HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread Version 14.0: Moving down are we?

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
Dumba is the most overrated player in the draft. He is nothing more than a Beauchemin or Kronwall at best.

He tries to lay people out and is caught out of position all the time. In the NHL he will get chewed up for that. Also he was a non factor for Red Deer and was one of the main reasons they didn't make the playoffs.
Doesn't really matter, Red Line has already said there isn't a #1 defender to be had in this draft, so what everyone is salivating over is which #2 they might land.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
06-11-2012, 09:34 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
Dumba is the most overrated player in the draft. He is nothing more than a Beauchemin or Kronwall at best.

He tries to lay people out and is caught out of position all the time. In the NHL he will get chewed up for that. Also he was a non factor for Red Deer and was one of the main reasons they didn't make the playoffs.
He makes me very nervous. I don't want him going out of his way to make the big hit and then he is out of position.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

Toronto Draft 2012 Best player or team need.

IF (and I realize it is highly unlikely) the top 4 ranked forwards in the 2012 draft happen to go 1 through 4 (Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Filip Forsberg, Alex Galchenyuk) who would you draft

For added interest, do you think Brian Burke would do the same thing?

most would agree the best player on the board is Ryan Murray but the leafs need a (probably big) centre. With somebody like Faksa on the board could Murray slip to 6?

Personally I believe you have to take the best player, and then you can shop Murray or another d-man (Schenn, Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Gardiner) to best improve your team

Old
06-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Schennanigans

When your team has a lot of holes to fill, it's always bpa.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
BPA. You draft prospects. Prospects take time to develop. By the time they have developed, your needs could be and likely will be very different. Could always trade the BPA at the time in the future for a need.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:39 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
How in your infinite wisdom, can you project with such accuracy that Dumba (or any other prospect for that matter) how well they will do in the NHL? I don`t think you have seen him play at all. You failed to mention his shot, he has a pretty good outlet pass, and is a very good skater.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Looking at the Kings the Leafs need one more quality forward from the draft next year.

Biggest need is a 1st. line center bar none. Grabovski would be at best 3rd. line center on the Kings, and he's the Leafs best with nothing in the minors.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Hurt

Quote:

I assume you mean Nik Kronwall since you mentioned his name along with Beauch's. They're both solid D-men who've been cogs in their respective teams winning Cups. Don't really see how that is 'nothing'.

06-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Doesn't really matter, Red Line has already said there isn't a #1 defender to be had in this draft, so what everyone is salivating over is which #2 they might land.
What was an 18 year old Shea Weber projected to be when he was taken in the 2nd round? Chara or Lidstrom in the 3rd? Would you like me to continue?

Last edited by Drew311: 06-11-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Looking at the Kings the Leafs need one more quality forward from the draft next year.

Biggest need is a 1st. line center bar none. Grabovski would be at best 3rd. line center on the Kings, and he's the Leafs best with nothing in the minors.
I think it's unfair to him to say he would be 3rd on the LA Kings. Don't get me wrong, it is true, but they have incredible depth at center. Grabo is a 2nd line center on most teams, possibly 1st on one or two.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
What was an 18 year old Shea Weber projected to be when he was taken in the 2nd round? Chara or Lidstrom in the 3rd? Would you like me to continue?
So which one of these #2 defenders are you projecting to be Chara or Lidstrom?

Old
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
for every Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, you get more likely chance of drafting just a decent player.

Old
06-11-2012, 09:58 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
I think it's unfair to him to say he would be 3rd on the LA Kings. Don't get me wrong, it is true, but they have incredible depth at center. Grabo is a 2nd line center on most teams, possibly 1st on one or two.
You are right, but the intent is to build a Cup winning team not another mediocre team that 16 GM's do every year.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
So which one of these #2 defenders are you projecting to be Chara or Lidstrom?
That's the point. You never know what these kids will turn into. Every so-called analyst can try to project using all the information and formulas they want. You never know what you have until they make or don't make the NHL.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoVonMatterho View Post
IF (and I realize it is highly unlikely) the top 4 ranked forwards in the 2012 draft happen to go 1 through 4 (Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Filip Forsberg, Alex Galchenyuk) who would you draft

For added interest, do you think Brian Burke would do the same thing?

most would agree the best player on the board is Ryan Murray but the leafs need a (probably big) centre. With somebody like Faksa on the board could Murray slip to 6?

Personally I believe you have to take the best player, and then you can shop Murray or another d-man (Schenn, Phaneuf, Gunnarson, Gardiner) to best improve your team
I have a bias towards position but the prospects have to be remotely equal. I would make a real effort to deal the pick if it were Murray there. If there are clubs that rate him at #2 he would create some interesting opportunities. How about dealing him to the Jackets for their #1 next year? Failing that I might consider swinging for the fences and take Rielly. No idea what Burke would do.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's the point. You never know what these kids will turn into. Every so-called analyst can try to project using all the information and formulas they want. You never know what you have until they make or don't make the NHL.
Yep, and which one of these forwards is going to be Kopitar, or Malkin?

Old
06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I have a bias towards position but the prospects have to be remotely equal. I would make a real effort to deal the pick if it were Murray there. If there are clubs that rate him at #2 he would create some interesting opportunities. How about dealing him to the Jackets for their #1 next year? Failing that I might consider swinging for the fences and take Rielly. No idea what Burke would do.
I'd rather deal the 5th. overall for 1 year rental of Staal than select some defender for 2015.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:17 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Taking Red Line as the gospel is probably a pretty poor decision.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Taking Red Line as the gospel is probably a pretty poor decision.
Grigorenko would probably agree with you.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Not related to this draft but, Button says that the Leafs best prospect right now is Tyler Biggs.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Drew311
Bringer of Rain

Quote:
Yep, and which one of these forwards is going to be Kopitar, or Malkin?
Let's keep the conversation on the adult level, you're better than a childish response like this.....I think.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
topched

Quote:
Grigorenko would probably agree with you.
You're totally right.

Why do teams even hire scouts? I'm surprised guys like Dave Morrison even have a job. Those guys are lucky as **** to be holding down these useless b.s. positions within NHL organizations

You or I could easily do their job, I mean how ****ing hard can it be to read Redline and the ISS reports and just announce names into a microphone.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Too many people are talking about how they would be happy with a dman at 5. I think they are just hedging their expectations, not getting too committed to one player. It is unacceptable for Burke to not pick one of the top 4 forwards.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Smif

Quote:

I'd like to try Grabovski on the wing if we had some good center depth.

Grabovski - Grigorenko - Kadri or something like that.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:40 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Let's keep the conversation on the adult level, you're better than a childish response like this.....I think.
You want restrictions on just one side of the conversation?

You brought up Chara and Lidstrom but we can't bring up Kopitar and Malkin?

If any defender has potential to be Chara or Lidstrom why can't any forward have similar potential?

Closed Thread