Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft - Part III |4PM PST|

Old
06-12-2012, 06:49 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Some of my impressions.

Dumba has some big potential and a great work ethic, passion for the game, and attitude. Punishing hitter, great skater. Questions about hockey sense and defense. May be a little small for his punishing style. Shoots right.

Rielly has the highest offensive potential. He and Dumba are up there for best skaters. Great passing, tremendous hockey sense. Risky as he missed most of the season.

Reinhart is a big guy. Don't know a whole lot. I think supposed to be pretty balanced. Leaves you wanting more physically with his size. Skates pretty well for his size. Toolsy, but not that effective up until recently. Seems to have had a great playoffs and is shooting up.

Trouba's the guy I want most (other than Murray who we won't get). Pretty physical, but as much as Dumba. Good size. Balanced player. Good defensively. Not a lot of weaknesses. Shoots right. Good hockey sense.

Murray is probably gone before our pick. Very safe. Hasn't shown much offensively yet, but he has the tools. Really safe to have an NHL career. Really good hockey sense, really good defensively. Some question his upside, but I'm not worried.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Some of my impressions.

Dumba has some big potential and a great work ethic, passion for the game, and attitude. Punishing hitter, great skater. Questions about hockey sense and defense. May be a little small for his punishing style. Shoots right.

Rielly has the highest offensive potential. He and Dumba are up there for best skaters. Great passing, tremendous hockey sense. Risky as he missed most of the season.

Reinhart is a big guy. Don't know a whole lot. I think supposed to be pretty balanced. Leaves you wanting more physically with his size. Skates pretty well for his size. Toolsy, but not that effective up until recently. Seems to have had a great playoffs and is shooting up.

Trouba's the guy I want most (other than Murray who we won't get). Pretty physical, but as much as Dumba. Good size. Balanced player. Good defensively. Not a lot of weaknesses. Shoots right. Good hockey sense.

Murray is probably gone before our pick. Very safe. Hasn't shown much offensively yet, but he has the tools. Really safe to have an NHL career. Really good hockey sense, really good defensively. Some question his upside, but I'm not worried.
Pretty much agree with everything here. I think i would want Dumba ahead of Trouba though.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

vCash: 69

I really doubt Thrower is there at 36 but if he is the Ducks should waste no time in picking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duari91 View Post
I never really follow the draft stuff until around this point. Not sure if it has been discussed before, but which Dman that we have a chance in getting, will have the best chance of making the greatest impact at the NHL level? I don't necessarily mean "potential", but the player who has the best overall ability as of right NOW.
Ryan Murray hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Pretty much agree with everything here. I think i would want Dumba ahead of Trouba though.
I'm back and forth on this one. Dumba has the higher upside...but...Trouba seriously doesn't get enough credit. He's almost as good as Murray is if not as good right now, and he can get better too.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Very interesting comments by Murray. Can't take too much from them, but to rule out Teravainen and Forsberg(unless they don't think they'll get one or both) is fairly revealing. Tough to infer, but I'm guessing Grigorenko's right in their wheelhouse, he's the only center that's likely to drop(I really can't see Gally dropping anymore).

And, oh yeah, our second pick just got a tad better(or knowing our staff stayed the same, but whatevs) with New Jersey forfeiting their first rounder.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:36 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Trouba over Dumba because you can't do this with Dumba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
Very interesting comments by Murray. Can't take too much from them, but to rule out Teravainen and Forsberg(unless they don't think they'll get one or both) is fairly revealing. Tough to infer, but I'm guessing Grigorenko's right in their wheelhouse, he's the only center that's likely to drop(I really can't see Gally dropping anymore).

And, oh yeah, our second pick just got a tad better(or knowing our staff stayed the same, but whatevs) with New Jersey forfeiting their first rounder.
I think Teravainen was a center, but played wing this year to ease into the men's league?

Old
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Trouba over Dumba because you can't do this with Dumba.

I think Teravainen was a center, but played wing this year to ease into the men's league?
I heard that as well, but I imagine most teams are drafting him as a winger. They've only seen him on the wing(or mostly have) and he's pretty small. So, when Murray rules out wingers, I figure he's ruling out Tuevo as well, but we'll see in a couple weeks.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Where are these Murray comments?

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Where are these Murray comments?
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=10067

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I don't see anything in that article that talks about specific draft players, unless I'm blind.

I think I took a four day nap.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

The the Ducks draft board should look something like this , based on talent and need.

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Dumba
5) Forsberg
6) Reinhart
7) Grigorenko
8) Trouba
9) Maata
10) Lindholm

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
I don't see anything in that article that talks about specific draft players, unless I'm blind.

I think I took a four day nap.
He didn't, all he said was we would get a centre or defenseman if we kept the 6th pick.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
He didn't, all he said was we would get a centre or defenseman if we kept the 6th pick.
My lack of blindness is comforting at least.

I was referring to this though:

Quote:

Old
06-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Static

Wait, is it because those two aren't centers? Man, naps are pretty much drugs.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
My lack of blindness is comforting at least.

I was referring to this though:
Well if you interpret his statement as "we won't take a winger," then that might rule out Forsberg and TT.

But I interpret it more as "a D or C is what's projected best available at #6."

Don't do naps, mmkay?

Old
06-12-2012, 08:54 PM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Forsberg and Teravainen know how to play center. That could factor in...just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
The the Ducks draft board should look something like this , based on talent and need.

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Dumba
5) Forsberg
6) Reinhart
7) Grigorenko
8) Trouba
9) Maata
10) Lindholm

That'd be my list. Grigorenko is way too low. Centers are an absolute necessity. Lindholm overrated. He's good but I'd take Rielly, Finn, and Ceci before him.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
This is where I'm at. The only defenseman at the U-18 tournament that drew my attention more than him was Seth Jones. He's my first choice amongst the defensemen.

I've shied away from Reinhart after watching him at the Memorial Cup. I won't complain if we pick him at all, since it's not that unusual for a great defenseman to have an underwhelming tournament(Fowler was overshadowed, too), but I'm not as confident in him as I was before.

While I'm impressed with Murray, I hope someone else takes him. I think he's one of the safer bets I've seen amongst defensemen, but I'd rather see us take a gamble on guys that will need some development. I think the reward will be greater.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Your quoting just that section of my post makes me realize I missed a word. Trouba is not as physical as Dumba. That was probably pretty obvious to people who have been studying the prospects, but not to others.

I think Murray has more upside than people are saying. Safe does not necessarily mean little upside.

For Dmen for me it's 1) Murray 2) Trouba 3) Dumba 4) Reinhart 5) Ceci 6) Rielly

Old
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Jesus Teemu

Yeah, Seth is a tremendous talent and an awesome athlete as well. Too bad our sucking wasn't shifted back one year.

Jesus Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Your quoting just that section of my post makes me realize I missed a word. Trouba is not as physical as Dumba. That was probably pretty obvious to people who have been studying the prospects, but not to others.

I think Murray has more upside than people are saying. Safe does not necessarily mean little upside.

Trouba is physical, though.

My comment about Murray wasn't meant to mean that he has no upside. I just didn't see a guy that I expect to be a number one. Maybe if I watched him more I'd see things differently, and I trust our scouts to make the right determination there.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Well if you interpret his statement as "we won't take a winger," then that might rule out Forsberg and TT.

But I interpret it more as "a D or C is what's projected best available at #6."

Don't do naps, mmkay?
That's certainly a good way to interpret it, but when there's basically three positions to choose from(no goalies merit being picked there), mentioning two and not the other seems oddly bold. Especially when there are definitely two wingers who fit right in there. But, of course, saying anything that isn't vague is fairly bold in itself, especially to a group of fans, and with Murray, you never know what's up.

As for the defensemen, I have zero issues with Reinhart's bad Mem cup. Another poster kind of explained it, how the Oil Kings basically gassed their top D in the WHL finals, and that sort of thing isn't a big deal. Part of Fowler dropping was things such as a slow second half in the OHL and a so-so Mem cup. His physicality, or lack thereof, I don't think is too big of an issue either, again same thing with Fowler and Reinhart seems like he'll be a very good all-around d-man.

As for Murray, I don't believe this is a case where his main selling point is he's safe so people assume he doesn't have much upside(sort of like if a girl's main selling point is that she's funny so you know she's not hot), but rather than his main pro is he's safe and the big con is a lack of upside. We obviously don't know the actual teams' lists, but his upside must still be pretty damn good if he's going to go this high. Then again, this is the same thing that happened with Brandon Gormley, and he took a bit of a tumble. Murray's a huge mystery for me, guess we'll fine out on the 22nd.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:02 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf View Post
His physicality, or lack thereof, I don't think is too big of an issue either, again same thing with Fowler and Reinhart seems like he'll be a very good all-around d-man.
Yeah well the difference is that Fowler is excellent in other areas despite a lack of physicality. Reinhart is just...good enough. Not like Trouba, Dumba, and Murray. yet. I mean anything can happen, but Reinhart's biggest selling point is his size. Just like Oleksiak last year. I'm convinced that if Oleksiak was the same player but 3 inches shorter he'd be a mid second round pick. That's an extreme example as far as Reinhart goes, but the Memorial Cup excuse isn't valid. I watched 5 Edmonton games this year because I knew Reinhart and Samuelsson were prospects to watch. There was almost no difference.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah well the difference is that Fowler is excellent in other areas despite a lack of physicality. Reinhart is just...good enough. Not like Trouba, Dumba, and Murray. yet. I mean anything can happen, but Reinhart's biggest selling point is his size. Just like Oleksiak last year. I'm convinced that if Oleksiak was the same player but 3 inches shorter he'd be a mid second round pick. That's an extreme example as far as Reinhart goes, but the Memorial Cup excuse isn't valid. I watched 5 Edmonton games this year because I knew Reinhart and Samuelsson were prospects to watch. There was almost no difference.
I agree his size is a huge selling point, but his lack of physicality for his size seems to be his only con. Really, there isn't a lot bad you hear about him. Reinhart just seems to be a great all-around defenseman, and physicality is something that can definitely be fixed. What he seems to have, which also seems to be a lot better than the other defensemen save for Murray, is a very high hockey IQ, hence why he doesn't need to play physical(Niedermayer didn't either). That's something that Dumba and Trouba appear to be lacking, which isn't a great sign. IQ is also ridiculously tough to see, especially in a small sample, so I'm not surprised you didn't think he looked great in a few game sample.

The color guy for the Blades ranks him just below Murray, and doesn't have a lot of bad to say, so not knocking you or your scouting abilities, but I'll definitely trust him a little more haha.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:39 AM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post

1) Yakupov
2) Murray
3) Galchenyuk
4) Dumba
5) Forsberg
6) Reinhart
7) Grigorenko
8) Trouba
9) Maata
10) Lindholm

LOL.... Biggest need center. Grigorenko is easily top 2 in talent if not number 1. This isn't just because i've been riding his jock strap this whole time either.. I understand peoples concerns about Grigs but talent is certainly not the reason for concern. Lol.... To say your rankings are based off talent and need and then have Grigorenko 7th is really really funny.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
DuckJet
#iamsorry

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Adam-...ound/155/44907

Apparently Grigorenko is 27 years old.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:36 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:

BPA
Murray
Dumba
Trouba
Rielly
Reinhart

Pretty close

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
LOL.... Biggest need center. Grigorenko is easily top 2 in talent if not number 1. This isn't just because i've been riding his jock strap this whole time either.. I understand peoples concerns about Grigs but talent is certainly not the reason for concern. Lol.... To say your rankings are based off talent and need and then have Grigorenko 7th is really really funny.
Ya I agree. I think There is no chance he is lower then 3rd in talent. It all just depends on the Russian factor.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote