HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Final Game #6 - NJD at LAK, postmortem edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 12:07 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
And the PK went to hell in the playoffs too. 3/4 rounds they were a negative influence for the team. That really can't happen. If the PP sucks it's one thing, but PK failure leads to goals against.

Just 1 more goal over Game 1 or 2 and we might be celebrating tonight. Funny how the bounces work.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
This is what I said in the GTD.

3-0 is a gigantic hole in the finals and there's a reason it has only happened once in history. You NEED bounces and you need them consistently throughout the next 4 games. Not only that, you need breaks to go your way officiating-wise. Like it or not, **** gets called you don't like and goals will result. All it takes is one bounce or questionable play and you're at the end of the barrel.
Not to mention the one time it happened, the playoffs were two rounds long instead of four. And the other times it happened during the playoffs were also in the second round. By the time you get to the fourth round, you're running on empty. Even in the third round, there's only one 3-1 comeback in history, never mind 3-0.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
I don't understand why they started giving out misconducts in the SECOND PERIOD.

Carter shoves a guy during a scrum and Clarkson says some naughty words, and you're going to give them 10 minute misconducts in an elimination game? This isn't a regular season game against the Rangers, it's the ****ing Stanley Cup Finals. Did they honestly think we were going to goon it up in our last game of the season?

That pretty much killed our chances of coming back. We're a 4 line team and between the Bernier ejection and the two misconducts we only had 9 forwards available at one point. And you know Gionta wasn't 100% after taking that slapper to the head.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:09 AM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Not getting any sleep tonight. It's going to be a long day.
Going to take a shower and sedatives to get to sleep now. Probably won't sleep much tonight anyway...gonna be a ***** tomorrow at open hockey; I know there'll be a ****load of Rangers fans bursting with schadenfruede.
**** 'em...doesn't change the fact that we still beat 'em.

HENRIQUE!!! IT'S OVER!!!

Old
06-12-2012, 12:10 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
I don't understand why they started giving out misconducts in the SECOND PERIOD.

Carter shoves a guy during a scrum and Clarkson says some naughty words, and you're going to give them 10 minute misconducts in an elimination game? This isn't a regular season game against the Rangers, it's the ****ing Stanley Cup Finals. Did they honestly think we were going to goon it up in our last game of the season?

That pretty much killed our chances of coming back. We're a 4 line team and between the Bernier ejection and the two misconducts we only had 9 forwards available at one point. And you know Gionta wasn't 100% after taking that slapper to the head.
Eh they were trying to goon it up at that point. Or at least they lost their heads, but they're human. The game and season went to **** in the first period, and everyone lost their focus for a while. Eventually they got it back, but it wasn't till late in the second period.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:11 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Eh they were trying to goon it up at that point. Or at least they lost our heads, but they're human. The game and season went to **** in the first period, and everyone lost their focus for a while. Eventually they got it back, but it wasn't till late in the second period.
Gooning it up is not the same thing as trying to physically spark your team.

Our opening face-off brawl vs. the NYR was gooning it up. Carter shoving some guy in a scrum is not. They didn't even call any minor penalties on those plays, they just told them to get the **** off the ice.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
Going to take a shower and sedatives to get to sleep now. Probably won't sleep much tonight anyway...gonna be a ***** tomorrow at open hockey; I know there'll be a ****load of Rangers fans bursting with schadenfruede.
**** 'em...doesn't change the fact that we still beat 'em.

HENRIQUE!!! IT'S OVER!!!
We still have that over them. The ghosts of 1994 are dead, no matter what some of them say because we didn't win the Cup.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Nova Scotia Islander

Carter got 2 and a 10 and then sykora gets a roughing penalty for pusing brown after he charges him. Brown was already getting a tripping call and trys to kill sykora that imo would be a misconduct.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Tundra

I thought Sykora was our best forward tonight. He played very well.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I still can't believe the linesman interfering with Volch led to a goal. The missed Stoll call is one thing, this is quite another.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'm not blaming the refs totally, but this Devils team did not deserve to be eliminated the way they were tonight.

A very physical Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, and the penalty minutes are 47-6. That just doesn't make any sense.
I'm not going to acknowledge this Cup. I didn't watch the presentation and I never will for as long as I walk this Earth.

Congrats to true Kings fans out there. You guys just root for your team so I cant be pissed at you for that. But with that said, I really don't have much respect for your team. All the diving antics really take away from what is a highly skilled team that can play the game very well. Brown taking runs at Sykora? Really? Late in an out of reach game? The man is a *****, I'm sorry. It really spoils it for me to lose to a team like that. We can say Scuderi took one for his team, but he knew exactly what the **** he was doing on that play, and if you don't think he did, you're not giving him enough credit. It honestly makes my stomach turn how he turned into that hit.

I have no probem tipping my cap to the winner, but when you look at the Clarkson penalty in game 4, the no whistle on the back breaking goal in game 3 and then tonight......I can't sit here and feel like we got the benefit of the doubt during the real critical moments. Kovy getting absolutely ***** on the 3rd kings goal will be burned into my brain for a loooooooooooong time.

I'm pretty much in shock right now like most of us. But I can guarantee you that once we're done being reflective, a good majority of us will likely be pissed again. I try to call it like I see it. We were never given a fair shot in this game. It was an absolute ****ing circus out there and it's heart breaking.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:21 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Like someone said in the other game thread, Shane Doan and the Coyotes must be in an 'I told you so' mood after the way their series with the Kings ended, and everyone killed them for complaining about the one-sided refs and going after the Kings in the handshake line

Old
06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I still can't believe the linesman interfering with Volch led to a goal. The missed Stoll call is one thing, this is quite another.
Racicot or whatever his name is got some karma for being on that crew. It almost looked fixed. Just remember the names of all these guys tonight next time any of them officiates a game at The Rock. The referees and linesmen.

The NHL should answer for this. To think that I was actually worried when I realized this was the game 4 crew. The game 3, and game 5, and game 1 crew I believe too were the same, and the guys from games 2, 4. and 6 were the same. In game 3 that call that BS call against us, and then in game 4 this crew gave Clarkson the phantom penalty was it boarding? I forget what it was, but it's funny it came after we took a 1-0 lead. Only a minute or two of playing time later.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I've never seen anything like that before in my life.

An on-ice official SET A PICK on a defending player which led to a goal.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

I mean there was still like ten seconds or so between that and the goal so everyone did have a chance to get back into position, but yeah that was horrendous positioning. Even AHL refs know you gotta stay by the wall when the play's happening off the wall.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

(Wall of text, and One Piece references in bound!!!!)

So ya we declared war on the world and fought our way out of Impel Down and started a damn war, but Ace ended up dead anyway and our whole crew got their ***** beat. We still get to be trained by Gold Rodger's First Mate and come back next year and just kick everyone's ass.

*takes One Piece straw hat off*

Figured it went with my new avatar. I'm proud as hell of this team, will post that when I cool off in the "I'm proud of this team" thread. I know a lot of the haters, the negative people who only post when we lose come out and spew their crap. We didn't have our best tonight, but we also were never allowed to even begin to set a tone because of the damn three ring circus that went on. I get being upset that we couldn't kill off the 48 mins of man advantage they had (I guess...) or not getting much going in like the 5 mins of 5-5 there was...actually I take that back I don't get that. I just can't pin this one on the team after the utter nonsense I witnessed.

Kings win is still tainted to me, call me bitter, whatever. They deserved and won their way to the finals legit, they went up 3-0 legit. And CG is totally right, this is why you don't go down 3-0, because it allows crap like tonight to happen. Tonight was just not legit, jobbed plain and simple. We can discuss Bernier's hit until the cows come home. I've seen that kind of hit not called, seen it called. With the blood ya SOMETHING should of been called, but the major seemed a bit much. That isn't even really the point of what happened tonight. If the refs want to call that then FINE, but call a even game. There is a HUGE laundry list of calls that should of been called, before that hit, and during that damn PP (Volch getting punched, Gionta getting kneeded, Kovy getting *****). And it goes beyond that, ref pretty much setting a pick on Volch that set up the 4th goal, ref gets out of his way or just blows the play dead we are only down 3-0, which is doable, especially 3-1 going into the 3rd. The Clarkson phantom misconduct, it just goes on. THAT is the rub, that is the bitter damn taste. The quest for the greatest prize in sports SHOULD NOT end like THAT.

I don't think it was fixed or any of that nonsense, just think the refs plain sucked and the league needs to do something. Not the Kings fault either, they did exactly what they were supposed to for the most part. Not a big fan of some of their players, but congrads to the real Kings fan who actually suffered through not winning the cup. Could care less for the band-wagoners since they will forget the Kings exist in a week.

Glad the team took the high road, glad they stuck up for Bernier. I guess in the end it just sucks it ends like THIS. I really think if it was called even tonight we would of least had a shot, we would of had another 2-1 OT game. Could of gone either way, and again YES this is why you don't go down 3-0 which was TOTALLY on us we dug that hole ourselves, refs didn't do that. Just we also dug ourselves out, and if tonight was legit we might of done something super special.

Still proud as hell.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
I mean there was still like ten seconds or so between that and the goal so everyone did have a chance to get back into position, but yeah that was horrendous positioning. Even AHL refs know you gotta stay by the wall when the play's happening off the wall.
Nah, the linesman picking Volch led to a mismatch because it instantly gave Brown more space. The rest of the defence had to scramble because Volch was beat, and that pulled everyone out of position. Pretty clear that Racicot caused the goal.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:32 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
If the official isn't there, then Volch is able to rub him out along the boards. Pretty routine defensive play when in transition. Because of the contact, Volch actually had to shove the official away from him, and THEN recover, but by that time the Kings player had already made his move and the other Kings were already setting up in the zone. And everyone was scrambling trying to cover the wrong guy.

No contact and Volch makes a clean defensive play, no problem.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:37 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Can't wait to see what Holik has to say tomorrow. He calls it like he sees it, and has openly criticized the officiating more than once in these playoffs, and this series including the goal in game 3, and the Clarkson penalty in game 4.

Most people will see him as a Devils homer though cause he played here for so many years.

And yes the PK was VERY bad. It's hard to kill off 5 minutes, but THREE goals? LA's PP percentage doubled in this series. They matched their 6 PP goals this whole playoffs with 6 more in this series including the one night with two in the same game. I'm hoping the PK is at least better next year than in the playoffs. It didn't look good in the Rangers series the first 3 games either. The Rangers PP was BAD this playoffs too. Florida had a good PP in the regular season. Can't gauge the playoffs cause they only made it one round.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Definitely the moment that killed this game for me.
The linesman is either a dumbass or an *******.

There really is no middle ground. Listening to Pierre and Edzo say there was nothing he could do and no other choice turned feelings of deflation into rage.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I was arguing with some clown on twitter I was following after he said "Carter was a d-bag for his penalty and it was selfish."

Not really. I applaud Carter. Your team is down 4-0 showing little life. He crashed the net and caused some chaos. I like the emotion and heart. Would love him back on the Devs next season.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:46 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
I was arguing with some clown on twitter I was following after he said "Carter was a d-bag for his penalty and it was selfish."

Not really. I applaud Carter. Your team is down 4-0 showing little life. He crashed the net and caused some chaos. I like the emotion and heart. Would love him back on the Devs next season.
Ryan Carter is easily my favorite Devils 4th liner of all-time. I take him over Grant Marshall every time.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:48 AM
battlingBard56

Quote:

I don't believe for a second that was accidental. Refs are just as good as skaters as the players, or else you can't keep up with the speed of the game. You see a defenseman coming at you trying to defend, you get the **** out of the way.

[edit] I know what I said was "tin-hat-y, but hey, I'm still pissed about that.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:

I think that goes with Bernier's hit too. If you just read the posts on here from some, you would of thought he pulled a Weber from the first round and just slammed his head into the boards four or five times straight. People made it sound like he went off the reservation, when it was a hit that warranted a penalty, but also has gone uncalled in these playoffs (well minus blood, that sure didn't help). Hell I've seen tons of vicious stuff go uncalled this year. Cut the guy a little slack, his team did.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
I don't believe for a second that was accidental. Refs are just as good as skaters as the players, or else you can't keep up with the speed of the game. You see a defenseman coming at you trying to defend, you get the **** out of the way.

[edit] I know what I said was "tin-hat-y, but hey, I'm still pissed about that.
Racicot got what he deserved then. I don't like seeing injuries, but that's what you get. It's like putting your hand inside on oven. I had no sympathy for him at all. Though he does have some nerve to sacrifice himself like that.

Closed Thread