HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders not interested in re-signing PA Parenteau?

Old
06-11-2012, 04:07 PM
theboss

vCash: 500
Hopefully the habs do not go after him, the last thing we need is another soft forward

theboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Snow doesn't want anyone earning more money than Tavares. The situation is similar to the Doughty contract issue last year. However there is still a lot of time left to sign him and no one should get worried unless he is still unsigned the day before July 1st.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd be interested in Leo to NYI..We have too many d-men right now. What would NYI send back to Buffalo?
I'm only guessing,but I think Snow would be shopping his 2nd and Lee.

No idea really ,if Snow makes a trade before at least testing the ufa market in 3 weeks.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:14 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Snow doesn't want anyone earning more money than Tavares. The situation is similar to the Doughty contract issue last year. However there is still a lot of time left to sign him and no one should get worried unless he is still unsigned the day before July 1st.
Maybe Snow's telling Parenteau's rep,that the isles offer is still on the board?

I guess there's nothing to be lost, by leaving the offer out there.Kind of hard not to think other teams won't make bigger offers though.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Okposo scored 24 goals this season.
Scoring 1-6 more, will prove he is a a true top 6 winger?
Okposo would need to have a very angry summer to up his compete level to where I'd call him a top six winger. That #1 RW spot needs more grit, and since JT can't do it all himself and Moulson's a Lady Byng candidate, I'd rather not fill that position with KO unless absolutely necessary.

One good thing about PAP was he wasn't such the stranger to running his mouth and getting in an opponent's face a little after a whistle, unlike KO.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Maybe Snow's telling Parenteau's rep,that the isles offer is still on the board?

I guess there's nothing to be lost, by leaving the offer out there.Kind of hard not to think other teams won't make bigger offers though.
Snow being Snow, he probably made him an offer at the end of the season and at this current point in time Parenteau is talking with his agent preparing a counter offer. Things should get serious after the draft.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 04:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
Okposo would need to have a very angry summer to up his compete level to where I'd call him a top six winger. That #1 RW spot needs more grit, and since JT can't do it all himself and Moulson's a Lady Byng candidate, I'd rather not fill that position with KO unless absolutely necessary.

One good thing about PAP was he wasn't such the stranger to running his mouth and getting in an opponent's face a little after a whistle, unlike KO.
Tavares best month of this season was easily Jan.The month Okposo was on his rw,doing the grunt work:fighting for pucks along the boards and behind the net.

In 13 games,Tavares had 22 pts and was a plus 11.The only month he finished with a plus.

I will be more then happy, if the isles go with a 1st line of Moulson-Tavares-Okposo next season.

Old
06-11-2012, 04:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

This is one UFA I'd be very scared if giving a big pay day to.

06-11-2012, 05:05 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
This is one UFA I'd be very scared if giving a big pay day to.
You'd think gms would be leery after the Leino signing.

But,I expect some team will give Parenteau a long term contract at $4.5m-$5m.

Old
06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Jason Blake part II

Shoulda traded him at the deadline and get a pick/prospect back
of course because they isles weren't able to make the play offs at that point

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
startainfection

how bad was the injury that he got in the last isles home game? i remember he couldn't even skate off the ice

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Islander Prophet

The only way they could let him go is if he demands way too much and the feel they can sign another good forward to replace him

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:38 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Tavares's cap hit is $5.5m and his actual take home will be $4m.He signed after Stamkos signed for $7m per.

Pay Parenteau Tavares type money?

Oh,**** no.

Someone else can have that honor.
I've been saying this all along. JT is the upper limit on the Islanders for now. PA Parenteau isn't going to be the guy to break it. A legit 1A center or top-2 d-man worth their salt in the open market would be required to come close or jump JT's salary. (Though I imagine the salary cap requirement might have them add a defender or two who are closer than they should be to that level of pay.)

If the Islanders are going to throw $5.00 million at a player, it shouldn't be PA Parenteau. If they do, I'll be pissed.

He's not a good skater. He isn't big. He isn't a goal scorer. He's a complementary playmaking winger who competes hard and can show off his skill when given enough time and space. That's not a $5.00 million player. His best skill is his stickhandling. Give him the length of the ice to get some speed and he'll keep the puck on a string into the offensive zone. That's truly his best ability.

This isn't to say that Parenteau won't fit in well in the right environment. Put PA next to a goalscoring center who can skate, play big, and get back to his own zone; do that, and he'll earn his paycheck. Give him ample PP time and he'll produce there.

PA isn't the answer for the current version of the Islanders 2nd line. He's replaceable at reduced cost by Kyle Okposo on the 1st line. KO has shown he can play well with JT and Moulson. (The line's best month all season came with KO on the line.)

The Islanders money is better spent elsewhere, even if they have to obtain a player via trade. They need a top-4, if not top-2 defender. If they're willing to spend $25 million over 5 years, then they should be aiming at different holes in their lineup. They should also be aiming at a player with better physical attributes than PA Parenteau. The Islanders aren't exactly the best skating or toughest lineup by any stretch of the imagination. This is a spot they need to upgrade to improve the makeup of the team. Even with KO defaulting into 1st line RW, it's a better mix for that line. It allows for dollars to be spent elsewhere.

...I beat this to death a while back. Give PA the player I mentioned above and he'll produce. Just don't expect him to do it on his own. PA will get his points. PA will also be slow to get pucks due to a lack of acceleration and natural skating ability, and will fall backwards on his ass more than any other player on your team. He'll finish his checks and he'll yap, but he isn't a big player. He'll gain the zone with the puck, but he'll need to be allowed to carry it more often than not. If you don't have a right side defender who can get shots to the net, then you'll be missing a lot of what PAP has to offer. (PAP's "go to move" is often to gain the zone and simply backhand it off the boards to the point. If you don't have a center who can back other players off, expect to see that play every single time.)

It also seems like PA's teammates like him. Maybe I missed a finer point here or there, but that's pretty much everything you need to know.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:50 AM
boredmale

I wonder if the Islander feel that 24 year old Rhett Rakhshani might be able to step in and fill PAPs purpose on the team. He has quietly had 2 good seasons in the AHL already(62 points in 66 games and 49 in 49)

He is sort of at that point that is make it or break it.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:51 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I wonder if the Islander feel that 24 year old Rhett Rakhshani might be able to step in and fill PAPs purpose on the team. He has quietly had 2 good seasons in the AHL already(62 points in 66 games and 49 in 49)

good point bored. he has earned a shot. even if we need some size of front, he has played well enough to merit a big cup...

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Shoulda traded him at the deadline and get a pick/prospect back
I agree and was going ballistic at the TD time.

Whatever anyone thinks of PAP in his entirety, the guy has had 53 and 67 points in his first two full NHL seasons and is heading into his prime.

It was CLEAR AS DAY that he was OBVIOUSLY going to at least test the free agent market.

Who wouldn't?

Seriously, who in their right mind would 'simply resign' with a bottomfeeder for reasons of loyalty or chemistry when he was staring at what may be not only his biggest payday ever, but likely his ONLY BIG PAYDAY.

There's no character issue here. There's no "the Isles aren't doing everything to keep him".

He's doing what every sane athlete would do in his situation.

The problem here for the Islanders is simple: If you're not making the playoffs and you have no guarantee that you can resign a guy, you HAVE to trade him at the deadline. You have to flip that into an asset. There's really no ifs, ands or buts to this. If you're an NHL GM in that position, you have to bite the bullet and move that guy. Get something and then open negotiations in July like every other team.

Snow surprised us all a bit with the quick resigning of Nabakov (a good thing), but PAP's upcoming market power is simply much stronger than Nabakov's in light of his position and the relative lack of 50+ point scorers to be had as UFAs this summer. He's a complimentary player, but boy would he ever look nice on a number of teams out there.

I can't even imagine what he could do if he signs with a club like Pittsburgh. The guy has hands and good offensive instincts and hustles a lot more than many would want to give him credit for.

I seriously doubt the Isles can resign him, but it won't be for lack of trying. The money might also be real good, but chances are that a more competitive team will be offering the same dough and better options.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

If no real help is added from the outside, then it is safe to assume that both Ullstrom and Rakhshani will be entering camp with jobs 'to lose'.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if exactly this is the plan.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Okposo scored 24 goals this season.
Scoring 1-6 more, will prove he is a a true top 6 winger?
Considering he has never done it, yes it would go a long way. Is it the only thing? no.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Nope. It's a cap rising world, P.A deserves more.
Agreed, my rule of thumb for forwards is 0.1m per point (clearly doesn't consider all factors but it works out pretty well)

Kelly 3m cap hit for 39 points (personally I was surprised he signed that cheap, probably for term)
Campbell 1.6m cap hit for 16 points
Jones 4m cap hit for 37 points
McLeod 1.15m cap hit for 11 points
Koivu 3.8m for 38 points
Grabo 5.5m cap hit for 51 points
Connolly last off season got signed for 4.75m cap hit after he got 42 points in 68 games

These are some of the most recent contracts. My rule of thumb doesn't work perfectly but in general it is very close. I would expect most of the UFAs to be like this. It is the going rate now.

That said, I don't think PA will get 6.7m cap hit. I think if he resigns with NYI, it will be 5m cap hit (can't go over Tavares for obvious reasons) but if he signs as a UFA I think his cap hit will end up being 5.5m with term or 6m for a 1 or 2 year deal.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:49 AM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbang76 View Post
He and Desharnais are good friends apparently... I say he signs in Montreal to play on Plekanec's wing....

5 years/5 mil per with an NTC...
The Habs have more cap space than needed and they won't be able to sign any of the big UFA in July for the simple reason that they suck.

But we know Parenteau would love to play for the Habs :
«Jouer à Montréal, ça demeure le rêve de tout jeune Québécois. C'est le mien en tout cas. Mais j'ai une saison à finir et je veux bien la finir. On s'en reparlera l'été prochain.» (playing for Montreal is every Quebecers dream. Well it's at least my dream. But I still have one season to play, so we'll see next summer)

The Habs PP could use his creativity and passing skills and we actually need a RW for next season on the top 3 lines next to Pacioretty and Gionta since I'd like Leblanc to have a full year in the AHL with all the new guys there (Tinordi, Gallagher, Ellis, Beaulieu...).

I do think however that 5Mx5 is a bit risky.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:15 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:

Excellent point.

Why pay through the nose when a young guy can do the job on the cheap. After 2 good seaons in the AHL, the kid clearly deserves a shot on the big team. also it will give the Islanders some money to spend on UFAs.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:05 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
If no real help is added from the outside, then it is safe to assume that both Ullstrom and Rakhshani will be entering camp with jobs 'to lose'.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if exactly this is the plan.
With the Islanders affinaty for guys that play multiple positions I think the Open roster spot is Nelson's or Strome's to lose. Something like

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Bailey
Nelson - Ullstrom - Martin

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:26 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Tavares best month of this season was easily Jan.The month Okposo was on his rw,doing the grunt work:fighting for pucks along the boards and behind the net.

In 13 games,Tavares had 22 pts and was a plus 11.The only month he finished with a plus.

I will be more then happy, if the isles go with a 1st line of Moulson-Tavares-Okposo next season.
While Tavares played well with Okposo for a short while, the line quickly grew ice cold. Tavares had 2 points in the first 8 games in February. The line was so cold that Cappy put PAP back on the line not to get PAP more points, but to jump start Tavares.

It should also be noted that PAP had a great January on the second line with 13 points in 13 games, for those that think he can only score with Tavares.

Fact is, I would be very weary of counting on Okposo to play on the top line until he proves he can compete at a high level for more than a 10-15 game stretch.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
Excellent point.

Why pay through the nose when a young guy can do the job on the cheap. After 2 good seaons in the AHL, the kid clearly deserves a shot on the big team. also it will give the Islanders some money to spend on UFAs.
Because the young guy has never proven he can do it in the NHL. Grabner, Bailey, Okposo are other players who haven't proven they can consistently play on a high level. Bring in a proven top-6 player and let Rak fight in camp and earn a spot. If he outplays some vets, he gets time. If not, he doesn't. You don't just hand him a spot because he was successful at the AHL level.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Considering he has never done it, yes it would go a long way. Is it the only thing? no.
Take away his surgery season and he's scored 18,19 and 24 goals.
Let's say for the next 3-4 yrs,he scores 23/24 goals a yr on the 2nd line,never hitting 25-30.

Is he a 3rd liner because he's falled 1-6 goals a yr short?