HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver#Kings Bernier had asked for a trade in régular season, says he's happy to've stayed on board for Cup quest #SCFinals #NHL
Somehow i'm not sure I believe that.

On the other hand it lends legitimacy to the Malone for Bernier rumor.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:37 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Somehow i'm not sure I believe that.

On the other hand it lends legitimacy to the Malone for Bernier rumor.
Yeah, I'm sure that tweet was nonsense too.

I've been wondering about that Malone/L.A. trade rumor too. I was thinking it might have been Bernier/Johnson for Malone++.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofLA View Post
Goalies little by little are gaining value. After a couple of MVP for goalies in the last couple of playoffs is going to do that, like it or not
I think you can only say that with any weight when there's been a deal, any deal, reflecting the validity of your stance.

Until then it is merely conjecture.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
DeViLzzz*

If NHL teams had half a brain you don't give the Kings jack crap for Bernier. Yeah you may help your goaltending by getting him but if you give LA a high pick for him maybe they add another great player to their roster at a key position that needs to be filled somewhat. I say let Bernier rot til he is a FA. Seriously there are other options out there too for goal in the FA market. If you can rip off LA somehow then fine but giving up a good pick I say no. Don't let the rich get richer.

DeViLzzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeViLzzz View Post
If NHL teams had half a brain you don't give the Kings jack crap for Bernier. Yeah you may help your goaltending by getting him but if you give LA a high pick for him maybe they add another great player to their roster at a key position that needs to be filled somewhat. I say let Bernier rot til he is a FA. Seriously there are other options out there too for goal in the FA market. If you can rip off LA somehow then fine but giving up a good pick I say no. Don't let the rich get richer.
Yes, and then everyone good who makes it to free agency are snapped up by the teams with the biggest budgets.

There is no such thing as cabals where teams gang up on a GM to make sure they don't get too good. Any GM is responsible for making his team the best it can be, and as a GM, if you have no legit nr.1 goalie or a prospect likely to become that guy, you should kick the tires on Bernier.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:09 AM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I think you can only say that with any weight when there's been a deal, any deal, reflecting the validity of your stance.

Until then it is merely conjecture.
Easy Varlamov got a 1st and 2nd from a lottery team. At the time of the trade Varlamov had 11 more games played than Bernier has now. And another little stat 5 of 11 the last Conn Smythe have been goaltenders, so that adds to value on them.

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:02 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Easy Varlamov got a 1st and 2nd from a lottery team. At the time of the trade Varlamov had 11 more games played than Bernier has now. And another little stat 5 of 11 the last Conn Smythe have been goaltenders, so that adds to value on them.
How on earth does that add value to them in general? Those individual players sure, but thats like me going, did you know 11 of the last 11 Norris winners were dmen making dmen more valuable in general

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:46 AM
kingsofLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
How on earth does that add value to them in general? Those individual players sure, but thats like me going, did you know 11 of the last 11 Norris winners were dmen making dmen more valuable in general
Hhhmmm
One trophy, any player from any position can take it
The other, only if you play that certain position can you win

kingsofLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:37 AM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Bernier is now a cup winning goaltender.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:59 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Hhhmmm
One trophy, any player from any position can take it
The other, only if you play that certain position can you win
Doesn't make a difference, the fact that a goalie has won a certain amount of Conn Smythes over the past 11 years.

Just the like the fact that of the past 12 Hart Trophy winners, 10 have been forwards, 1 dman and 1 goalie. Doesn't immediately make forwards more valuable. Those individual forwards sure it increases their value. But to state it increases the value of forwards as a whole is just ridiculous.

Are you really holding onto the claim that because 5 of the last 11 Conn Smythe winners were goalies makes Bernier more valuable?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:04 AM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopi11 View Post
Bernier is now a cup winning goaltender.
He can swap backup war stories with Frank Pietrangelo, John Grahame and Bobby Taylor.

sayheykid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Two years ago, nobody would've been saying that about Mason. Once again, he's proven that he can play well in the NHL for an extended period of time. Bernier has not.

Let's face it guys. He's 25 years old already. He's far from a cant miss type guy. A second round pick is about what the Kings should get. To think you can get a Connolly is crazy.
Bernier is 23.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Bernier is 23.
He's an 88. Sorry, I added wrong. He's the same age as Mason was my point.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Here is one of many blurbs about the value of Bernier over the past couple days. This is from ESPN Insider:

One potential Bernier trade

9:02AM ET

Jonathan Bernier | Kings

Recommend0
Comments3
Email

Jonathan Bernier may be the best goalie available this offseason, but the Los Angeles Kings will be asking for a decent amount for the young goalie. The Edmonton Journal's Jim Matheson sees the Tampa Bay Lightning as a good landing spot -- and the Bolts can offer one of their first-rounders (No. 10 or 19) and backup goalie Mathieu Garon. However, with the goalie market shrinking and Cory Schneider off the market, a team like the Lightning -- who likely want a young, elite goalie -- don't have many options. So the Kings may be able to squeeze a bit more out of this deal.

Lebrun said the Kings will be overwhelmed with interest from TB and hinted they could name their price.
Why on earth would the Lightning give up anything for Bernier prior to seeing what happens with Josh Harding? And after the Lightning, it's very thin with teams looking for goaltenders.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Why on earth would the Lightning give up anything for Bernier prior to seeing what happens with Josh Harding? And after the Lightning, it's very thin with teams looking for goaltenders.
Because in all of the reports I've read, Yzerman is looking for a young up and coming goaltender. Harding is still relatively young, but not as young as Bernier.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Because in all of the reports I've read, Yzerman is looking for a young up and coming goaltender. Harding is still relatively young, but not as young as Bernier.
That's what we read from guys who are trying to find a home for Bernier. There's another factor that people need to take into account. Yzerman comes from the Detroit/Chicago mentality of placing less worth on goaltenders. Although Bernier's contract wouldnt hamper that as we speak, giving up huge assets for him would.

I might be wrong but I think he'll make a play for Harding first.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Bernier may be on the top of the list, doesn't me he is the only one on the list

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
rajuabju

I really hope we dont trade Bernier, unless its overpayment. I dont see any reason to trade him. He still has a year left on the deal, and then he's an RFA, not a UFA. So we can potentially hold on to him for another 1-3 years, even if its a case of going to arbitration or something.

Unless we get a very strong offer, I dont see the incentive for us to move him right now. We dont have any goalie in our system thats quite ready, and I'm not so in favor of bringing in a crappy backup.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
I really hope we dont trade Bernier, unless its overpayment. I dont see any reason to trade him. He still has a year left on the deal, and then he's an RFA, not a UFA. So we can potentially hold on to him for another 1-3 years, even if its a case of going to arbitration or something.

Unless we get a very strong offer, I dont see the incentive for us to move him right now. We dont have any goalie in our system thats quite ready, and I'm not so in favor of bringing in a crappy backup.
The Kings dont have much of a choice. With Quick's deal up after next season and Lewis/Nolan/Voynov, they wont be able to afford a backup goaltender making much at all.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:25 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
The Kings dont have much of a choice. With Quick's deal up after next season and Lewis/Nolan/Voynov, they wont be able to afford a backup goaltender making much at all.
Do you really think those guys are going to see huge raises?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Do you really think those guys are going to see huge raises?
They're gonna get a nice bump from their respective deals. Lewis is gonna go up to about 1.3, Nolan might hit 2 and Voynov is gonna be up in the air depending on how he plays next year. So that's a couple million for the three and Quick is gonna get 6.5-7.5...

When you have guys with huge deals, you have to cut somewhere. Backup goaltender is the first place teams look.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
LA is better suited to hold him for another year or two to bring up his value...
How will sitting on the bench another year or two bring up his value?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
bobbyt91
you must quote me :P

With Quick emerging as the clear #1 in LA they can afford to trade Bernier

I would Love to see Bernier in a Leaf jersey and he should be cheaper than Lou. Gunnarsson plus the 35th or Kadri+35th should get the wheels greased.

bobbyt91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
How will sitting on the bench another year or two bring up his value?
Schneider is worth more now than at this point last year. Same would happen to Bernier as he plays more games.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Schneider is worth more now than at this point last year. Same would happen to Bernier as he plays more games.
Well, sure, but how many games are they going to take away from Quick in order to do that?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote