HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Malone

Old
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Ryan Malone

Malone has 3 years left @ a $4.5 mil cap hit. But his actual money he earns is less ($3 mill, $2.5, $2.5)

Given that Tampa needs some help on defense, how would these offers work:

Malone to LA for Martinez/Hickey/Muzzin

- Malone will step in for Gagne who might retire and/or Penner who may or may not be back. The defenseman going to Tampa can step right in and play.

Malone to Pittsburgh for Paul Martin

- Higher cap hit going to Tampa but they get a proven defenseman who can eat up minutes. Pittsburgh gets a solid winger for Crosby/Malkin who's played there before.

Malone to Nashville for Blum/Ellis

- With Kostitsyn(s) potentially out of Nashville as well as Radulov, Nashville get Top 6 help and cheap. Blum/Ellis are both ready to play.

EDIT: meant to make it 'other' not 'speculation'. Sorry.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

vCash: 500
I would say Toronto but if memory serves me right he has already nicked a trade that would bring him here before. Shame too he would bring a much needed big body to our team.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Malone has 3 years left @ a $4.5 mil cap hit. But his actual money he earns is less ($3 mill, $2.5, $2.5)

- Malone will step in for Gagne who might retire and/or Penner who may or may not be back. The defenseman going to Tampa can step right in and play.

- Higher cap hit going to Tampa but they get a proven defenseman who can eat up minutes. Pittsburgh gets a solid winger for Crosby/Malkin who's played there before.

- With Kostitsyn(s) potentially out of Nashville as well as Radulov, Nashville get Top 6 help and cheap. Blum/Ellis are both ready to play.

Any chance you could work something around Torey Krug and a low pick?

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I would absoutely love Ryan Malone in Nashville. Good role model for Colin Wilson.

Blum/Ellis is a steep price to pay. If, and only if, Suter and Weber both re-sign long term, I'll probably do it. I hate how old he is though.....

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Any chance you could work something around Torey Krug and a low pick?
haha not a Tampa fan, just trying to fix two things at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Blum/Ellis is a steep price to pay. If, and only if, Suter and Weber both re-sign long term, I'll probably do it. I hate how old he is though.....
yeah that was the one drawback I saw. If Suter leaves you're left with Josi, Ellis, Blum, Weber, Klein and whatever other jewel Nashville has hidden overseas or in the minors. Can't mortgage top 4 like that without having some idea going forward

Old
06-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:

If there was any truth to last summer's rumors, he nixed a trade to both LA and Toronto. I have no idea if there was any accuracy to that at all. I wouldn't mind the Nashville trade at all, but would Malone waive the NMC to go there?

I'm sure he would waive to go back to Pittsburgh, not sure I would want Martin in exchange. We need D in Tampa, but IIRC, Penguins fans were less than happy with Martin this past season. Can't see how he would be any better at all with the Lightning.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
haha not a Tampa fan, just trying to fix two things at once.

yeah that was the one drawback I saw. If Suter leaves you're left with Josi, Ellis, Blum, Weber, Klein and whatever other jewel Nashville has hidden overseas or in the minors. Can't mortgage top 4 like that without having some idea going forward
Ekholm is the "other jewel" for sure. He'll be a top 4 dman in a year or two IMO.

Exactly. Currently our D (if Suter leaves) looks like...

Weber-Josi
Klein-Blum
Ellis-Ekholm

That's a sophomore on our first pairing at THREE rookies in our top 6. Forget injury insurance. 4 defenseman with less than 2 years of NHL experience.

We're hoping for a UFA signing (Wideman, Carle, Salvador, whatever)

Weber-Josi
Klein-UFA
Blum/Ellis-Ekholm
Ellis/Blum

This only can happen if Suter signs. Otherwise not deal.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:

The only offer that is even decent is the Nashville one for Ellis. Muzzin/Hickey aren't better than what we already have, Malone is more valuable than Martinez and he's already said no to LA. Martin would be a welcome addition but not for Malone, we can just sign Wideman if we want. Ellis would be s good edition as he's a young puck mover. Blum has regressed some but wouldnt mind him or Josi just think another deal for them would be better. Malone has a NTC and said he loves Tsmpa so doubt he goes anywhere.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
The only offer that is even decent is the Nashville one for Ellis. Muzzin/Hickey aren't better than what we already have, Malone is more valuable than Martinez and he's already said no to LA. Martin would be a welcome addition but not for Malone, we can just sign Wideman if we want. Ellis would be s good edition as he's a young puck mover. Blum has regressed some but wouldnt mind him or Josi just think another deal for them would be better. Malone has a NTC and said he loves Tsmpa so doubt he goes anywhere.
Blum is more of a puck-mover, but Ellis can play that role too. As for Josi, completely off-limits for Malone. He was, without a doubt, our 3rd best Dman last year.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Malone for Martin? Done!

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Malone - Malkin - Neal

SterlingBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
Malone for Martin? Done!

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Malone - Malkin - Neal
Well that's pretty definitive

Tampa Bay says no!

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
SterlingBennett
Duchess Of Wingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Well that's pretty definitive

Tampa Bay says no!
That was one of the offers by the OP, I'd do it just because even with his injuries I want Malone to come home. Chop 500k off the cap with the trade, Malone will probably be energized to play his 100% hardest again back in his home town.

Martin is a good dman that just isn't working in the system in Pittsburgh and gets a fresh chance with a team that with some roster moves could be a playoff team fairly easily.

Everyone wins. Add a pick or a farm player to each side to further balance if needed but I like the deal all around.

SterlingBennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
not sure I would want Martin in exchange. We need D in Tampa, but IIRC, Penguins fans were less than happy with Martin this past season. Can't see how he would be any better at all with the Lightning.
I think he's had a rough transition in Bylsma's system. If you put him anywhere else, he'd probably revert to his old self and be just fine. Just my opinion though...

Quote:
Martin would be a welcome addition but not for Malone, we can just sign Wideman if we want.
I like Martin a lot more than Wideman, but again, that's just me lol

Old
06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Lydman+2012 2nd

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
That was one of the offers by the OP, I'd do it just because even with his injuries I want Malone to come home. Chop 500k off the cap with the trade, Malone will probably be energized to play his 100% hardest again back in his home town.

Martin is a good dman that just isn't working in the system in Pittsburgh and gets a fresh chance with a team that with some roster moves could be a playoff team fairly easily.

Everyone wins. Add a pick or a farm player to each side to further balance if needed but I like the deal all around.
If you add a 2nd and we add a 6th than maybe everyone wins. We have no need to move Malone and seems everyone wants Martin out of Pitt.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Blitz
Ei-kill for Eichel..

To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)
2012 2nd RND pick [#37 via MIN/SJ]

Sabres get a big-bodied winger to play w/ Hodgson & Pommer, as well as a solid 2nd RND pick.

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
C/LW Luke Adam ($875K RFA)
2012 3rd RND pick

Bolts get a likely top-2, shutdown d-man with some scoring upside to play with Hedman or Brewer, and a big, young C/W with good upside who has seemingly been passed over by Foligno & Tropp.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Blitz: 06-12-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
If you add a 2nd and we add a 6th than maybe everyone wins. We have no need to move Malone and seems everyone wants Martin out of Pitt.
If we are dealing Malone, it would be to get rid of the cap hit. The Nashville and LA deals look attractive in that respect.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:46 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
The only offer that is even decent is the Nashville one for Ellis...Martin would be a welcome addition but not for Malone, we can just sign Wideman if we want.
The Martin deal is very fair, IMO, given the similar cap hits, terms and ages and Pittsburgh is the one team that Malone would probably give serious consideration to accepting a trade to (unlike L.A. or Nashville). Also, Wideman isn't at Yzerman's beck and call; he could re-sign with Washington or sign elsewhere come July 1.

Quote:
Malone has a NTC and said he loves Tsmpa so doubt he goes anywhere.
He actually has a NMC until it modifies to a NTC next summer, but, yes, I think it's likely he sticks in Tampa for these final three seasons on his deal.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Plenty of good proposals in this thread.

I'd prefer the Sekera or Martin trades, although I am fine with all of the ones posted so far(some might need minor adjustments).

I really like Malone, I'd rather not see him traded, but it's no secret tampa needs D. Getting him to waive his NTC might be an issue though...

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

IIRC I heard that Malone regrets leaving PIT and would def waive his NMC to return. Malone for Martin is about as fair of a deal as you're gonna find when you consider team needs, age and contracts.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:24 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)

Sabres get a big-bodied winger to play w/ Hodgson & Pommer, as well as a solid 2nd RND pick.

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 3rd RND pick

Bolts get a likely top-2, shutdown d-man with some scoring upside to play with Hedman or Brewer, and a big, young C/W with good upside who has seemingly been passed over by Foligno & Tropp.

Thoughts?
I really like this deal.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:36 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
To

LW Ryan Malone ($4.5M)

To

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 3rd RND pick

Thoughts?
Besides the Nashville trade (BTW what do we need to add to Malone to pry Josi from your cold dead hands?), this trade is the one I like the most. Not sure how Malone would feel about going to Buffalo though. Not sure if anyone even considered Buffalo being a fit for Malone. Good trade sir (madam depending if you are in fact of the female sex).

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Besides the Nashville trade (BTW what do we need to add to Malone to pry Josi from your cold dead hands?)
If Suter leaves (80% likely), Josi is on our first D pairing, and we have no depth to sustain his loss. The only way I would trade him are in deals involving Stamkos, Hedman, Vinny. Obviously Tampa wont do that, as they shouldnt, but it would take that massive of an overpayment. I would put Marty on that list, be he is getting old and doesn't fit our needs right now. Love to have him, but not for Josi.

Like I said, I know Tampa won't give up any of those three, but Josi just isn't availble. All I can think of at this point is Malone+Connoly, but even then, our defense is severly crippled. Value wise, Nashville wins, but it leaves our D too weak (assuming Suter leaves)

Old
06-12-2012, 02:48 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
If Suter leaves (80% likely), Josi is on our first D pairing, and we have no depth to sustain his loss. The only way I would trade him are in deals involving Stamkos, Hedman, Vinny. Obviously Tampa wont do that, as they shouldnt, but it would take that massive of an overpayment. I would put Marty on that list, be he is getting old and doesn't fit our needs right now. Love to have him, but not for Josi.

Like I said, I know Tampa won't give up any of those three, but Josi just isn't availble. All I can think of at this point is Malone+Connoly, but even then, our defense is severly crippled. Value wise, Nashville wins, but it leaves our D too weak (assuming Suter leaves)
How about Malone + Gudas + Minny's Second for Josi + 3rd (if you have one)

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
If we are dealing Malone, it would be to get rid of the cap hit. The Nashville and LA deals look attractive in that respect.
We don't have cap issues so we aren't in a cap dump mode. I said earlier the Nashville deal was the best from the OP, what's good about the LA deal? Hickey is a bust, Muzzin isn't any better than Mikk and could probably be had for a 2nd/3rd, Martinez is good but not for Malone. The Buffalo deal is a good one but I doubt Malone would waive, we also would have a big hole in our top 6 and lose are only size and grit.