HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burrows & Edler

Old
06-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vCash: 500
There's absolutely no way that you sign Alex Burrows to a 10 year contract. Sorry guys, but that's just lunacy. I would try to sign him to a 5 year deal worth $4.0 or $4.5 per season - this is probably a discount on what he could get in the open market, but I think that he would be willing to stay here for around that kind of money.

Last edited by Treefingers: 06-12-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I don't see burrows as being a player getting a 10 year deal to be honest.

I do see him taking another discount, not as healthy as before but making 4-4.5 mil per I'm A-ok with paying a versitile player of his caliber.
That's why I think my 6 year 22.5 deal works best.

He's at market value for the first 4 years (averages 4.5 per) the two extra year pays him 4.5 (creating a good cap hit for the team...Burrows believes in that).

4.5 average until 36, with a $3.0 and a $1.5 to finish up the 6 year term.

Win-Win IMO.

I cannot see any team valuing him the same way we do. Nobody is going to give him 6years $30. I doubt anyone gives him 6 years.

He's likely get offers of 4years 18 million (we're offering him that over the first 4 years + 2 years of security).

***seen it a few times now, people keep posting about not giving Burr a 10 year deal.....Nobody has suggested that in this thread that I've read***

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Todds Chiropractory

vCash: 50
I'm expecting a bit of an offensive regression from burrows over the next couple years re-establishing himself as an elite 3rd liner. Hope we don't give him to much length if were above 3 million.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That's why I think my 6 year 22.5 deal works best.

He's at market value for the first 4 years (averages 4.5 per) the two extra year pays him 4.5 (creating a good cap hit for the team...Burrows believes in that).

4.5 average until 36, with a $3.0 and a $1.5 to finish up the 6 year term.

Win-Win IMO.

I cannot see any team valuing him the same way we do. Nobody is going to give him 6years $30. I doubt anyone gives him 6 years.

He's likely get offers of 4years 18 million (we're offering him that over the first 4 years + 2 years of security).
I agree, I don't think he even gets to UFA status to be honest. He should retire a Canuck, shame on those saying he should be moved.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
We don't give guys what they could get on the open market. If Burrows wants to squeeze everything he can out of this next contract he's going to have to do that somewhere else.

Also, Burrows did not take a major pay cut, he got a raise. He signed the deal after half a season of producing with the twins. Rather then sign a shorter term deal to prove his new offensive prowess and earn more money he opted for term and security. The Canucks owe him nothing.
Tell that to the mass of people here who think Burrows is the second coming of Jesus Christ. I wouldn't want to pay him anymore then a $3-3.5 per on a 3-4 year deal. People seem to forget that he turns 33 next April before his new deal will even kick in. I think Burrows is a great player but his age and the style he plays is going to catch up with him sooner rather then later. I am not one who thinks he is worth $5M a year for 6 years... and I also believe he took a pay cut signing a 4yr $2M per extension last time. Regardless if he played with the Sedin's or not has nothing to do with statistical negotiations. His numbers had him easily in the $3M-$4M range yet he wanted to stay. This time around he will be swinging for the fences. Bank on it

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:18 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I agree, I don't think he even gets to UFA status to be honest. He should retire a Canuck, shame on those saying he should be moved.
Agreed.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Which explosive playoff series is that? Kesler signed his deal after producing with Mats for half a season iirc. I think some people thought Gillis gave him too much based on what he had done to that point.
I'd disagree. I thought that he played well enough to garner the 5 million given what other players were making. Surely some might have thought that and I could see why, but when he signed the deal I thought it was fair price given his elite two way game and how he was already a Selke Nominee finalist the year prior and latter was nominated again and finally won 2012. That's quite the feat to be going head to head and mentioned in the same breath as Datsyuk.

EDIT: I'd give him 4 years at 4 million 4.25 at most then re-negotiate with him then and hopefully is willing to accept a more delegated role like a 3rd line winger.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
billvanseattle

i think reward him for the salary he's missed out on with a front loaded contract .... over 6 or 7 years ...

6 5 4 3 3 2 1

works out to a cap hit of less than than $3.5 M and should still be considered ok by the league, and if he retires at 35 or 36 he doesn't lose much.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:41 PM
vadim sharifijanov

i'll say this about the possibility of giving burrows a five year deal: his on-ice intelligence is extremely high. if his body holds up, i can certainly see him playing to 40 even as he loses his speed.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:10 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Whatever the team needs for a push?

The team needs more Alex Burrows' not less.

6 years 22.5m: $3.75 caphit

5+5+4+4+3+1.5
this time next year burrows will be 32. yeah he's a heart and soul guy but he's also not going to be as good as he has been from the point that his deal is signed. honestly, i don't even like him that much as the third sedin because he's too weak to go to the net and stay there. when the sedins get bottled up, abused and neutralized replacing burrows with a stronger player is the usual coaching tactic, so why not find one full time?

he's a very smart player, works hard, has touch around the net and some clutch in him. i like the guy a lot, but i'd like him a lot more if he weren't the best option to play with the sedins and could be a 2nd/3rd liner.

but really, the biggest reason gillis isn't going to break the bank for burrows is because he doesn't have to. bur will sign cheap to play for vancouver.

mrbitterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Tell that to the mass of people here who think Burrows is the second coming of Jesus Christ. I wouldn't want to pay him anymore then a $3-3.5 per on a 3-4 year deal. People seem to forget that he turns 33 next April before his new deal will even kick in. I think Burrows is a great player but his age and the style he plays is going to catch up with him sooner rather then later. I am not one who thinks he is worth $5M a year for 6 years... and I also believe he took a pay cut signing a 4yr $2M per extension last time. Regardless if he played with the Sedin's or not has nothing to do with statistical negotiations. His numbers had him easily in the $3M-$4M range yet he wanted to stay. This time around he will be swinging for the fences. Bank on it
Personally, I'd rather have a 33+ year old working his a*** off most shifts than a 23+ year old sitting on his butt many nights (re: Grabner). As mentioned, this team needs MORE players with this work ethic (eg., Hansen) - not less.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Personally, I'd rather have a 33+ year old working his a*** off most shifts than a 23+ year old sitting on his butt many nights (re: Grabner). As mentioned, this team needs MORE players with this work ethic (eg., Hansen) - not less.
Seems to be something of a false dilemma..

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
I still maintain Mitchell had the hometown hero attitude. He had issues with Vignault, Kessler, Raymond and O'Brien that we know about. He just read too many hockey hero comes home clippings and not being signed knocked him down a peg and made him more of a team guy in LA.
My opinion and I know it's unpopular so have at it.

And on topic about Burr's worth, how many Canucks were invited to Team Canada
Mitchell did not sig ntill aug 25 ...there were questions up until mid aug that he wouldnt play the comiing year.

van couldnt wait (like it did at trade deadline)for him to get healthy`

they trade for Ballard and sign Hamhuis....... little cap room let alone two year contract for Mitchell.....if mitchell had been healthy he would have been resigned...timing sucked but thats what happened

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:48 PM
JuniorNelson

I think Burrows should get re-signed when the CBA is a known quantity. Two or three years at four million, I am guessing. It depends on the Sedins. I'd like to platoon Burrows with Tootoo. I think this would bring an added element to the line-up, LOL! The op would never know if the little speedy guy is going to hit or not!

Edler is going to be the number one here when Salo doesn't play any more. He's a keeper, for Gillis. I think a partner for him is the biggest need on Defense. Gillis ought to re-sign him now, it isn't like there are a ton of prospects banging on the door.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:56 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Burrows is going to command money and security, he has every right too and.

He's just not worth paying 5million$ for, though. If I were Gillis, I'd probably pay him 9million$ over 2 years at most, but that's a severe underpayment.

I also see Burrows leaving in the future.

shortshorts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Vajakki

2 year extension is probably the maximum Burrows would get and I don't think he will be re-signed at all if he wants 3.5+ million. He's barely a 20 goalscorer without the Sedins and while he plays great with them, he can be replaced. He's not exactly very fast or big player either. Sure he is smart like the Sedins but they are all getting older too.

Edler is a no-brainer. Definitely will be signed, something around 5 million I'd guess.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:30 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Burrows' value got up a notch when the team lost Samuelsson. I partly hope that Burrows can be signed and traded, partly I am afraid that our top 6 will suffer by that and we get someone "almost a top 6", or at least not a fit with the Sedins. In Gillis I trust, I primarily hope the Lou affair give us some intricate trade with a real nice outcome.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:36 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Burrows is going to command money and security, he has every right too and.

He's just not worth paying 5million$ for, though. If I were Gillis, I'd probably pay him 9million$ over 2 years at most, but that's a severe underpayment.

I also see Burrows leaving in the future.
This is just it. We all know what Burrows brings to the table. It's just not $5M+ per year on a crazy 6yr or longer deal. His age and size can't be overlooked and players who play his style of game break down faster then most. Which is why I also don't think him being re-signed is a slam dunk. I see him leaving as well either by trade or walking away.

Keeping Burrows shouldn't come at a cost of hurting the Canucks long term. People around here are always talking about long term, well, long term keeping Burrows might actually be hurting the Canucks if he's playing on the 3rd-4th line making $4.5-$5M a season. People can't seem to wrap their head around this.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:46 PM
crazyforhockey

the great thing about burrows is tha the can play either style...on the top line or by playing on the checking line

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 PM
KesGold17

It would be completely foolish not to resign Burrows. He has scored around 30 gpg for the last few years and is a key guy in the locker room. Burrows is a team player, versatile, draws penalties, penalty kills and complements the Sedins. Not to mention he's scored the biggest and most clutch goals in Vancouver Canucks history. He should be resigned and retire a Canuck.

KesGold17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I think Edler is a lock to be re-signed regardless of what the new CBA looks like but I have this feeling that Burrows won't be. I see him being traded. He will be 32 next April and I just don't see Gillis signing a 32yr old undersized forward to a $4+M deal. I have no issues with Burrows at all but this is just a feeling I have.

Since when is 6'1, 190 undersized?

14s incisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
It really hurt the career of St. Louis didn't it.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
lefty2time*

Edler
Age / $$
26 - 7 million
27 - 7 million
28 - 6 million
29 - 6 million
30 - 5 million
31 - 5 million
32 - 3 million
33 - 3 million
34 - 2 million
35 - 1 million

4.5 million cap hit....seems pretty fair imo... Edler being a 4.5 million dollar dman at 35 years old is more than acceptable risk considering you get his prime at only 4.5

Burrows 4 years
31 yrs old - 4 million
32 yrs old - 4 million
33 yrs old - 3 million
34 yrs old - 3 million
35 yrs old - 1 million

Cap hit is 3 million...which is a slightly above what you pay a bottom 6 grinder ....which is what he'll be at 35 years old....

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14s incisor View Post
Since Dmen became giants. In the NHL Burrows is undersized. When was the last time you saw Burrows on the ice and he didn't look small? I am not questioning his heart but sooner or later his style of game will catch up with him and no way should he be signed to a crazy long term deal worth $5M a season. That is all I am saying.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It really hurt the career of St. Louis didn't it.
A St. Louis Burrows is not. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most Vancouver fans can never be honest about their own players. Nobody is saying Burrows isn't a great player, he's just not $5M per on a long term deal great. Not at his age and size. Agree or disagree, that is my opinion.