HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn-to-Oilers rumour riles Leafs GM

Old
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Wiki is a better source than nothing, which is what you have cited. And he was a player agent. Are you disputing this?

I'm not questioning whether or not he is eligible to be a lawyer. I'm saying he has never actually been a lawyer and so far you haven't shown otherwise.

Having a law degree is probably helpful in being an agent, but that doesn't mean agent = lawyer.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:14 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Why am I being accused of trolling here? This is a pretty reasonable discussion as far as I'm concerned. Still no sources. Wiki says he was a player agent after graduating from Harvard. You could argue being an agent or lawyer are similar jobs but they are not the same, and you dont need an education in law to be an agent.
The paragraph's being quoted to you are from the leafs website under his bio.
As Northstarnicky says, he is licensed to practice law in Mass.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42194

Move on. Let's keep on topic.

Last edited by crump: 06-12-2012 at 04:24 PM.
crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
BrannigansLaw

Here's an idea for Burke,

**** and fix this craptastic excuse of a team you've built.

Sincerely,
Leafs fans tired of your big mouth

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I don't understand why he goes out of his way to talk about this? Just leave rumors as rumors and ignore them. Seriously..
I'm suprised how blatantly obvious it is, why Burke has said what he said. Since he has gotten to Toronto, he has gone above and beyond to protect his players, and make Toronto an attractive market for players to come to. There are very few managers in business that go to the lengths that Burke does to protect and support his employees. The self imposed Christmas trade freeze is a perfect example of this.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:49 PM
UllmansTiger

If it's ok for Friedman to speculate it's ok for Burke to respond. Also, what Burke said doesn't deny talks with Edmonton nor that Nonis could have mentioned Schenn. I don't know what the truth is here but I don't see a problem with any of it, he's a players GM after all.

UllmansTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
daveleaf

I for one do not believe 'rumors' was the basis for this team falling apart. If it was then get rid of everyone because if they can't handle that they could never handle a march through the playoffs.

This team fell apart because the GM put all his marbles in goaltending with very little experiece and then went on to say he can get a good veteran goaltender at any point. Obviously that never happened. The team fell apart from lack of depth and true top players down the middle-he didn't want to hand out the contracts that NYR handed out but felt somewhat compelled to hand out ridiculous contracts to Komisarek and Armstrong and then took on Lombardi to have Franson. This team fell apart because he backed a coach that had no real defensive system and accountability in place. When we got scored on he blamed the players and the goalie. Instead of firing him last season he decided to give him an extension then fire him once the season was lost.

This team lost because of a lot of reasons, you can say 'rumors' did them in. In the end Burke has only himself to look at. He is the guy in charge of decisions and all those reasons above-those were his decisions.

Time for Burke to step up and stop whining about the press and do his job. Time to stop picking fights and put together a team with 'fight'. Stop complaining about contracts being offered out and signing duds to your own team. Because as of today, it is he who has driven a franchise into the sewer and not Kevin Lowe.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
lefty2time*

I love it when a GM comes out and says it for what it is.

We all follow and read this stuff because its interesting... when media prints BS stuff..and creates false rumors..i love it when they get put in their place.

If GM BB wants to ring them out..SO BE IT..

preach on brother!!!!

And if you dont trust him...then at least its good entertainment.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Smif

I don't understand why this tiny little one liner from Burke is spurring this kind of debate here.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

He won't tip his hand, and I would go as far as to say that if the media and "insiders" kept their mouths shut more often than not, there would probably be a lot more trade action to talk about. Teams don't like being let out of the bag.

Regardless if there have been negotiations or not (and I'm sure there have been discussions), why would Burke qualify any of this with productive talk? Kill his own dealings? tip other teams off? Get real.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I don't understand why this tiny little one liner from Burke is spurring this kind of debate here.
One poster made a big deal out of it, like he does any time Burke does anything and he got the reaction he was looking for.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:06 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Burke, his name is Burke.
Maybe there is some humor behind the mis-spelling of Burkes' last name, but I certainlly don't see it.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

can hardly wait for the next rumor

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Is it possible that Elliot Freidman heard this from someone in Edmonton and that's why he reported it.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Is it possible that Elliot Freidman heard this from someone in Edmonton and that's why he reported it.
I'd say it's pretty clear where the information came from.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
UllmansTiger

It's possible, Friedman is fairly reliable, I think he'd have some kind of leg to stand on. I didn't hear what he said on the broadcast but what he wrote didn't actually say Schenn was offered, 'rumblings that he will be offered' then noted it probably wouldn't be enough to get the #1 if true.

UllmansTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:41 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
Have to say, Burke should stop quibbling about this. 29 other teams in the league are subject to the HNIC Hot Stove reports, and when you're in the most hockey-mad market in the league, chances are you'll be in them more often than not.

At the end of the article, he says something along the lines of "a little editorial change would be nice". Really? So the editor should be filtering out specific rumours that displease certain GM's? Seems silly.

Ultimately, when you're running the richest team in the league, with the biggest media base, and you've got a 26th place team with no prospects of signing an FA to help your chances, trade rumours get jacked up. Deal with it.
Burkie loves the media, and hates the media...he uses the media, then disses the media...

He has made himself this type of target, and then gets cranky with HNIC? How come all the other GM's aren't upset with the gang at HNIC when they do all the speculation about their teams, and potential moves? Who left the quiet scene of Anaheim for the hub bub of media activity in TO...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Rinzler

Some of you people are ruthless. Love to see how you'd react to this constant BS every day. How long has it been since the baseless rumors about his personal life and stepping down came out? Like a week, maybe?

Put it in perspective, this guy is getting **** on constantly. We don't deserve a good GM in this town.

Rinzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Burkie loves the media, and hates the media...he uses the media, then disses the media...

He has made himself this type of target, and then gets cranky with HNIC? How come all the other GM's aren't upset with the gang at HNIC when they do all the speculation about their teams, and potential moves? Who left the quiet scene of Anaheim for the hub bub of media activity in TO...
Because no one cares what they have to say?

Cox asked Burke, he answered.

If Doug Wilson answered the same way, it probably even wouldn't make a bleep in the matrix.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Because no one cares what they have to say?

Cox asked Burke, he answered.

If Doug Wilson answered the same way, it probably even wouldn't make a bleep in the matrix.
Exactly, I see no issue here except the one people make up just to take shots at Burke. Its not like Burke set up a press conference then went balistic. He was asked a question about a false rumour and Burke shot it down. Should be end of story but some people love to make a huge issue out of nothiong when Burke is involved.

bionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
eyeball11

Is anyone surprised?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Sergei Berezin

Leaf brethren never cease to amaze.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Some of you people are ruthless. Love to see how you'd react to this constant BS every day. How long has it been since the baseless rumors about his personal life and stepping down came out? Like a week, maybe?

Put it in perspective, this guy is getting **** on constantly. We don't deserve a good GM in this town.
Agree completely.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:41 PM
LetzgoEggo

IMO this is an example of BB making CBC look bad in part because of the new ownership coming in. I don't know if it's part of a plot for exclusive rights to the Leafs or what but something is up.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Brown Dog

I really hope Burke is looking to trade Schenn and is just being coy here--but I suspect the ship has probably already sailed on getting anything of value out of Schenn at this point anyway. Sigh.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:16 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Maybe there is some humor behind the mis-spelling of Burkes' last name, but I certainlly don't see it.
Some minds are more easily amused than others? People intentionally misspelling other peoples names can sometimes be funny once, but it has definitely been beaten to death awhile ago now.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote