HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing that I think sort of gets mixed up here is that people look at what Staal can get on the opened market and then say, "Well that's what Shero has to pay to keep him." I say false. As a player, you get opened market money when you hit the opened market. That's not as desirable a position for Staal right now as would be signing a brand new deal going into next season. That's ideal. Getting paid opened market money a year early is Staal having his cake and eating it too. If he wants that sort of money, he's going to have to play this season without a contract for next year. That's a huge risk on his part, especially considering Shero would probably be real quick to sign him to a deal in the 5-5.5 range, which as I said before, is a very good, competitive salary for what he brings, and players he is routinely compared to makes about the same.

Staal also doesn't have leverage here. He's not a top 6 center here where we have to sign him or we're doomed. He's a luxury so Shero doesn't have to succumb to his offers. What he can do is trade Staal where ever he sees fit if Jordan doesn't want to sign, and again, that's not even slightly desirable for Staal. He'd rather be here, he has said as much, which is why I think he will take a market deal a year before being a free agent v. riding this year out and getting 6+ million (if he gets that due to the cap tanking).
Shero can't trade him to places he doesn't want to sign because teams aren't going to give us nearly as much for Staal if they don't have the chance to talk to him about signing before making the trade. I think 5.5ish is as low as he goes. I figure 5.5-6 if he signs here. I don't see him going below that. I don't see us going above that.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Shero can't trade him to places he doesn't want to sign because teams aren't going to give us nearly as much for Staal if they don't have the chance to talk to him about signing before making the trade. I think 5.5ish is as low as he goes. I figure 5.5-6 if he signs here. I don't see him going below that. I don't see us going above that.
Even at that price, he really has to switch to the wing position, and be given better PP time. Otherwise the best wingers Crosby/Malkin will get is going to be Kunitz and Neal.

Kinda of makes you wonder how he would have turned out had Talbot been able to hold down the 3rd C job years ago, and if that meant that Staal would have stayed on the wing instead of slotting behind Crosby and Malkin.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:05 PM
mr sidney crosby

Am i the only one that thinks these deals to the maple leafs and hurricanes is very generous for us?
To toronto:
Staal
Martin
for
Kulemin
schenn
Kadri
5th overall
We get great size in kulemin and schenn, skill in kadri, and the chance of getting grigenko. Also, dump martin's salary.
Or another deal i'd be tickled to death is
To carolina:
Staal
3rd round pick
for
sutter
mcbain
8th overall

Old
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
mpp9

I'd say 5.5 mil is a good number for both parties. It's doable until Letang needs his raise. After that, it'll get tricky especially if we want some more talent on the wing.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd say 5.5 mil is a good number for both parties. It's doable until Letang needs his raise. After that, it'll get tricky especially if we want some more talent on the wing.
that's two years away where the cap will most likely keep going up.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
mpp9

Quote:
that's two years away where the cap will most likely keep going up.
I doubt the cap stays at 70 mil. But we'll see.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
When Letang is up for his contract I would be surprised if it isn't higher unless the league starts going back downhill as far as revenue goes.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
So Minny will be throwing the kitchen sink at Zach.

Honestly, I'm intrigued by where he goes, even if it's not here. You have NJ, Minnesota, Detroit, maybe the Rangers and even us that could be players. Should be crazy come July 1.
could make HFboards Penguins crush object Devin Charlie Kenichi Setoguchi expendable for Martin + something!

Old
06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
mpp9

Quote:
When Letang is up for his contract I would be surprised if it isn't higher unless the league starts going back downhill as far as revenue goes.
If the league allows us to give Sid/Geno a legit linemate each, retain Staal and Letang, then great. But that's too good to be true IMO.

That's besides the point with Staal. I see him leaving b/c of role. Shero would pay him enough to retain him at least in the short term. Whether it be a short term deal or trading him after signing something longterm.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
mr sidney crosby

Who's some of the better wingers and defensmen that you can see the penguins taking a chance on this offseason?

Old
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
The cap will stay @ 70 mil pre rollback........right now the players make 57% and by the time the CBA is signed it will be closer to 50 or 51%. Means everyone's salary in the NHL will get rolled back by that %.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Who's some of the better wingers and defensmen that you can see the penguins taking a chance on this offseason?
If we knew that, we would be working for TSN

Old
06-11-2012, 09:33 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
If we knew that, we would be working for TSN

I know but i want your opinions. Imo, shero might go after parise, ray whitney, or bryan allen.

Btw, i've never seen tsn get something right. They be like so and so will definitly sign here and they end up signing some where else.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
The cap will stay @ 70 mil pre rollback........right now the players make 57% and by the time the CBA is signed it will be closer to 50 or 51%. Means everyone's salary in the NHL will get rolled back by that %.
I think you're dreaming if the PA will allow salaries to role back. They will likely have to concede the % going down to 50-53. But if the NHL insists on players taking an individual role back (like the last time), then we're not going to have hockey in Oct.

The PA didn't bring Fehr in for nothing. I'm fairly certain they'll grudgingly drop the %. But this is the guy that is very tough to deal with... and there's no way they'll accept the players taking an individual hit.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Am i the only one that thinks these deals to the maple leafs and hurricanes is very generous for us?
To toronto:
Staal
Martin
for
Kulemin
schenn
Kadri
5th overall
We get great size in kulemin and schenn, skill in kadri, and the chance of getting grigenko. Also, dump martin's salary.
Or another deal i'd be tickled to death is
To carolina:
Staal
3rd round pick
for
sutter
mcbain
8th overall
The Toronto one is alright but still not worth it. Kulimen has yet to prove he is a one season wonder, Kadri is looking more & more like a bust, & Schenn's play this year makes our defense look like all-stars. Maybe it was just a real bad year for all of them but maybe previous years are were just another case of players looking better than they are because they were on a bad team. At one point Poni & Kaberle looked liked excellent players.

If we want to get better for next year by trading Staal it would have to be a one for one player swap. An impact player for another.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:01 PM
sch28

I wouldn't mind looking at signing Jason Garrison. Had a big season for Florida this past year. 16 goals, 127 hits, and 124 blocked shots. 6'1 220 pounds and only 27.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Iron Mike

The Zach Parise Watch

Well the Devils just lost and that dramatically decreases their chances of re-signing him. There have been some rumblings of him coming to Pittsburgh and I just thought I would create a thread where everybody could post any info or thoughts on the chances of him becoming a Penguin.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
metalan2

1% chance he becomes a Penguin.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

If Martin or Staal are moved before or on July 1st, I think we have a REALLY good chance of signing Parise, especially with Sid on the verge of a new 10-year deal at a minimal raise.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:40 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Why would NJ losing drastically affect him not signing there? They did come in 2nd which is pretty impressive since only one team does

Old
06-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
of course you'd find a thread like this on the board of "one of the most arrogant organizations in the league."

Old
06-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Iron Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
Why would NJ losing drastically affect him not signing there? They did come in 2nd which is pretty impressive since only one team does
The Devils are going to be cash strapped for a while. Brodeur will be retiring soon. He is going to want to go to a place where he can win a cup. I am not sure the Devils can be contenders every year. The fact they don't have the fan support that they should also doesn't help.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

How are they cash strapped?

NJ on Cap Geek

Old
06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

If not here, I hope he ends up in Minnesota (i.e. relative obscurity) but I feel like he's going to end up in Detroit. I'll be shocked if they don't snag either him or Suter.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Iron Mike

They are going to have to pay some of their good young players. The Kovalchuk deal may prove to be a killer. I imagine they will be in the hunt for a top goalie in the coming years. Those don't come cheap. You can ask they Flyers. I just don't think they can be competitive year in and year out and Parise will want to go somewhere that can win the cup every year.

The Penguins do have cap issues. They do have movable salary and will give him the chance to play alongside the best player in the world for years to come. I have to think that he would strongly consider coming to the Pens.

Closed Thread