HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why does MSG broadcast the Islanders and Devils?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
  #1
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers
 
Hanke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,145
vCash: 500
Why does MSG broadcast the Islanders and Devils?

I mean its called MSG for a reason, Madison square garden, where the Rangers play, not the Isles and Devils..

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
  #2
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,503
vCash: 500

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:11 PM
  #3
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
I mean its called MSG for a reason, Madison square garden, where the Rangers play, not the Isles and Devils..
because they need something to fill programming on 2 channels. pretty simple

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
  #4
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy
 
Staals Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 822
I think MSG does the broadcasting for the Sabres and Bruins also, not 100% sure tho. They do this because Dolan isn't as rich as he should be....

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
  #5
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I think MSG does the broadcasting for the Sabres and Bruins also, not 100% sure tho. They do so because Dolan needs money bad in this economy......
They do the Sabres, not the Bruins. The Bruins are on NESN, New England Sports Network.

__________________
Jaime Lannister has better hands than Brian Boyle.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:21 PM
  #6
hadrian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Because broadcasting those games makes sense for all parties involved. Who else would show Devils and Isles games, and how else would MSG fill up programming?

hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:26 PM
  #7
ratdog07067
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Hasn't Cablevision owned Sportschannel, which later became Fox Sports NY, and is now MSG+ since the 1970's?

Maybe they wanted MSG brand recognition to be everywhere?

ratdog07067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:31 PM
  #8
drewcon40
Registered User
 
drewcon40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: born LI, live SI
Posts: 828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
I mean its called MSG for a reason, Madison square garden, where the Rangers play, not the Isles and Devils..
I understand your point. MSG used to be "Channel 6" back in the day and I think someone nailed it with Cablevision owning all the channels and eventually they were put under the MSG umbrella.

MSG used to broadcast the Yankees and briefly, the Mets. Also, YES also broadcasts Nets games.

It is obviously about money. I think MSG should also go back to the monthly Madison Square Garden WWF/E house shows!!
: )

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:32 PM
  #9
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,325
vCash: 500
Obviously broadcast Rangers. I don't mind Buffalo because I live here and I get to see the Rangers (Thank god, My fav. team), and We don't really have a clear cut sports tv station up here unless you wanna watch the biased leaf and sens people

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
  #10
KreiMeARiver
PHI has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,105
vCash: 500
Because when Fox Sports Regions were broken up and sold, mostly to Roots Sports... MSG bought Fox Sports NY.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:56 PM
  #11
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
u beat me 2 it

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  #12
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
i remember in the early 90s I could watch BOSTON games on ch 55 hear in Suffolk.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:15 PM
  #13
JanErixon20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
i remember in the early 90s I could watch BOSTON games on ch 55 hear in Suffolk.
Really? I don't recall that at all. TV 55 is a LI station.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I just don't recall it.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
  #14
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Really? I don't recall that at all. TV 55 is a LI station.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I just don't recall it.
yea, Bruin games were on at least once a week. I just asked my brother and he also remembered them on 55.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
  #15
Giacomin
Registered User
 
Giacomin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Really? I don't recall that at all. TV 55 is a LI station.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I just don't recall it.
They seemed to broadcast about 10-15 Bruins game a year for almost 10 years. They also broadcast the same amount of Hartford Whalers games until the moved down South.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:42 PM
  #16
Joe11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
MSG has long term contracts with both the Islanders & Devils. From what I've heard the deal with the Isles is way overpriced and without this money the Isles would be sunk financially

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
  #17
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline
 
KreidertheGlider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
This may be slightly of topic, but does anyone know where I can watch Whale games in New York?

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
  #18
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey
 
charlie460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
This may be slightly of topic, but does anyone know where I can watch Whale games in New York?
I don't think anyone televises their games. You'd have to buy AHL Live.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:25 PM
  #19
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
MSG has long term contracts with both the Islanders & Devils. From what I've heard the deal with the Isles is way overpriced and without this money the Isles would be sunk financially
I heard it's the same with the Devils.

I mean, lovely! I'd - hands down - would be in favor of MSG showing Sabre games.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
  #20
TheVoiceOfReason
Registered User
 
TheVoiceOfReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Dolan loves him some money.

TheVoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
  #21
NewYorkRangers89*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Who else is gonna watch the Islanders and Devils if they aren't on MSG? Lol

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
  #22
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
MSG has long term contracts with both the Islanders & Devils. From what I've heard the deal with the Isles is way overpriced and without this money the Isles would be sunk financially
Really?? So the NYR are proping them up? Wow. I had no idea. Isles fans should have an MSG/NYR apperciation fan sticky thread at the top of thier forum.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
  #23
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Really?? So the NYR are proping them up? Wow. I had no idea. Isles fans should have an MSG/NYR apperciation fan sticky thread at the top of thier forum.
I would not believe that one bit.

MSG Sports Network is a regional sports network. As mentioned earlier they need programming to target their audience.. why wouldn't they be televising sporting events?

Its an entirely separate entity of their sports properties.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
  #24
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
I would not believe that one bit.

MSG Sports Network is a regional sports network. As mentioned earlier they need programming to target their audience.. why wouldn't they be televising sporting events?

Its an entirely separate entity of their sports properties.
I'm pretty sure the spinoff from Cablevision included Garden and MSG Network. In any case, the contracts the teams sign with MSG network are separate and the money coming from the Rangers contract has nothing to do with the other teams' contracts. The contracts are all based on expected ratings.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
  #25
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,860
vCash: 500
MSG pays both the Isles and the Devils a large sum of money to broadcast their games. I assume that cablevision makes back more than the amount that they pay, but that money from MSG is a large chunk of revenue for both teams.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.