HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burrows & Edler

Old
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I would like to see Burrows retire a Canuck.

How about a 10 yr $27M contract paying

6 5 4 3 3 2 1 1 1 1

It will reward him for his sacrifice to date, which will command a lot of respect for Gillis and the Canucks by other players on how they treat him, and will give him the bulk of the money when he is still playing upper level hockey. A cap hit of $2.7 / yr is not bad at all.
I think that would get rejected by the NHL.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:44 PM
MikeK

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I would like to see Burrows retire a Canuck.

How about a 10 yr $27M contract paying

6 5 4 3 3 2 1 1 1 1

It will reward him for his sacrifice to date, which will command a lot of respect for Gillis and the Canucks by other players on how they treat him, and will give him the bulk of the money when he is still playing upper level hockey. A cap hit of $2.7 / yr is not bad at all.
I doubt the league would allow such an obvious cap circumvention type deal and I doubt the Canucks are so willing to sign a 33yr old forward, which is how old he'll be when the deal kicks in, to a 10 year deal based on what he's done for the team to date. You don't stay at the top by trying to "look good" in the eyes of other players by signing guys to ridiculous contracts just to say thanks.

It's a nice idea for Burrows but not very realistic.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Gillis has a history of letting contracts run out before renegotiating. I'll be surprised if either of these guys gets re-signed before this time next year.
Uh, what?

Alexander Edler - Extended October 10, 2008 (deal set to expire July 1, 2009)
Alexandre Burrows - Extended March 3, 2009 (deal set to expire July 1, 2009)
Roberto Luongo - Extended September 2, 2009 (deal set to expire July 1, 2010)
Ryan Kesler - Extended March 19, 2010 (deal set to expire July 1, 2010)

Several core guys who were extended well ahead of their contract expiry dates.

Burrows is a guy who needs to be retained. Bleeds Canuck colours, fits the team (both offensively and defensively) like a glove, and has scored virtually every big goal for this team in his tenure here. Hugely underrated around the league and (IMO) one of its best bargains at $2m. Due for a big raise and deserves it, too. I will be hugely choked if Gillis doesn't retain him.

I'd sign Burrows to a 5 or 6 year deal with an AAV of $4.5m - $5.5m per year.

EDIT: With respect to Edler, I agree with some of the people wanting to wait and see how things unfold with Shea Weber. Whether or not Nashville is interested in dealing with us, I think Gillis sees Weber as a big target and Edler could be a big chip towards that end. I also don't know that Edler will ever truly reach the level of consistency required to be a "No. 1 guy", and his next contract will undoubtedly pay him as one.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Got a feeling Burrows wont be here by the trade deadline tbo.
why not? He can play any role on the team, he is arguably our best crunch time player, plus he isn't very selfish with his money. He will retire here as a Canuck.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Burrows is a guy who needs to be retained. Bleeds Canuck colours, fits the team (both offensively and defensively) like a glove, and has scored virtually every big goal for this team in his tenure here. Hugely underrated around the league and (IMO) one of its best bargains at $2m. Due for a big raise and deserves it, too. I will be hugely choked if Gillis doesn't retain him.

I'd sign Burrows to a 5 or 6 year deal with an AAV of $4.5m - $5.5m per year.
As much as I love Burr, not that much. I'd say anywhere from 2.5M-4M max.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Barney Gumble

Suffice to say, there is no "blueprint" that Gillis follows with respect to re-upping players.

Sometimes he waits until seemingly the last moment; other times to gets it done well beforehand.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggum View Post
why not?
Quote:
I'd say anywhere from 2.5M-4M max.
This is why not.

He'll get at least 4 million on a 4-5 year deal and I don't see Gillis giving him that.

He took a discount once, this next contract could be his last. He's a hockey player, not a philanthropist.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
MikeK

vCash: 145
Quote:
Agreed. If Burrows would sign for around the $3M mark then great... but something tells me he's going to want to hit a homerun with this being his last real good contract. I know it pains Vancouver fans to admit it but there is a real possibility that Burrows isn't re-signed or is traded.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Unless Burrows is incredibly, incredibly charitable (and he may well be, even at the time, that $2m deal was a ludicrously low amount that raised the eyebrows of other players, agents and media alike) that is just not going to happen. Look at the market for plain and simple 20-goal scorers - David Jones is a one-dimensional guy who barely cracked 20 this year, and he just got a 4 year deal at $4m. In addition to contributing 25-30 goals consistently for the last four years, Burrows is an elite-level defensive player who has a knack for scoring huge goals while also being one of the most versatile guys on the team.

Again - unless Burrows gives the Canucks a wackadoo crazy low contract (in which case I'd be doing cartwheels), those figures are just unrealistic. The market dictates his price realistically speaking, and I'd like the Canucks to match that. Bieksa got $4.6m AAV, Kesler got $5m AAV, I think an offer somewhere in that wheel house is what it will take. And I would happily take it.

If the Canucks let Burrows walk, I will be just as crushed as the day we traded Trevor Linden.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Uh, what?

Alexander Edler - Extended October 10, 2008 (deal set to expire July 1, 2009)
Alexandre Burrows - Extended March 3, 2009 (deal set to expire July 1, 2009)
Roberto Luongo - Extended September 2, 2009 (deal set to expire July 1, 2010)
Ryan Kesler - Extended March 19, 2010 (deal set to expire July 1, 2010)

Several core guys who were extended well ahead of their contract expiry dates.
Edler was extended by the previous regime. Roberto is the only guy that Gillis has extended a season early and that's probably the deal he regrets most.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:12 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Unless Burrows is incredibly, incredibly charitable (and he may well be, even at the time, that $2m deal was a ludicrously low amount that raised the eyebrows of other players, agents and media alike) that is just not going to happen. Look at the market for plain and simple 20-goal scorers - David Jones is a one-dimensional guy who barely cracked 20 this year, and he just got a 4 year deal at $4m. In addition to contributing 25-30 goals consistently for the last four years, Burrows is an elite-level defensive player who has a knack for scoring huge goals while also being one of the most versatile guys on the team.

Again - unless Burrows gives the Canucks a wackadoo crazy low contract (in which case I'd be doing cartwheels), those figures are just unrealistic. The market dictates his price realistically speaking, and I'd like the Canucks to match that. Bieksa got $4.6m AAV, Kesler got $5m AAV, I think an offer somewhere in that wheel house is what it will take. And I would happily take it.

If the Canucks let Burrows walk, I will be just as crushed as the day we traded Trevor Linden.
This.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Edler was extended by the previous regime. Roberto is the only guy that Gillis has extended a season early and that's probably the deal he regrets most.
I have a suspicion ownership played a role in that particular deal.

It's actually a good contract, despite what others say.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

Quote:

I agree, Jones shouldn't have got 4M. Burrows is the heart and soul of this team, but it just seems really high to give him 5.5M a year. I'd be fine with 4.5M but once we're cracking 5M it just seems like too much to be honest.

But yes, Burrows is arguably my favorite Canuck all-time. I would scream and throw a fit if GMMG released him or traded him away.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
No it wasn't. It was done by this regime.

Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, who negotiated the deal, said the contract was done about two weeks after the team first told Edler’s agent Mark Stowe that it wanted to extend his client.

Source:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...6-6c143aa6fb75

Old
06-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Yep, it would be right up there.

It was hard to see Ohlund go too. But that was a different circumstance, we needed him for a playoff run and hung on to him; eventually losing him for nothing.

I don't see Gillis paying Burrows anywhere near what he deserves and I don't see him letting him walk for nothing either.

Burrows always could just sign a 1 or 2 year deal worth 4 million but that would be pretty risky on his part.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Agreed. If Burrows would sign for around the $3M mark then great... but something tells me he's going to want to hit a homerun with this being his last real good contract. I know it pains Vancouver fans to admit it but there is a real possibility that Burrows isn't re-signed or is traded.
3.5M - 4M would be a hometown discount. If he ups at that rate, for 3-4 years, I'd take it.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
As has been pointed out, Edler was extended by Gillis. Gillis was hired prior to the 2008 draft, and Edler was extended in October of that year.

Quote:
I agree, Jones shouldn't have got 4M. Burrows is the heart and soul of this team, but it just seems really high to give him 5.5M a year. I'd be fine with 4.5M but once we're cracking 5M it just seems like too much to be honest.

But yes, Burrows is arguably my favorite Canuck all-time. I would scream and throw a fit if GMMG released him or traded him away.
The market increases salaries all the time. A few years ago, David Jones would have been worth about $2.5m per year, now he's worth $4m per year. It will look strange when compared to the salaries of guys like the Twins @ 6.1, Kesler @ 5 and Bieksa and Hamhuis @ 4.6 and 4.5, but when you take into account that the maximum annual salary a player can get next year under the current CBA will be about $14m, $5m~ seems like a very fair price for a 25-30 goal player who gives 100% each night and is elite-level defensively.

Old
arsmaster

term and a no trade clause will keep the aav down...

This players needs to retire a Canuck.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dave babych returns

I'd give Burrows the money he deserves and I'd give him the term he wants, but not both on the same deal - unless the next CBA sees the cap ceiling continue to rise in leaps and bounds.

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
No it wasn't. It was done by this regime.

Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman, who negotiated the deal, said the contract was done about two weeks after the team first told Edlerís agent Mark Stowe that it wanted to extend his client.

Source:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...6-6c143aa6fb75
OK. So he's extended two guys a season early in his time here, my bad.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
KISSland

Cant believe people here are willing to write off Burrows. There's no way Gillis let's him go. He will retire a Canuck. I think he will sign 4.2m for 4 years will put him to 35.

He does it all. And his production is on par for a top 6 player.

There's just no way he gets traded.

Edler on the other hand could go if they decide to go after Weber.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Scurr

Quote:
The market increases salaries all the time. A few years ago, David Jones would have been worth about $2.5m per year, now he's worth $4m per year. It will look strange when compared to the salaries of guys like the Twins @ 6.1, Kesler @ 5 and Bieksa and Hamhuis @ 4.6 and 4.5, but when you take into account that the maximum annual salary a player can get next year under the current CBA will be about $14m, $5m~ seems like a very fair price for a 25-30 goal player who gives 100% each night and is elite-level defensively.
Just because the Av's had to throw 4m at David Jones to keep him doesn't mean that is what he's worth. Paying 5m to Burrows would be insane.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
OK. So he's extended two guys a season early in his time here, my bad.
I'd also give him credit for re-signing Kesler before he had that explosive playoff series and could have easily commanded 5.5 - 5.75 after the playoffs.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I'd also give him credit for re-signing Kesler before he had that explosive playoff series and could have easily commanded 5.5 - 5.75 after the playoffs.
Which explosive playoff series is that? Kesler signed his deal after producing with Mats for half a season iirc. I think some people thought Gillis gave him too much based on what he had done to that point.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
term and a no trade clause will keep the aav down...

This players needs to retire a Canuck.
Agreed.

If we can get him locked up for 4 years with an AAV of $4M I would do it. NMC along with it.

I would extend it to 6 years with a NTC if we could get the cap hit below $4M, but I doubt that's likely.