HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz, Part II - The "Fans Praying" Edition

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Yes 101 64.74%
No 55 35.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2012, 06:32 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't know about you, but if I'm stepping into the league I want a team where I know that if I make mistakes, I wouldn't be crucified and that I'll have an oppurtunity to fit in with a younger core. It's laughable when people suggest the Oilers are going nowhere. They have 3 first overall forwards and 2 former all star forwards. Team is still very, very young. If I was Schultz, I would pick Edmonton followed by New York and then Vancouver/Toronto.
That's great and all...but at the end of the day you're in Edmonton. Maybe some people like it there, but I'm not sure most people would want to live there.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think the odds are pretty good for the Rangers on landing him. Rangers are pretty good in these situations. Schulz has some ties here. Rangers have the need. Rangers have the money. I think Slats can get this one done.

I don't think anyone should be guaranteed a roster spot though. Especially a kid coming striait out of college. If he comes, he's got some competition to beat out for the job.

Old
06-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Pretty much every team has the money to sign him. It's pretty much going to come down to where he wants to go.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't know about you, but if I'm stepping into the league I want a team where I know that if I make mistakes, I wouldn't be crucified and that I'll have an oppurtunity to fit in with a younger core. It's laughable when people suggest the Oilers are going nowhere. They have 3 first overall forwards and 2 former all star forwards. Team is still very, very young. If I was Schultz, I would pick Edmonton followed by New York and then Vancouver/Toronto.
I don't know about you...but living in Edmonton doesn't exactly entice me. They have some of the worst weather in Canada. Their offense was ranked worse than the Rangers this year. Their defense gives up a good chance every 2 minutes. Also, I'd want to play with a good D partner who can cover my mistakes. Who does Edmonton have that fits that mold? No one. Schultz COULD get an oppurtunity to play with Staal. Edmonton's entire D corps isn't worth Staal.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Pretty much every team has the money to sign him. It's pretty much going to come down to where he wants to go.
No they don't. See Florida 2 years ago with Eric Gudbranson. They had to keep him in the minors to avoid paying him his ELC bonuses.

06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Some teams don't want to pay bonuses people. Schultz isn't going into a situation where he won't be position to reach those bonuses. Its one thing to give the bonuses and its another thing to not give the player the opportunity to earn the bonuses. The Islanders hand out bonuses like candy but they know the player will never reach the bonuses sitting in the press box or in the AHL.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

I've been out of the loop for the whole situation with Schultz. I understand that the Ducks don't look like they will re-sign him and he is an amazing prospect.

But what happened with Schultz and the Ducks? Why hasn't he signed with them, where was the disconnect?

Old
06-12-2012, 01:48 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
I've been out of the loop for the whole situation with Schultz. I understand that the Ducks don't look like they will re-sign him and he is an amazing prospect.

But what happened with Schultz and the Ducks? Why hasn't he signed with them, where was the disconnect?
Schultz just doesn't want to sign with them and wants to go on the market. Ducks obviously wanted to sign him.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post

He's just excerising his right to go to free agency and choose where he wants to play.

I don't feel like it personal with him and the Ducks he'd just rather play somewhere else.

06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
He's just excerising his right to go to free agency and choose where he wants to play.

I don't feel like it personal with him and the Ducks he'd just rather play somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Schultz just doesn't want to sign with them and wants to go on the market. Ducks obviously wanted to sign him.
Alright thanks guys, makes sense. Just wasn't sure if he felt disrespected by him, or they did not give him enough money, etc.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:57 PM
egelband

i'd think the leafs are the frontrunners. schultz is passing on a solid team in a great city - at least in terms of weather and 'liveliness'. he has something in mind. i gotta guess he wants to go to canada's hockey mecca. he probably has his mind made-up already.

if he doesn't have his mind set on the leafs, though, the rangers would be a pretty logical choice too, for hockey reasons and the fact new york is the biggest stage.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:56 PM
charliemurphy

Guarantee Schultz an NHL spot to get him to sign?
Is this even possible? Do teams actually put these types of stipulations/incentives in contracts in order to sign a player?
Offer him a guarantee of a spot in camp to earn a roster spot to play in the NHL.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Section32

TORTS FACTOR....

I am afraid that some guys will just want to avoid playing under a guy that has developed a reputation as a hard-nosed, somewhat difficult coach who just happens to welcome his team every year with the most dreaded training camp in the League.

And please, I love this coach. He may not be perfect, and there are many things he does that drive me mad, but he is the best that I have seen that has over 100 games behind the bench since Michel Bergeron...I don't remember Herb Brooks as I was just getting into hockey at the time.

(AND no, Michel was a horrible coach who they gave up a 1st round draft pick for to Quebec...and who did that defunct organization draft with that (15? pick) Joe Sakic...

So, for some of you younger Ranger fans, the hurt and pain runs very deep with our kind...

Thank God The Devils aren't having a parade in Newark this week...BTW got lost in Newark (with GPS) 2 weeks ago after a Radiohead show. It was an "interesting" experience that I am happy to say is over and won't be repeated.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section32 View Post
TORTS FACTOR....

I am afraid that some guys will just want to avoid playing under a guy that has developed a reputation as a hard-nosed, somewhat difficult coach who just happens to welcome his team every year with the most dreaded training camp in the League.

And please, I love this coach. He may not be perfect, and there are many things he does that drive me mad, but he is the best that I have seen that has over 100 games behind the bench since Michel Bergeron...I don't remember Herb Brooks as I was just getting into hockey at the time.

(AND no, Michel was a horrible coach who they gave up a 1st round draft pick for to Quebec...and who did that defunct organization draft with that (15? pick) Joe Sakic...

So, for some of you younger Ranger fans, the hurt and pain runs very deep with our kind...

Thank God The Devils aren't having a parade in Newark this week...BTW got lost in Newark (with GPS) 2 weeks ago after a Radiohead show. It was an "interesting" experience that I am happy to say is over and won't be repeated.
The torts factor? Are you serious? If that was a deciding factor then I dont want the kid. This isnt pee wee's, its the NHL. If you can't handle a tough coach then youre not gona last very long in the nhl or at the very least be successful. If he cant handle a tough camp i dont want him. Torts has that camp for a reason. So you stay in shape in the offseason and will be ready for a tough camp so that in turn you are ready for an 82 game season. Our young defensemen have progressively gotten better under Torts and Sully. If schultz cant see that with the success of McDonagh then he can go play for a losing team in toronto.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
TORTS FACTOR....

this is just ignorant. i absolutely despise torts at times, but guys go out of there way to play for this guy. anybody who has played under him loves the guy (minus sean avery haha). so he talks off to the media every so often. it benefits the room. he takes the heat, they don't.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
The torts factor? Are you serious? If that was a deciding factor then I dont want the kid.
I think there is a Torts factor and I think it's a good thing. He scares away the weak,lazy players who don't want to work.

If someone is a free agent and thinks "I don't want to play for the Rangers because the coach is tough", he's a player we wouldn't want anyway.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
sfox7076

Torts would be the reason to come. He rewards good players with a lot of playing time. Play well, displace dead weight, move up. Torts has no shame in benching unproductive players. If he has too much self-doubt to think that he will be that player, I don't want him.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:29 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
TORTS FACTOR....

you say this as if torts wasn't a player favorite coach but meanwhile our lockerroom is filld with guys that love torts and would run thru a wall for him if he asked...schultz has probably already heard from mcdonagh and stepan how great torts is as a coach

Old
06-12-2012, 07:19 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
TORTS FACTOR....

Old
06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Last time we didn't guarantee a spot, Zidlicky went on to have a very solid career somewhere else.

Not comparing the players, just the situation.

I'd rather tell him the spot is his to lose and sign him, then lose him over that.

He knows there's a spot, we know there's a spot, all he has to do is work hard anyway and the spot is his.

not really a stretch here.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
TORTS FACTOR....

Utterly ridiculous. The vast majority of players WANT to play for Torts. Losers like Zherdev are the minority. And I'd rather be without guys like that.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Utterly ridiculous. The vast majority of players WANT to play for Torts. Losers like Zherdev are the minority. And I'd rather be without guys like that.
Imagine the disaster that Radulov would be.

Schultz would be fine with Tortorella. The kid is a very competitive hard worker.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Imagine the disaster that Radulov would be.

Schultz would be fine with Tortorella. The kid is a very competitive hard worker.
Wisco kids generally are (except for one). Granted, that one was so ****ing ****** and loser-ific that he washed out of Wisco.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Just have a feeling he's gonna sign with Vancouver. Hope i'm wrong.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post

Let's say Erixon is ready, Sauer is back and Schultz looks like Erixon did last year. Should Erixon or Sauer sit because Schultz has a guaranteed spot?

I think it sends the wrong message to guarantee Schultz a spot in the lineup.
I agree. Although I can't see anything being a gurantee when it comes to playing professional sports. He needs to earn it. Torts doesn't give away free rides because of talent, present or untapped. Zuke is a prime example of that.

Closed Thread