HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey Devils are NOT forfeiting 1st round pick 2012

Old
06-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 1077
Perhaps they have their sights set on a RFA this year?

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:40 PM
m9

vCash: 500
A current year's pick will be valued higher than a future year's pick - that's just how it is. To get a 3rd in this draft it will cost you a 2nd in next years draft. To get a 4th it will cost you a 3rd next year.

Time, in this case years, has a value. Makes sense for NJ to hold off as long as possible as long as they feel they will be a playoff team.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:45 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
A current year's pick will be valued higher than a future year's pick - that's just how it is. To get a 3rd in this draft it will cost you a 2nd in next years draft. To get a 4th it will cost you a 3rd next year.

Time, in this case years, has a value. Makes sense for NJ to hold off as long as possible as long as they feel they will be a playoff team.
That's the value chart for the NFL, I'm not sure it's exactly comparable to the NHL, but the idea still holds. The 29th overall pick in 2012 is worth more than some mid-20s pick next season, and most likely more valuable than a late teens pick in 2013 or even early teens in 2014. New Jersey needs to start filling out their prospect pool now, not in 2 years.

The only way I can really see this seriously biting them is if they wait until 2014 to forfeit and they end up losing a lotto or other top 10 pick.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:48 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Still a stupid decision IMO. You trade a roster player if there is some late rounder your really want. I guess they might be hoping the new CBA may reverse this league ruling.
No, you don't trade a roster player from a conference championship team for a late rounder.

There are a number of possible explanations for keeping the pick this year. But do consider that this has been one of Lamoriello's best years as GM given the practicality and success of his moves, so don't count him out.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
That's the value chart for the NFL, I'm not sure it's exactly comparable to the NHL, but the idea still holds. The 29th overall pick in 2012 is worth more than some mid-20s pick next season, and most likely more valuable than a late teens pick in 2013 or even early teens in 2014. New Jersey needs to start filling out their prospect pool now, not in 2 years.

The only way I can really see this seriously biting them is if they wait until 2014 to forfeit and they end up losing a lotto or other top 10 pick.
Yeah, its not exactly the same as the NFL because NFL players are expected to contribute quicker. But the principle still applies. I'd rather have 8 bucks today than 10 bucks a year from now.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:04 AM
tmunnuch

I'm really surprised that people glancing for 30 seconds at HF between checking facebook and watching youtube videos think they know better than a seasoned, in fact a very seasoned, professional general manager who has a plethora of information at his disposal and has had weeks to deliberate on the issue.

I am just shocked!

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Generally when teams do that they know who exactly they are picking

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunnuch View Post
I'm really surprised that people glancing for 30 seconds at HF between checking facebook and watching youtube videos think they know better than a seasoned, in fact a very seasoned, professional general manager who has a plethora of information at his disposal and has had weeks to deliberate on the issue.

I am just shocked!
Was just about to say, there is a reason Lamoriello and David Conte are paid to do what they do, and we just critique them from our computers

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunnuch View Post

I am just shocked!
Because GM never make mistakes...

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Subban? Or Vasilesky for the future? I am still thinking this is a dumb move lol

06-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 50
Look at them not forfeiting it next year too and then finishing in the bottom 3 in 2014.

06-13-2012, 12:20 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Lou's a great GM with an amazing record but this is an obvious mistake.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Lou's a great GM with an amazing record but this is an obvious mistake.
it's possible he wants to move up ?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:11 AM
cgf

It makes sense. Why give up a pick now when you can give up the pick in two years. Sure you might get a little better prospect than, but is that really worth two years of added development?

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:13 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle62 View Post
Not a bad move, IMO, for the moment, at least. If they finish bottom-10 next year, then yeah, it'll be bad. That said, this draft has good depth. It lacks high end talent, but the chances of getting a solid NHLer where the Devils are picking is decent.
If they fall apart next year they can just hold onto their pick again. This only backfires if they **** the bed two years from now and have to give up the pick regardless of how high it is.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:41 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
Perhaps they have their sights set on a RFA this year?
Signing an RFA this summer would mean forfeiting the 2013 draft picks.

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:51 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

This.

IMO, the Devils see themselves with a great opportunity to compete for cups in the next 3-4 years with the current crop of forwards (including Parise). I'd rather draft a late-1st round player now who can potentially step in 2-3 years from now and help us compete for a cup than draft someone in two years that, while they may turn out to be the better player, will come to a team that who knows where they'll be.

Like someone else said, 8 bucks now vs. 10 bucks in the future.

If they get back to the ECF next year, I think they'd forfeit that pick to play it safe but otherwise, this team has picked in the top 10, heck top 15, once since 1997, so odds are Lou will make sure they aren't picking that high again anytime soon.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
sully1410

Maybe it's spoken for in a trade?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:00 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
This.

IMO, the Devils see themselves with a great opportunity to compete for cups in the next 3-4 years with the current crop of forwards (including Parise). I'd rather draft a late-1st round player now who can potentially step in 2-3 years from now and help us compete for a cup than draft someone in two years that, while they may turn out to be the better player, will come to a team that who knows where they'll be.

Like someone else said, 8 bucks now vs. 10 bucks in the future.

If they get back to the ECF next year, I think they'd forfeit that pick to play it safe but otherwise, this team has picked in the top 10, heck top 15, once since 1997, so odds are Lou will make sure they aren't picking that high again anytime soon.
Compete for Stanley Cups in the next 3-4 years?

Their best forward is a UFA, and their HOF goalie is also a UFA who said he will retire after one more season.

Even if NJ returned their entire team next season (unlikely), the financial constraints of the team probably won't allow them to add anything of significance.

There are five teams in the East that I would say are outright better in the East, and more stable (Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Caps, Bruins) than the Devils.

I think this years SC run will be more of an anomaly than a trend (Ottawa 2007, Calgary 2004)

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:22 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Compete for Stanley Cups in the next 3-4 years?

Their best forward is a UFA, and their HOF goalie is also a UFA who said he will retire after one more season.

Even if NJ returned their entire team next season (unlikely), the financial constraints of the team probably won't allow them to add anything of significance.

There are five teams in the East that I would say are outright better in the East, and more stable (Rangers, Penguins, Flyers, Caps, Bruins) than the Devils.

I think this years SC run will be more of an anomaly than a trend (Ottawa 2007, Calgary 2004)
Because you know all about our financial problems and "missed" that they're about to be solved.

Next.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
It makes sense to some degree. GM's jobs aren't always a guarantee to be around forever, so if Lou waits to the last minute he won't have to worry about giving up a first now and getting fired later. Although I don't think Lou is in any worry to get fired, sooner see him retire.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Is Vasilevski a realistic pick at #29?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
BlueBaron

I'm thinking Lou wants to grab a goalie and wants one developing asap.

While I too am a bit surprised by this move I will not be foolish enough to declare it a mistake without knowing the reasons behind it. Lou deserves the benifit of the doubt.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:42 AM
SvenBartschi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
This is gonna backfire worse than Calgary giving up Gormley.
But not quite as bad as Seguin, Hamilton, and Rask for Kessel

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Medium Rare*

this hasn't been reported by anyone else yet, doesn't that seem strange to anyone else? 12+ hours and TSN hasn't caught wind of it?

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote