HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

On the Leaf Board...Centre of the Universe...

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 04:21 AM
alecfromtherock

vCash: 500
Then CBC should sell the rights to TSN/ SN-E for all non-Toronto games on Saturday.

Montreal-whoever TSN
Ottawa-whoever SN-E

Toronto/Montreal or Ottawa:

Toronto/Montreal CBC
Toronto/Ottawa CBC

Montreal-Ottawa TSN
Interesting match Philly/Rangers/Devils SN

With some games being +/ 30:00 of the CBC game it would allow cable viewers to basically see 2 games before the 2nd part of HNIC double header.

Is there any reason that TSN does not broadcast Habs games when they have nothing else on?

If anything Montreal should challenge CBC in court for its Saturday Monopoly to allow TSN to broadcast habs games along side RDS.

Old
04-03-2006, 04:37 AM
Alpine

Hmmmmmm, has any-one thought that as much as we'd all love to see Habs on HNIC. That all any-one has to do is watch Radio-Canada or RDS and then tune in CJAD, which is available on the internet via NHL RADIO if English is necessary. This way we can let Leafs fans live with their belief that they are the only team in Canada
Wilson is a good commentator

Old
04-03-2006, 05:04 AM
mytor4*

i hope the cbc takes such a great hit on this that next yr they will think of putting on some good hockey to watch in stead of the same old crap team.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:42 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
if Montreal arent in the playoffs, i dont watch them either.
Thats terrible. Arnt you a hockey fan. I love the game if the Sens missed the playoffs or get kicked out I still watch the playoffs. Playoff hockey is the best brand of hockey we get to see. I guess your a Habs fan and not a hockey fan. Too each his own I guess.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:19 AM
pepperMonkey

Are we on this subject again?
CBC is here to make money. It's a business. It's not here for charity. As such it would do what it must to make the most amount of money as possible. This means, as much as we may hate it, to show as much Leafs hockey as possible. The fact remains that the Leafs, no matter how bad they are, will draw in more fans than any other hockey team in the NHL. Heck, they were selling out their arena for every single game WHILE they were a bottom feeder team in the 80's (albeit, probably because of corporate ticket buyers). We know the Habs can't do that, we know no other team can do that. Leafs nation is just one of those obscure phenomenons where normal business laws (i.e. having a winning team draws more fans then a losing one) just doesn't work.
Now if you were CBC, you could
1) Show only some of the Leafs games (and lose out on some Leafs revenue) and also give more attention to the other teams
2) Show all the Leafs games and give the other teams second fiddle

Considering one of these options makes a heck of a lot more money, which would you do? Which would seem like a better business choice? Remember, this is to make more money, not charity.
As long as the Leafs remains a cash cow, you KNOW which option CBC is going to take. Tragedy yes, but also reality.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86
Thats terrible. Arnt you a hockey fan. I love the game if the Sens missed the playoffs or get kicked out I still watch the playoffs. Playoff hockey is the best brand of hockey we get to see. I guess your a Habs fan and not a hockey fan. Too each his own I guess.
I agree with you. I'm used to not seeing the Habs get very far in the playoffs or even make the playoffs at all, so I usually pick another team to follow and I ALWAYS watch the Stanley Cup Finals. However, I'll be able to watch the whole Habs playoff run as they hoist the Stanley Cup this year and watch Huet receive the Conn Smythe trophy.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Pats Habs

Somewhat on topic, I sent CBC an e-mail on Friday simply asking if they would be showing the Habs/Devils game this coming Saturday (8th) rather than the pointless Leafs/Flyers game, since their schedule does have the 'subject to change' note on it.

Shocked and surprised as I am, I have yet to hear from them.

BTW, as an anglo living in NS, without RDS, I don't mind watching the RDS feed to SRC on Saturday nights. BUT, the point is that the CBC should carry important, pivotal games at this time of year. If the Leafs were only a couple points out, I'd concur. But, they are technically already eliminated.

Last edited by Pats Habs: 04-03-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old
04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey
Are we on this subject again?
CBC is here to make money. It's a business.
If CBC were like any other privately-owned business I'd agree with you. But it isn't. CBC is taxpayer-funded to the tune of something like a billion bucks a year. It's our national broadcaster, with a legislated mandate to air programming of interest to all Canadians, not just Maple Leafs fans. In that light, it is simply wrong for CBC to push the Maple Leafs the way they do and virtually ignore the Canadiens and Senators all season.

I don't even see how this is arguable, but then I've come to the conclusion that Maple Leafs fans are beyond reason.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
The article for anyone objective enough to read it:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044442957278

and here you go:

Quote:
Whether or not it makes any sense, the fact is the Leafs drive hockey ratings in this country. CBC's early game, almost exclusively featuring the Leafs, is averaging 1.4 million. That's 450,000 more than the late game.
This is not all that objective. The late game will have less of an audience because it is the late game--not because of the teams playing. I'd wager if the Canucks were consistently shown in the prime-time 7pm slot, and the Leafs regularly shown in the 10pm slot, the early game would still be leading the way in ratings.

Quote:
The Leafs' 10 appearances on TSN have averaged 943,000 viewers, almost double the channel's NHL average of 491,000 this year.

This also does not strike me as objective reporting. TSN shows many games which have two American teams playing. In April, for example, of the 8 games being shown: Dallas/Detroit, Detroit/Minnesota, Buffalo/Carolina are three of the eight games shown.

Games which do not include a Canadian team will automatically have a smaller audience in Canada, thus lower the average. So it's not objective reporting to show the average ratings for Leafs games vs the average ratings in general. Compare it to the average ratings a Canuck game gets on TSN.

Further, comments like this in the article lead to my thinking it is not an objective piece:

Quote:
[Discussing high-ratings of the TB/Calgary Final] ... But the Leafs played two playoff rounds that season and no doubt created enough interest that fans hung on through the final.
This is nonsense. Claiming the Finals received the audience it did because the Leafs went (marginally) deep into the playoffs is just ridiculous. Not to mention there are no facts to back this opinion.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Mike8

Quote:
CBC is here to make money. It's a business.
No, it is not.

Quote:
This means, as much as we may hate it, to show as much Leafs hockey as possible.
No, it does not. The end-result is what this entire topic of discussion is (or should be) looking at: with Toronto not in the playoffs, CBC will be missing out on revenue.

Why? Not because Toronto is insanely popular, but because there is no substantial following in Toronto of other hockey clubs. This isn't because Torontonians are any less fanatics of hockey than every other part of the country, but because Leaf fans are exposed to less hockey (outside of Leaf hockey).

CBC is shooting itself in the foot by 'riding' the Leafs so much.

Quote:
The fact remains that the Leafs, no matter how bad they are, will draw in more fans than any other hockey team in the NHL.
Except when the Leafs aren't in the playoffs, which is where TV ratings will be at its peak and most important.

Quote:
Heck, they were selling out their arena for every single game WHILE they were a bottom feeder team in the 80's (albeit, probably because of corporate ticket buyers).
This has nothing to do with TV ratings.

Quote:
We know the Habs can't do that, we know no other team can do that.
Ticket-sales for Montreal in the late '90s/early 2000s disagree with you.

Quote:
Leafs nation is just one of those obscure phenomenons where normal business laws (i.e. having a winning team draws more fans then a losing one) just doesn't work.
Sure it does. Let's go through this again:

Toronto not being in the playoffs equals limited revenue, even if the ACC is filled during the entire regular season.

Quote:
Now if you were CBC, you could
1) Show only some of the Leafs games (and lose out on some Leafs revenue) and also give more attention to the other teams
2) Show all the Leafs games and give the other teams second fiddle

Considering one of these options makes a heck of a lot more money, which would you do?
First of all, I'd present an objective choice. Note the predicament CBC is in for the playoff drive? That is a direct result of their choice of going with your number-two.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Teufelsdreck

I don't particularly enjoy Leafs broadcasts because the announcers are so smarmy.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:33 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
I don't particularly enjoy Leafs broadcasts because the announcers are so smarmy.
OK: smarmy = sycophantic, grovelling and creepy

This is a good word, given the state of decomposition.

Old
04-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Hmmmm, yeahhh, he really cranks it up.

Like when he says "that's a shot from 59 and a half feet out" as opposed to saying " that's a shot from 59 feet out". That type of thing usually has me rolling around the floor.

Neale adds nothing of interest, no matter who he's working with. I just can't fathom how he and Cole continue to be paid.

Oh wait... It's CBC!

To each their own i guess.

Old
04-03-2006, 11:08 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine
Hmmmmmm, has any-one thought that as much as we'd all love to see Habs on HNIC. That all any-one has to do is watch Radio-Canada or RDS and then tune in CJAD, which is available on the internet via NHL RADIO if English is necessary. This way we can let Leafs fans live with their belief that they are the only team in Canada
Wilson is a good commentator

That is a perfect idea for the people that do not have one or most of the following.
(a) More than basic cable
(b) More than just a TV with an antenna
(b) Tons of people do not have the internet
(c) RDS can be expensive for some families

Old
04-03-2006, 11:25 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
If CBC were like any other privately-owned business I'd agree with you. But it isn't. CBC is taxpayer-funded to the tune of something like a billion bucks a year. It's our national broadcaster, with a legislated mandate to air programming of interest to all Canadians, not just Maple Leafs fans. In that light, it is simply wrong for CBC to push the Maple Leafs the way they do and virtually ignore the Canadiens and Senators all season.

I don't even see how this is arguable, but then I've come to the conclusion that Maple Leafs fans are beyond reason.

err...when did I EVER mention that I was a Leafs fan?
And besides, just because I can see where they are coming from, that does not mean I agree with them.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
The end-result is what this entire topic of discussion is (or should be) looking at: with Toronto not in the playoffs, CBC will be missing out on revenue.
Don't get me wrong, I don't dissagree with you. I just think they took that gamble, and hopefully they are now wishing they didn't.

Quote:
Why? Not because Toronto is insanely popular, but because there is no substantial following in Toronto of other hockey clubs. This isn't because Torontonians are any less fanatics of hockey than every other part of the country, but because Leaf fans are exposed to less hockey (outside of Leaf hockey).
That is the same in all locations. Montreal will expose more Habs than other teams. Vancouver will expose more Canucks compared to others. That is normal. Although I would say there are a lot of Habs fan in T.O.

Quote:
CBC is shooting itself in the foot by 'riding' the Leafs so much.
I'm not dissagreeing with you.

Quote:
Except when the Leafs aren't in the playoffs, which is where TV ratings will be at its peak and most important.
You are correct but you may be underestimating all the chumps in T.O. watching Leafs games...
Or rather, the number of chumps in T.O. watching Leafs games.
Ontario consists of about 40% of the population of Canada, and I would hazard a guess that there are more Leafs fan than any other team (in Ontario) by a substantial amount. With that in mind, I'm guessing that CBC feels they will service more Canadians (or get more money, whatever) by getting to their biggest demographic area.
I don't agree with this thought but I would think that is what they are doing.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with TV ratings.
Alright. I may be wrong with it being all about money but I'm not so convinced about the TV ratings bit. If no one watched CBC, I doubt they would still be around no matter how much money they may be getting from the country. This is not to say I agree with what CBC is doing. Far from it. Lately I have been pissed with their coverage in sports in general. Take the Olympics. It has been vastly annoying to realize (imo) that the US coverage of the games were more complete than CBC this year. Same with Hockey, and frankly everything the CBC is doing lately. But just like hockey, they probably feel they will get greater viewership by pimping to the majority viewership. Annoying to no end.

Quote:
Ticket-sales for Montreal in the late '90s/early 2000s disagree with you.
Umm, I don't think the Habs have ever EVER owned suckage as the Leafs have in the 80's (thank god). The leafs were fighting for bottom place and you still could not get seats for those games. Plus the fact that leafs ticket are one of the most expensive NHL tickets to be had if not the most.

Quote:
Sure it does. Let's go through this again:

Toronto not being in the playoffs equals limited revenue, even if the ACC is filled during the entire regular season.
You are correct, it is limiting it's resources but they may feel that they are still getting ahead by gambling with the Leafs. Sad really.

Old
04-04-2006, 08:18 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
err...when did I EVER mention that I was a Leafs fan?
And besides, just because I can see where they are coming from, that does not mean I agree with them.
Fair enough; poor wording on my part. I've read a few of the CBC/HNIC threads on the Leafs board and they seem bemused by the idea that they should have to share the spotlight with any of the other Canadian teams. Like we're just being jealous kid brothers and we shouldn't worry our little heads about it; run along home to mommy, the Leafs own CBC and that's all there is to say about it.

Reading some of the comments in there after 3/11 was a real eye-opener. There's just no arguing with a Leafs fan when it comes to CBC.

Old
04-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Leafs won't be monopolizing the CBC broadcasts for very long. The regular season will end in less than 2 weeks. Then their fans wll have to wait approximately 24 weeks to see les feuilles mortes reconstituted from the compost heap.

Old
04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

It is hard to argue that Toronto isn't the centre of the HOCKEY universe. Everytime a Leafs player does anything, someone here starts a thread on it, ie the Darcy Tucker hit on Jochen Hecht. Fortunately I missed the thread on Alexei Ponikarovsky's bowel movement, but did here that you "guys" thought it was overrated.

Closed Thread