Draft a defensemen. 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 08:38 AM
TZM
Par too easy

vCash: 500
I tend to blend Ural Mocca and milk. I never check out the ratio. Bailey's is way too sugary for me.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthetrap View Post
I really like Dumba. What are some negatives about him? From what I have read it seems like an all around monster out there.
IMO there's not much knock against him. He's been an explosive offensive player, physical, an outstanding leader, great attitude and work ethic, and his defensive play is just fine on average.

Some people don't like him because he's skinny. Which makes no sense to me. I'd rather have an underweight than overweight defenseman. Lower weight means lower body fat which means they tend to be able to play tons and tons of minutes. Plus, he's a teenager, he will bulk up just fine.

Being underweight and a little inconsistent defensively are probably the two easiest things to "fix". So again, I don't get the knocks against him.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:53 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
IMO there's not much knock against him. He's been an explosive offensive player, physical, an outstanding leader, great attitude and work ethic, and his defensive play is just fine on average.

Some people don't like him because he's skinny. Which makes no sense to me. I'd rather have an underweight than overweight defenseman. Lower weight means lower body fat which means they tend to be able to play tons and tons of minutes. Plus, he's a teenager, he will bulk up just fine.

Being underweight and a little inconsistent defensively are probably the two easiest things to "fix". So again, I don't get the knocks against him.

I thought as has been mentioned in this thread his knock was hockey sense. Where he makes stupid plays and gets caught out of position, if that's true then it's not easy to fix at all.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:58 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:

Semi out of position Dman who is undersized for the physical game he plays. The real concern is that he'll be too banged up by the time he is able to play defense at the NHL level. I don't think it's a massive concern, but it's important to project out a prospects "hockey life", something that often gets lost in the projection analysis.

For example, if Dumba has 10 years of good hockey left in him, but is going to take 4 years to make an impact in the NHL, you are really only looking at 6 valuable NHL seasons out of him. Where when you look at Murray and his play style, you could estimate that he'll play 15 years in the league, and only take 2 years to be an impact player.

That's 13 season vs. 6 seasons. Even if the players on-ice value is similiar. Which means Murray > Dumba

Old
06-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You realize it's possible for people to gain weight and muscle mass, right?

And I haven't heard a bad thing at all about his hockey sense.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:23 AM
nickschultzfan

A lot of mocks have the Ducks drafting a Dman at #6. For some reason, I can see them drafting a quality forward. Maybe Teravainen or even Faska. We could potentially see 5 forwards drafted before the Wild pick, with the Wild getting the 2nd overall Dman.

I know some people want more offensive spark than Murray, but if he dropped to #7, I would be so happy. He offensively produced well in international tournaments, and he could eat up huge minutes. And he and Brodin could be massive, massive Dmen for us for a very long time. That's would be an auto-awesome top-4.

Imagine:

Suter-Brodin
Murray-Scandella
Spurgeon-Stoner
Falk/Kampfer

That would just rock so bad.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthetrap View Post
I really like Dumba. What are some negatives about him? From what I have read it seems like an all around monster out there.
There are concerns about his defensive hockey sense. Offensively, he's great. Great shot, great hitter etc etc. Some people just aren't convinced his defensive play is strong enough and raises some questions on how he will do in the NHL level.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 800
I've heard concerns about Dumba's height, and whether he'll be able to continue his style of play at the NHL level.

Old
06-11-2012, 12:13 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
A lot of mocks have the Ducks drafting a Dman at #6. For some reason, I can see them drafting a quality forward. Maybe Teravainen or even Faska. We could potentially see 5 forwards drafted before the Wild pick, with the Wild getting the 2nd overall Dman.

I know some people want more offensive spark than Murray, but if he dropped to #7, I would be so happy. He offensively produced well in international tournaments, and he could eat up huge minutes. And he and Brodin could be massive, massive Dmen for us for a very long time. That's would be an auto-awesome top-4.

Imagine:

Suter-Brodin
Murray-Scandella
Spurgeon-Stoner
Falk/Kampfer

That would just rock so bad.
Murray is very similar to Brodin in his play, not to mention that they both shoot left. Dumba would be a nice complement to Brodin, including being a right handed shot. Trouba is also a righty.

L - R
Suter-Gilbert
Brodin-Dumba
Scandella-Spurgeon
Stoner
Falk
Prosser
Kampfer

06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
topshelf20

Quote:

Actually, for a defensemen we would like to log top-end minutes, an ideal body fat percentage would be about 12% (which can be interpreted as high by some). Nonetheless, this extra body fat gives him more in the tank to eat up big minutes over the course of a season. Of course, it would not take much to put a little extra healthy weight on him! Dumba sounds like an animal!

Old
06-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Trouba is also a righty.
I'm really high on drafting Trouba. It just seems he would fit so many needs for us. Rielly is kinda turning me into a believer after his combine showing, he was just a beast.

TTTRRROOOUUUBBBAAA!!!

Old
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I've heard concerns about Dumba's hockey sense, especially defensively.

As far as Murray falling to 7th, if he does, and we pass on him for anyone not named Yakupov, Forsberg, or Galchenyuk, it would be a huuuuuge mistake.

Old
06-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I have Murray above Forsberg.

TROUBA!

Old
06-11-2012, 03:09 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I have Murray above Forsberg.

TROUBA!
I do too personally, and even though I don't think they would take Forsberg over Murray, I wouldn't be upset if they did.

The order of how I'd pick them:

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Murray
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Rielly
Trouba
Teravainen
Dumba
Reinhart

Old
06-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Bingo! That list is where its at.

TROUBA!

Old
06-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 800
I have Forsberg above Murray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
I do too personally, and even though I don't think they would take Forsberg over Murray, I wouldn't be upset if they did.

The order of how I'd pick them:

Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Murray
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Rielly
Trouba
Teravainen
Dumba
Reinhart
I'd bet money that Dumba gets taken before Rielly, Trouba, and Taravainen.

I'd bet vMoney that Forsberg and Grigorenko get taken before Murray.

#opinions

Old
06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

#opinions
I don't necessarily disagree, I was just saying if I was in charge, that's the order I'd take them in. I didn't take into account the teams drafting and their needs.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:40 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

*fires up the Slater Koekkoek hype machine*

Old
06-11-2012, 06:21 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I have Forsberg above Murray.

#opinions
Stop getting me excited about Murray falling to us. Much more excited for that than Grigorenko falling to #7.

To all those people who think he's not going to produce at the NHL level, I'm just going to say "Blah blah blah blah." That guy is going to be a stud #1 Dman one day.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Sportsfan1

Hey what do you guys think of Teravainen should the Wild draft him? Another Finn.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Hey what do you guys think of Teravainen should the Wild draft him? Another Finn.
I'd like that pick 'cos I've seen him a lot and from what I've seen he's kept getting better and better. Ofcourse it affects my view on him when I've seen a lot more of him than the other draftees. That been said I really like what I've seen and I see great potential in him.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I don't want a Finnish national team. I only want to draft him if he is truly is the best pick, which he won't be.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:43 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I don't want a Finnish national team. I only want to draft him if he is truly is the best pick, which he won't be.
I don't care for the Finnish national team but I don't want another flashy midget. I am ok for trading down and taking maatta. But theuvO is just too damn small

Old
06-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Yup. I want a monster at number seven that eats criminals for breakfast and defecates wins at night.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:32 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
false.
Skipping a ton of posts I'm still catching up on, but I strongly disagree (previous post was "It's easier to get a quality defenseman than the player Grigs is projected to be").

Now if the statement was "elite defenseman" I would agree, but quality defensemen are routinely picked in the late first and early to mid second. Once in a while a Suter or Subban will appear in that range as well. Defensemen are much longer term projects and harder to project so it's not uncommon for them to end up being later picks. Forwards are usually far more clear cut on their upside. It's pretty rare to get a truly high end forward late, but "quality" defensemen end up being selected throughout the draft.

Closed Thread