HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto and Phoenix

Old
06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffansince85 View Post
It's called Asset Management... Learn this phrase. ńsset Management..

Burke doesnt subscribe but hes going to have to if he ever wants to be noteworthy again.

After you move out Armstrong, Brown, Bozak and any other of those plugs not in the top six, as well as Komisarek, thats if and when you accomplish these things, then you look to move Lombardi.

Theres at least three contracts worse than Lombardis, because when healthy is an excellent bottom six third line player.

Then theres the matter of a 4th... a guy who put up 50 plus points two years ago should not go for a 4th if youre doing your job correctly.

Without being an nhl gm, I am fully confident I land a draft pick from 25-40 bare min for Lombardi. If he goes for anything less then said gm is a complete failure.

Please note Armstrong made about a million dollars a goal, and Phoenix is the last place that can add salary.

Wake up.
So because Lombardi got 46 points in 08-09 and 53 points in 09-10 he could fetch a pick in the 25-40 range now? Since then he missed an entire season due to concussion and got 18 points in the following season.

Poni got 61 points in 08-09 and 50 points in 09-10. He actually still played in each of the season since then, and he was traded for a 4th round pick this year. New Jersey must have gotten a steal because apparently getting 100 points over a span of 2 seasons a few season back and done nothing since warrants a late/early first/second rounder!

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
At this point the Leafs are better off keeping Lombardi and hoping he rebounds.

Unless we end up needing the cap space to make another deal we might as well head into the season with Lomardi with the hope that he can become the 3rd line center.
I agree. If we aren't going to get anything of significance for him theres no point moving him

Mansfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

Burke doesnt subscribe but hes going to have to if he ever wants to be noteworthy again.

After you move out Armstrong, Brown, Bozak and any other of those plugs not in the top six, as well as Komisarek, thats if and when you accomplish these things, then you look to move Lombardi.

Theres at least three contracts worse than Lombardis, because when healthy is an excellent bottom six third line player.

Then theres the matter of a 4th... a guy who put up 50 plus points two years ago should not go for a 4th if youre doing your job correctly.

Without being an nhl gm, I am fully confident I land a draft pick from 25-40 bare min for Lombardi. If he goes for anything less then said gm is a complete failure.

Please note Armstrong made about a million dollars a goal, and Phoenix is the last place that can add salary.

Wake up.
Lombardi is in no way shape or form a bottom 6 player. He is a 2nd line twiner that usually finds his game when he is the go to guy. There is no room in Toronto for him, and that 4+ mill can be used elsewhere, including the salary tied up in Komisarek, Connolly and Armstrong. None of the above are useful to the Leafs, and should be dumped whenever and wherever they can. One should not be prioritized if they are a more useful player because even not considering the cap they are still stealing a roster spot from those who deserve it more.

Lupul - Bozak/1st line C acquisition - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kadri
Kulemin - 5th overall - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schenn
Liles - Franson

Reimer
XXXX

Should be the Leafs going into next season, none of Komisarek, Connoly, Lombardi, or Armstrong replace any roster spots, and the salary of any that are dumped can be use to cushin the addition of salary from a #1 C? Parise? Suter? Luongo? Sure some are not realistic, but with wiggle room in the cap they become much more realistic.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:03 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Lombardi is in no way shape or form a bottom 6 player. He is a 2nd line twiner that usually finds his game when he is the go to guy. There is no room in Toronto for him, and that 4+ mill can be used elsewhere, including the salary tied up in Komisarek, Connolly and Armstrong. None of the above are useful to the Leafs, and should be dumped whenever and wherever they can. One should not be prioritized if they are a more useful player because even not considering the cap they are still stealing a roster spot from those who deserve it more.

Lupul - Bozak/1st line C acquisition - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kadri
Kulemin - 5th overall - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

Gunnarson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schenn
Liles - Franson

Reimer
XXXX

Should be the Leafs going into next season, none of Komisarek, Connoly, Lombardi, or Armstrong replace any roster spots, and the salary of any that are dumped can be use to cushin the addition of salary from a #1 C? Parise? Suter? Luongo? Sure some are not realistic, but with wiggle room in the cap they become much more realistic.
What if Toronto doesn't draft a centre? Or one who is years away from being ready? You think Galchenyuk will play with Toronto after missing a year of Juniors? You've got to be kidding me.

Bump kadri to the 3rd line, role him into a more offensive role as the season goes on and keep Armstrong or Connolly on the wing.

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:07 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
What if Toronto doesn't draft a centre? Or one who is years away from being ready? You think Galchenyuk will play with Toronto after missing a year of Juniors? You've got to be kidding me.

Bump kadri to the 3rd line, role him into a more offensive role as the season goes on and keep Armstrong or Connolly on the wing.
If not Galchenyuk then Grigorenko or Forsberg, both of whom are a C or have previously played the role. Or sign a Jaret Stoll/Paul Gaustad to a 2-3 year deal to play that role. Regardless, Komisarek, Connolly, Armstrong and Lombardi need to go.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
If not Galchenyuk then Grigorenko or Forsberg, both of whom are a C or have previously played the role. Or sign a Jaret Stoll/Paul Gaustad to a 2-3 year deal to play that role. Regardless, Komisarek, Connolly, Armstrong and Lombardi need to go.
Try explaining to leafs nation why approximatly 15 million in cap are not going to play for your team, but a player (who hasn't been drafted yet) deserves to step in and play? We don't have a lot of cap space to be making big signings.

I agree that Lombardi and Komisarek will be sharing the press box for a good chunk of the season, but Armstrong has shown great leadership and a quality to create penalties against the other team.

Who says Komarov is going to step in either? How has he locked down a role on the fourth line? Because he threatened to go as UFA? You're kidding me.

The Brewmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Ripper

gas Lombardi for anything

Sorry to all the guys who think that Lombardi can help the Leafs next season or any season for that matter.
Think about him playing for the Marlies, would he without doubt be their best player...which then would make him top 2-3 in the league... not a chance...in fact the Marlies wouldn't even have him on the top 2 lines.

I watched him very closely the past year and in no way should he be back with the Leafs, he's not involved. Sure has some speed but so do a lot of guys, the problem with him is he just isn't that talented and it's not his fault. He got a Finger type contract and it needs to be removed.
Connolly is the same type of player and unfortunately it just keeps saying that maybe Burke & Co need to go as well.
Would much rather of had Versteeg and Stalberg on the team. I said all along that the Leafs would rue the day they traded the next John LeClair!
We don't have that worry in letting Lombardi and Connolly go.....see ya

Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:32 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Nick Ross and a 4th sounds good to me.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Sorry to all the guys who think that Lombardi can help the Leafs next season or any season for that matter.
Think about him playing for the Marlies, would he without doubt be their best player...which then would make him top 2-3 in the league... not a chance...in fact the Marlies wouldn't even have him on the top 2 lines.

I watched him very closely the past year and in no way should he be back with the Leafs, he's not involved. Sure has some speed but so do a lot of guys, the problem with him is he just isn't that talented and it's not his fault. He got a Finger type contract and it needs to be removed.
Connolly is the same type of player and unfortunately it just keeps saying that maybe Burke & Co need to go as well.
Would much rather of had Versteeg and Stalberg on the team. I said all along that the Leafs would rue the day they traded the next John LeClair!
We don't have that worry in letting Lombardi and Connolly go.....see ya
Hope you realize the dynamic offensive talent Phillipe Dupuis lead the Marlies in playoff scoring.

And Versteeg netted us a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Man Bear Pig

I still think it would make more sense for the Leafs to hope he rebounds and deal him at the deadline when he'll have more value. What do we need the cap space for at this point? are we signing a superstar that I'm unaware of?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Just what Toronto needs to overpay for this years great tweener-3rd liners to replace what we currently have.

Put Stoll or Gaustad in Connollys spot and the result is little to no difference.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
MuchoMacho

Seo

Quote:

Wake up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
My third suggestion is ditch the condescending tone.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:44 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
Try explaining to leafs nation why approximatly 15 million in cap are not going to play for your team, but a player (who hasn't been drafted yet) deserves to step in and play? We don't have a lot of cap space to be making big signings.

I agree that Lombardi and Komisarek will be sharing the press box for a good chunk of the season, but Armstrong has shown great leadership and a quality to create penalties against the other team.

Who says Komarov is going to step in either? How has he locked down a role on the fourth line? Because he threatened to go as UFA? You're kidding me.
Because 15 million should be sold off to make room for big signings. Not to mention Frattin, Kadri, Franson and too a lesser extent D'aimgo have proven that they deserve a shot. Every season, almost every top 5 player jumps in to the line-up, even contenders sometimes have top 10 picks play the season they are drafted (i.e. Philly):

Lets look:

2011 - RNH, Landeskog, Larsson did, Strome and Hubredeau did not
2010 - Hall, Seguin, Johansen did, Gubranson and Neiderreiter did not
2009 - Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane did, Schenn did not
2008 - Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn did, Pietrangelo did not
2007 - only Kane
2006 - Staal, Kessel did, Toews, Backstrom, Johnson did not
2005 - Only Crosby
2004 - N/A
2003 - Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev did, Vanek did not

The majority of the time, the majority of the top 5 picks play the season after their draft

Old
06-12-2012, 09:47 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Hope you realize the dynamic offensive talent Phillipe Dupuis lead the Marlies in playoff scoring.

And Versteeg netted us a 1st and 3rd rounder.
Frattin and Kadri had a higher PPG.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:01 PM
The Newfoundlander
#51 and #44

vCash: 652
Lombardi will be significantly better next year. 20/20 season possibly, Not to mention he will be a wicked threat on the PK because of his speed. Swap Hanzal for 4th round pick and we'll talk.

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Because 15 million should be sold off to make room for big signings. Not to mention Frattin, Kadri, Franson and too a lesser extent D'aimgo have proven that they deserve a shot. Every season, almost every top 5 player jumps in to the line-up, even contenders sometimes have top 10 picks play the season they are drafted (i.e. Philly):

Lets look:

2011 - RNH, Landeskog, Larsson did, Strome and Hubredeau did not
2010 - Hall, Seguin, Johansen did, Gubranson and Neiderreiter did not
2009 - Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane did, Schenn did not
2008 - Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian, Schenn did, Pietrangelo did not
2007 - only Kane
2006 - Staal, Kessel did, Toews, Backstrom, Johnson did not
2005 - Only Crosby
2004 - N/A
2003 - Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev did, Vanek did not

The majority of the time, the majority of the top 5 picks play the season after their draft
You can't bank on an 18 year old kid making the team straight out of the draft unless it's a guarantee. Otherwise, it's a recipe for disaster.

Also, we need to clear 15million in cap space for what? Big signings? If you haven't noticed, Toronto isn't exactly a hot spot for prized free agents.

Kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Stump

Lombardi must have really gone into the toilet after he left Phoenix for Toronto fans to want him given away for free. He was a favourite of mine while he was there. I'd gladly take him back for a 4th. Players that don't work well elsewhere work well once they get under Tippett's spell.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:32 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

send Ethan Werek and keep the 4th

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:34 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
send Ethan Werek and keep the 4th
Works just fine for me. You can have Ross too, if you'd like.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:50 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

I'd do this from the Leafs.

But I'd rather do the Lombardi + Brown + Rynnas for Chipchura + Bissonnette + Tikhonov + Goncharov + Ross deal ahah.

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:37 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
I cant believe there are so many Leaf fans saying no to this.
If his play rebounds, which is far from a sure thing he doesn't even have a spot on the 3rd line until someone else gets hurt. We sure do form an attachment to crap players.

Yes Lombardi is available and a 4th is more than enough.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Boy, I never expected such mixed reactions. No Yotes fans have weighed inherit, it seems.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Boy, I never expected such mixed reactions. No Yotes fans have weighed inherit, it seems.
Ross and a 4th is fine.

Clearing Lombardi's money helps us, And we've already lost Mikus and Lashoff on the Marlies defense next year, So Ross could fill one of those spots and get to play with his brother.

And Lombardi fills Langkow's spot and hopefully bounces back for you guys.

Good deal all around, I'd say.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I agree. If we aren't going to get anything of significance for him theres no point moving him
I can see him as part of the luongo deal, if it happens.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

I would make him finish his contract. Connolly and Armstrong as well. Best case scenario they all bounce back (very unlikely) and you could resign them. Worst case scenario is they bomb again (probable IMO) and will be released as a UFA, freeing up significant cap space in a pretty decent year for FA. If the team bombs along with them, a decent draft pic could benefit the team greatly in next years draft as well.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote