Notices

Irmen in a Wild sweater?

Old
04-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Irmen in a Wild sweater?

Star Tribune posted this tidbit:

The Wild is continuing talks with Gophers forward Danny Irmen, and a contract could be announced this week. With the possibility that Randy Robitaille's strained right knee could keep him out for the rest of the regular season, Irmen could make his NHL debut in a Wild sweater before the April 15 deadline.

I'm all for it.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 09:43 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 500
I cannot see the Wild doing a whole lot of negotiating. I am sure they put an offer out there and Irmen is deciding to take it or leave it. He comes back next year and leads the WCHA in scoring and wins a national championship as captain and the hobey while staying healthy all year he could get more. In short

ONE MORE YEAR

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
I cannot see the Wild doing a whole lot of negotiating. I am sure they put an offer out there and Irmen is deciding to take it or leave it. He comes back next year and leads the WCHA in scoring and wins a national championship as captain and the hobey while staying healthy all year he could get more. In short

ONE MORE YEAR
That would be good too

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
WILDTATE10

if he gets to play in a game for the wild he will sign no doubt.

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Star Tribune posted this tidbit:

The Wild is continuing talks with Gophers forward Danny Irmen, and a contract could be announced this week. With the possibility that Randy Robitaille's strained right knee could keep him out for the rest of the regular season, Irmen could make his NHL debut in a Wild sweater before the April 15 deadline.

I'm all for it.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
ceber

As I understand it, Irmen can't be "in talks", can he? I thought that was one of the NCAA rules somehow. The team can make him offers, but all Irmen can do is review them and say Yes/No. His agent can't be involved yet, because he's still an amateur.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10
if he gets to play in a game for the wild he will sign no doubt.
I am not sure that'd make much of a difference. He knows that he'll get to play eventually, so I can't imagine that them saying "we'll let you suit up this year" would get him to sign.

But that said, in another thread here there was a post on the Wild's policy regarding college kids, which basically was that the Wild won't initiate anything. The fact that a contract is out there means he is interested. Much as I hate to say it, I'd be surprised if we see him in a Gopher jersey next year.

Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 08:06 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I am not sure that'd make much of a difference. He knows that he'll get to play eventually, so I can't imagine that them saying "we'll let you suit up this year" would get him to sign.

But that said, in another thread here there was a post on the Wild's policy regarding college kids, which basically was that the Wild won't initiate anything. The fact that a contract is out there means he is interested. Much as I hate to say it, I'd be surprised if we see him in a Gopher jersey next year.
The Wild have to initiate things, I think, or Irmen loses his eligibility. Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
MN_Gopher

Players can intiate the talks. And i think an agent cannot be present but a "family advisior" can be. Happens all the time.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Wild Bill

I thought once you sign on with an agent, you lose your amateur eligiblity and thus cannot compete collegiately anymore...

BTW I love the Gophers, but I don't see much left for him to learn by going back for another year. The Wild could really use his grit and calmness with the puck.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Hockey Fan #751

He wouldn't get much more money by hanging on for another year with the rookie cap restrictions in place under the new CBA.

All he'd really be doing is playing another year at a level below his capabilities. The sooner he signs with the Wild, the faster he gets to that second contract which is where the real money can be made. All that, plus he'd develop more with better competition in the NHL or AHL.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 02:35 PM
ceber

If he stays for his senior year he could become an unrestricted free agent on 8/15/2007. Probably a risky move, but it would be something to think about.

Old
04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Did Irmen have 44 goals this season?

I'ma gonna be soooo pissed off if they let him play in MN for the rest of the season.

I have nothing against Irmen, whatsoever, just for the record. He seems like a good player. But,,,holy hell! How does scoring 15-16 goals in playing only 30 games in the NCAA compare to scoring 44 over nearly an entire AHL season?

---word on the street is that Danny-boy got offered a nice little deal. A signing bonus over 2 years of about 250k per year, and a few thousand dollars for every day left in the NHL season.

I'm gonna blow a gasket.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Lake Harriet

Danny

Is not NHL-ready now and could use a big year for the Gophers after being hurt a lot this past year.

Lake Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote