HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes to Sabres Broadcasting- Ray Color, Neale Studio, Duff full time, Sly Radio

Old
06-12-2012, 06:51 AM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
Overall I like the moves. But I thought Neale said he was going to retire =/...Either way I'm sure they have given ray a tryout and he did ok otherwise they wouldn't have done it. I'm ok with more ray in the broadcast as he was one of my favorite all time sabres.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If Dunleavy is going to be the occasional fill-in, that would make all of this almost completely ideal. Love Duff's presence, the guy is such a pro.

06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleAustero View Post
I'm going to miss Harry in the booth.

Man, I think Pominville took that advice after the Jan 21st(?) loss to the Blues. Good advice, I guess.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:36 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|BUF|home

Awesome news

Ray replaces Neale as color guy, Neale goes into studio, Duff hired as full time, Sylvester hosts radio show
Hell yes.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Reddawg

Love all the moves...especially RJ staying on for another season and Rayzor staying between the benches...it keeps my dream of one day seeing him punch out Pierre McGuire modestly attainable.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Rayzor is an interesting pick for color since he's not exactly the most eloquent guy out there but I actually love his segments on Schopp/Bulldog and if he can bring, and they let him bring, some of that sarcasm and chemistry to the booth with RJ the better. I actually think he'd be better as a 2nd color guy in a 3-man booth but I expect we'll get more than just media notes from him, which is what we get from Harry.

Obviously the more Brian Duff is involved the better.

The other stuff is whatever to me. I'm glad the overall amount of Sabres coverage is increased, glad there's more RJ, interested to see who his replacement is.

Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I have no problem with Rob Ray providing color. Danny Gare does not have the make-up for a night's worth of color commentary.

Over the past year or so I have noticed a significant upgrade in Rob's flow to his commentary. The cliches have decreased and some good insight has been offered. This is something I was not expecting and I agree with the Sabres' decision in this case.

Finally, I would like to hear more from Brian Duff (Dennis Williams would also have been a big asset for this venture, but that is another story).
I suspect that loyalty also played a part in the promotion of Ray - he's paid his dues as a studio commentator, then on-ice commentator and now will get a more prominent role; any risks that Black & the Sabres may have sensed in putting Ray there probably were mitigated by the fact that he'll have a seasoned pro in RJ alongside him to tutor him (and Ray's often said that he's learned the most about broadcasting from him - I don't think he'll be as casual in his comments and may even feel more motivated to work harder on his speech / delivery with RJ next to him).

I thought Adam Benigni was also a viable candidate to take over the hosting duties had Duff been promoted to color commentator - but who knows if he wanted to leave his gig with the local news station and/or that Duff was even interested in anything other than hosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If Dunleavy is going to be the occasional fill-in, that would make all of this almost completely ideal. Love Duff's presence, the guy is such a pro.
Amen on both counts!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Dunleavy was the Leafs radio play-by-play guy last season. I wonder if that is impacting his ability to fill in on TV and radio for the Sabres?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:41 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Glad Sylvester got a radio show. Cowherd is unbearable. I remember when the survey came out, I felt there were a lot of petty and mean spirited comments about Sly. He's not the best broadcaster, but I have a hard time hoping for a guy who puts in honest hard work to get canned. Glad they found space for him.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Love all the moves...especially RJ staying on for another season and Rayzor staying between the benches...it keeps my dream of one day seeing him punch out Pierre McGuire modestly attainable.
According to TBN, it's more than just one more season for RJ:

Quote:
Rick Jeanneret will call Sabres broadcasts for several more seasons. He'll be joined by a new partner for the next one.

The Sabres announced numerous changes to their television and radio broadcasts Monday, and the biggest involves the booth. Jeanneret has signed a multiyear contract and will do play-by-play for more games than he did last season, when he took several breaks.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle898944.ece

Old
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Glad Sylvester got a radio show. Cowherd is unbearable. I remember when the survey came out, I felt there were a lot of petty and mean spirited comments about Sly. He's not the best broadcaster, but I have a hard time hoping for a guy who puts in honest hard work to get canned. Glad they found space for him.
His infamous smirk is better left unseen - which is why the radio-only format is the right venue to shift him to IMO. His voice isn't anymore annoying than Simon, Schopp or Bulldog.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Ted Black was on WGR this morning talking about a lot of this stuff.

I can't wait to get home and listen to more of it.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
So basically they just juggled the lines and kept the core intact.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Ted Black on WGR, clarifying the changes for those who don't understand:

HOME GAMES

- RJ PxP
- Rob Ray Color Commentary from between the benches

Black: "did this with Stiegerwold and Errey in PIT, worked very well, almost forces each of the men to share the time" implied that once they work a few games, it becomes more natural and they know when to ping pong, etc

ROAD GAMES

- Rob Ray in booth as colorman
- they have NOT determined the play-by-play fill in for RJ, and this is because they don't know how many or which games Jeanneret will not call. Once they have this information, they think they'll have plenty of time to get the spots filled.
- no mention of Dunleavy

Games vs. Other MSG Teams

- Sabres will have their own broadcast up and running for those games, home and/or away, because using the NYR/NYI/NJ feed is, "in so many words, bush league" - Black

Confirmed that Brian Duff will be FULL TIME behind the desk, pre-game and post game, home and away, with Roby. Sounds like Gare and Neale will be sprinkled in as additional "Roby's"

- Mentioned keeping Neale on in an administrative capacity, going to events, behind the scenes work....to me, implying he's totally done as a color man

So in short, just as I surmised earlier:

Duff is the new, fulltime Sylvester

Ray is the new Neale, but will be at ice-level for home games

Neale and Gare will be additional "Roby's"

Fill-in for games RJ does not call will be determined later

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
OkimLom

So Roby with Duff...Thank God. Kevin was so awkard with Roby. This also lets Roby be himself and not have to carry the Hockey knowledge load of the group. I hope this leads to less cliche type of moments.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

My feelings (putting aside the notion of RJ being done and needing to step down [it's time, Rick]:

This is near perfect. The only thing that makes this better is if we get a solid fill-in for games RJ does not call. Sylvester has been, in essence, fired (here's a weekly two-hour pity show, compared to your 74-game manning of the studio)

- Ray's analysis at ice level has been NOTICEABLY improving over the years, and what he brought last year, on top of Neale's drivel, was of value and noteworthy. He was AWFUL in the studio trying to find the right camera to look at, but once he got into the games while they were ongoing, he showed his worth, and continuously got better.

- we know that Duff is a breath of fresh air, a true professional, couldn't be happier to have him full-time

This is Ted Black listening to fans, really. I love it.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:13 PM
indigoo

This is all such great news. Wow - complete overhaul of the broadcasts. Duff, Ray on color. Man that's exciting!

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
With the news that the Sabres were trying to get their games shown in the Niagara region in Canada on television, would this of been the time that they would of announced it if it was going to happen this season?

Caroline Says ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

why does the organization refuse to move on from rj? he's a legend - i get that. but let's be honest. he pretty much sucks at this point. there's something to be said for going out on top rather than degenerating into a shell of his former self.

glad ray is getting an opportunity for a larger role. he still needs some polish but he improves every year and understands the game.

duff - awesome.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Ward View Post
why does the organization refuse to move on from rj? he's a legend - i get that. but let's be honest. he pretty much sucks at this point. there's something to be said for going out on top rather than degenerating into a shell of his former self.

glad ray is getting an opportunity for a larger role. he still needs some polish but he improves every year and understands the game.

duff - awesome.
They are not--and shouldn't--going to push him out. When RJ is ready to hang it up, he will. Yes, he is past his PxP prime. But the vast majority of the fans I would guess still absolutely love him.

Plus he isn't going out on top. That would be finally calling a Cup win. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned the right to keep calling games until the team on the ice finally gives him that moment. And as a fan, I want to hear that moment, called by that man.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:04 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Dunleavy was the Leafs radio play-by-play guy last season. I wonder if that is impacting his ability to fill in on TV and radio for the Sabres?
It is. he wont be doing it. He has a multi-yr deal with the Leafs

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
They are not--and shouldn't--going to push him out. When RJ is ready to hang it up, he will. Yes, he is past his PxP prime. But the vast majority of the fans I would guess still absolutely love him.

Plus he isn't going out on top. That would be finally calling a Cup win. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned the right to keep calling games until the team on the ice finally gives him that moment. And as a fan, I want to hear that moment, called by that man.
Agreed with all of the above. Seeing the Sabres win the Cup without a call from RJ just wouldn't be right.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:

duff - awesome.
You may have listened to 2 or 3 other play by play guys. But to say RJ sucks is downright wrong. There are a select few that may be as good or better than RJ. But there are a lot that are worse than RJ. Wise up

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Black: "did this with Stiegerwold and Errey in PIT, worked very well, almost forces each of the men to share the time" implied that once they work a few games, it becomes more natural and they know when to ping pong, etc
Last season was very noticeable how effective Ray was from between the benches - there were many times where the guys in the booth weren't sure what the penalty just being called was for and Ray jumped in with the explanation because he heard the refs on-ice announce it. Likewise, Ray often picked up on things being said on the benches or by players on the ice near him - which added good intel for the viewer IMO. I can see him and RJ working well in that tag-team kind of system.

Quote:
My feelings (putting aside the notion of RJ being done and needing to step down [it's time, Rick]:
Quote:
why does the organization refuse to move on from rj? he's a legend - i get that. but let's be honest. he pretty much sucks at this point. there's something to be said for going out on top rather than degenerating into a shell of his former self..
I think he hit a lull a few years ago, where his enthusiasm and attention span seemed to wander a bit - but he's been as good as can be expected the past 2 years IMO. Having a useless fool like Neale, whose many obvious on-air mistakes detracted from the broadcast, didn't help RJ.

Quote:
Ray's analysis at ice level has been NOTICEABLY improving over the years, and what he brought last year, on top of Neale's drivel, was of value and noteworthy. He was AWFUL in the studio trying to find the right camera to look at, but once he got into the games while they were ongoing, he showed his worth, and continuously got better.
The studio stint seemed full of tension and an undercurrent of bickering between Sylvester, Ray and Roby. it often looked like they were trying to take potshots at each other and fight for the best one-liners or camera shots.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
why does the organization refuse to move on from rj? he's a legend - i get that. but let's be honest. he pretty much sucks at this point.
Wow, really? He sucks at this point?

I must be ignorant as hell, because aside from occasionally misspeaking and saying the wrong player's name (which he usually quickly corrects), I still enjoy RJ's calls as much as ever.

"OFF THE GOAL-POST!"
lol

RJ has to get A LOT worse before I'd even consider wanting him gone.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote