HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season Discussion Part V (Cap info in 1st post)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 01:26 PM
  #101
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
If Tamoa Bay would do the trade, I would do Martin for Malone. Or maybe Martin for Stewart if they want Martin or would be interested in them.

Bottom line is, we need a winger like that, another tough, gritty winger who can score and stand up for his teammates.

EDIT:

1. Trade Martin for Malone
2. Trade/waive Craig Adams
3. Re-sign Arron Asham
4. Sign Travis Moen

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Malone-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Moen-Vitale-Asham

Orpik-Letang
Despres-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 01:31 PM
  #102
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17
 
Jesus Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Call me crazy, but i'm willing to bet that Martin is still a Penguin come the start of 2012-13 season. it just doesn't sound like Shero to me to panic and dump a player that he signed to a big deal just because he had a bad year.

He'll probably work with Bylsma to adjust the defensive system to get better results from Martin and the rest of the D. and if that doesn't work, then he'd try to dump him.

Jesus Vitale is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
  #103
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
Call me crazy, but i'm willing to bet that Martin is still a Penguin come the start of 2012-13 season. it just doesn't sound like Shero to me to panic and dump a player that he signed to a big deal just because he had a bad year.

He'll probably work with Bylsma to adjust the defensive system to get better results from Martin and the rest of the D. and if that doesn't work, then he'd try to dump him.
it's not just because he had a bad year though. It's also because he's our most expensive defenseman and at the same time the most easily replaced/most redundant skillset of our top defensemen. I still think Martin is a good player despite last year. I think he'll show it this year either with us or someone else. But I still think it makes sense to trade him.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
  #104
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
Call me crazy, but i'm willing to bet that Martin is still a Penguin come the start of 2012-13 season. it just doesn't sound like Shero to me to panic and dump a player that he signed to a big deal just because he had a bad year.

He'll probably work with Bylsma to adjust the defensive system to get better results from Martin and the rest of the D. and if that doesn't work, then he'd try to dump him.
I hope so. Getting rid of Martin won't solve any problems other than open up cap space & a roster space for a younger guy. If he really wants to fix the defense the players are there but the guy behind the bench needs to change his approach.

eXile59 is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
  #105
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Moen - Vitale - Asham is a ****ing bad ass 4th line. I would love sending them out and causing a scene every night.

ColePens is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
  #106
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,467
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
Call me crazy, but i'm willing to bet that Martin is still a Penguin come the start of 2012-13 season. it just doesn't sound like Shero to me to panic and dump a player that he signed to a big deal just because he had a bad year.

He'll probably work with Bylsma to adjust the defensive system to get better results from Martin and the rest of the D. and if that doesn't work, then he'd try to dump him.
Absoooolutely. Unfortunately. I completely agree with you, but that Vokoun move really shocked me. Maybe set a tone that Shero wants this window to go right.

You watch teams like Vancouver, Flyers, and Caps and you can see how windows open and shut and then re-open. We were lucky to get one, but we can end up w/ just that one if we don't attack it full speed ahead.

ColePens is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:07 PM
  #107
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Moen - Vitale - Asham is a ****ing bad ass 4th line. I would love sending them out and causing a scene every night.
If Moen allowed us to bench Adams, I'm all for it.

mpp9 is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
  #108
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,357
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Moen - Vitale - Asham is a ****ing bad ass 4th line. I would love sending them out and causing a scene every night.
You think Adams will be promoted to the third line then? Because we all know Bylsma ain't sitting him as long as he's on this roster.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:25 PM
  #109
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
You think Adams will be promoted to the third line then? Because we all know Bylsma ain't sitting him as long as he's on this roster.
I agree. Although Moen is a guy that may be able to take Adam's spot because he does play a lot on the PK and obviously adds size and toughness to the team. Just a matter of how much money/term Moen wants and how worried Shero is about the concussion Moen had last season.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:33 PM
  #110
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree. Although Moen is a guy that may be able to take Adam's spot because he does play a lot on the PK and obviously adds size and toughness to the team. Just a matter of how much money/term Moen wants and how worried Shero is about the concussion Moen had last season.
I see him getting too much to really even be considered. I don't see him taking less than the 1.4/1.5 he had last year, and the Pens can't really afford to spend 1.5 on a 4th liner...

Riptide is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
  #111
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Ron Cook's take on Sidney Crosby in the Post-Gazette.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-wants-639947/

One side-note from the article is that he would rather trade Malkin than Staal (???).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's a definite. The guy is a moron. Anyone suggesting you trade Malkin before Staal doesn't have a clue. Can't we get one decent Penguins reporter in this town?

Don't hold your breath. I haven't found a single intelligent hockey writer in Pittsburgh yet, although some are clearly worse than others, Rossi being the chief idiot who knows nothing and at the same time acts like an insider so he can get web clicks.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 02:59 PM
  #112
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Don't hold your breath. I haven't found a single intelligent hockey writer in Pittsburgh yet, although some are clearly worse than others, Rossi being the chief idiot who knows nothing and at the same time acts like an insider so he can get web clicks.
i'll just throw out a name - Sean Conboy of Pittsburgh Magazine.

full disclosure: i did go to college with him, but this promotion is on the merits.

note: i think we should have a permanent Pittsburgh Media Thread - where we can all get our shots in at Cook, Rossi, Madden and others.

Crafton is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
  #113
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i'll just throw out a name - Sean Conboy of Pittsburgh Magazine.

full disclosure: i did go to college with him, but this promotion is on the merits.

note: i think we should have a permanent Pittsburgh Media Thread - where we can all get our shots in at Cook, Rossi, Madden and others.
As moderator I will agree to that on one condition: that all other mentions in other threads, can be deleted with impunity. Especially Rossi and Madden.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 03:59 PM
  #114
PenguinTommy
Registered User
 
PenguinTommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zvolen
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
FWIW ...


PenguinTommy is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:04 PM
  #115
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but if we do trade Staal, I would like to see Shero go after Stoll. He isn't flashy or anything but he's a big guy and one of the best at face-offs in the league.

Or we could keep Staal and sign Stoll and put them on the same line just to confuse the hell out of Errey and Steigy.

Black Label is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:04 PM
  #116
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
FWIW ...

I'm telling you man, Someone would take Kennedy, even for a 2nd or 3rd.


Someone like Tampa or Detroit could take Martin for a pick and/or prospect.


That's 7 million, on top of what cap space we already have. Could it be tough to do? Maybe, but it's not that heavy of lifting to do.


Edit: Wait, I assume the "heavy lifting" refers to cap space right? Not enticing him to come here?

Beauner is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
  #117
Jahodac
Registered User
 
Jahodac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
I'm telling you man, Someone would take Kennedy, even for a 2nd or 3rd.


Someone like Tampa or Detroit could take Martin for a pick and/or prospect.


That's 7 million, on top of what cap space we already have. Could it be tough to do? Maybe, but it's not that heavy of lifting to do.


Edit: Wait, I assume the "heavy lifting" refers to cap space right? Not enticing him to come here?
The problem is that that's a lot of moves to make for a chance at signing a guy like Parise. If he were to sign elsewhere, the Pens would be shafted for next season and have to join the bidding wars for other players.

Jahodac is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
  #118
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
The problem is that that's a lot of moves to make for a chance at signing a guy like Parise. If he were to sign elsewhere, the Pens would be shafted for next season and have to join the bidding wars for other players.
For sure, but it seems like a lot of people expect Martin to be traded anyway (although, unfortunately, I agree with CPZ17).

And trading TK isn't exactly a horrible loss. Could open up a spot for Tangradi.

Beauner is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
  #119
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
The problem is that that's a lot of moves to make for a chance at signing a guy like Parise. If he were to sign elsewhere, the Pens would be shafted for next season and have to join the bidding wars for other players.
We have the money to sign Parise now.

We can trade Martin whether or not Parise signs here.

If we trade Martin for a pick and sign Parise, we can then look to trade Kennedy.

If Parise signs elsewhere, we have Despres to take Martin's spot, unless Shero signs a guy like Allen, and we keep our forwards and re-sign Sullivan.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
  #120
laufer72
Ashburton Grove
 
laufer72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Don't hold your breath. I haven't found a single intelligent hockey writer in Pittsburgh yet, although some are clearly worse than others, Rossi being the chief idiot who knows nothing and at the same time acts like an insider so he can get web clicks.
Did anyone read the comments by readers on that article? There's more dumb people in this city that I ever imagined.......my god!!

laufer72 is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
  #121
shureshot66
Global Moderator
 
shureshot66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Absoooolutely. Unfortunately. I completely agree with you, but that Vokoun move really shocked me. Maybe set a tone that Shero wants this window to go right.

You watch teams like Vancouver, Flyers, and Caps and you can see how windows open and shut and then re-open. We were lucky to get one, but we can end up w/ just that one if we don't attack it full speed ahead.
With that move I have to wonder how much Shero was motivated by the Flyers also being interested in Vokoun. It's been reported that Holmgren has basically offered Bobrovsky up to anyone and everyone, so I'm sure it got back to Shero that there would be competition for Vokoun -- hence the aggressiveness.

shureshot66 is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
  #122
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
With that move I have to wonder how much Shero was motivated by the Flyers also being interested in Vokoun. It's been reported that Holmgren has basically offered Bobrovsky up to anyone and everyone, so I'm sure it got back to Shero that there would be competition for Vokoun -- hence the aggressiveness.
I agree.

JTG is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
  #123
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
If Parise stays in NJ or signs somewhere else, then how about acquiring Latendresse's rights for Martin? I know he has concussion history but, he could be pretty effective with Crosby if he stays healthy.

Or Martin for Malone.

Latendresse - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

or

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Malone - Malkin - Neal


I would also love Cory Sarich in this team.

Muscles4Malkin is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
  #124
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
If Parise stays in NJ or signs somewhere else, then how about acquiring Latendresse's rights for Martin? I know he has concussion history but, he could be pretty effective with Crosby if he stays healthy.

Or Martin for Malone.

Latendresse - Crosby - Dupuis
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

or

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Malone - Malkin - Neal


I would also love Cory Sarich in this team.
I'd be happy with Latendresse or Malone coming back for Martin. Sarich I don't know. I don't know much about him. He's supposed to be a physical guy right? With Engo, does our 3rd pair need another guy like that? At least enough to block strait/despres/bortuzzo from making the team? Really the only way I want another D is if we aren't keeping Niskanen.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
  #125
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,383
vCash: 500
No thanks on Latendresse. If healthy no worries, but his concussion issues are a big if. Has he even played more than 20 games the last 2 seasons? I don't even think he's been totally healthy since his Montreal days.

KaylaJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.