HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part VIII)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Am pretty sure Mason will be back with the Jets; his comments at the end of season about wanting more playing time smacked as a negotiating ploy from a player with a declining playing window, one who'd like some salary consideration in exchange for his reduced number of starts. Pretty standard stuff.

Have tried to stay away from these discussions of late, admittedly have been feeling a bit antsy about the coming version of the team. None of the RFA or pending UFA players have been signed yet. I keep hoping the Jets will announce a blockbuster trade of a veteran or two, just to signify that management are attempting to remold the franchise into something that more resembles their future vision, to put their own stamp on the team. They need to get much bigger overall. It almost seems from reading many of the proposed line-ups here for next season though that some of you expect that we'll be watching another replay of the Thrashers roster; I'd conversely like to see some bold moves that signify that we won't. Keep the young core, churn 40 or 50% of the balance out of town (for all I care) in exchange for some competitive young guys with size. I'm not talking about rebuilding, just retooling, and am on board with building long term via the draft. I don't care if change results in near-term struggle, it also offers hope for an improved future.

Just do something though, anything.

Even if they iced a roster largely similar to last season and by chance made the playoffs, the team as it is currently constructed wouldn't possess the required size and battle level needed to compete when it counts.

Signed,
J. Impatient

Old
06-12-2012, 07:27 PM
pondnorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Am pretty sure Mason will be back with the Jets; his comments at the end of season about wanting more playing time smacked as a negotiating ploy from a player with a declining playing window, one who'd like some salary consideration in exchange for his reduced number of starts. Pretty standard stuff.

Have tried to stay away from these discussions of late, admittedly have been feeling a bit antsy about the coming version of the team. None of the RFA or pending UFA players have been signed yet. I keep hoping the Jets will announce a blockbuster trade of a veteran or two, just to signify that management are attempting to remold the franchise into something that more resembles their future vision, to put their own stamp on the team. They need to get much bigger overall. It almost seems from reading many of the proposed line-ups here for next season though that some of you expect that we'll be watching another replay of the Thrashers roster; I'd conversely like to see some bold moves that signify that we won't. Keep the young core, churn 40 or 50% of the balance out of town (for all I care) in exchange for some competitive young guys with size. I'm not talking about rebuilding, just retooling, and am on board with building long term via the draft. I don't care if change results in near-term struggle, it also offers hope for an improved future.

Even if they iced a roster largely similar to last season and by chance made the playoffs, the team as it is currently constructed wouldn't possess the required size and battle level needed to compete when it counts.

Signed,
J. Impatient
Totally agree,as soon as this team really becomes the Jets and not the former Thrashers the better.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:12 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Highlight of previous thread? KW being a smartass and suggesting Scheifele and 1st for Couturier
Sorry

I just thought everyone wanted couturier

Old
06-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Signed,
J. Impatient
Very well said, Gump.

I tend to agree, really. I am all for building through the draft and having a steady replenishment of our own, homegrown players, but as I touched on last week, I would really rather not be as slow and steady as Nashville has been/is. They've really waited until the final minute to try and become legitimately good, yet Suter can up and walk in a few weeks and Weber can do so a year from now. I'd like us to be much more aggressive in our pursuit to the top.

Also, I believe we've got a good, young core here that could really make some noise within a year or two, but I do fear we'll possibly approach things a little too slow and steady. I fear that because within the next 3-4 years all of Ladd, Kane, Little, Wheeler, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Pavelec, etc. could reach UFA status and up and leave. I'd like for Winnipeg to be an attractive place to play for both our players and players currently in other locations, not only because of the electric fan support but i'd like to and believe we can ice a legitimately good team within 2 years from now. I see no excuse why within the next 2 years we cannot be near contending.

06-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Huffer

So, not saying that this anonymous twitter account has any validity, but in the name of sparking conversation, what do people think of this:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2n2w0Y132M1Y1t0...59.53%20PM.png

Mainly the quote around Enstrom.

How do you interpret it? All of the tweets seem to be around the Flyers, so one way you could look at it is that he is saying that there could be a trade of Enstrom to Philly but the contract negotiations aren't going great? Or that the negotiations with the Jets are not going great?

Again, not saying this has any validity, just something to talk about.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:32 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
So, not saying that this anonymous twitter account has any validity, but in the name of sparking conversation, what do people think of this:

http://f.cl.ly/items/2n2w0Y132M1Y1t0...59.53%20PM.png

Mainly the quote around Enstrom.

How do you interpret it? All of the tweets seem to be around the Flyers, so one way you could look at it is that he is saying that there could be a trade of Enstrom to Philly but the contract negotiations aren't going great? Or that the negotiations with the Jets are not going great?

Again, not saying this has any validity, just something to talk about.
Huff just to play along because like you I have no idea if this is even close to legit. The statement to me "negociations FOR Enstrom are not going great" to me that reads between Philly and Winnipeg. That could mean anything from outright rejection by Winnipeg all the way to full blown negociations where Winnipeg has given permission for Philly to negociate an extension with Enstrom to consummate a trade and the two sides aren't close?

That is my take anyways

Old
06-12-2012, 11:50 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Bryan Allen is not re-signing with the Canes. There was a rumor around the deadline that we were interested in acquiring him. Do we target him as a UFA, especially since we now have Clitsome in addition to Postma and Kulda?

Old
06-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Huff just to play along because like you I have no idea if this is even close to legit. The statement to me "negociations FOR Enstrom are not going great" to me that reads between Philly and Winnipeg. That could mean anything from outright rejection by Winnipeg all the way to full blown negociations where Winnipeg has given permission for Philly to negociate an extension with Enstrom to consummate a trade and the two sides aren't close?

That is my take anyways
Interesting. Maybe Chevy is holding out for former Brandon Wheat King Schenn +... for Enstrom.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

That is my take anyways
I doubt that would be it.

Those things almost never happen, a player with a year left would want to see what the team is like first.

That kind of thing only happens with guys that are UFA right NOW.

The whole fact Enstrom is UFA next year is insanely blown out of proportion IMO. People act like he's already gone, when we ourselves have barely even gotten into the window to resign him, plus it probably won't happen soon. More time to evaluate him and discuss term, $, etc.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:33 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I doubt that would be it.

Those things almost never happen, a player with a year left would want to see what the team is like first.

That kind of thing only happens with guys that are UFA right NOW.

The whole fact Enstrom is UFA next year is insanely blown out of proportion IMO. People act like he's already gone, when we ourselves have barely even gotten into the window to resign him, plus it probably won't happen soon. More time to evaluate him and discuss term, $, etc.
Interesting Sweech. Certainly limits value of an asset if you are dealing him with 1 year of term unless the acquiring team feels comfortable that they can get a new deal done (like Johnny O in Chicago).

Old
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Interesting Sweech. Certainly limits value of an asset if you are dealing him with 1 year of term unless the acquiring team feels comfortable that they can get a new deal done (like Johnny O in Chicago).
The thing is that the team acquiring him has an entire year to figure that out.

Not only would Enstrom want to figure out if he likes it with another team, I bet that other team would like to know if Enstrom's a fit. That whole extra year is a luxury.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:02 AM
sully1410

They prolly offered JVR and Chevy said...are you high? We have enough left wings!

Old
06-13-2012, 02:59 AM
Jets
Resident Sieve

Should pursue Eakin for the third line

Old
06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Huffer

Quote:

That is my take anyways
That is my take as well. Not that I put much faith in a guy who's twitter handle is "******* ********".

Old
06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I am getting more and more excited for the offseason to really officially begin. It appears it will be slow regarding UFA's given the lack of talent available, but from what we're hearing the trades could really heat up, which would be interesting considering how sloooooow trades were thoughout the entire season.

This past year has really been amazing with the Jets returning, it's all really a blur but it feels like we've already come so far in just a year in terms of everything, really, the team name, the jersey/logo, the draft, a few new player acquisitions, the season began and we were in the playoff hunt for 3/4 of it, the season ended, etc.. here we are. The year really did go extremely fast. It feels like 2 weeks ago we were watching the Jets in October or welcoming Selanne back to Winnipeg in December.

I am excited for the draft, for potential trades and free agent signings, and while I understand (or think I do...) what our teams philosophies are, I still second guess myself because I really have no clue what Chevy will do or how aggressive he will be. I'm afraid we're going to go to "slow and steady" not just this offseason but in the coming years, but that's just a hunch. I don't think our management team is content, far from it, but I do think they may be just a bit too slow on the gas. We'll see. A part of me just wants to see Chevy and co. make a bold move that will give all us Jets fans the "stamp of approval" in terms of this is our team and our management group is going to take it in their direction.

One thing that does worry me with the lack of quality UFA's and maybe our loyal to a fault approach with our own players, is I really do believe at the end of the day here we're going to see a pretty identical Jets team return to the ice for next season. I'm not a big fan of it though I am ready to accept it. We all watched how discontent and frustrated our Captain Andrew Ladd got in the media leading up to the deadline, this team needed some offensive help and he basically come out and said that, and put the ball in managements court. You could tell he was frustrated and I'd bet 3/4 or more of the team was. I'd really like to see us try and improve, someway somehow, rather than ice what would be pretty well be the same team as last season. I think if we ice the same team, the results may be all to familiar.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I am getting more and more excited for the offseason to really officially begin...
I very much agre with your sentiments.

My feeling on the loyalty issue is that though it sounds nice and seems like an admirable trait in management, in practice it is often a bad mentality for asset management. Loyalty is fine, provided you are rewarding the loyalty of something that worked. Rewarding loyalty to an ineffective team only prolongs the ineffectiveness.

Employees who's quality of work is subpar don't get to keep their job just because they've been there the longest, that's a perfect way to tank a business, and a hockey team.

Though i really want to Chevy put his mark on the team as well, one thing we have to keep in mind, it takes two to tango.

As far as our trade chips go, there's not a whole lot their that will net that impressive return that will give us that "our team" mark.

Combine that with the issue of not only finding "our type" of players available, we have to find them on teams who's needs match the few trade chips we have.

In short, I have every confidence that Chevy will attempt to put his stamp on the team, but I will not be surprised if he's unable to as the circumstances are far more limiting then many people seem to believe.

The last thing i want to see is Chevy jettison some of our talent and players for subpar returns simply because they aren't "our kind of guy".

Old
06-13-2012, 08:44 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Should pursue Eakin for the third line
Why? We have plenty of options on the farm for that role.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Certainly agree with you there, Grind. The one thing I do have is an abundance of faith in Chevy in that I think his moves will be well calculated and they won't leave many thinking "what?!" .. I think they'll all make sense, to most of us anyway, minus the Couturier fans.

I think you nailed in in regards to the trades, these days they do appear quite difficult to come by. Maybe the times will change here given the UFA market is so poor? That's the vibes we seem to be getting from some of the major media outlets. Apparently things in the trade column could really heat up within the next week as we get closer to the draft.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Why? We have plenty of options on the farm for that role.
because he's from Winnipeg, clearly.

I haven't seen a single post about how we should pursue x-prospect-who's-expected-to-top-out-as-a-third-liner-but-could-possibly-be-a-second so it's clearly based on the fact that he's from winnipeg. Can we stop fantasizing about collecting locals?

I'd rather have the best players available, then the best players available from my city.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:37 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
I am getting more and more excited for the offseason to really officially begin. It appears it will be slow regarding UFA's given the lack of talent available, but from what we're hearing the trades could really heat up, which would be interesting considering how sloooooow trades were thoughout the entire season.

This past year has really been amazing with the Jets returning, it's all really a blur but it feels like we've already come so far in just a year in terms of everything, really, the team name, the jersey/logo, the draft, a few new player acquisitions, the season began and we were in the playoff hunt for 3/4 of it, the season ended, etc.. here we are. The year really did go extremely fast. It feels like 2 weeks ago we were watching the Jets in October or welcoming Selanne back to Winnipeg in December.

I am excited for the draft, for potential trades and free agent signings, and while I understand (or think I do...) what our teams philosophies are, I still second guess myself because I really have no clue what Chevy will do or how aggressive he will be. I'm afraid we're going to go to "slow and steady" not just this offseason but in the coming years, but that's just a hunch. I don't think our management team is content, far from it, but I do think they may be just a bit too slow on the gas. We'll see. A part of me just wants to see Chevy and co. make a bold move that will give all us Jets fans the "stamp of approval" in terms of this is our team and our management group is going to take it in their direction.

One thing that does worry me with the lack of quality UFA's and maybe our loyal to a fault approach with our own players, is I really do believe at the end of the day here we're going to see a pretty identical Jets team return to the ice for next season. I'm not a big fan of it though I am ready to accept it. We all watched how discontent and frustrated our Captain Andrew Ladd got in the media leading up to the deadline, this team needed some offensive help and he basically come out and said that, and put the ball in managements court. You could tell he was frustrated and I'd bet 3/4 or more of the team was. I'd really like to see us try and improve, someway somehow, rather than ice what would be pretty well be the same team as last season. I think if we ice the same team, the results may be all to familiar.

Agree 100% with everything you said G but the one thing I really am scared for is a lockout. I really hope the season starts on time

Old
06-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Taking a look through the UFA list, if there is one guy I wouldn't mind signing, it's Jiri Hudler. Downfall is he's on the small side, but he'd no doubt add an ingredient we're missing in our top 6, offensive talent.

I also wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Brad Boyes. I've always been a bit of a fan of Boyes, and granted he had a poor year last year I think he may come at a decent enough price. He's got his faults (who doesn't?) but I think he could add a solid touch of offense to our forwards and especially our PP. It hasn't been out of the ordinary for Boyes to log 3-4+ minutes per game of PP time throughout his career, we could certainly use that in my opinion. He's a right handed shot too, and we could use a solid RW'er. Boyes is a player who can score at a solid pace both on the PP and even strength when in the right role and I think we could give him that role and opportunity.

Of course he can be streaky, as a lot of players are, but I think it would be worth a shot with Boyes. If he could fit in offensively here (I think he could) and collect 20-30 goals, 50-65 points, we may have ourselves a solid point producing winger. He's had a few years where he's hit 69, 65, 72 and 55 points, 26, 43, 33 goals. The talent is there. 4 out of his 7 NHL seasons he's hit 55-72 points, if you discredit last years poor year, 4 of 6 seasons he hit those marks. Even in the other 2 seasons he hit 42-46 points. I think he could be a player we could work with, give the opportunity too and perhaps benefit from it. Many players rebound, I see no reason why Brad Boyes cannot, especially considering over his career he has had respectable offensive numbers. Give him a role, work with him and it could be nice fit for both sides.

I think if we could get him on a 2 year deal, 2-2.5 million, give him the opportunity and work with him, he could fit in here.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
MrWigglez

I have a lot of hope that the Jets would pick up Boyes as a free agent. After his last season his price tag will probably be reasonable, though you never know what could happen with so few free agents out there, someone might be willing to give him a huge contract in hopes he turns it around.

If Wellwood could turn his career around so well here last year why couldnt Boyes as well?

Old
06-13-2012, 11:24 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I very much agre with your sentiments.

My feeling on the loyalty issue is that though it sounds nice and seems like an admirable trait in management, in practice it is often a bad mentality for asset management. Loyalty is fine, provided you are rewarding the loyalty of something that worked. Rewarding loyalty to an ineffective team only prolongs the ineffectiveness.

Employees who's quality of work is subpar don't get to keep their job just because they've been there the longest, that's a perfect way to tank a business, and a hockey team.

Though i really want to Chevy put his mark on the team as well, one thing we have to keep in mind, it takes two to tango.

As far as our trade chips go, there's not a whole lot their that will net that impressive return that will give us that "our team" mark.

Combine that with the issue of not only finding "our type" of players available, we have to find them on teams who's needs match the few trade chips we have.

In short, I have every confidence that Chevy will attempt to put his stamp on the team, but I will not be surprised if he's unable to as the circumstances are far more limiting then many people seem to believe.

The last thing i want to see is Chevy jettison some of our talent and players for subpar returns simply because they aren't "our kind of guy".
good posts boys.........IMHO There is no way Chevy isn't trying to make moves as we speak but like you guys said it takes two to dance. I do think the NHL trade market will see some dynamic movement this spring and I hope we are involved if we win the trades

Guerzy when it comes to the organizational approach I know TSNE have often stated Nashville is a model they will follow most closely. Here is the rub though I really don't think they will follow it exactly just closely. my 2 cents worth out of the cheap seats on how this would look. Very similar draft and develop model with the road to Winnipeg going through St John's. We will be patient and not rush prospects into the line up or deal them unless it makes us stronger. Like Nashville a high % or our lineup will eventually be from our home grown system. Now where we will differ I believe is that we have more budget to secure key pieces than Nashville had for a long time (I think that has changed now). I think as time goes on you will not see us lose our franchise players to free agency and you will see them tied up in long term deals. I think Nashville spent some years with big limitations on their spending that might have hamstrung them a bit and forced them to be patient to a fault.

Also the major difference I think we will see is that the Nashville brain trust have built their team over 10 plus years whereas TNSE have inherited someone else's team and therefore I expect more initial churn and change with the Jets until they get their "type of players" on board. I think it will take 1 week to 3 years for us to transition 100% of the assets that Chevy knows will not be part of the long term picture. As Jim Collins would say Chevy will want to get the "wrong people off the bus, and the right people on the bus"

When it comes to loyalty as a hindrance (too much of anything is not a good thing ) my hopes are that Chevy is more pragmatic. He was not part of the old TNSE guard that are loyal to a fault and he did manage to put together all the championships in the IHL, AHL, and was a part of it at the NHL level. My hopes are he will bring a bit of a "friendly edge" to the equation. Loyalty is a trait to be admired in an ownership group but we need our GM to be all about business. Not saying we should copy the New England patriots but part of Bill Belichick's model is planned churn to keep things fresh on his teams. Not saying that's the route to take but the relentless pursuit of long term excellence will require a guy that parks his emotions when it comes to loyalty. Maintain our integrity while doggedly making the tough calls. Perfect complementary piece to Chipper and Zinger.

I will be at a chamber of commerce lunch tomorrow where Chevy is the keynote and will talk about "building an NHL franchise" and I will let you know if he does more than lob softballs

Old
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
PaperRockChamp

I checked out that "Hocckkeeyy ********" and he is a joke.. He was called out for a few of his "rumors" by The Fourth Period..

Suggested that he was announcing a rumor of Parise going to LA (ALA Hossa). Scott Simmons' article of wanting ZP to go to LAK was published earlier that same day.. joke... Basically an even lesser version of Ek.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
I checked out that "Hocckkeeyy ********" and he is a joke.. He was called out for a few of his "rumors" by The Fourth Period..

Suggested that he was announcing a rumor of Parise going to LA (ALA Hossa). Scott Simmons' article of wanting ZP to go to LAK was published earlier that same day.. joke... Basically an even lesser version of Ek.
Good to know because the last thing I want to see is Parise in Los Angeles. New Jersey, Minnesota, anywhere but Los Angeles.

He'd never choose the NYI, but him and Tavares would go a long way to resurrecting that franchise. Or even with Stamkos and St. Louis.

Closed Thread