HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Crosby Signing a 10-Year Deal Worth $90 Million?

Old
06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
I get it, PIT fans would move Martin before Staal. But do they think teams are going to line up to let them cap dump so they can re-sign their young star center? Maybe a team that needs to get to the cap floor will be willing to take him, I guess.
The Paul Martin contract is going to look a heck of a lot more attractive with the way free agency is starting to shape up...

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
why is 9 mill per a steal if 8.7 is what he got when he didn't have as many concusion problems?
inflation buddy. Get with the program. Chris Kelly isn't getting paid 3 million because thats what he is worth, the mean is moving upwards. A 300k raise is minuscule and well below what someone of his stature could command.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:04 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I still cannot understand why people think this is risky. I would bet, if cap space was available, 30 teams would sign Sid to a 10 year contract. Would the concern be there for an injury? Probably. It is with a lot of players. But if you say this is a risky move, then the Pens shouldn't sign Staal as he had an injury that left him out for 6 months before. They also can't re-sign Geno because he tore his ACL and people never recover from that, either. And lord knows Sid is the only one that has ever had a concussion in this league.

Come on now, people. There is zero risk. This is Sidney Crosby. Do you really want to let this guy go to a different team?
Of course you don't let Sid leave - ever. But there is some risk that some teams (ownership regimes) might not be able to survive. An earlier post quoted PIT brass acknowledging that the concussion issue is probably not going to be insurable - rightfully so from an insurer's POV. I do not know PIT's financial position and whether it can shell out $90mm to Crosby if he gets a concussion in the first game next year and can never play again. But, for a team like CBJ, who would have little other draw than Crosby to generate revenues, it would be an "all in" proposition to sign Crosby. That said, CBJ would still do it in a heartbeat. But if it went south, they would be looking to sell that team eventually to the next bored billionaire that wants to own a hockey team. So, yes, there is risk. But, 30 teams out of 30 probably take it without blinking. Shoot, you don't get the kind of $$ to be an NHL owner if you don't take some risks, amiright?

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Of course you don't let Sid leave - ever. But there is some risk that some teams (ownership regimes) might not be able to survive. An earlier post quoted PIT brass acknowledging that the concussion issue is probably not going to be insurable - rightfully so from an insurer's POV. I do not know PIT's financial position and whether it can shell out $90mm to Crosby if he gets a concussion in the first game next year and can never play again. But, for a team like CBJ, who would have little other draw than Crosby to generate revenues, it would be an "all in" proposition to sign Crosby. That said, CBJ would still do it in a heartbeat. But if it went south, they would be looking to sell that team eventually to the next bored billionaire that wants to own a hockey team. So, yes, there is risk. But, 30 teams out of 30 probably take it without blinking. Shoot, you don't get the kind of $$ to be an NHL owner if you don't take some risks, amiright?
they can afford it, and if something goes disastrously wrong, they can offer him the Lemieux package and pay him some of his contract in ownership stake if that is something he would be interested in.

It no longer becomes "risky" if you only have one option. Its just a necessary course of action with no alternative route.

Old
06-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Miller Time NYR

The more the better, as a ranger fan id honestly love to see Crosby and malkin handcuff the pens cap wise for the next 10 years

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
The more the better, as a ranger fan id honestly love to see Crosby and malkin handcuff the pens cap wise for the next 10 years
So would pens fans.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
The two besty players in the world for 24% of your cap budget? If that is handcuffing, tie me up any day of the week. And the percentage of cap hit will only get better year after year. There is not a GM in the league that would not be crazy happy with that deal.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:25 AM
TheVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Another Classic example of someone talking out their ass and has no clue about the past or current state of the franchise... :shake head

Burkle probably has 90 million in the cushions of his damn couch as we speak!
And here's a classic example of someone with their head shoved up their arse! 90M is 90M, no matter how rich you are!

It's a no brainer to sign a talent like Crosby, but if you or anybody else thinks for one second that ownership isn't a little concerned with his health...well continue shoving your head up further. That's all.

And I just love all the armchair owners in here saying, aww the guy can afford it, it's nothing to him. LOL...you all have your heads buried somewhere. Rich people get richer for a reason, they're cheap. 90M is 90M, and if there's no Crosby to draw the fans, oh well...but continue being as naive as you'd like. such sillyness.

TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
And here's a classic example of someone with their head shoved up their arse! 90M is 90M, no matter how rich you are!

It's a no brainer to sign a talent like Crosby, but if you or anybody else thinks for one second that ownership isn't a little concerned with his health...well continue shoving your head up further. That's all.

And I just love all the armchair owners in here saying, aww the guy can afford it, it's nothing to him. LOL...you all have your heads buried somewhere. Rich people get richer for a reason, they're cheap. 90M is 90M, and if there's no Crosby to draw the fans, oh well...but continue being as naive as you'd like. such sillyness.
I would say that majority of the billionaires in the world have gotten rich by taking risks. The richest people generally come from major businesses which involve investing. Investing is a risk every step of the way.

On the business side though, is Crosby going to generate 90 million for the penguins over the course of the next 10 years? My bet would be yes, and I think that it could be reasonably assured he would create more revenue than that. This is the underlying principle for an owner. Sure winning is awesome for the prestige. But winning means $ and money is what they want. He is the face of the NHL and the Penguins. He will generate money for both whether he is recovering from an injury or playing.

90 million over 10 years is a steal for Crosby. Insurance would probably be through the roof for him (if it is even available). But it is a risk you take as an owner, and it is about the safest investment you can make in the NHL.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:24 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post

And you don't think there are 29 other owners would wouldn't risk Cap MAX let alone a sweet-heart deal for a guy like crosby even with his "past" you are an even bigger Dolt than the last classic HF board idiot...

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
ObsessedCreative*
I hate the Penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy99 View Post
I would say that majority of the billionaires in the world have gotten rich by taking risks. The richest people generally come from major businesses which involve investing. Investing is a risk every step of the way.

On the business side though, is Crosby going to generate 90 million for the penguins over the course of the next 10 years? My bet would be yes, and I think that it could be reasonably assured he would create more revenue than that. This is the underlying principle for an owner. Sure winning is awesome for the prestige. But winning means $ and money is what they want. He is the face of the NHL and the Penguins. He will generate money for both whether he is recovering from an injury or playing.

90 million over 10 years is a steal for Crosby. Insurance would probably be through the roof for him (if it is even available). But it is a risk you take as an owner, and it is about the safest investment you can make in the NHL.
Why use logic and reason here on HF boards... unless you are a pens fan, because it seems every penguin hater needs to **** talk any sort of contract or deal involving Sid, unless he is signing with their team... this place is and will always be a damn joke!

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
crackerjack

Doesn't Crosby have pancake brains?

crackerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:17 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Always positive

Sidney Crosby is probably worth alot more than 9 mil per year, or 90 million dollars to the Penguins, from a business POV you take it and run if you're Pittsburgh, or any other team

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:32 AM
James Franco

I wouldn't spend 9 million a year on any player. As good as Crosby is, I still wouldn't.

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:36 AM
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact

vCash: 1271
No offense to Pittsburgh fans, but I think Crosby is pretty much done.

A contract like this would be totally out of the question imo.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
IMO that's a terrible move by the Pens. His head should be a giant concern and a 10 year deal could be crippling to that organization.
Yes, but they have no other chance. They can't let him go for free, that's for sure. Every GM would do the same, go with risk and sign Crosby for 10 years at this price. 9 million is huge bargain, after all.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Minimalist*

This is just one of those gambles you have to take. It's the best player in the world we're talking about here.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:17 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
The two besty players in the world for 24% of your cap budget? If that is handcuffing, tie me up any day of the week. And the percentage of cap hit will only get better year after year. There is not a GM in the league that would not be crazy happy with that deal.
In defense of Rangerdanger I think his point was it would be better seeing them sign both for 20M then say 15M

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:08 AM
TheVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
And you don't think there are 29 other owners would wouldn't risk Cap MAX let alone a sweet-heart deal for a guy like crosby even with his "past" you are an even bigger Dolt than the last classic HF board idiot...
Quite the maturity level you have going on there bud.

Please point out, no on other hand don't bother responding. But I said nowhere that nobody wouldn't take the risk on this deal. I simply said there's much risk involved and when Mr Crosby gets hit, and being the little weasel he is, he will get hit. and he's no longer able to play, and the Pens are on the hook for 90M...it will indeed hurt.

I take it you were the last classic HF board idiot, you certainly come off like it my friend.

And by the way, just because somebody criticizes this deal, doesn't make them Pens haters. I'm not a huge fan, but Evgeny Malkin is far and away the best player in the league, and they have built a solid team there. Shame they'll most likely have to move Staal now.

Last edited by TheVision: 06-12-2012 at 05:13 AM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:26 AM
mpp9

Good thread to revisit when Sid is tearing the league up again next year.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:07 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Quote:
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly

Sidney Crosby is in LA, working out on and off ice, and is fit, healthy and feeling great. #Penguins
Yep, he's done !

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:15 AM
BobbyFischer*

Why 10yrs? Because, Crosby wants an insurance policy in the extremely LIKELY event he can't play hockey beyond 3-4yrs from now... (or if he does, probably won't be the same player, I.E worth 9mill/yr)

Smart move by Crosby.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
No offense to Pittsburgh fans.....
Non taken. A healthy laugh was had though.....

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Having a job is all about money?
Im not saying Sidney isnt taking less money than he could take, but would you turn down several millions of dollars like a bag of candy?. He has got like 15 years max left playing hockey, 40 outside hockey. Im sure he and people close to him find good use for the money for a long time.That said i dont believe he demans max salary which would be ridiculous.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:

I for one, unfortunately, agree.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote