a ufas from mike van ryn to mike comrie to blake wheeler to justin schultz people say why would anyone pick a player from ncaa if they can just lose them. but then nothing changes cause everyone knows that these are the exceptions

Old
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
everytime a player leaves school to become a ufas from mike van ryn to mike comrie to blake wheeler to justin schultz people say why would anyone pick a player from ncaa if they can just lose them. but then nothing changes cause everyone knows that these are the exceptions
Mike Comrie? Are you sure on that one? He only played 2 years of college.

In the previous CBA, you didn't become a UFA until the year after your senior year. That at least provided some incentive to sign. Though Umberger still went UFA after he sat out the 2003-04 season.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Kershaw

Really salivating at the thought of adding him to the corps. I think it's too good to be true. Why would he choose to join the Rangers when he can be gifted minutes from the start with the Oilers, Canucks or Leafs?

Old
06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Really salivating at the thought of adding him to the corps. I think it's too good to be true. Why would he choose to join the Rangers when he can be gifted minutes from the start with the Oilers, Canucks or Leafs?
Leafs and Oilers are not going anywhere. Vancouver played an entire 5 games this post season. Also, it looks like they don't like young players over there. Who knows. Plus, if you're a rookie D...which goalie do you want covering your mistakes. Certainly not Khabibulin, Dubnyk, Reimer, Gustafsson. And who knows what happens with Vancouver's goaltending this summer? Does he want easy minutes and to miss the playoffs, or does he want to earn his minutes on a contending team?

Old
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Don't get them riled up...

Old
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 3000
Guarantee is a strong word, so I said no. I would give him the benefit of the doubt in training camp if he makes a few mistakes, but that's about it. If he ****s up in the regular season and needs some time in the AHL, I would send him down.

I don't care how good people think he is. There are no guarantees I would ever give to a rookie.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Old
06-11-2012, 06:27 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers don't guarantee spots. They tell the players they believe he is ready for pro hockey. The opportunity is there. Go get it. Torts doesn't like playing defensemen on their other side. His TB team had Boyle,Kubina and Sarich on the right side. Sydor,Cullimore and Lukowich on the left side. Even with the Rangers they have played mostly 3 lefties and 3 righties. Sometimes they played with 2 lefties and 4 righties and the other way around. Schultz will get his opportunity to play major minutes if he comes here.
So, are you thinking that at some point next season we could see:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Shultz
Del Zotto-Stralman

And Erixon as a 7th Dman?

Old
06-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Leafs and Oilers are not going anywhere. Vancouver played an entire 5 games this post season. Also, it looks like they don't like young players over there. Who knows. Plus, if you're a rookie D...which goalie do you want covering your mistakes. Certainly not Khabibulin, Dubnyk, Reimer, Gustafsson. And who knows what happens with Vancouver's goaltending this summer? Does he want easy minutes and to miss the playoffs, or does he want to earn his minutes on a contending team?
I don't know about you, but if I'm stepping into the league I want a team where I know that if I make mistakes, I wouldn't be crucified and that I'll have an oppurtunity to fit in with a younger core. It's laughable when people suggest the Oilers are going nowhere. They have 3 first overall forwards and 2 former all star forwards. Team is still very, very young. If I was Schultz, I would pick Edmonton followed by New York and then Vancouver/Toronto.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Mike Comrie? Are you sure on that one? He only played 2 years of college.

In the previous CBA, you didn't become a UFA until the year after your senior year. That at least provided some incentive to sign. Though Umberger still went UFA after he sat out the 2003-04 season.
comrie left michigan after 2 years to play juniors for the kootenay ice and due to the same loophole that made van ryn a ufa, he would have been a ufa if not signed at the end of the year...oilers avoided it by signing him to a 3yr, $10 mil contract mid-season

Closed Thread