HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs-Kings

Old
06-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Duncanmac81

vCash: 500
Leafs-Kings

First off this trade only happens if the Kings know that Penner isn't going to resign with the team, else why include him.

Jonathan Bernier
Dustin Penner UFA rights

Luke Schenn

Burke gets a good young goalie that can challenge Reimer for playing time, along with big Dustin Penner, who has history with Joffrey Lupul from their time in Anaheim.
Kings get a good defensive defensmen in Schenn, who could play with Doughty next year or on the second line with Voynov.

Good return for Kings for a goalie who isn't much use to the Kings right now with Quick manning the cage and a player who may not return

Possible add for the Leafs is the Rights to 'The Monster' if you feel something must be added

AND LET IT BE KNOWN I AM NOT A LEAFS FAN

Duncanmac81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:24 PM
sbertram2000
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanmac81 View Post
First off this trade only happens if the Kings know that Penner isn't going to resign with the team, else why include him.

Jonathan Bernier
Dustin Penner UFA rights

Luke Schenn

Burke gets a good young goalie that can challenge Reimer for playing time, along with big Dustin Penner, who has history with Joffrey Lupul from their time in Anaheim.
Kings get a good defensive defensmen in Schenn, who could play with Doughty next year or on the second line with Voynov.

Good return for Kings for a goalie who isn't much use to the Kings right now with Quick manning the cage and a player who may not return

Possible add for the Leafs is the Rights to 'The Monster' if you feel something must be added

I hate the leafs but they need a better proven goalie than Bernier.

sbertram2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Considering Schenn is only 22 years old I don't think the Leafs should be in a rush to trade him. Plus I am not sure if they want to include him for Bernier because he only played 15 games this past season and hasn't proven himself to be a #1 Goalie. I got nothing against him, just going by the facts. As for Penner I wouldn't be upset if the Leafs thought about going after him as a UFA, however if they can wait to July 1st why should they give up anything just for his rights.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Fair trade.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:38 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

In a heartbeat, I think this is unfair for L.A.

S2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:44 PM
The Newfoundlander
Registered Troll

vCash: 652
No from Toronto. I'm interested in adding Penner to our roster. However, I don't want anything to do with Bernier. Could be Toskalol 2.0

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:46 PM
KingCanadain1976

lol no thanks from the kings. They have no need for scheen and they may try to resign penner if parise dont sign with the kings

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:47 PM
TheSilencer

Done.
Nice doing business with you

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Fair value, but there is no reason why LA does this..

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Schenn isn't the right fit to crack the Kings defence

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:59 PM
MRichards10

We have enough D atm

MRichards10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Don't think it's a good fit as the Kings already have their six D set and locked up. Don't think they will look to alter the look of one of the top defensive units in the NHL.

The Kings may look to acquire a 2nd line LW if Penner departs.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:21 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

IMHO Neither Penner nor Bernier are the answer to any questions that currently vex the Leafs

so no

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:27 PM
cnshockey
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Kings have zero use for Schenn.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
symbology

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Kings have zero use for Schenn.
ZERO!!!!!!!

Kings farm is still stock full of nice D prospects. Kings just do not need another D at all. Not at all............

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Ollie Weeks

Has Schenn fallen completely apart? We've got a really good group as is, but adding him would be an interesting move for our long term benefit.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:46 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

I'm an LA fan and I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Ideally I'd probably prefer to get a young winger with some scoring upside, but I'd take Schenn for Bernier in a heartbeat. I've always felt Schenn has been vastly underrated and over-criticized.

Schenn will be 23 in November. He's barely scratching the surface of what he will be. His game has been picked to pieces in Toronto because they spent a top 5 pick on him and want him to be the next Pietrangelo or Subban or Fowler or Doughty. He's not that type of offensive threat but I absolutely love what he brings to the table in his own zone, from a physical standpoint, and in terms of upside.

He kind of reminds me of a young Brent Seabrook. Big and physical with some questions about his skating and offensive potential. Took Seabrook a few years to put it all together but now he's a great all around defenseman that many teams would love to have. I could see the same happening with Schenn.

LA could use another big physical young stud on D after dealing away Jack Johnson in the Carter deal. Mitchell and Scuderi have been EXCELLENT for this team but they are not getting any younger. Mitchell is 35 and Scuderi will be 34 in December, so even if Schenn is just more of a "stay at home" defenseman for the time being, that's fine.

Mitchell signed a two year extension, but how much longer can you expect him to log a ton of heavy minutes at the ages of 35 and 36 as his career is winding down? Rob Scuderi's deal is up after the 2012-13 season, and is it a wise investment to look into re-signing a guy who will be 35 in the upcoming season, especially with Dean Lombardi always talking about getting younger while getting better?

It'd be even better if Schenn was a left handed shot but that's not a deal breaker for me. Having him, Doughty, and Voynov all in their young 20's would be awesome.

As for Penner, it's important for LA fans not to fall in love with everyone after the Cup win. Yes, Penner upped his game in the playoffs and was a key part of the Kings winning the Cup, but he is someone I have NO INTEREST in bringing back.

Let's not forget that the guy was a dog for the better part of a year and a half, someone Sutter even called horsecrap, and likely only turned it on down the stretch in order to set himself up for a nice contract since he was a pending UFA. He's the type of guy that, if he gets a 4 year deal, will put it in cruise control and come into camp out of shape 3 out of the 4 years until he's in his next contract year. We do not need that at all.

I'd much rather go after Parise (obviously) or even Alexander Semin. I think a guy like Semin would flourish playing with a center like Kopitar or Richards, and would definitely help the power play. He wouldn't have to come to LA and be one of the "stars" that is over-scrutinized like he is in Washington. He'd add some speed and sniping that the Kings lacked during most of the regular season. Although I do wonder if he and Sutter would clash, I'd still kick the tires and see if you could sign him for a decent price after two disappointing seasons in Washington. The Kings still need some scoring on the wing going forward.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:02 AM
TOGuy14

No interest in Penner.

The guy has made a career of showing up just to get a new contract and then going beer league for the remainder of it. Not going to give him the $4M+ he is going to ask for.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:11 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanmac81 View Post

Jonathan Bernier
Dustin Penner UFA rights

Luke Schenn

The only thing Bernier has on Reimer is that he was drafted earlier ...and still not played much (though behind Quick that is understandable)

Leafs are looking for a Vet goalie, not a rookie.

this would be a non-starter for Toronto, and let not forget that Burke loves Luke Schenn

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Penner and Lupul played all of like 20 games together in Anaheim. Bit of a reach connecting those guys.

Schenn isnt good enough to crack the LA top 4. Dont see why LA does this.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
JackBauer

the Kings should trade Bernier for picks or prospects. they won the cup, they obviously don't have an immediate need for a roster player right now. Schenn's 22 but his ceiling is low and he'd be a #4 guy at best.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
IMHO Neither Penner nor Bernier are the answer to any questions that currently vex the Leafs

so no
Can you imagine Penner going through one of his 3 month slumps in Toronto?

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Johnny Bang Bang

Nah, the Leafs need a proven goalie and I doubt Penner is the same without the Kings' supporting cast.

I'd also like to seen Schenn, a physical shutdown d-man, play a full season under Carlyle's "defense first" system.

I expect a nice rebound season under Carlyle and that will only raise Schenn's value.

Johnny Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:33 AM
colchar

Why would the Leafs want another young, unproven goalie?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
damacles1156

Why are some Toronto fans so eager to rid the team of a young D man....

Schenn is a good young player, D men take longer to develop.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote