HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to move down at the draft...

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Oilers to move down at the draft...

I know this is like beating a dead horse, however earlier this morning on TSN 1050 radio Darren Dreger was on discussing what Edmonton is likely to do at the draft. He said that his sense is that the Oilers don't simply take Yakupov at No. 1. They need to add on defense, and this may force them to trade down..

I know Edmonton seems to be extremely high on Murray. How can they set up a trade that gets them Murray and another defense man?

Somehow get a solid defense man and acquire the 2nd overall pick?

Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
boredmale

Edmonton is sort of in a bind if they want Murray. Basically there is only 1 team they can trade with to guarantee them Murray and Columbus could play hardball with them to say why should we give you much to move up(and threaten they are taking Murray if Nail is taken first so no use trading beyond 2nd)

Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I know this is like beating a dead horse, however earlier this morning on TSN 1050 radio Darren Dreger was on discussing what Edmonton is likely to do at the draft. He said that his sense is that the Oilers don't simply take Yakupov at No. 1. They need to add on defense, and this may force them to trade down..

I know Edmonton seems to be extremely high on Murray. How can they set up a trade that gets them Murray and another defense man?

So going down 1 spot gets you a solid defenseman? Depends how solid you're thinking here but go down 3-4 spots and maybe you can get a d-man like Schenn. Now, a lot of oilers fans would say it would have to be Schenn+ but find me a trade to move up 4 spots in the draft that costed more than Schenn.

Anyway, at 5 Murray may be gone anyway, he may be gone at 2 as well. Just my point is don't expect much value for a team going up a spot especially when they know you want murray.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So going down 1 spot gets you a solid defenseman? Depends how solid you're thinking here but go down 3-4 spots and maybe you can get a d-man like Schenn. Now, a lot of oilers fans would say it would have to be Schenn+ but find me a trade to move up 4 spots in the draft that costed more than Schenn.

Anyway, at 5 Murray may be gone anyway, he may be gone at 2 as well. Just my point is don't expect much value for a team going up a spot especially when they know you want murray.

Murrey wont get out of the top three.
Don't see the oilers trading down for reinhart

Old
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
facts

Quote:

Why not draft yak and then let the dust settle. If what we are hearing he is the best player in this draft by far. so draft him let whoever draft murray and then work from there. if its the isles the oilers will get the package they want

Old
06-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

They should stay at #1 and take who they truly believe is the best player available. They have plenty of trade assets to build a formidable D-core

Old
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Completely agree. I merely meant to say if you expect to move down 1 spot AND aquire a solid d-man...it isn't happening. Oilers would need to add.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

cue the leaf trade proposals

Old
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Snotbubbles

Draft BPA. If that happens to be a forward, so be it.

Use your forward pieces to obtain a defenseman.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
While I respect your psychic powers logic suggests he will not go until at least fourth unless the oilers trade down since niether CBJ or MON need D nearly as badly as they need forwards.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Why not draft yak and then let the dust settle. If what we are hearing he is the best player in this draft by far. so draft him let whoever draft murray and then work from there. if its the isles the oilers will get the package they want
I agree. Team isn't planning on winning the cup next season. I'd let them battle it out and then make a decision on which of their top guns can be parted with in order to turn them into a cup contender. For all we know Yakupov ends up being a Malkin or Kovalchuk. Definitely not players you want to be passing over. However Tambellini cant start screwing around with the core this early,it can affects the teams mentality. May be beneficial to make a decision sooner rather than later.. who knows..

Old
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Looks like snotbubbles and I are on the same page

Old
06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Buffalo could save them the trouble of drafting & developing Murray and just trade you an established top-2 d-man....

How about

to

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 1st RND pick [12th]
2012 2nd RND pick [44th]

Oilers get an excellent 2-way d-man with the same size & skill-set as Murray, as well as a mid-round 1st to select Ceci or Maatta & a decent 2nd.

To

2012 1st RND pick [1st]

Sabres could take Yakupov, or ensure they get their centreman by grabbing Galchenyuk first O/A.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
I know this is like beating a dead horse,
I agree.

/thread

P.S. If I'm a team in the 2 slot, I don't offer the Oilers anything to move up. Make them decide between drafting the Dman they sorely need and letting Yak fall to me without giving up a thing, or drafting Yak and continuing to have nothing of value in net or on D. There is no incentive for teams near the Oilers to trade up and do the Oilers a favour. If EDM drafts Yak, so be it.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Take Yakupov and in 2 years trade the least wanted, or one asking for the most money out of Yakupov, Hall, Eberle and the Nuge and trade them for a defenseman.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Buffalo could save them the trouble of drafting & developing Murray and just trade you an established top-2 d-man....

How about

to

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 1st RND pick [12th]
2012 2nd RND pick [44th]

Oilers get an excellent 2-way d-man with the same size & skill-set as Murray, as well as a mid-round 1st to select Ceci or Maatta & a decent 2nd.

To

2012 1st RND pick [1st]

Sabres could take Yakupov, or ensure they get their centreman by grabbing Galchenyuk first O/A.
Sekera and the 44th isn't nearly enough to move from 12 to 1, IMO. At minimum, it would require the 12 and 21, and I still doubt Edmonton would do it.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Take Yakupov and in 2 years trade the least wanted, or one asking for the most money out of Yakupov, Hall, Eberle and the Nuge and trade them for a defenseman.
This.

Please don't **** this one up Tambo.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

How about

to

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 1st RND pick [12th]
2012 2nd RND pick [44th]

To

2012 1st RND pick [1st]

I like Sekera, but he isn't the main piece to acquiring the 1st overall pick. Not even close. We aren't moving down that many spots for a top 4 d-man

Old
06-13-2012, 08:59 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
While I respect your psychic powers logic suggests he will not go until at least fourth unless the oilers trade down since niether CBJ or MON need D nearly as badly as they need forwards.
I think BJS will be active on draft with the Nash and I think they will end up with another top 15 pick, BJS will be the team to watch at the draft

Old
06-13-2012, 09:01 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lundegaard View Post
They should stay at #1 and take who they truly believe is the best player available. They have plenty of trade assets to build a formidable D-core
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Draft BPA. If that happens to be a forward, so be it.

Use your forward pieces to obtain a defenseman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It's good to see some non-Oiler fans who get it as opposed to the folks saying that the Oilers absolutely have to draft a defenseman with the 1st pick or trade down at all costs.
Especially in a draft like this where there is a clear cut BPA, you have to take the BPA and worry about needs later.

Also, i'm pretty sure that Yakupov's value will only go up from here on out as he becomes more proven in the league so they might as well draft him and trade him at a later time for a proven top pairing defenseman if need be.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a very real possibility that the Oilers trade down which IMO, will be a big mistake unless a team is willing to massively overpay.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:05 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I like Sekera, but he isn't the main piece to acquiring the 1st overall pick. Not even close. We aren't moving down that many spots for a top 4 d-man
Apparently you missed the World Comps. Sekera is a #2 d man all day long, he was easily the best D man at the worlds and his NHL career has progressed into a great 2way shut down D man.

He was easily Buffalo's best Dman this past season.

I do agree with you it would take Sekera, the 12th, the 21st, and in my humble opinion, a defensive prospect such as Pysyk, or McNabb. That is, if Edmonton is looking to bolster the defensive stable, which it sounds like they are.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Sounds like Oilers management is leaking Rumors to start a bidding war jmo.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Apparently you missed the World Comps. Sekera is a #2 d man all day long, he was easily the best D man at the worlds and his NHL career has progressed into a great 2way shut down D man.

He was easily Buffalo's best Dman this past season.

I do agree with you it would take Sekera, the 12th, the 21st, and in my humble opinion, a defensive prospect such as Pysyk, or McNabb. That is, if Edmonton is looking to bolster the defensive stable, which it sounds like they are.
He was your best d-man yet was 4th in ES time on ice per game, 5th in Short handed and 4th in PP time. Screams #2 d-man. I also don't take what happened at the world's too seriously. If I did than Patrick Thoreson is a first liner

Old
Komarov77

Draft Murray problem solved. He aint that much worse than Nail and Edm really needs great d.

Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Sounds like Oilers management is leaking Rumors to start a bidding war jmo.
Possibly be true. If the Oilers do in fact want Murray, then they won't be dropping down far.

Unless someone offers them a similarly talented dman...

Closed Thread