HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players you would like to see Detroit draft

Old
06-11-2012, 08:41 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Mean and nasty blueliners from rural sakatchewan doesnt mean talentless bums as long as they have size... I swear the last few years the wings got a bunch of fans because theyre a soft team with a lot of Europeans.

Were you a fan in the late 90s even?
Yes I was. But there are elements of this board who think as long as we can fight, we're fine.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Yes I was. But there are elements of this board who think as long as we can fight, we're fine.
who thinks that?

who thinks that it would be a great or even good idea to fill out the roster with 22 george parros?

has anyone said anything even remotely close to this?

Zetterberg4Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:20 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
who thinks that?

who thinks that it would be a great or even good idea to fill out the roster with 22 george parros?

has anyone said anything even remotely close to this?
No kidding. The soft skill lovers (which detroit has plenty) get their panties in a bunch when someone says the wings could use some more nastiness on the team and assume it means sign a roster full of goons.

No its called getting balance on the team, Detroit is soft as butter and cant wear down any teams with their current roster. The drafting has started to actually address that problem and the front office has mentioned it as well

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
No kidding. The soft skill lovers (which detroit has plenty) get their panties in a bunch when someone says the wings could use some more nastiness on the team and assume it means sign a roster full of goons.

No its called getting balance on the team, Detroit is soft as butter and cant wear down any teams with their current roster. The drafting has started to actually address that problem and the front office has mentioned it as well
given the city we live in and the history of our franchise, its actually disgusting that we dont have one actual tough guy in our lineup

Old
06-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
If we draft a Swede, I would like us to go after Emil Lundberg. He's 6'4" 210lbs, scored at the same pace as Filip Forsberg this season in the Swedish tier2. Only difference is that he's almost a full year older(missed last year's draft with only two days). With a frame and skillset like that that he has the chance to be really good with time. He can probably go anywhere from the 1st to 3rd round.
Would be awsome if so, since he's a neighbour to me. I mean that would be kind of cool wouldnt it?
Emil have had a good year with the U19 Swedish team. Hopefully he can have a great year next year with SSK.

Last edited by Tomas W: 06-12-2012 at 03:47 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Samuelsson is a power forward, Rakell is not that physical. Rakell has some more offensive upside I'd say.

It's his skating that is holding him away from being a very high pick.
I think Emil Lundberg got pretty decent skating ability. I've seen him outskate a lot of guys in the Swedish tier 2 (maybe not a big achievement though).

I would want him to be stronger (on the puck) if anything. He is big by nature, but could be even bigger, meaner and stronger. I'll try to tell him or his dad to work on his hits, both with and without the puck!

Last edited by Tomas W: 06-12-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
newfy

Quote:
given the city we live in and the history of our franchise, its actually disgusting that we dont have one actual tough guy in our lineup
I know and its even more funny when its suggested to get tougher that people have a melt down about it, meanwhile its perfectly acceptable to have guys like Emmerton on the roster lol

Old
06-12-2012, 05:19 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
I know and its even more funny when its suggested to get tougher that people have a melt down about it, meanwhile its perfectly acceptable to have guys like Emmerton on the roster lol
Prust would become a fan favorite. He can hit, fight, play defensive and PK.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
There are elements on this board who don't care if we have talent on the team, as long as we have size. I was not being dumb, rather, I was just responding to those elements.
Don't worry, I see what you're talking about.

We can all agree that if ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL, you take size. But too many teams make the mistake of passing the smaller player for a larger, less skilled guy.

It's this type of attitude that has Zach Bogosian (6'3", 220, American), Luke Schenn (6'2", 220, Canadian), and Colten Teubert (6'4", 200, Canadian) taken over Erik Karlsson (6', 180).

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Don't worry, I see what you're talking about.

We can all agree that if ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL, you take size. But too many teams make the mistake of passing the smaller player for a larger, less skilled guy.

It's this type of attitude that has Zach Bogosian (6'3", 220, American), Luke Schenn (6'2", 220, Canadian), and Colten Teubert (6'4", 200, Canadian) taken over Erik Karlsson (6', 180).
hahahaha jesus

you know sometimes, its those bigger less skilled guys who win you stanley cups

dustin brown or alex semin, hmmmm?

i take dustin brown every single day of the week and 10 times on sunday

the arguement is so moronic when people say its skilled euro or goon north american as though those are the only alternatives and the only schools of though

Old
06-12-2012, 06:07 PM
WesNichols14

Personally I would take Semin, but that's just me top 6 is for skill and bottom 6 is for Grit I think our issue is a combination of diminished skill, and a surplus of faux Grit, they are good in energy but don't have real physicality to make the difference. a few Real legit grinders (Moss, so on) and we could return to winning cups. and for god sake take Cleary and Burt of the 1st line

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:47 PM
hfboardsuser

Jujhar Khaira. Had a disappointing finish to the season in which his team, Prince George, was swept in the BCHL QFs. However, he's a big, raw kid with excellent size (6'3, 195 lbs) and skating ability. Had 79 points in 54 games. Late-born '94 to boot, so lots of developmental time ahead.

Definitely more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, and has added a chippy side to his game that was missing last year. He could easily be in the James Neal/Jamie Benn class of power forward at the next level. I think he's the darkhorse of this draft to emerge as a top 10-15 player from the class when all is said and done.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Jujhar Khaira. Had a disappointing finish to the season in which his team, Prince George, was swept in the BCHL QFs. However, he's a big, raw kid with excellent size (6'3, 195 lbs) and skating ability. Had 79 points in 54 games. Late-born '94 to boot, so lots of developmental time ahead.

Definitely more of a playmaker than a goal-scorer, and has added a chippy side to his game that was missing last year. He could easily be in the James Neal/Jamie Benn class of power forward at the next level. I think he's the darkhorse of this draft to emerge as a top 10-15 player from the class when all is said and done.
I think he is heading to Tech next season. Could be a good option.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:01 PM
newfy

Quote:

Some teams get scared of taking guys out of tier 2 jr A but it has worked out for teams in the past. Brendan Smith is an example for the wings but Coyle seems good and Jamie Benn is an up coming star

Old
06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
He's a similar player to Coyle. Both possess high-end skill to go along with their frames, but I find Khaira's a quicker straight-line skater. If he jumps to the WHL, I see 80 points easy.

Numbers are also close:

Coyle, EJHL- 42 GP, 21-42-63, 50 PIM
Khaira, BCHL- 54 GP, 29-50-79, 69 PIM
No knock on the EJHL, but the BCHL is a stronger league. What are the odds that Khaira is still around when the Wings pick in the third?

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
hfboardsuser

----

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 07-15-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
dustin brown or alex semin, hmmmm?

i take dustin brown every single day of the week and 10 times on sunday

the arguement is so moronic when people say its skilled euro or goon north american as though those are the only alternatives and the only schools of though
Let's review your post.

First you reduce my statement, which was trying to flesh out SoupNasty's opinion on skill vs. size, to a choice between Brown and Semin. Interesting comparison, by the way, since you picked one guy that just won the Cup vs. a guy who flamed out in the playoffs. Maybe you should have picked Kopitar vs Brown? Even then, ALL of those guys are pretty large. This was about skill vs. size, not skill, plus size, plus scoring ability... obviously if a guy has all of them, ala Kopitar or Kovalchuck, that's pretty awesome. The point was that a very skilled puck mover like Karlsson got picked in the middle of the 1st round because he was smaller and less physical than guys like Schenn and Bogosian. But it's pretty clear now Karlsson's worth is double either of those guys. That's the point. It's not black and white, no matter how hard you want to force it.

But I digress.

Then you continue by saying it's moronic to reduce it to a black or white choice. Moronic, eh? Well that's exactly what you did. Brown vs Semin. One or the other. Then you said it was moronic. Man, I don't know.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Let's review your post.

First you reduce my statement, which was trying to flesh out SoupNasty's opinion on skill vs. size, to a choice between Brown and Semin. Interesting comparison, by the way, since you picked one guy that just won the Cup vs. a guy who flamed out in the playoffs. Maybe you should have picked Kopitar vs Brown? Even then, ALL of those guys are pretty large. This was about skill vs. size, not skill, plus size, plus scoring ability... obviously if a guy has all of them, ala Kopitar or Kovalchuck, that's pretty awesome. The point was that a very skilled puck mover like Karlsson got picked in the middle of the 1st round because he was smaller and less physical than guys like Schenn and Bogosian. But it's pretty clear now Karlsson's worth is double either of those guys. That's the point. It's not black and white, no matter how hard you want to force it.

But I digress.

Then you continue by saying it's moronic to reduce it to a black or white choice. Moronic, eh? Well that's exactly what you did. Brown vs Semin. One or the other. Then you said it was moronic. Man, I don't know.
No not at all,

soupnasty made a comment(s) along the lines of "some fans would be happy if we didnt have talent, so long as we could fight" as though somehow its an either/or scenario.

your post made it seem like you agreed with him in that teams were passing up with top 15 picks smaller skilled euro guys like karlsson for big dumb slow north american guys like schenn which came across supporting his whole notion of skill vs size/toughness/fighters(or the either/or debate which i said was "moronic")

but this whole debate started with some people saying they wish to see detroit target and add a few more north american style players who by and large play a more gritty game who combine both SKILL and GRIT/TOUGHNESS/SIZE

as for my semin vs brown point, it was too show that its not a skill vs size/toughness debate as clearly semin is the more skilled guy but brown, who is also skilled, brings way more toughness and grit which were and are the exact attributes previous posters had said they wished to see us persue(to which was "moronically" reduced to an either/or debate)

Old
06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

How do you feel about Brenden Morrow?

Choose carefully, you will be judged.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
How do you feel about Brenden Morrow?

Choose carefully, you will be judged.
I like him and love hockey players like him

judge away

Old
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
I like him and love hockey players like him

judge away
Well, Dallas fans can't wait to shed his baggage. The dude can't pass, hold the puck, moves slow, and takes way more penalties than he draws. He's Ryan Smyth and like Smyth it won't be long until Dallas trades him for more than he's worth. And like Smyth leaving LA, the team will be better off when he's gone.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Well, Dallas fans can't wait to shed his baggage. The dude can't pass, hold the puck, moves slow, and takes way more penalties than he draws. He's Ryan Smyth and like Smyth it won't be long until Dallas trades him for more than he's worth. And like Smyth leaving LA, the team will be better off when he's gone.
and.....

what was the point of this?

was this a trick to see if i would prefer a 33 year old morrow to a 27 year old semin?

lame

very lame.....

Old
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
and.....

what was the point of this?

was this a trick to see if i would prefer a 33 year old morrow to a 27 year old semin?

lame

very lame.....
You're obsessed with Semin. I haven't brought him up in this thread once and you keep wanting to use him as the benchmark.

And the point was that Morrow is a good, hard-working Canadian boy, but he's also not helping his team much these days. He may play hard, but he's dumb as ****. The Stars will be better off without him, I honestly believe that.