HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keeping this Team together.....

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Keeping this Team together.....

My guess is that Stoll re-signs at a discount, for a longer term deal.

My other guess is that Penner will demand a raise and be shown the door.

Am I wrong?

In any event, I'm so glad Dean's our GM. We're definitely not a "one and done" team like so many who've won the thing over the last 20 years or so. This team has the best chance of any team to have won it over the last 20 seasons to actually get 3 or 4 in a row. That's all Dean!

Old
06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think Penner will demand a raise, but I have a feeling he will be shown the door. I think you are right about Stoll and we trade Loktionov, perhaps a long with Bernier. The core is signed, Quick isn't going anywhere, so we are definitely looking good for the future. Will be interesting to see what additions we can make this offseason, we are definitely poised to make some noise again next season. Quick making $1.8 million for one more year helps that immensely.

The big question is: what is this going to cost us the season after?

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The big question is: what is this going to cost us the season after?

The moon, if he wants it. He can have two.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
The moon, if he wants it. He can have two.
Pretty much He can write his own check and be the highest paid goaltender in the league if he wants it. Hopefully we get a better deal than that, but no matter what, we are easily shelling out $6 million+

Old
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Leiweke said Quick could write his own contract if he brought home the cup.

Old
damacles1156

Quick is going to get 6.5 to 7 mill. He deserves every penny of it as well.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Capn Brown

Quick is a team-first guy and very, very humble. I've been saying this all year long and maybe even parts of the previous year: Quick will sign a multi-year deal for $4.75m per year.

Is he worth more than that? Absolutely! But Quick's not just humble, but smart enough to realize that this team has the perfect opportunity to be a "dynasty team" and that individual greed has the potential to derail a Stanley Cup dynasty.

Call me crazy.

Flame away.

$4.75 million per. You shall see!

Old
06-12-2012, 10:44 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

First thing's first, let's sign Zach Parise!! Hahahaha

Old
06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Quick is a team-first guy and very, very humble. I've been saying this all year long and maybe even parts of the previous year: Quick will sign a multi-year deal for $4.75m per year.

Is he worth more than that? Absolutely! But Quick's not just humble, but smart enough to realize that this team has the perfect opportunity to be a "dynasty team" and that individual greed has the potential to derail a Stanley Cup dynasty.

Call me crazy.

Flame away.

First of all the NHLPA would not let him sign that low(The Kings would also not lowball him). The Union would be all over Quick. There is no way Quick's agent or the Union, let Quick ink a Contract for lower than 6 Mill.

We also said the same thing about Drew Doughty(team Guy discount BLAH BLAH)..... Look how that turned out. Drew wanted to be the highest paid King, also the Highest paid D man in the league(team be damned).

Old
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Muzzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
After that Stanley Cup performance, do not want Zach.

Hope Quick gets his money and the core stays intact. Give him a front loaded bonus to help the smaller figure, if you can.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:52 AM
niomosy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Heh, I can hear Lombardi...

"Hey Zach, sorry about your cup loss. Speaking of which, why don't you stop by and we can talk about you winning one next time?"

Old
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I figure 1-2 of our bottom 6 might be gone. If the lineup stays the same, Richardson as spare Fwd and Clifford to AHL?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:

Call me crazy.

Flame away.

LOL, no chance. Like Dmac said, the NHLPA would never let it happen, he is at minimum getting 6, but 7 is the standard set by Rinne.

As for Penner and Stoll, I still say offer them one year deals, if they show up and play well a full season we can discuss a long term deals, the Kings can't be throwing money around to a couple of guys who were invisible most of the season. We have no idea what the CBA is going to be like or how high the cap will be, and we have Quick to sign next summer (7 million) and Brown the summer after that. Brown has been underpaid and will rightfully be seeking something in the 6 year, 30 million range.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I say re-sign EVERYONE

Old
06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
My guess is that Stoll re-signs at a discount, for a longer term deal.
... and Stoll says: "hey, I"m just sitting here!! We just won the Cup and you're alreay talking about me making less next season?! Let me enjoy this for 24 hours first!"

Old
06-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzfan View Post
To be fair, Kovalchuk's injury affected his ability to perform as well. When you got your top line-mate skating on one leg, its kind of hard to perform at your optimum level.

I will take Parise in a New York minute and I think the Kings will go after him HARD. Brown and Parise are friends and Parise had a front-row seat at the freight train that is the Los Angeles Kings. I do believe we are the front-runner now to get him. Would be ****ing awesome.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I say re-sign EVERYONE

No.

We need to upgrade the third and fourth lines. Fraser is a UFA and he will get some love from beyond. I would love to keep him, he is a great fourth-liner, but I don't know if the Kings will do that.

Penner will also get some love, most notably from Toronto, who is aching to get him. Will the Kings match? I would love to see him back, but we have to be realistic about such chances.

Despite Lewis' heroics last night (he had a GREAT game, not just the goals), we really do need to upgrade his position. A third-liner HAS to have more than 7 points during the regular season. Just has to. Besides, every time he is on a breakaway, I just know he is going to flub it. I am still astonished me made that penalty shot earlier this season.

So, there will be changes. But hopefully we will be able to keep most everyone on the boat for next seasons.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzfan View Post

Hope Quick gets his money and the core stays intact. Give him a front loaded bonus to help the smaller figure, if you can.
Didn't think Parise played that bad. He was one of the better forwards in game 4 and 5, and he's always showing great efforts. Having Kovalchuk on the line was like carrying a giant elephant around. However, going on a bidding war for Parise is something i would stay away from

As for the team, this team is probably the easiest team to keep together. Most of the top guys are signed to long term deals and cap will be going up. DL built this team from ground up and we didn't seek high price UFA and cap hell in exchange for the cup like the Blackhawks did a few years back.

Stoll will stay if the team don't ditch him. Only guy i see leaving is Penner. He had a great playoff stretch but he was playing AHL style hockey before that. He will get the deals he will not deserve and unlikely for us to match. He will take the money, maybe his last opportunity

Old
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
KingsFan7824

You never know with free agents coming off a Cup win(hehehehe), or even just a good playoff. They can get some decent money. Right now, sign everyone back. Penner and Stoll each had series clinching goals in OT. 10 weeks ago, Penner and Stoll couldn't leave fast enough. Why weren't they both thrown into that Carter/Johnson deal just to get rid of them? We'll see how that plays out.

Gagne may or may not be back. If he's back, he's on the top 2 lines, but still injury prone. If he's not back, the Kings have a hole to fill.

Carter was thrown into a RW spot, but he's a center. If Stoll leaves, maybe move Carter to center, then you've got Kopitar, Carter, and Richards down the middle.

The great thing is that it'll all be figured out with a Cup in their back pocket.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
No.

We need to upgrade the third and fourth lines. Fraser is a UFA and he will get some love from beyond. I would love to keep him, he is a great fourth-liner, but I don't know if the Kings will do that.

Penner will also get some love, most notably from Toronto, who is aching to get him. Will the Kings match? I would love to see him back, but we have to be realistic about such chances.

Despite Lewis' heroics last night (he had a GREAT game, not just the goals), we really do need to upgrade his position. A third-liner HAS to have more than 7 points during the regular season. Just has to. Besides, every time he is on a breakaway, I just know he is going to flub it. I am still astonished me made that penalty shot earlier this season.

So, there will be changes. But hopefully we will be able to keep most everyone on the boat for next seasons.
I think we keep Lewis, will let Richardson's contract expire after this upcoming season, re-sign Stoll, drop Penner, re-sign Fraser, re-sign Nolan, and I have a feeling we will move Clifford and upgrade that position, but perhaps not next season, but eventually.

Fraser has won 2 cups now and was huge for us, Nolan was our best source of energy on the fourth line, Clifford had good energy when he played, King had a staggering year and is cemented right now as the fourth line left wing, and Lewis was just great all around. As it currently stands is not horrendous. I kind of like it.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan
Richardson as spare forward

Old
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
bobafettish*

dont think stoll will take a paycut. with the cap raising lots of teams will throw money at him. but there are lots of UFA or lewis that could fill his void. priority should be resigning quick, anything else is icing.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
cyclones22

Did you guys not see Penner's interview on Kings Live? He genuinely sounded like he wanted desperately to come back next year. Said that he knows the feeling of leaving a Cup winning team the following year and wanted to experience what it felt like to actually stick around. Said that he would be talking to his agent about trying to make that happen.

If you can get Stoll and Penner back at a reasonable cost, I think you do it. I don't think that precludes you from trying to sign a Parise or someone else if you can, but at not at anything exorbitant. We don't know what Simon does in the offseason as well.

One thing is this team as it stands has only been together for about about 50 games including the playoffs. At full strength under Sutter, this team is ridiculously good, so I don't think it's a bad thing to keep things status quo. Especially, given the youth on this team. Anyway, this is the latest I've ever even thought about the offseason...good times ahead.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:36 PM
losingsand

if somehow we had to CHOOSE.. i'd take penner over stoll, Lewis has the tools to become what Stoll is...minus the shot, but also minus the dumb penalties.

Penner just because he's a difficult kind of player to replace, if he can come back as a discount, i'm all for it.

Biggest concern is signing quick...this guy's gotta retire a king.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Keep Stoll, let Penner walk, trade Bernier and Loktionov. Tell Gagne to retire. Profit.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
No.

You gotta keep Lewis.

He is a great third liner. I want to see another year of him under DS. Same goes for Frazz, Nolan and King.

Closed Thread