HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Proud of The Devils

Old
06-12-2012, 11:52 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

vCash: 500
I really wished this team had won it all too. The Devils are miles ahead of the Jets and Yankees for me. I would gladly wish no Superbowls or World Series for the rest of my lifetime if it meant the Devils would keep winning Stanley Cups.

Nothing I love more than playoff hockey.

MadDog172430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
Got to be honest...I didn't think that was too farfetched during last summer.

Salvador being expected to be a regular after missing an entire year and his previous years hadn't been all that stellar to begin with...

Zajac with a horrendous injury that typically takes 6 months to just get out of the soft cast.....

Josefson being expected to be a top 2 center out of the gate....

Parise returning to form was a complete unknown....

Fayne as regular, not knowing if his play last season was fluke and considering he tailed off a lot during the end of the season - there were major questions...

The Defense looked like it was going to be disjointed again this season with only Greene, Tallinder and Volchenkov as known commodities and who the hell knew what to expect from the rest....

The Center position at the start of the season looked worse than it ever had, the Right wing depth looked abysmal.

What this team achieved this season is miraculous. It is one of the most unlikely best seasons I've ever seen.
Well said.. I predicted we'd be out of the playoff race and would trade Parise to the Kings for Bernier and the Kings would win the Cup...Damn hate those half right predictions

Devils86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:54 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

A season with fantastic highs and very few lows. What a ride.

Work was hell today, not much sleep, but I wouldn't change that at all.

Loved this team and I honestly see no reason we can't be here again next season.

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
A season with fantastic highs and very few lows. What a ride.

Work was hell today, not much sleep, but I wouldn't change that at all.

Loved this team and I honestly see no reason we can't be here again next season.

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
Dat optimism. I admire it. I feel like **** today.

Rob Nieds work ethic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
pld459666

All BS aside, congrats on a truly amazing season.

You guys earned everything you got this year and loss and all, I would trade places with you fans right now.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
The morning after in 2001 i felt like my heart had been ripped out and put back in upside down. That team was way, way, WAY too good to blow it that year, and they did. This time around i kinda have a "aw ****, we'll get em' next time" feeling about this team. The same feeling I had after the initial shock and rage from 1994 had subsided. Or even a feeling just like the end of the Bruins series in 1988, because I really truly feel like the New Jersey Devils are on the cusp of becoming a top flight team again, instead of the fading giant we've seen since the lockout. We have several great defensive prospects in the pipe or up in Albany and I've heard nothing but positives about Scott Wedgewood. Our goaltending situation might not seem as dire as some may think should Marty hang up the pads this year or next. Adam Henrique had the looks of a generational franchise player in these playoffs, and he's a rookie! Nothing but bright futures for that kid. Adam Larsson has a year of NHL play under his belt and will only get better. He took a rough ride through this past season, but he never had the look of someone that didn't belong out there. Give him an offseason to recover from whatever obvious nagging injury he had and we might see the emergence of someone who could hold down in our top 4 for years to come.

It doesn't even feel like we are headed into a typical off season where we hemorrhage a key UFA then hand a Brian Rolston Old Guy Contract. Even with the question marks surrounding Parise and Marty possibly calling it quits I just get an overwhelming impression that things are being pulled together.

It just seems like this run happened to catch this team in some kind of transitional period, and hey, it almost worked out. Last night is gonna sting for a while, but we'll be back at it sooner then later.
Totally agree...2001 I think was the best team they had and to lose was crushing. Thats why 2003 was so great because it was unexpected. Just like this run. The 6 weeks of joy, two OT winners against Fla, Dominating the Flyers. The Carter goal in Game 5 and Henrique's live forever goal cannot be diminished by the Finals. This season and playoff run was amazing.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Silver Lining: A Special Squad

The silver lining after last season & this run is this: we have a great squad that loves to play.

All we need to do is make minor changes like bring in a depth bottom 6 forward & perhaps a solid D-man or two.

We lost in 94, only to take it all in 95. We can do that again with this special squad.

I like the depth we have. I like Poni, Carter & Bernier. I like Zidlicky, Larsson, Talinder.

We get to the dance, with a healthy squad, and we have another insanely fun spring next year with hockey in June.

A Legendary Marty, a firery Parise, adetermined & healthy Kovy. It can be magical again.

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Dat optimism. I admire it. I feel like **** today.
I really don't see why not. This team has heart out its ass. A couple solid additions and a certain Free Agent re-signing, we're back in business.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!
I share the enthusiasm.
This loss will light a fire under their ***** next season. As Marty said, you need to learn how to lose in order to learn how to win.. and it's been a great ability all season of the coaching staff and the players to feed off of losses and come out gunning their next opportunity.
I expect the same to be the case as the 2012-2013 season starts.

This season has proved that a team doesn't have to be sexy on paper. With Pete's system, if all the players buy in and the team continues to support each other up and down the ice as a 5 man unit, they can compete with anybody.
They've truly learned how to use depth players to their best abilities.

The entire team seemed to enjoy playing together and playing in this system.
We will continue to see great things come from the Devils and ultimately this is going to be a franchise that is going to become attractive to come into.

Lots to look forward to

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

The thing I'm most proud of, is even at 40, Marty continued to get better as the playoffs went on.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
I really don't see why not. This team has heart out its ass. A couple solid additions and a certain Free Agent re-signing, we're back in business.
It'll take a while, but I will work towards the attitude you have right now.

Rob Nieds work ethic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I share the enthusiasm.
This loss will light a fire under their ***** next season. As Marty said, you need to learn how to lose in order to learn how to win.. and it's been a great ability all season of the coaching staff and the players to feed off of losses and come out gunning their next opportunity.
I expect the same to be the case as the 2012-2013 season starts.

This season has proved that a team doesn't have to be sexy on paper. With Pete's system, if all the players buy in and the team continues to support each other up and down the ice as a 5 man unit, they can compete with anybody.
They've truly learned how to use depth players to their best abilities.

The entire team seemed to enjoy playing together and playing in this system.
We will continue to see great things come from the Devils and ultimately this is going to be a franchise that is going to become attractive to come into.

Lots to look forward to
Also thing players are going to want to play in PDB system
, the forcheck and how he rolls 4 lines. The devils are going to become a very attractive place for players to play under PDB.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
The thing I'm most proud of, is even at 40, Marty continued to get better as the playoffs went on.
That was pretty amazing. It was a Conn Smythe effort for sure!

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
haakon84

To think we have a top defenseman and a clutch performer emerging over the next couple of years. Not to mention probably the most dynamic sniper in the league.

We have a lot to look forward to and a lot to be proud of!

haakon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
haakon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
No doubt he is the GOAT for me. His consistency throughout his career is astonishing and all the historians will surely wake up to it when it is all over. I see no reason he won't be there next year taking on a Hasek-like workload. I have never seen a more gifted athlete who helped build a team and remain loyal to his fans. Truly the greatest of all-time.

haakon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think it'll be 2-3 years before they can do this again. It takes a lot of luck and teams that go on deep runs tend to get worn out the season after unless they are very young or if new personnel take over. But it's possible, never saw this run coming .

The only thing I do not like at all about Petey's system is their inzone coverage. It is so unorganized and half the time players don't even know who is supposed to be where. How often do we see a guy wide open on the off side or floating into the slot because no one picked him up?

Credit to Sutter for having a forechecking system and a great D. That really did wonders for them. If Pete can get a D system in place, I'll be 8x more confident than right now.

Odd man rushes and stuff are a symptom of his D pinching so I can live with that. Hopefully the goalie of the future can as well.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

I think we see a better Larsson & a better Henrique. Even a better Marty next year.

Great group of spring chicken rookies with fresh legs!

Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

This team was down in every series, and fought back in every one of them. They came up in short in the end and lost to a great Kings team. I will be forever grateful for these last two seasons. This Devils team got the organization back to where it belonged and it was great being a part of this run.

And the kind words from opposing fans is always appreciated

Fayne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon84 View Post
To think we have a top defenseman and a clutch performer emerging over the next couple of years. Not to mention probably the most dynamic sniper in the league.

We have a lot to look forward to and a lot to be proud of!
Plus alot of yound D talent. Larrson, Merril,Urbom,Gelinis,Burlon...all 5 should be solid NHL players.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Kings fan here in peace. The Devils were far and away the best team the Kings played.

You guys will be back in the SCF very soon.

Henrique is a ****ing beast. He'll win the Calder.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Credit to Sutter for having a forechecking system and a great D. That really did wonders for them. If Pete can get a D system in place, I'll be 8x more confident than right now.
I won't ignore the other reasons you stated, but surely this isn't serious?

Sutter's system got them bounced in the first round twice and has done nothing for Calgary.

DeBoer is a far superior coach and it's not even close, imo.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I think it'll be 2-3 years before they can do this again. It takes a lot of luck and teams that go on deep runs tend to get worn out the season after unless they are very young or if new personnel take over. But it's possible, never saw this run coming .

The only thing I do not like at all about Petey's system is their inzone coverage. It is so unorganized and half the time players don't even know who is supposed to be where. How often do we see a guy wide open on the off side or floating into the slot because no one picked him up?

Odd man rushes and stuff are a symptom of his D pinching so I can live with that. Hopefully the goalie of the future can as well.
Some of that is a symptom of how PDB changed the way we play compared to how we always did. Think some of this will correct itself as the players will be more comfortable in year 2 of Pete's system

Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
As a division rival fan, I have to admit how much respect i have for the Devils. Gotta love your team, coach, and the individual players. Guys like Kovy showed so much heart. Marty, Parise, and gang just really laid their heart out there. I enjoyed every minute of the series and loved the battle level the Devils showed.

Lots of respect from all the Pens fan base. You guys had one hell of a season. Now re-sign Parise and get right back to the Finals next year. Send Marty out the way it should be (Just don't beat the Pens along the way!).

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

I still am without words to describe Game 6

However, when the pain subsides what is left is one of the most incredible runs in this teams history, championship or no.

From Lottery to Eastern Conference Champions in one season, defeating our own demons along the way.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And we have another Scott coming soon.
At least there's no "Gomez" on the horizon.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote