HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Championship Stories from Kings Fans - What it Means to You [Merged]

Old
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
BringTheReign

vCash: 500
The Biggest Kings Fan: This Is What It's All About

http://landing.newsinc.com/ktla/vide...g&VID=23637140

I teared up watching this even before the game started, now it's just too much. I can only imagine how he feels right now.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Hearing PSP admit this is one one thing, but to no longer see that everpersistent red ball in his profile is something which... Just the words escape me right now.

There have been alot of people on this board over the years and a lot that have been here far longer than I have, I remember my early days and posters like PSP, Telos, Captain Ron, Herby and others whose names escape me at the moment, but this is for you guys! I know we haven't always seen eye to eye on every topic but CHEERS to you! The Kings are Stanley Cup Champions!?!

I realize I haven't been around much this postseason and that's more to do with me not wanting to jinx things... Plus I honestly never thought I'd see this day and here it is, so here's to everyone around these parts, to Kurrilino, to john, to everyone that's ever posted in a thread in this forum.

May we all enjoy this tonight! And tomorrow go back to trolling the hell out of each other and arguing to no end! Thank you to all you around here for keeping it fun and interesting!

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Scottkmlps

Nice job manning up. Kudos to you sir.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

I know how he feels.

I lost my voice at the game tonight. I teared up near the end, when Lewis put that empty net goal in and Greene's goal 15 seconds later, I lost it (but just briefly).

Finally. A lot of pain, heartache, and incredible disappointment was exorcised tonight.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:14 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

My favorite PSP post ever!!! All is right in the hockey world tonight

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:22 AM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Amen brother, do your thing

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Whiskeypete

it's all good today. the sun is shining a little brighter and the sky is a little more blue. everyone around here has been critical at times of what was taking place. this season was such a rollercoaster and for this to happen, well it's hard to fathom. i had my doubts and plenty of posts saying so. even my wife last night said, "i guess you have to retract your view on bitter beer face now". she is correct. i've had perma-grin going for hours now.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:19 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Yah, no matter what your opinions are regarding any move on the Kings the goal was the same. If you've pumped the team full of your hard earned money or are a college kid who watches on TV the goal was the same. If you ever thought Trent Klatt was a top 6er or Jason LaBarbera was a #1 goalie the goal was the same. So whether you were a negative Nancy, a positive Pete, a Lombartista-today we all wake up fans of the Stanley Cup Champion LA Kings. That's our new title-champions, that's how we deserved to be defined.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Captain Ron

Hey PSP I think someone hacked your account. And made a bunch of positive comments on the boards.....the ********!

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

@ PSP

It's the same thing for everyone on these boards - sometimes you're right and sometimes you're wrong, sometimes you like what's going on and sometimes you don't. None of us are the owner or general manager or coach or a player. We're on the outside looking in. All we can do is watch, read, write, talk, listen and try to understand everything the best we can and then have our own opinion. But, in the end, we all want the team to win and we're all thrilled that the Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Champions!

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:24 AM
SLang

An open note to Legionnaire

I was hoping to be able to write this post....REALLY hoping.

Hey man, I wanted to say thanks for letting me use your avatar during the playoffs. I know there were others who used as well, inspired by your fight to come back. The Kings season was sort of the same....they were counted out but they came roaring back, and achieved what seemed impossible.

I don't mean to compare your fight for survival with something like a silly championship or a sports team fanaticism, but the timing was just too much to ignore. I honestly took it as a sign.

I'm glad you're doing well, and I've changed my avatar. It's all yours again.

Scott

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Got his wish. His friend was Stoll.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Congrats Pat... a lot of decades of suffering wiped away

Where's that purple ball avatar someone made for PSP? That is GOLD.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Yay PSP! I didn't even realize it was you for a moment.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

He has an award in his hand?

Old
06-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

As I said in one of the other threads, this championship wipes away literally decades of pain for me.

I knew it as soon as we took two from Vancouver that we could actually win the Cup this year. The only time I had doubt was a little after game 4 and more after game 5...after all, I am a Kings fan that has suffered greatly.

But no more suffering, and no more pain. We are the Stanley Cup Champions and we are emphatic champions, as we rewrote the record book during this historic playoff run.

Personally, I am not given to tacky artwork in my house. But I am framing last night's towel with the two game tickets me and my son used from last night and will proudly display it in my office room in my house. I also plan to buy that 8-inch Stanley Cup L.A. Kings replica and display it near the front door (now, that is tacky!).

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:47 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
As I said in one of the other threads, this championship wipes away literally decades of pain for me.

I knew it as soon as we took two from Vancouver that we could actually win the Cup this year. The only time I had doubt was a little after game 4 and more after game 5...after all, I am a Kings fan that has suffered greatly.

But no more suffering, and no more pain. We are the Stanley Cup Champions and we are emphatic champions, as we rewrote the record book during this historic playoff run.

Personally, I am not given to tacky artwork in my house. But I am framing last night's towel with the two game tickets me and my son used from last night and will proudly display it in my office room in my house. I also plan to buy that 8-inch Stanley Cup L.A. Kings replica and display it near the front door (now, that is tacky!).
Be sure to take pictures of yourself hoisting the 8" Cup and carrying it around the house while kissing it.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
He has an award in his hand?
He is the biggest Kings fan after all

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Be sure to take pictures of yourself hoisting the 8" Cup and carrying it around the house while kissing it.
i am buying one of those. it will be set on a shelf of the bar next the 'scotch rally' bottle. i bought a bottle of glenmorangie and would pour myself a 'rally' in the 2nd period of games. last night i left nothing to chance and poured pre-game just before the start of the game -LA 3-0 at the break. poured another and LA scores more. there is one pour remaining in the bottle, which I left. tonight i tape the bottle shut and won't finish the bottle until the next time the Kings hoist the Cup. my mini Stanley Cup will rest besides the 'scotch rally' bottle.

ironically i didn't do it for games 4 and 5 as i was not at home - look what happened.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:32 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

That was my biggest worry - the seas literally parted this year for the Kings. They HAD to win it this year. Chances like these where the dominoes fall so perfectly are so rare. No Boston, no Pittsburgh, no Philadelphia, no Detroit, no San Jose... not going to be too many years where everything falls into place like it did this year. So glad they got the job done.

In my case, I've been a fan since 2001. I've had season tickets since 2003 - the first year the Kings didn't make the playoffs for the next 7 years (what great timing on my part! LOL) and you could easily argue that 2003-2009 were some of the worst Kings teams to ever take the ice. Basically a decade of sucking to finally get to the point where the team is competitive and thoroughly entertaining to watch.

The part I'm happiest about is that I know this team is built to win (and proven themselves capable of winning), and the vast majority of the team is signed long-term to cap-friendly contracts. They'll be together for many years to come.

Last edited by TonySCV: 06-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 11:47 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I've copied over relevant posts from the SC Playoffs forum thread since that'll be going away soon for archival purposes here and merged them, so several of you will see your posts from the thread on the main board here as well.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Glad he got to see it.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
johnjm22

It's hard to put into words what this means to me. It's about more than just hockey.

I remember when my dad took me to my first Kings game at The Forum 19 years ago. The Kings, and hockey, has become a big part of my life since then. To this day, every time I walk into an arena, I still get that same feeling of excitement I got as a kid.

After all the struggles this franchise has had, it's been amazing to finally see it all come together. It's proof that in life you should never give up. Hats off to Lombardi, the players, the fans who have stuck with this team through thick & thin, AEG, and everyone that's done work behind the scenes to help make this happen.

And of course an extra special thanks to the only hockey voice I ever knew for my first years as a fan:

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
niomosy

I started as a Kings fan with my uncles. My mom's family is from Toronto and moved to L.A. when they were kids/teens. Her younger brothers, the youngest in particular, got me into hockey and cheering for our local team, the Kings. That was early or mid-80's. For a while, I was just watching because it was fun. I started getting into it quickly, picking up some pucks and a stick. We'd take turns shooting the puck in the garage. Eventually they asked me if I wanted to go to a game. I was thrilled. I watched the Kings beat Toronto 3-0, I think. I had a blast. It was loads of fun.

I remember when the Kings signed Gretzky and brought in the new colors. I thought this would be it. We were building a pretty decent team and this really helped us along. When we got to the cup in '93, I thought we were likely to win. Of course, everyone knows that outcome.

It's been a long and painful time since then for Kings fans. Even this year, I did not expect much. The last two games of the season, losing out on the division title, had me thinking the Kings were back to standard form and would be an easy target in the first round. With a 4-1 win, I was dumbfounded and figured this was the wrath of the hockey gods against Vancouver. When they swept St. Louis, I was dumbfounded and amazed and now slightly optimistic. The Kings going up 3-0 in the series is what finally settled it into my head that they were probably heading to the cup.

Going up 3-0, I started to feel we were going to do it. Then games 4 and 5 hit and I became worried. Fortunately, the Kings came out strong in game 6 and won the cup. It was a joy and relief. 30 or so years of disappointment wiped away. I didn't start tearing up for a while. I was too busy watching any coverage I could find online (no cable/t.v. reception). It was only once I went to bed that I started to get a bit teary-eyed. This morning, the main local ESPN station were doing Kings celebration stuff. They talked to some Kings staff and lots of general discussion, chatting with fans, etc. It was in some of those moments that it set in and I started crying.

I'm proud of what this team has done in these playoffs. It was a great run.

niomosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
jml87

Obviously I haven't been a fan as long as a lot of you guys here. For me, I was pulled over because Richards was traded to the Kings. It was more than that though, as I was tired of rooting for a team that refused to change and hurt my favorite players in the process. I knew Richards would be a winner, but I also saw that the Kings believed in defense and goaltending.

So while it started out as kind of a bandwagon jump last year, I slowly became a LA Kings fan rather than just a fan of a specific player. Honestly, Jonathan Quick was just a treat to watch for me even when we were losing. I've always wanted to root for a goalie like him, not be holding onto my seat every time the puck bounces towards the net. I knew the Kings would win the cup with him eventually, just wasn't expecting it to be so soon.

When the Kings reached the playoffs, they embodied the team I always dreamed of. Balanced in every aspect and the personalities all meshing so well together. Guys like Mitchell and Gagne who had been waiting their whole career to lift a cup and guys like Stoll and Penner who had really tough years but bounced back when it mattered most. Seeing Brown become a great leader and for the world to finally see the talent of Quick and Kopitar. It's just been an unbelievable two and half months.

So thanks to all the Kings fans for welcoming me aboard your ship. I wish I could be there to celebrate it with you but I'm stuck on the east coast. But this team is really something special and I would've been happy with the decision I made even if the Kings had lost in the first round.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote