HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS] Kelly Re-signed (4 Years, $12 Million - AAV of $3 Million)

Old
06-12-2012, 08:45 AM
CHill Seeker

vCash: 500
from a hab fan POV: good signing. first he's a 3rd liner not 4th i believe...second, clutch vet who scored 20 goals...solid deal

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
from a hab fan POV: good signing. first he's a 3rd liner not 4th i believe...second, clutch vet who scored 20 goals...solid deal
Correct. 3rd liner not 4th. 4th liner is Campbell

Plays the pk and does a lot of the little things for the Bruins including the big draws when Bergeron is not taking them. Love the move

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
unifiedtheory

I really like the Kelly deal. In a world where David Jones gets $4 million a year getting Kelly at $3 million is a good deal. He would have gotten more as a UFA. He's a handy player and brings leadership.

I'm not crazy about the Campbell deal. I love our 4th line but damn, it is making a lot of money. We need to have some ELC's on this roster to balance the cap a little.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Dragon Priest
Go Pens, Go Sharks!

Good deal for Boston. Kelly has been a good fit since they brought him over from Ottawa. Was thinking $3 Million is a little high, but he probably would have got that or more on the open market.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Excellent deal for boston over here.

06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Pretty expensive for a bottom 6er. Not only did Kelly get a nice payday but he also got some pretty good term that will take him to 35. He's a great defensive player but he's only hit 20G once (last season) and gambling on a career 14G-31pt with a 3M cap hit is pretty risky.

I have no doubt he will continue to be a good player for the Bruins, but I'm not sure he'll quite live up to a 3M cap hit which are generally reserved for players with more offensive prowess.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Pretty expensive for a bottom 6er. Not only did Kelly get a nice payday but he also got some pretty good term that will take him to 35. He's a great defensive player but he's only hit 20G once (last season) and gambling on a career 14G-31pt with a 3M cap hit is pretty risky.

I have no doubt he will continue to be a good player for the Bruins, but I'm not sure he'll quite live up to a 3M cap hit which are generally reserved for players with more offensive prowess.
Kelly likely would have gotten close to 4 on the open market, hes an elite PKer, great leader, winner and has some offensive ability. I'm more than happy with the 3m cap hit, as are all Bruins fans.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:

He got the same deal as your boy Joel Ward and Kelly has much more better stats during his career. For a 3rd liner he has 5+ 30pts seasons

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
BadBruins

Quote:

I see Kelly as a higher end prototypical 3rd liner. He's consistently good for about 15 G/35A and does it all at ES and SH. Combine that with his plus D at center (a premium position), leadership, and solid faceoff ability, I have a hard time seeing this one coming back to bite them anytime soon.

Claude Julien asks a lot of "bottom 6ers" like Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly. Peverley plays about 17 minutes a game and Kelly 15. You have to pay for quality depth. I'm just happy they each came in at fair prices. Both were set to become UFA's this summer and are coming off of strong seasons.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:34 PM
jh477

Kelly's leadership and locker room presence are almost worth the contract alone. He is a terrific personality and the kind of player every team needs. The Sens have been missing him since day 1 of the trade.

jh477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Does this mean both Kreji and Spooner are on the block? What does Boston need in return for shipping off one or both of these guys?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Does this mean both Kreji and Spooner are on the block? What does Boston need in return for shipping off one or both of these guys?
Why would Spooner be on the block? Krejci is probably available at the right price, but Spooner is just starting his post junior career.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:34 AM
roboninja
EYG

Great signing for both sides. Kelly is worth more probably, but he got his 4-year term and gets to forgo another move.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:

It was also his first full year in Boston playing with Peverley for a good portion of the year, people need to take this into account when saying he will never get 20 again.

His leadership is valued by the Bruins they gave him an A in his second year, the Bruins got in trouble when they let a lot of there leadership go a few years ago with guys like Ward and Yelle.

Those two things make this a good contract from the Bruins point of view.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:42 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
I am sure some people will tell you that they could be on the block, but I don't see it happening. It would really have to be a special player that they are getting in return and I doubt they will be entertaining offers from bargain hunters, so in short, they would be available for an upgrade even if that meant the Bruins had to add to the deal.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:38 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Quote:
Spooner can play the wing. That seems to be the plan for him.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:41 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Nobody has mentioned the fact that he wore one of the "A's" with Bergeron and Ference last season - he's extremely valued for his leadership and locker-room presence, on top of his on-ice veteran presence, faceoff ability and defense. His 20 goals last season was just a cherry on top. He was one of our best performers throughout the playoffs last season when they won the Cup, also. Guy shows up to play on any given night. One of the more dependable players out there.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Seachd

Lavoie is saying the NHL has rejcted the contract.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

NHL reject Bruins Chris Kelly 4 years / 12 million contract. Cap issues for the Bruins right now.

From Ren Lavoie from RDS

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Tagging room concerns?

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:58 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

Yikes.

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
NHL reject Bruins Chris Kelly 4 years / 12 million contract. Cap issues for the Bruins right now.

From Ren Lavoie from RDS
"Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said the deal with Kelly can't be completed until July 1 due to payroll tagging issues, but both sides have let it be known there won't be any reneging"

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:10 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
"Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said the deal with Kelly can't be completed until July 1 due to payroll tagging issues, but both sides have let it be known there won't be any reneging"
I couldn't see Kells backing out. Too good a guy to screw over the B's.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:13 PM
deflowd

I don't understand. What is payroll tagging, and why was the contract voided?

Thanks.

deflowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I hope this isn't off topic.

Is Marc Savard permanently on LTIR? Does his cap count towards the cap during the off season? Does any of this pertain to the Kelly signing?

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote