HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto and Phoenix

Old
06-12-2012, 02:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Toronto and Phoenix

Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix for Colorado's 4th round pick in the 2012 draft, previously acquired for Dan Winnik.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Can't see this happening, Phoenix let him go to unrestricted free agency specifically because they wouldn't pay him the contract he got with Nashville. To the have him come full circle with that same bloated contract would be nuts, especially to give up a 4th for it to happen.

Lombardi could be useful on some teams, even with the contract he is on, but not on Phoenix.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Done.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Can't see this happening, Phoenix let him go to unrestricted free agency specifically because they wouldn't pay him the contract he got with Nashville. To the have him come full circle with that same bloated contract would be nuts, especially to give up a 4th for it to happen.

Lombardi could be useful on some teams, even with the contract he is on, but not on Phoenix.
You are ALMOST correct. Phoenix offered Lombardi the exact same contract he accepted in Nashville. By the time Lombardi came crawling back, Phoenix had already signed Whitney, and there was no room left for Lombo. He then signed in Nashville. If I recall correctly Lombardi replaced his representation shortly thereafter.

Something nearly identical happened with Radim Vrbata once upon a time. He took a three year deal in Tampa, leaving the site of his greatest success because Maloney would only give him a two year deal. A year later, after Vrbata had washed out of Tampa, Phoenix re-acquired him for broken enforcer Todd Fedoruk and the worst defenseman to ever play for the Coyotes in David Hale. Vrbata immediately regained form as he fits the Coyotes perfectly.

Matthew Lombardi also fits the Coyotes perfectly. It's a gamble, for sure, but it's one I could really see Phoenix rolling the dice on.

Salary, by the way, is a non issue in this case. Daymond Langkow made 4.5million last year, Roszival made 3million and neither will be back. Nobody on the roster will get a significant raise. The Coyotes will actually have a tough time matching the 50million they spent on nhl player salaries last season. 50million that was reportedly well under the league imposed budget. Maloney bragged several times about having all of this extra budget space and then lamented that he couldnt find anyone to use it on.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Throw in Nick Ross.

You've got a deal.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Ricky Bobby

At this point the Leafs are better off keeping Lombardi and hoping he rebounds.

Unless we end up needing the cap space to make another deal we might as well head into the season with Lomardi with the hope that he can become the 3rd line center.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Throw in Nick Ross.

You've got a deal.
Sure. No problem.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

All the sudden Leaf fans want to keep Lombardi? Leafs do this deal, no takes back.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:13 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

If there is an NHL team who wants to accept Lombardi and his contract then the Leafs need to make that trade right away.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
All the sudden Leaf fans want to keep Lombardi? Leafs do this deal, no takes back.
Only one in this thread, so far.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'll drive him there lol but I personally would want a project prospect tbh.

06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

He is all yours

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
phillipmike

I would love to keep him as i think he could be a good fit next season. But the cap space is too valuable to pass up. The Leafs would trade Lombardi for any draft pick.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
At this point the Leafs are better off keeping Lombardi and hoping he rebounds.

Unless we end up needing the cap space to make another deal we might as well head into the season with Lomardi with the hope that he can become the 3rd line center.
I agree. The guy missed a YEAR recovering from a concussion. Finally, he has a full summer to train and he can put the concussion stuff behind him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a huge rebound year.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Sure. No problem.
I'd be good with it as a Leaf fan too. Good proposal.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Sure. No problem.
Get the paper work ready.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Done. Lombardi may rebound next year, but in my opinion, who cares. We can start playing a prospect instead to save a couple million on the cap which could possibly help acquiring a big name player. Even if we do keep him, I don't see us resigning him. May as well get something for him instead of letting him walk in a year.

For those saying keep him, let me put it this way (not saying that this is necessarily the case, but possibly). Suppose next season our choice is either to keep and play Lombardi while Kadri stays in the AHL, or trade him and play Kadri, which would you choose now?

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post

Ah, the Francios Beauchemin logic.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Done. Lombardi may rebound next year, but in my opinion, who cares. We can start playing a prospect instead to save a couple million on the cap which could possibly help acquiring a big name player. Even if we do keep him, I don't see us resigning him. May as well get something for him instead of letting him walk in a year.

For those saying keep him, let me put it this way (not saying that this is necessarily the case, but possibly). Suppose next season our choice is either to keep and play Lombardi while Kadri stays in the AHL, or trade him and play Kadri, which would you choose now?
If Kadri is in the NHL as a winger (which is starting to seem more and more likely), then it shouldn't be a problem. Most fans that want to keep Lombardi are penciling him in as the 3rd line centre.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Get the paper work ready.
let's hope the fax machine still works.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
let's hope the fax machine still works.
You can borrow mine if it's not

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post

Why would you trade him now when you can get better value after the season is in-progress.

What happens if Kadri has a poor camp and needs a short stint in the AHL or could use a game here or there in the pressbox, what happens when Connolly and Armstrong both go down with injuries, what happens if Frattin takes a step back next year and needs to see a few games in the pressbox or a conditioning stint for his knee.

As for the cap space issue, deals don`t happen that would require us to have a bunch of cap space after the July 1st frenzy until February/March by which point we'll have cap space from long term injury reserve.

Lombardi has a decent chance at rebounding with a good off-season of training and becoming a useful 35-40 point 3rd line center.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 06-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Leaffansince85

It's called Asset Management... Learn this phrase. Ässet Management..

Burke doesnt subscribe but hes going to have to if he ever wants to be noteworthy again.

After you move out Armstrong, Brown, Bozak and any other of those plugs not in the top six, as well as Komisarek, thats if and when you accomplish these things, then you look to move Lombardi.

Theres at least three contracts worse than Lombardis, because when healthy is an excellent bottom six third line player.

Then theres the matter of a 4th... a guy who put up 50 plus points two years ago should not go for a 4th if youre doing your job correctly.

Without being an nhl gm, I am fully confident I land a draft pick from 25-40 bare min for Lombardi. If he goes for anything less then said gm is a complete failure.

Please note Armstrong made about a million dollars a goal, and Phoenix is the last place that can add salary.

Wake up.

Leaffansince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffansince85 View Post

Burke doesnt subscribe but hes going to have to if he ever wants to be noteworthy again.

After you move out Armstrong, Brown, Bozak and any other of those plugs not in the top six, as well as Komisarek, thats if and when you accomplish these things, then you look to move Lombardi.

Theres at least three contracts worse than Lombardis, because when healthy is an excellent bottom six third line player.

Then theres the matter of a 4th... a guy who put up 50 plus points two years ago should not go for a 4th if youre doing your job correctly.

Without being an nhl gm, I am fully confident I land a draft pick from 25-40 bare min for Lombardi. If he goes for anything less then said gm is a complete failure.

Please note Armstrong made about a million dollars a goal, and Phoenix is the last place that can add salary.

Wake up.
...what?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffansince85 View Post

Wake up.
Wake up? Im afraid you are the one dreaming my friend. Any GM who gets less than a 25-40 pick for Lombardi is a failure, and YOU could do a better job? Ever heard of David Poile? There is actually a very recent example of a Matthew Lombardi trade that you may want to take another look at.

Also, you may want to reconsider your use of the phrase "asset management". The first word is asset. Do you really think those three "worse" contracts are assets?

My third suggestion is ditch the condescending tone.