HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 20th Overall

View Poll Results: Who do you want the Flyers to select 20th overall?
Derrick Pouliot 8 11.11%
Matt Finn 34 47.22%
Pontus Åberg 4 5.56%
Andrei Vasilevski 3 4.17%
Nicolas Kerdiles 0 0%
Martin Frk 1 1.39%
Malcolm Subban 7 9.72%
Ludvig Byström 10 13.89%
Tom Wilson 4 5.56%
Henrik Samuelsson 1 1.39%
Scott Laughton 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Smallz

vCash: 500
HF Team Board Mock Draft - 20th Overall

Please select the player you want the Flyers to select 20th overall at the draft

Draft Results:
1) EDM - Nail Yakupov RW (Sarnia, OHL)
2) CBJ - Ryan Murray D (Everett, WHL) - 48.28%
3) MTL - Alex Galchenyuk C (Sarnia, OHL) - 51.57%
4) NYI - Mikhail Grigorenko RW (Quebec, QMJHL) - 32.10%
5) TOR - Filip Forsberg RW (Leksands, SWE) - 89.06%
6) ANA - Matt Dumba D (Red Deer, WHL) - 67.35%
7) MIN - Morgan Reilly D (Moose Jaw, WHL) - 40.91%
8) CAR - Teuvo Teräväinen RW (Jokerit, FIN) - 62.26%
9) WPG - Griffin Reinhart D (Edmonton, WHL) - 42.05%
10) TB - Jacob Trouba D (USNDTP, USHL) - 81.25%
11) WSH - Radek Faksa C (Kitchener, OHL) - 58.11%
12) BUF - Zemgus Girgensons RW (Dubuque, USHL) - 37.76%
13) DAL - Sebastian Collberg LW (Frolunda, SWE) - 38.78%
14) CGY - Cody Ceci D (Ottawa, OHL) - 51.72%
15) OTT - Olli Määttä D (London, OHL) - 60.47%
16) WSH - Brendan Gaunce C (Belleville, OHL) - 44.26%
17) SJ - Hampus Lindholm D (Rögle, SWE) - 30.77%
18) CHI - Slater Koekkoek D (Peterborough, OHL) - 45.83%
19) TB - Tomas Hertl C (Slavia Praha, CZE) - 21.43%
20) PHI -
21) BUF -
22) PIT -
23) FLA -
24) BOS -
25) STL -
26) VAN -
27) PHX -
28) NYR -

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Pouliot, Finn, or Wilson

I'm actually a fan of Wilson because I think he has 20 goal upside and would be a monster on the forecheck/physically.

But this organization desperately needs a young dman with upside.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We should be pissed that the board fell this way. (Which I believe is a credible one seeing as how heavy the D go.)

And then take Matt Finn.

And then burn Chicago for taking Koekkoek.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Yeah, this really is the worst cast scenario.

I guess it is Finn by default, right? Pouliot looks like Marc-Andre Bergeron (5'11, 170) I remember a few posters being high on Bystrom, but I don't know much about him.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Yeah, this really is the worst cast scenario.

I guess it is Finn by default, right? Pouliot looks like Marc-Andre Bergeron (5'11, 170) I remember a few posters being high on Bystrom, but I don't know much about him.
I think if the board falls this way it is far more credible that we take a forward.

I'm not saying that Pouliot, Finn, and Bystrom are bad options, but they are not the defensemen I believe we want.

Coming away without one of Ceci, Maatta, Lindholm, or Koekkoek hurts. (Assuming Murray, Reilly, Dumba, Trouba, and Reinhart are all gone.)

EDIT: I do like Finn, but he's not my first choice. That's all I'm trying to get across. He's my 10th.

Last edited by CS: 06-11-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be cool with Finn. There are obviously guys I'd rather have, but Finn is in ok "consolation prize."

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Pouliot, Finn, or Wilson

I'm actually a fan of Wilson because I think he has 20 goal upside and would be a monster on the forecheck/physically.

But this organization desperately needs a young dman with upside.
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=98663

Wilson has never broken 20 goals in the OHL. What makes you think he has the capability to do so in the NHL?

Just to give you an idea of how bad this is, Daniel Carcillo scored 29 goals and 37 assists in his best CHL year, and Ian Laperriere scored 44 goals and 92 assists in his best year. Neither of these guys are offensive stalwarts, and even they managed to put up good numbers in juniors.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ya wilson is easily a wasted pick. Most scouts say that he has no offensive upside. You dont draft a 4th maybe 3rd liner who can not play Offense with the first pick.

I like Finn and is easily one of my top 5 picks for the 20th.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I remember a few posters being high on Bystrom, but I don't know much about him.
I'm one who's high on Bystrom. If it were any other year, he'd be a top 10, maybe top 5 pick. He has all the physical tools you want in a defenseman. He can really skate. He's in fantastic physical shape. He's got great vision. He's also a very physical player and loves to play a hard hitting game. He's also still growing. He started the season at 5'10 and grew three inches to 6'1 and he already weighs 200 pounds. I should mention he's also one of the fastest skaters in the draft too. He's a real special guy.

The only reason he goes this low is simply because he plays in Europe. Some teams would like him to go to North America to play on the surface there and see how he adapts to the shorter game. Honestly, it's a bogus reason. Look at how well Larsson played this year. Bystrom is right up there with Larsson. I'd LOVE to see the Flyers get Bystrom.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I'd trade down if this was the board at 20. But since that is not possible, I'd take Finn or Subban. Let Subban develop for a few years in the AHL, maybe wait until he's 23-24 and let him take over for Bryz.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
I'd trade down if this was the board at 20. But since that is not possible, I'd take Finn or Subban. Let Subban develop for a few years in the AHL, maybe wait until he's 23-24 and let him take over for Bryz.
I agree. Without a clear-cut Dman to put at the top of the development system, Subban would be a nice chip in Adirondack to let develop and either trade away for a D upgrade or look to as a potential heir to Bryzgalov.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Bryzard of Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree. Without a clear-cut Dman to put at the top of the development system, Subban would be a nice chip in Adirondack to let develop and either trade away for a D upgrade or look to as a potential heir to Bryzgalov.
I agree with this. Without a legit Dman left at this point, why not roll the dice and pick a goalie? We could probably trade down a few spots as well. Let him develop for a handful of years in the A and he can take over for Bryz - similar to the Schneider situation in Vancouver.

Bryzard of Oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Dont see how people dont think Matt Finn or evem Bystrom will be good players... if they reach their potential Bystrom has Karlsson abilites (didnt make this one up, read in on a scouting site), and Matt Finn's hockey IQ would be up there with the best of our team. Both of them have top 4 ability.

The Blackhawks had a good discussion about Subban. I do agree with his name overrating him and I dont even consider him the best goalie in the draft. I'd easily take Vasilevski over Subban.

Old
06-11-2012, 10:25 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzard of Oz View Post
I agree with this. Without a legit Dman left at this point, why not roll the dice and pick a goalie? We could probably trade down a few spots as well. Let him develop for a handful of years in the A and he can take over for Bryz - similar to the Schneider situation in Vancouver.
Plus, it would twist Montreal's knickers a half-turn tighter.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Broad Street Elite

Finn is the easy choice here. BPA imo.

Boy, who this be a really ****** way for this to play out though.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Blackhawks had a good discussion about Subban. I do agree with his name overrating him and I dont even consider him the best goalie in the draft. I'd easily take Vasilevski over Subban.
They are soo close imo. There's no reason to take Subban. I'd definitely trade out.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Finn.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
We should be pissed that the board fell this way. (Which I believe is a credible one seeing as how heavy the D go.)

And then take Matt Finn.

And then burn Chicago for taking Koekkoek.
I agree!!

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

BPA at this point might be Subban.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Finn since my pick of Koekkoek is gone.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:33 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Surprised Pouliot is not winning this by a landslide. He is so much better than Finn.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Surprised Pouliot is not winning this by a landslide. He is so much better than Finn.
Pouliot's defense is below average. While he beats Finn offensively, I think that is a lot closer than they are defensively. Plus, even Pouliot's offense is in question. Easy to put up points when you are defending on a line with Sven and Rattie.

Example:

Quote:
19. Matt Finn, Defense, Guelph-OHL

Finn took a ton of steps forward in his 17-year-old OHL season and really emerged onto the prospect scene. Finn was looked at last year as a fine defensive defenseman, but now has the looks of a great two-way player. He is much more conditioned than last year, which shows up in his skating. Finn is an above-average skater with fluid mobility and good acceleration, but he also doesn't lose a step late in the game even after logging big minutes. Finn is a "pretty" skater as he has natural yet powerful movements. He has above-average puck skills which combined with his skating make him a good puck-carrier coming out of his zone and penetrating the opposing blue line. Finn displays high-end hockey sense, making very quick decisions while his reads remain correct and creative and he always seems to be making things happen with the puck. Defensively, he shows good awareness, is a fine stick-checker, and uses his mobility well to close gaps. Finn isn't that threatening physically, as he's slightly short for a defenseman and has a frame that needs a ton of filling out, but he does work hard and shows the grit needed for a 6'0" defenseman.
Quote:
24. Derrick Pouliot, Defense, Portland-WHL

Pouliot is a pretty gifted offensive defenseman who has put up a fair amount of points the last two years on a powerhouse Portland team, but I've also gotten conflicting reports on him from scouts. Pouliot makes his living with the puck as he's an above-average puck-handler who looks smooth and coordinated when he's controlling the puck and is able to make opponents miss. Pouliot shows good creativity and translates that into his distribution game too. He's an accurate passer who can make a great outlet, has confidence and poise under pressure and when distributing into tight lanes and also doesn't hesitate from attempting the difficult feeds and has the ability to be effective doing so. Pouliot is a solid skater who moves around fine. I would like to see a little more speed from a player his size to push his offensive projection over the top but it certainly is a notable strength. Pouliot's defensive game is what I get very split reports on from scouts. Some say he's great defensively, some say he's very physical, and others say he's very soft and is so bad defensively he should be converted to forward. I stand around the middle as I think he can be decent physically, although his size/strength still make it a weakness. I think he can be fine in his own end as well, but he hurts himself with getting too cute in his own end or having a brain cramp as opposed to not having a feel for the position.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:10 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I think Finn's hockey IQ is what helps him win the day as far as this mock draft is concerned. Not interested in Pouliot honestly. He's a good player, but not the guy we want.

One player I don't want is Subban. (Or Wilson) But yeah, sa cryed is right. Vasilevski is a better goalie, and I don't think we need to take him at 20. Let another team blow their pick on Subban.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:57 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think Finn's hockey IQ is what helps him win the day as far as this mock draft is concerned. Not interested in Pouliot honestly. He's a good player, but not the guy we want.

One player I don't want is Subban. (Or Wilson) But yeah, sa cryed is right. Vasilevski is a better goalie, and I don't think we need to take him at 20. Let another team blow their pick on Subban.
What makes you think Subban will be a blown pick? It's hard to deny he's talented. I would rather pick a defenseman, but not if Finn or Pouliot are the best on the board.

I'm really hoping Maatta somehow falls to us.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:02 AM
Ryker

It was a tough choice between Vasilevski and Aberg, but I ultimately went with the latter.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote