HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I think you're dreaming if the PA will allow salaries to role back. They will likely have to concede the % going down to 50-53. But if the NHL insists on players taking an individual role back (like the last time), then we're not going to have hockey in Oct.

The PA didn't bring Fehr in for nothing. I'm fairly certain they'll grudgingly drop the %. But this is the guy that is very tough to deal with... and there's no way they'll accept the players taking an individual hit.
We're not going to have hockey in October imo. If the league takes a rollback to 50-51% like the other pro sports leagues then the individuals have to either lose escrow money or just take a rollback themselves?

Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Mama Malkin

I'd love for this to happen...and I'd put it at about a 43.72% chance of happening. In all honesty, I think Pittsburgh will be one of the final 3 teams in the mix (maybe with Detroit and Minnesota) and his final choice will really depend on how much money he is willing to settle for. Minnesota will pay him the most and Pittsburgh the least of the three. But will the lure of playing on Crosby's line for the next 5-10 years and being a top cup contender every year outweigh the extra money he can get elsewhere? Time will tell, but I think the Pens do have a legitimate shot at getting him.

Just think, with him on Crosby's line, Parise could probably get around 100 points a year and who knows what the ceiling would be for Crosby is he stays healthy? It's crazy to think about. He's never really had an All-Star caliber linemate for an extended period of time. And maybe Crosby has had some discussions with Shero about this...maybe this is something he is really pulling for and maybe he is willing to take less money in order for Parise to come here? Who knows?

Unfortunately, I think the writing is on the wall that Staal will be traded. I hate seeing all the rumors because I'd rather see him stay, but if the Pens could get Parise and the assets from a Staal trade it would be very interesting to see how the team does next year. And Martin would definitely have to be traded in order for any Parise signing to be possible.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
How are they cash strapped?

NJ on Cap Geek
Not cap wise. CASH wise. The team was getting handouts from the NHL. And Kovy's actual salary will be 11m. That said they can still likely afford him if he wants to sign there.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
We're not going to have hockey in October imo. If the league takes a rollback to 50-51% like the other pro sports leagues then the individuals have to either lose escrow money or just take a rollback themselves?
Depends on what the cap ends up being. It's not impossible that the % goes down to say 51%, and the cap stays near 65m. Even if the cap went down to 60m, that still doesn't mean players have to take roll backs. GMs ship out a couple of contracts. Perhaps even paying a club to take them... or buries them in the minors. That saves the big clubs, and most of the others (or than say Columbus) don't have that issue as they're all closer to the cap floor than ceiling.

Thus no player gets a role back, and the teams are still under the cap. They might lose a tad in escrow (as it's all based on total salaries paid vs revenue), but I doubt it would be much. I think the only way a role back (or some sort of buyout) would be possible is if the NHL got the cap down to less than 60m. That would make things tight for a lot of teams (especially after the NHL guessed it would go up to 70m and told GMs that July 1st is like every other July 1st).

Last edited by Riptide: 06-12-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 01:42 AM
superhenderson13

ill comment on the 2 things that were being discussed besides Staal... the CBA and Parise.

I would be shocked to see the NHL season on time. Neither side will have much to lose until they see that they are losing $$. Bettman and the NHLPA knows how much was lost in 2005. The NHL will play next season. They also got the chance to see the rough schedule that NBA teams had to endure and how tough it would be around playoffs. If they spread the season from November or December to March and then the playoffs. Something will get done. Hopefully it gets done quickly and it solves the problems that the league is facing.

I love the idea of parise in a penguins sweater. I dont see it happening, but crazier things have happened before. If Staal and Martin are traded, we would have the money to sign him. anything 6 million or less would work greatly. Like i said, I dont see it happening, but no one saw that Vokoun trade or even that Hossa trade. Things like that can come out of nowhere.

Shero should be looking to get TJ Oshie from STL for Staal. Oshie is the definition of what this team needs. tough player, still young, and 2 way forward.

this will be an interesting draft and offseason for the Penguins and the NHL. should be fun.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:48 AM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Not cap wise. CASH wise. The team was getting handouts from the NHL. And Kovy's actual salary will be 11m. That said they can still likely afford him if he wants to sign there.
Gotcha, but I thought they were actually figuring that stuff out and getting back on the road. Obviously we won't know til it really happens, but the playoffs brought in some money and new investors would help too. Maybe there is more to it, but it didn't seem as dire as some were making it out to be.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:19 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhenderson13 View Post
Shero should be looking to get TJ Oshie from STL for Staal. Oshie is the definition of what this team needs. tough player, still young, and 2 way forward.
To be honest, Oshie is also the definition of how St.Louis plays, and I doubt they'd feel Staal is much of an upgrade.

Either way, I really hope Shero pitches Martin for Stewart. If we have to add a sweetener, we add a sweetener.

Stewart hasn't excelled in Hitchcock's shut down system, and St.Louis has lots of quality in the position, and more so with Tarasenko coming over.
They also need an experienced left handed D-man for the top4 (according to all their fans here on HF), and Martin certainly has given an indication that he can perform well in a strong defensive system. Just have to believe that their GM place more emphasis on Martin's career than his last season. If he does, value would be more than fair also.

Stewart - fast, big shot, big body, RW, RH shot. Great option for Sid's line and the PP. Should get reasonable money as an RFA after his less than stellar season.

I'd love to have:

Kunitz Crosby Stewart
Tangradi Malkin Neal
Dupuis Staal Kennedy
Cooke Vitale Jeffrey

Naughty.
And yes I know Tangradi would have to earn it/prove himself, but I'd be happy to start the season giving him the chance to do so with less pressure. Love that amount of size added to our top6

Old
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Ron Cook's take on Sidney Crosby in the Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-wants-639947/

One side-note from the article is that he would rather trade Malkin than Staal (???).

Old
06-12-2012, 08:06 AM
JTG

Zach Parise is New Jersey's Sidney Crosby. They are going to have the same mindset in his negotiations that we have with Sid. He's the face of that franchise, and I think they are going to give him what he wants and then continue to build around him.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:19 AM
GarrettC

This isn't the first time he advocated trading Malkin over Staal, which ultimately proves it isn't the first time he dropped acid.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
mpp9

I think Shero thinks as highly of Staal as he does Malkin. But as many have said, u can't replace Malkin.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post

One side-note from the article is that he would rather trade Malkin than Staal (???).
More than likely because Ron@ Cook is an idiot. Atleast Bob Pompeani is watchable.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I think Shero thinks as highly of Staal as he does Malkin. But as many have said, u can't replace Malkin.
He might like Staal more because he's more of a Shero type of player, but there's no way he thinks as highly of him. You just can't. Staal's not even on the level below Malkin.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:44 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

It's en vogue to say you'd rather keep Staal than Malkin. It's funny because some of the same people that claim to believe that are the same people that are quick to point out that Pittsburgh takes its stars for granted.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Staal would be very hard to replace. Malkin would be impossible to replace. Cook is an idiot.

I think Parise will test the market & then end up back in NJ or with the Wings.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
More than likely because Ron@ Cook is an idiot. Atleast Bob Pompeani is watchable.
It's a definite. The guy is a moron. Anyone suggesting you trade Malkin before Staal doesn't have a clue. Can't we get one decent Penguins reporter in this town?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post

Sometimes, you only need one comment from a person to know they're an idiot.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
mr sidney crosby

zach parise and assets from staal trade > jordan staal and paul martin

Old
06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
To be honest, Oshie is also the definition of how St.Louis plays, and I doubt they'd feel Staal is much of an upgrade.

Either way, I really hope Shero pitches Martin for Stewart. If we have to add a sweetener, we add a sweetener.

Stewart hasn't excelled in Hitchcock's shut down system, and St.Louis has lots of quality in the position, and more so with Tarasenko coming over.
They also need an experienced left handed D-man for the top4 (according to all their fans here on HF), and Martin certainly has given an indication that he can perform well in a strong defensive system. Just have to believe that their GM place more emphasis on Martin's career than his last season. If he does, value would be more than fair also.

Stewart - fast, big shot, big body, RW, RH shot. Great option for Sid's line and the PP. Should get reasonable money as an RFA after his less than stellar season.

I'd love to have:

Kunitz Crosby Stewart
Tangradi Malkin Neal
Dupuis Staal Kennedy
Cooke Vitale Jeffrey

Naughty.
And yes I know Tangradi would have to earn it/prove himself, but I'd be happy to start the season giving him the chance to do so with less pressure. Love that amount of size added to our top6
Yep. Still think a Martin/Stewart swap makes sense. Especially if their management feels Martin can rebound in a more structured D zone scheme.

I'd feel quite confident with our roster subtracting Martin, promoting Niskanen, giving one of Despres/Strait/Bortuzzo bottom pairing duty with Engelland and adding Stewart as a winger for Sid.

The rest is up to DB and getting that roster playing defensively responsible hockey.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
MtlPenFan

Detroit will make their pitch, but they're not such a viable option these days.

Never mind Lidstrom retiring which is bad enough (that team looks completely rudderless without him), but their main guns aren't getting any younger and are already beginning to show their wear and tear.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
mpp9

I'll be interested to see how Zetterberg plays this year with the C. If he can return to form, they'll be a competitive team still.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Detroit will make their pitch, but they're not such a viable option these days.

Never mind Lidstrom retiring which is bad enough (that team looks completely rudderless without him), but their main guns aren't getting any younger and are already beginning to show their wear and tear.
Speaking of Detroit, they look like one of the best, if not the best, possible place to dump Martin to. It's not like they have no experience with soft PMD's, and their cap space is significant (over $20 mils.) so I would be surprised if they aren't one of the teams looking at Martin if Pens decide to trade him.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Speaking of Detroit, they look like one of the best, if not the best, possible place to dump Martin to. It's not like they have no experience with soft PMD's, and their cap space is significant (over $20 mils.) so I would be surprised if they aren't one of the teams looking at Martin if Pens decide to trade him.
It's funny, that team bought itself 10 extra years after the Yzerman years when they lucked out on the Zetterberg and Datsyuk drafts. Unless they have another couple of aces up their sleeve, I'm afraid that team's done for a while.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
If they don't get Suter I could see them being interested in Martin for sure.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
That defense is going to need an overhaul. Lidstrom retires, Stuart's rights are traded to San Jose, etc. That's two important pieces to their top 4 over the past half dozen years that need replacing.

If I'm Shero, I'm pushing hard for them to take Martin. I'd prefer the Stewart from St. Louis idea, but I'm not sure St. Louis would be as interested in Martin as much as a revamped Detroit might.

Closed Thread