HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Final Game #6 - NJD at LAK, postmortem edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
LouieLouieLam
The Only Vet D-man

vCash: 500
Marty kept hinting at "hopefully" returning. ****...

Old
06-12-2012, 10:02 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbroski420 View Post
In the post game he basically said he was coming back. I forget how he worded it, but he sounded pretty sure of himself.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbroski420 View Post
Well I think he refers to the possible lockout

Old
06-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge18 View Post
So are Dan O'Rourke and Chris Rooney gonna get their names engraved on the Cup? They earned it.
Rooney won't but O'Halloran should.

What's got the Irish stripes out for us anyways? Oh, we scratched the red head - Taormina.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Old
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM
FirmestPiano

Proud of the team but it's a tough defeat to swallow since it might be a while until we'll have a chance to win it all again (hopefully not). When you get the chance you have to take it, this time we didn't and it's hard to accept. Definitely going to be bitter for a while.

For the superstitious, like me. Think someone else mentioned this after the ECF. Whenever we've touched the Prince of wales trophy we've gone on to win the Stanley Cup. When we haven't, we've lost in the finals. Even though you want to win it every time, 3 outta 5 isn't too bad after all.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Stigy

It's a shame that we lost the way we did, but I couldn't be more proud of this team.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
For the superstitious, like me. Think someone else mentioned this after the ECF. Whenever we've touched the Prince of wales trophy we've gone on to win the Stanley Cup. When we haven't, we've lost in the finals. Even though you want to win it every time, 3 outta 5 isn't too bad after all.
True, the superstition really goes the opposite way for us, since people make it out that touching the little trophy is bad.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Remember when Zach said he really wanted to touch it but someone said he shouldn`t so he didn`t?

Damn you Patty.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Rooney won't but O'Halloran should.

What's got the Irish stripes out for us anyways? Oh, we scratched the red head - Taormina.
Well that explains a lot.

They were obviously out to get us because Tao didn't find the cap. **** you, Fayne!

Old
06-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Was not the refs faults we lost, but boy do I miss the Dapuzzo's and Scampinello's and McCreary's

Old
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

Terry Gregson is in charge of the officiating right? which is a shock, considering he was one of the good ones back then.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Questionable calls all series long. It is in the past.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:54 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I've never been one to blame officials, and I've always been one to say that accountability rests with the players to undo any damage done over the course of 60 minutes.

Yet, I can't help but feel that the refs helped dig a hole for the Devils could not possibly work their way out of. And I'm not one to have my confidence wavered easily.

Due to some overzealous misconducts, a special teams parade and some players shooken up after a couple of plays, the team was working with a pretty short bench for a while. It's hard to come out of a 3-0 hole when you don't have all your players at your disposal.

The boarding call shouldn't have been the undoing of the Devils, but there's only so much you can do when you're forced to kill off 5 minutes no matter what happens. You only have so many players to work with for the duration of the kill and they were already on their heels. It's on them to kill it off, but now the first period is wasted on the penalty killers legs being skated off.

And if you're going to hand out misconducts and a major, you need to call minor penalties too. It's ******** what didn't get called.

If it was just the boarding call, I wouldn't feel like this. It was a continuous pile on from the play leading up to the call on Bernier until the final whistle.
And I'm not trying to take away from an incredible season... but this game will never sit right with me.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Was not the refs faults we lost, but boy do I miss the Dapuzzo's and Scampinello's and McCreary's
Where's Stewart? He was the best of the best. Guys who played the game at a high level make the best refs. They understand the game and don't buy what the divers try to sell.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:01 AM
RockTheRock

Apologies for the rant...

I'm not implying any sort of conspiracy theory, but I have never seen the officials get in the way of pucks and/or players as much as they did in this year's SCF.

These guys are chosen to officiate the Finals based on their performance throughout the regular season/playoffs. They are supposed to be the best of the best and they were constantly in the way of the play. None of that changes the outcome of the series, but it blew my mind how they could constantly be in the way.

Were there questionable call/non-calls that may have caused the games/series to head in a different direction? Of course there were, but that's always going to be the case.

Here's the thing, though:

No one expected this team to make a run, but they did. They were down 3-2 in the first round. They weren't supposed to come back, but they did. The Flyers were the 'better team' and this team wasn't supposed to have a chance, but they did. The Rangers had Henrik and were rolling all year. This team wasn't expected to survive, but they did. They dropped the first two games of the Finals in OT and then lost the third to fall to 3-0. They didn't have a chance and weren't going to win a game in the series, but they did. They won one in front of the home crowd, too.

They believed in themselves and they made us believe.

They fell short of the ultimate goal and this one stings. It will take sometime to get over, but the truth is this team overachieved.

I couldn't be prouder to call myself a Devils fan.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

The refs can still go die in a fire. They gave the game to the Kings.

Proud of the team, though.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:04 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

I'm one of the few who think something shady was going on in Game 6 with the Kings getting 9...count'em....NINE Powerplays and the Devils getting only a token few when there were COUNTLESS other times where the Kings committed BLATANT, OBVIOUS Penalties but the Refs refused to call them.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Stigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
I'm one of the few who think something shady was going on in Game 6 with the Kings getting 9...count'em....NINE Powerplays and the Devils getting only a token few when there were COUNTLESS other times where the Kings committed BLATANT, OBVIOUS Penalties but the Refs refused to call them.
47 minutes to 6 minutes - its quite ridiculous, especially in a SCF elimination game.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Definitely the moment that killed this game for me.
The linesman is either a dumbass or an *******.

There really is no middle ground. Listening to Pierre and Edzo say there was nothing he could do and no other choice turned feelings of deflation into rage.
That pissed me off too. There was no reason for him to be that deep in the zone. If he had stayed at the blue line it wouldn't have been a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I will say it again.

Henrique!!!!!!!!! It's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never gets old, and never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
This stings, ****ing stings. I have a hard time believing that the Frasers and vanMassenhovens of years past would have allowed a game like this. 47 - 6? Really?
I'll be very interested to see Fraser's reffing column on TSN next time, this will definitely be addressed, and I want to see if he agrees with us.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Where's Stewart? He was the best of the best. Guys who played the game at a high level make the best refs. They understand the game and don't buy what the divers try to sell.
Can't speak for him as I don't remember seeing him ref too much

Old
06-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

The Devils failed to come through at certain moments during this series. I'm not going to ignore that and say it was all on the refs that they lost. That's not the point here. But if you don't think the Devils took it in the ass from the officials last night and at other key points in this series, well you're a very forgiving person I guess. This **** doesn't sit well with me all.

Scuderi completely turned on Bernier like the ***** that he is, but you know what, I'll give the officials a pass on that call. It's a fast game and that call is probably not as easy to make when it's not being broken down frame by frame. But Scuderi ****ing turned. He knew exactly what he was doing and it payed off big time, obviously.

What I can't get passed his how Gionta was boarded just before the Scuderi incident. No call. Volch took a punch to the face during the delayed call. No call. While it was 2 - 0, Kovalchuk got hooked down and held on the ice for at least 5 seconds while the kings came the other way and iced the ****ing game all while on a powerplay. It's sickening, and this was just game 6. This same crew called Clarkson for that awful boarding call in game 4. Why are people leaving this all at the Devils feet?

The game misconducts to Carter and Clarkson were laughable, especially Clarkson's. Look, I don't care how it's spun, 47 to 6 in regards to penalty minutes is a slap in the face to a hardworking team that did everything they could to make this a series.

As it stands, I'm disgusted with this league and I have even less respect for the diving *****es that are now the champions. They're a very talented team, no question about it. But again, they play with no honor. Not when you flop all over the place like they do trying to sell calls. It's infuriating.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

5 minute major was a joke. Playing half the game on the PK was a joke.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
EliasFTW

This may have been covered already but by did Pete split Parise and Henrique on the PK for the playoffs. I never really noticed it but they were back together for a bit in game 5(?) and the PK started looking agressive again. It no coincidence that our PK sucked once they were split up and record setting when together.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

This year there have been horrendous calls and noncalls on all sides. At the end of the day, you just hope they even out and the game (or series) isn't decided by them. I think these playoffs, you saw a number of games (and series'), where the results were directly influenced by bad or missed calls.

I just hope the league reviews all the tapes and learns something from it. But I'm not optimistic about that...

Old
06-12-2012, 11:44 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Let's bring back Mick "Mr." McGeough!

No one was worse than him.

Closed Thread