HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we missing the presence of Hamrlik...

Old
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So you necro-bumped an 8 month old thread for what? I told ya so's?

Hamrlik sucked this year and will suck even more next year. If anything is good about our terrible season it's that Emelin, Diaz and Subban got massive amounts of playing time.
Yes.......I told you so. But if would have read my post at all you would have recognized that filling that void is STILL a concern. Sure perhaps the future looks brighter with Markov than it has in the last few years. At the same time the man has played how many games in the last few years? So to me it's still a concern with only Subban as the only capable all around d-man able to ramp up his game should Markov get injured again.

It was a concern last year when essentially the choices were Gill and Hamrlik. So as an organization do the Habs have a clue yet what has happened to the defence the last few years and why? That's my present concern and my present concern has a lot to do with decisions made last summer with regards to the D.

Yes.......I told you so. And BTW........the majority of Caps fans don't have a problem with bringing Hamrlik back at his price tag for another season. His play for the last two thirds of the season and during the playoffs was adequate and what they expected when he was signed.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Yes.......I told you so. But if would have read my post at all you would have recognized that filling that void is STILL a concern. Sure perhaps the future looks brighter with Markov than it has in the last few years. At the same time the man has played how many games in the last few years? So to me it's still a concern with only Subban as the only capable all around d-man able to ramp up his game should Markov get injured again.

It was a concern last year when essentially the choices were Gill and Hamrlik. So as an organization do the Habs have a clue yet what has happened to the defence the last few years and why? That's my present concern and my present concern has a lot to do with decisions made last summer with regards to the D.

Yes.......I told you so. And BTW........the majority of Caps fans don't have a problem with bringing Hamrlik back at his price tag for another season. His play for the last two thirds of the season and during the playoffs was adequate and what they expected when he was signed.
Let's assume the Habs had signed Hamrlik and that he had contributed maximally, even heroically (LOL). Would you have been pleased if the Habs had finished 25th instead of 28th as a result of his efforts? You were thinking about how he might have mentored the young Dmen for next season but the Habs have two experienced Dmen, Markov and Kaberle. Also, if you would recall, Hamrlik insisted on a 2-year contract and he would have been on the roster today (unless the Habs could have unloaded him the way they did with Gill, and Hamrlik might have wanted a NMC if he had remained). That's the way I look at it and obviously we're almost 180 degrees apart.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:20 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Let's assume the Habs had signed Hamrlik and that he had contributed maximally, even heroically (LOL). Would you have been pleased if the Habs had finished 25th instead of 28th as a result of his efforts? You were thinking about how he might have mentored the young Dmen for next season but the Habs have two experienced Dmen, Markov and Kaberle. Also, if you would recall, Hamrlik insisted on a 2-year contract and he would have been on the roster today (unless the Habs could have unloaded him the way they did with Gill, and Hamrlik might have wanted a NMC if he had remained). That's the way I look at it and obviously we're almost 180 degrees apart.
I'll try this again for the umpteenth time. It's no longer about Hamrlik but the void he left and his contributions to an injury riddled defence. I am not confident going into next season with a D including an unproven, oft injured Markov. Should he go down again who will step up? Kaberle is now a two way d-man? Gorges is now a two-way d-man? IMHO the Habs need another two way d-man even if he's only of the fourth variety.

You're not Pierre Gauthier are you? You know - the guy that put all his eggs in one basket last year.

In regards to Hamrlik's contract - so Gauthier offered him one year at any price means Hamrlik should have accepted? FYI I read somewhere that JM wanted Hamrlik back for two years. Unfortunately the link escapes me. IMO the NMC was a non issue and not a demand by Hamrlik. He doesn't have one in Washington - he wanted the extra year - that's all.

And you really want the one dimensional, soft as butter, out of shape Kaberle mentoring young d-men?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
I'll try this again for the umpteenth time. It's no longer about Hamrlik but the void he left and his contributions to an injury riddled defence. I am not confident going into next season with a D including an unproven, oft injured Markov. Should he go down again who will step up? Kaberle is now a two way d-man? Gorges is now a two-way d-man? IMHO the Habs need another two way d-man even if he's only of the fourth variety.

You're not Pierre Gauthier are you? You know - the guy that put all his eggs in one basket last year.

In regards to Hamrlik's contract - so Gauthier offered him one year at any price means Hamrlik should have accepted? FYI I read somewhere that JM wanted Hamrlik back for two years. Unfortunately the link escapes me. IMO the NMC was a non issue and not a demand by Hamrlik. He doesn't have one in Washington - he wanted the extra year - that's all.

And you really want the one dimensional, soft as butter, out of shape Kaberle mentoring young d-men?
Put a stopwatch on Hamrlik and tell me if you still want him (it would be the second year of his 2-year contract had Guthier agreed withhis terms). The youngsters would look at Hamrlik and wonder why he was on the team. I'd say Kaberle is more mobile at this stage and whilehe's no great shakes defensively he's capable of contributing more points than Hamrlik. I'm afraid you're overrating the value of Hamrlik's mentoring. I'd prefer it to come from a new assistant coach (ideally, Robinson).

Old
06-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Put a stopwatch on Hamrlik and tell me if you still want him (it would be the second year of his 2-year contract had Guthier agreed withhis terms). The youngsters would look at Hamrlik and wonder why he was on the team. I'd say Kaberle is more mobile at this stage and whilehe's no great shakes defensively he's capable of contributing more points than Hamrlik. I'm afraid you're overrating the value of Hamrlik's mentoring. I'd prefer it to come from a new assistant coach (ideally, Robinson).
Hamrlik is less than he was a few years ago, and I don't think we would have been a good team without Hamrlik back. But we needed a well rounded defender who could play in all situations last year, and could have been trusted with big minutes.

I think the Habs would have been better off giving Hammer a two year deal than Gill a one (everything you say about Hamrlik applies to Gill too, plus he's worse at everything except penalty kills).

Though an even better option would have been to find a Hamrlik replacement.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

What is this? Night of the living dead?

This thread is ancient.

Bring on the draft.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

No, we miss the presence of McDonagh and Gomez's cap room!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Weren't you one of the ones that absolutley hated Hamrlik?

Are we missing Hamrlik?

Right now...but we probably will. It's not so much that we're missing Hamrlik per-se, but we haven't replaced what he brought to the team, this can be a problem down the line. Shot-blocking, minute-eating, defensively responsible top 4 d-man. This is the biggest hole this team is missing right now, I hope it gets filled at some point.
Like I said before the season started. We weren't missing Hamrlik, but we were missing a Hamrlik type.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Like I said before the season started. We weren't missing Hamrlik, but we were missing a Hamrlik type.
And as I said before, if you want a Hamrlik-type player in his prime, you have to pay him $5M+ per annum. The Hamrlik of the present is worth <$2M and you get what you pay for. I'd rather have Emelin, not to mention that the Habs have Markov, Gorges, and Subban. Even Kaberle, with his higher salary, is more cost-effective than Hamrlik for the coming season. The man has slowed down significantly. I would be surprised if the Caps don't try to unburden themselves of him.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

No, we were missing dman with experience and a healthy roster...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:14 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
What is this? Night of the living dead?

This thread is ancient.

Bring on the draft.
Although the thread may be ancient is it safe to say the problem still exists - that is the Habs are still missing a minute eating, shot blocking, two way d-man, top four d-man? Or will Diaz or Weber or Emelin evolve into that role this year or will Diaz and Emelin go into sophomore slumps? Are there still question marks on the D just as last year?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Yes but Hamrlik is no longer that. So we need pre-09' Hamrlik comparable. If we play our cards right, there are a few LD UFAs that can fill that need.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Yes but Hamrlik is no longer that. So we need pre-09' Hamrlik comparable. If we play our cards right, there are a few LD UFAs that can fill that need.
Emelin might be our best bet for that. I think him and DIaz I would pencil them in as #5 and 6 but I think they can play a much bigger role.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Why bother to gnaw on this bone? Would Hamrlik have made any difference to the Habs? As for Gill, Gauthier gained worthwhile assets by trading him. I'd rather have that second rounder than either Gill or Hamrlik. Mentor shmentor!

Old
06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Without Roman, this team is destined to miss the playoffs and fail.

Your sarcasm was prophetic.