HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wasn't sure how I felt about the Kings run but now I'm ecstatic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 12:12 PM
  #51
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Fun Lupul tweet:


Sounds like a bitter ex
It was a great opportunity to take a shot at the Flyers, and standing up for ex-teammates who took a mountain of crap from the team, the fans, and most of all, the media.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
  #52
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
It was a great opportunity to take a shot at the Flyers, and standing up for ex-teammates who took a mountain of crap from the team, the fans, and most of all, the media.
Also a great opportunity to look at the Maple Leafs' success this year.

Whatever it is, opinions like that, while having a place in the universe are unnecessary...

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
  #53
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Also a great opportunity to look at the Maple Leafs' success this year.

Whatever it is, opinions like that, while having a place in the universe are unnecessary...
As unnecessary as calling Carter lazy and a choker because he couldn't play like an all-star on broken feet?

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
  #54
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
As unnecessary as calling Carter lazy and a choker because he couldn't play like an all-star on broken feet?
From who? Me?

Fans don't have to filter their thoughts. Everyone is entitled to opinions. But, as a fan no one but a few twitter followers and maybe some forum posters see my opinion. As a pro athlete who used to play for our organization, he is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but should he put it on the internet?

No. If you believe otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. Learning when to share opinions as a public figure is part of the job.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:29 PM
  #55
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
As unnecessary as calling Carter lazy and a choker because he couldn't play like an all-star on broken feet?
I know I was one of the people that said the above many times.

Hit me like a ton of bricks this playoffs that you don't know what you have until it's not here anymore.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
  #56
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
From who? Me?

Fans don't have to filter their thoughts. Everyone is entitled to opinions. But, as a fan no one but a few twitter followers and maybe some forum posters see my opinion. As a pro athlete who used to play for our organization, he is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but should he put it on the internet?

No. If you believe otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. Learning when to share opinions as a public figure is part of the job.
What's the big deal? He doesn't play for Philly. He's a Toronto player. He can say what he wants. He has every right to do so. If he started tweeting about how Toronto sucks then that would be stupid.

Also, no, not from you specifically (regarding lazy/choke), but there is a contingent of fans who believe that.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
  #57
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
What's the big deal? He doesn't play for Philly. He's a Toronto player. He can say what he wants. He has every right to do so. If he started tweeting about how Toronto sucks then that would be stupid.

Also, no, not from you specifically (regarding lazy/choke), but there is a contingent of fans who believe that.
Yeah, I was never a Carter fan. I mean, at least he finally made that SCF game 6 goal he owed us from 2010 lol

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
  #58
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
When you figure out why they were traded, explain it to me, would ya? Because it blows. It sucked the day it happened, and it still does. The heart of the Flyers was yanked out one day last June, and shipped out west. He brought a winning mentality and a 'leave it all on the ice' approach to the game to a young team that saw how he played and applied it to their games. Both he and Carter were instrumental in LA's Cup run - not only for what they did on the ice, but the attitude needed and the experience of going through it before.

If the Flyers win the Cup in the next year or two, this won't hurt so badly. I'm not holding my breath - there are still a lot of pieces that need to be put in place, and Bryz has to not suck, before the Flyers can come close to winning.

The Kings (and a few recent other Cup winners) put a core group of young players together and had the patience to go through growing pains with them. When the time was right, they tweaked their roster slightly, adding veterans where necessary and team first players that fit into their team identity. And they won. The Flyers have never shown that patience and we're a long way away from it today.
Lol...LA already had plenty of this attitude from their Captain and Kopitar. Richards and carter are nice pieces, but LA was already positioned to be a contender without them.

Just like Carter and Richards are not airing the dirty laundry about PHI, our management won't Air it about the true reasons they were moved, but it's pretty easy to read between the lines to see why they are gone.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:54 PM
  #59
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
From who? Me?

Fans don't have to filter their thoughts. Everyone is entitled to opinions. But, as a fan no one but a few twitter followers and maybe some forum posters see my opinion. As a pro athlete who used to play for our organization, he is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but should he put it on the internet?

No. If you believe otherwise, I don't know what to tell you. Learning when to share opinions as a public figure is part of the job.
I disagree. During the Cup finals, Lupul was watching as a fan, not a member of the Leafs or any other NHL club. He commented on two friends of his, who just won the greatest prize in professional sports.

Do you also feel that Lappy has no right to comment on the Kings during their playoff run? He certainly did.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  #60
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Lol...LA already had plenty of this attitude from their Captain and Kopitar. Richards and carter are nice pieces, but LA was already positioned to be a contender without them.
Then why has LA not gone past the first round in previous playoffs?

Keep telling yourself the Flyers are better off right now with the trades. Keep telling yourself, and maybe you'll get someone else to believe it too.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
  #61
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 39,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Lol...LA already had plenty of this attitude from their Captain and Kopitar. Richards and carter are nice pieces, but LA was already positioned to be a contender without them.
Actually, no. LA wasn't considered a contender until they got Richards.

Quote:
Just like Carter and Richards are not airing the dirty laundry about PHI, our management won't Air it about the true reasons they were moved, but it's pretty easy to read between the lines to see why they are gone.

Or maybe the "dirty laundry" is completely overblown.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:06 PM
  #62
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I disagree. During the Cup finals, Lupul was watching as a fan, not a member of the Leafs or any other NHL club. He commented on two friends of his, who just won the greatest prize in professional sports.

Do you also feel that Lappy has no right to comment on the Kings during their playoff run? He certainly did.
He should undoubtedly root for his friends and want to see them succeed but when you add "Sorry Philly" to the end, and you're not one of a million random fans - you have a face, a jersey and a city that you play for - well he could have as easily shared his sentiment and left the Philly angle out of it.

If nothing else, why rush onto twitter to share something like that if not to jab philly? If it's to support your friends, you don't need it.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  #63
Schenn10
Registered User
 
Schenn10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Then why has LA not gone past the first round in previous playoffs?

Keep telling yourself the Flyers are better off right now with the trades. Keep telling yourself, and maybe you'll get someone else to believe it too.
I believe if you reverse those trades and we keep Richards and Carter, and without Chris Pronger, we lose to the Penguins in the 1st round of the playoffs. Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, and Simmonds were incredible in that series.

The Flyers have a bright future in front of them.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:25 PM
  #64
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Keep telling yourself the Flyers are better off right now with the trades. Keep telling yourself, and maybe you'll get someone else to believe it too.
I tell myself every day that the Flyers are better off with the trades they made. I know some won't like it, but the Flyers were more than just Richards and Carter away from being Stanley Cup contenders. This was (and still is) a team that has several glaring holes to fill. Trading Richards and Carter certainly helped fill some of those holes (even though there's still more to fill).

On top of it, you also know that there were definitely issues that won't be mentioned as to why Richards and Carter needed to be moved. You don't move "franchise" players into long term deals unless something behind the scenes is really wrong.

Finally, Los Angeles had all the pieces in place to make a long run. Even before Carter and Richards, there was adequate depth amongst the forwards, the defense was superb, the goaltending performed the way it should and most important, everyone had a role assigned to them and they knew how to play their role to the best of their abilities.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm glad Richards and Carter got their names on the Cup. I don't think anyone here can deny the impact they had on the franchise and they certainly helped put their mark on the club. However, people need to stop pining for them. The Flyers strapped their fortunes to Giroux and JVR and while Giroux delivered on his performance, JVR didn't and that's what's making the trades look "bad" (and those weren't bad trades at all).

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:29 PM
  #65
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Then why has LA not gone past the first round in previous playoffs?

Keep telling yourself the Flyers are better off right now with the trades. Keep telling yourself, and maybe you'll get someone else to believe it too.
oddly enough this la team will probably be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year, they played awsome all playoffs good on them but this is not an 82 game team. Good on richards and carter, but as a flyers fan face reality, we werent winning with them on thsi team and they were the leaders, after watching anahiem win with getzlaf and perry, the losing to chicago with kane and toews then losing to boston with their core it was time for a change. ricahrds is a great addition and carter is a good 2-3 winger. when these two start spreading their love around the la room we will see this team at its finest, and i bet brown is first to go.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
  #66
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I tell myself every day that the Flyers are better off with the trades they made. I know some won't like it, but the Flyers were more than just Richards and Carter away from being Stanley Cup contenders. This was (and still is) a team that has several glaring holes to fill. Trading Richards and Carter certainly helped fill some of those holes (even though there's still more to fill).

On top of it, you also know that there were definitely issues that won't be mentioned as to why Richards and Carter needed to be moved. You don't move "franchise" players into long term deals unless something behind the scenes is really wrong.

Finally, Los Angeles had all the pieces in place to make a long run. Even before Carter and Richards, there was adequate depth amongst the forwards, the defense was superb, the goaltending performed the way it should and most important, everyone had a role assigned to them and they knew how to play their role to the best of their abilities.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm glad Richards and Carter got their names on the Cup. I don't think anyone here can deny the impact they had on the franchise and they certainly helped put their mark on the club. However, people need to stop pining for them. The Flyers strapped their fortunes to Giroux and JVR and while Giroux delivered on his performance, JVR didn't and that's what's making the trades look "bad" (and those weren't bad trades at all).
Truth...

Everyone has buyer's remorse right now. Keeping Richards and Carter wouldn't have changed much this year and as a Bryz fan (so saying this is hard to admit), the peice that would have made the difference here that the Kings had was Quick.

But, even with Quick I am not sure our fate would have been all that different this year. Our bad defensive play and inability to adapt to a system (as with the Devils) are not things a goalie can change.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
  #67
kicksave27
Registered User
 
kicksave27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
But, even with Quick I am not sure our fate would have been all that different this year. Our bad defensive play and inability to adapt to a system (as with the Devils) are not things a goalie can change.
Watching the kings beat the devils forcheck with short simple passes, D to C at the circles, to wing at the boards was just poetry compared to the reverse it or just send it up the boards policy the flyers breakout was. It was checkers vs chess out there and the flyers were playing checkers.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
  #68
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
oddly enough this la team will probably be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year, they played awsome all playoffs good on them but this is not an 82 game team.
I don't know what this means.

Quote:
Good on richards and carter, but as a flyers fan face reality, we werent winning with them on thsi team and they were the leaders, after watching anahiem win with getzlaf and perry, the losing to chicago with kane and toews then losing to boston with their core it was time for a change. ricahrds is a great addition and carter is a good 2-3 winger. when these two start spreading their love around the la room we will see this team at its finest, and i bet brown is first to go.
What you're saying is that Getzlaf/Perry and Kane/Toews are oodles better than Richards/Carter? That's your opinion. What I see is only one of those duos being in the Cup finals more than once. But I'm sure that was an accident. Richards and Carter didn't have anything to do with that, right?

You've done nothing but throw **** at Richards and Carter, trying to mask ******** with "facts". It's clear what you're trying to say. Perhaps you can explain how these two cancers had the entire team working together a few years ago. But maybe that was an accident too.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
  #69
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I believe if you reverse those trades and we keep Richards and Carter, and without Chris Pronger, we lose to the Penguins in the 1st round of the playoffs. Couturier, Schenn, Voracek, and Simmonds were incredible in that series.

The Flyers have a bright future in front of them.
all this proves is that the trades finally helped us beat the penguins on a consistent basis.

this team is well suited for run-and-gun hockey. they might even be the best in the league at it, but that's not what wins championships. defensively we took a huge step back in dealing richards and carter. giroux will continue to develop into a two-way forward but he's not quite there yet. read and couturier showed insane promise this year, but they were just rookies. we're just gonna have to be patient, something philadelphia's sports fans are not known for.

if you honestly believe that richards and carter were bad for this team and if that helps you sleep at night, that's fine. at the end of the day, they're stanley cup champions and they did it without the flyers. to me, that sucks. it should've happened here, and it could've.

i like our new team. i just hope our fans and our GM can be patient this time around.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
  #70
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
all this proves is that the trades finally helped us beat the penguins on a consistent basis.

this team is well suited for run-and-gun hockey. they might even be the best in the league at it, but that's not what wins championships. defensively we took a huge step back in dealing richards and carter. giroux will continue to develop into a two-way forward but he's not quite there yet. read and couturier showed insane promise this year, but they were just rookies. we're just gonna have to be patient, something philadelphia's sports fans are not known for.

if you honestly believe that richards and carter were bad for this team and if that helps you sleep at night, that's fine. at the end of the day, they're stanley cup champions and they did it without the flyers. to me, that sucks. it should've happened here, and it could've.

i like our new team. i just hope our fans and our GM can be patient this time around.
Beating the Penguins is amazing.

You make some good points - I agree whole-heartedly with the patience aspect. I realllly do NOT want us trying to wheel and deal the likes of Coots and such for a pricy Nash-type of guy. You can't buy championship teams in the NHL.

The run-and-gun...it is a problem BUT I really feel like it's a culture in Philly. Our ticket sales, merchandise, fan engagement and excitement, etc all = $$. Phoenix-like systems don't create the same buzz. We were the most exciting team to watch in Round 1 - that was because of the run-and-gun (other stuff too). But for a money man like Snider, and throughout history - we either want the nasty, big defenseman (also fun to watch) and/or the super exciting offense. It sells.

It is entertaining. I think somewhere along the line, there needs to be a happy medium. We need to find a way to be this exciting young team but responsibly. I hope this is our goal going forward and I do believe (based on how we won the infamous Boston series) Lavy is capable of putting that on the ice.

Is he capable to adapting to different systems (epic fail in Devils series)? Probably. Will we do the above-mentioned things? Who knows...

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:31 PM
  #71
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,411
vCash: 500
all of this is for nought, as there was basicly NO chance we would have got past the NYR anyways..

that team had our number and we all know it..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
  #72
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
it is nice seeing a guy like hextall win and gagne but it must be the younger fans who are giddy about this win and happy for all these ex players. the longer you suffer the more it hurts to watch something like that. i really didn't get anything but frustration and sadness from watching that last night. I usually love watching the rest of the playoffs just as an NHL fan but this is by far the most depressing playoff run i've ever witnessed. It really was worst case scenario in my mind. worse than losing 6 finals in a row.(alright that might be crazy) we tried and tried with those guys and as soon as we abort and change the plans they go and win with the kings. insanely frustrating.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
  #73
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Truth...

Everyone has buyer's remorse right now. Keeping Richards and Carter wouldn't have changed much this year and as a Bryz fan (so saying this is hard to admit), the peice that would have made the difference here that the Kings had was Quick.

But, even with Quick I am not sure our fate would have been all that different this year. Our bad defensive play and inability to adapt to a system (as with the Devils) are not things a goalie can change.
No. There was a sizable contingent of fans who never liked the trades in the first place.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM
  #74
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Then why has LA not gone past the first round in previous playoffs?

Keep telling yourself the Flyers are better off right now with the trades. Keep telling yourself, and maybe you'll get someone else to believe it too.
They did have a new coach and Jon Quick kind of played alright, but if Richards and Carter coming to LA to carry them to the Stanley Cup makes you feel good, then fine.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
  #75
JABEE
Registered User
 
JABEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I don't know what this means.



What you're saying is that Getzlaf/Perry and Kane/Toews are oodles better than Richards/Carter? That's your opinion. What I see is only one of those duos being in the Cup finals more than once. But I'm sure that was an accident. Richards and Carter didn't have anything to do with that, right?

You've done nothing but throw **** at Richards and Carter, trying to mask ******** with "facts". It's clear what you're trying to say. Perhaps you can explain how these two cancers had the entire team working together a few years ago. But maybe that was an accident too.
Jeff Carter had very little to do with the Flyers going to the Stanley Cup Final in 2010. Chris Pronger, Danny Briere, and Mike Richards had a lot to do with it. Richards was a player I didn't want to trade. I think that is the trade that has a chance to backfire, but I can't see how the Jeff Carter trade was bad.

Richards and Carter are good players, but they aren't Flyers anymore. It seems like you care more about Richards and Carter than the Flyers. It's over, they're gone. It would be like me rooting for Patrick Sharp in spite of the Flyers.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.