Draft a defensemen. 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
I've warmed a little on Murray. My current ranking of players (for this team specifically) is now:

1. Yakupov

2. Galchenyuk

3. Murray
4. Grigorenko
5. Rielly

6. Dumba

7. Trouba
8. Forsberg
9. Reinhart

10. Faksa

I put spaces in where my personal rankings put a gap between players. That Trouba/Forsberg/Reinhart section is a dead heat that I'll probably order differently by tomorrow morning though.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Skipping a ton of posts I'm still catching up on, but I strongly disagree (previous post was "It's easier to get a quality defenseman than the player Grigs is projected to be").

Now if the statement was "elite defenseman" I would agree, but quality defensemen are routinely picked in the late first and early to mid second. Once in a while a Suter or Subban will appear in that range as well. Defensemen are much longer term projects and harder to project so it's not uncommon for them to end up being later picks. Forwards are usually far more clear cut on their upside. It's pretty rare to get a truly high end forward late, but "quality" defensemen end up being selected throughout the draft.
Um, aren't you contradicting yourself here?

Old
06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
Yup. I want a monster at number seven that eats criminals for breakfast and defecates wins at night.
This post annihlates.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:47 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
No, he's saying he disagrees with the "false", but agrees with the post before it.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Not sure what you're getting at unless you're confused by the post order. OP said "quality defensemen can be found later," rynryn disagreed, I strongly disagreed with rynryn (thereby agreeing with the OP).

Old
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
No, he's saying he disagrees with the "false", but agrees with the post before it.
Thanks, beat me to the reply.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Thanks, beat me to the reply.
Ahh, gotcha - the danger of skipping to the end.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
I've warmed a little on Murray. My current ranking of players (for this team specifically) is now:

I put spaces in where my personal rankings put a gap between players. That Trouba/Forsberg/Reinhart section is a dead heat that I'll probably order differently by tomorrow morning though.
I'd switch Dumba and Forsberg. Thats a good list. But I'm just putting too much stock on forwards, I like the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
This post annihlates.
Thank you. I had to remind people.

Old
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
My list:

1. Yakupov
2. Galchenyuk
3. Trouba
4. Reilly
5. Forsberg
6. Murray
7. Teravainen
8. Collberg
9. Grigorenko
10. Maata

Yeah, it's a bit unorthodox, but its how I would draft if given the opportunity. I would be campaigning hard for Gally or Yaks, but I know they'll be gone. Trouba, however, probably won't be.

Trouba is the hard hitting #2 defenseman that I dream of. If we could snag him and put him in a Top-4 with Brodin, Scandella, and Gilbert, I would probably cream my pants.

Reilly has grown on me lately. I would still rather take Trouba, but Reilly is definitely a possibility to me.

Teravainen is awesome, but I like others more.

And reading up on Collberg in the last few days, he really has snuck up my list. His only flaw, from what I've read, is his selfishness(admittedly because he hasn't had the greatest of teammates) and his strength. Both of which can be fixed. An ideal 1st line tweener, 2nd line stud, IMO. Possibly throw him on a Phillips/Granlund/Collberg line and watch the league be destroyed.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
And reading up on Collberg in the last few days, he really has snuck up my list. His only flaw, from what I've read, is his selfishness(admittedly because he hasn't had the greatest of teammates) and his strength. Both of which can be fixed. An ideal 1st line tweener, 2nd line stud, IMO. Possibly throw him on a Phillips/Granlund/Collberg line and watch the league be destroyed.
My biggest concern on Collberg is 41GP 0G 0A -8. Outside of accidental viewing at the WJC, I haven't seen him play, but no matter what league he's in you have to worry about a player who is supposed to be a scorer by failed to register a single point in an entire season. I wouldn't mind picking him at 16 if we somehow swung a 7 for 11 + 16 trade with Washington, but I wouldn't even consider him in the top 10 at this point. I mean, even Staubitz has never managed to have a 0 point season (he scored 1 goal after Montreal picked him up this year).

My other concern about Collberg is team specific. We're already undersized up front, Collberg's 5'11" frame wouldn't be doing us any favors on that point. If we had more size up front in other young players and prospects I wouldn't worry, but with the makeup of our pool I'd worry.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I would actually like to see that 7 for 11+16 trade. Make sure Teräväinen is on board at #7, trade with WSH, Washington picks Teräväinen, we pick Määttä at #11 and Frk/Collberg/Åberg at #16. BOOM.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Murray has dropped all the way to 13 on Craig Button's list. I don't even have a clue which d-man the Wild may draft now. The rankings are switching it seems like every day.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Murray has dropped all the way to 13 on Craig Button's list. I don't even have a clue which d-man the Wild may draft now. The rankings are switching it seems like every day.
I think Button is not making mock drafts, or even ranking prospects based on their skills and potential, but is in fact listing them based on how much he likes them. Then again, he does have more experience than I do.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I have Forsberg above Murray.

I'd bet money that Dumba gets taken before Rielly, Trouba, and Taravainen.

I'd bet vMoney that Forsberg and Grigorenko get taken before Murray.

#opinions
I think Dumba may fall like Fowler did.

Forsberg, I may agree with you. But I have my doubts Grigorenko will go above Murray.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I think Button is not making mock drafts, or even ranking prospects based on their skills and potential, but is in fact listing them based on how much he likes them. Then again, he does have more experience than I do.
That's more or less how Button's rankings work. He used to be a scout, and his rankings look a lot more like the average team's rankings than any consensus list does. He likes some players (like Dumba and Galchenyuk) and dislikes others (like Murray and Grigorenko) and ranks them accordingly. TSN makes it abundantly clear it's a ranking and not a mock draft.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I think Dumba may fall like Fowler did.

Forsberg, I may agree with you. But I have my doubts Grigorenko will go above Murray.
If Columbus goes with Forsberg (I still think they draft Murray) I can see Grigs and Forsberg both going before Murray, but that would require the Islanders to either pick up Grigs or Dumba/other D (as Montreal seems to be leaning away from Grigorenko).

Old
06-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Sportsfan1

I'll be shocked if Edmonton takes Yakopuv, i think this draft is really hard to predict and there will be a lot of surprises this year. Though i don't see teams really moving up that much, not like this draft is deep in true top end talent. I think teams will really pick surprising in terms of where some players are ranked.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
I'll be shocked if Edmonton takes Yakopuv, i think this draft is really hard to predict and there will be a lot of surprises this year. Though i don't see teams really moving up that much, not like this draft is deep in true top end talent. I think teams will really pick surprising in terms of where some players are ranked.
If there's one thing that won't be surprising in this draft, it will be Edmonton taking Yakupov.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
If there's one thing that won't be surprising in this draft, it will be Edmonton taking Yakupov.
This.

Yakupov is in a tier of his own in this draft. Pretty much the only way Edmonton picks someone other than Yakupov is if they trade out of the first pick or Tambellini loses his mind.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Or the Wild claiming they got their guy. But that won't be a case of them blowing smoke; I think they have a good eye for talent.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:51 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Or the Wild claiming they got their guy. But that won't be a case of them blowing smoke; I think they have a good eye for talent.
Doesn't matter if you have the best eye for talent in the world if one of the 6 teams ahead of you picks the guy you want most. That said, I'm sure this regime will select someone who works out at least well enough for us to not regret the pick.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:11 PM
forthewild

Quote:
If Columbus goes with Forsberg (I still think they draft Murray) I can see Grigs and Forsberg both going before Murray, but that would require the Islanders to either pick up Grigs or Dumba/other D (as Montreal seems to be leaning away from Grigorenko).
I have a big feeling it goes talipot then galchenyuk, followed by forsberg, from there dumbs and Murray could be gone. I won't be shocked if Burke takes faksa. I can see grigorenko falling to 7th.

I will trust our scouting staff on that call if grigorenko is there at 7. My personal dream would be to trade down, ideally with Washington for their two firsts

To me two of

Lindholm, maatta, Cecil, collberg, etc sounds pretty good.

Old
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I have a big feeling it goes talipot then galchenyuk, followed by forsberg, from there dumbs and Murray could be gone. I won't be shocked if Burke takes faksa. I can see grigorenko falling to 7th.

I will trust our scouting staff on that call if grigorenko is there at 7. My personal dream would be to trade down, ideally with Washington for their two firsts

To me two of

Lindholm, maatta, Cecil, collberg, etc sounds pretty good.
Is "talipot" an interesting typo for Yakupov?

Old
06-12-2012, 12:34 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Bet it's an auto-correct. Nail Talipot.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:48 AM
LemaireisGOD

Wild Draft Preview: Forwards

http://stateofhockeynews.com/2012-ar...-forwards.html

I have identified 5 forwards I think might be available when the Wild draft, who fit the team's needs. I am sure it won't be a big surprise but I hope it can offer a little more insight nonetheless. Enjoy!

Closed Thread