HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sylvain Lefebvre named Hamilton Bulldogs head coach

Old
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Obviously Jodoin isn't seen as future coach material for the Habs. Would you say he did a great job in Hamilton?
I do not follow the Dogs closely (note to RDS2 and TVA sports: I would pay to watch them in HD!) but he had to work with a completely depleted line-up. Jodoin has a good hockey mind... but my top choices as NHL assistants coaches remain Groulx and Robinson.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He was the one who had major impact on all things realted to their D and he was the one who made decisions about defensive pairings, he was the one who decided that playing O'Brien with EJ is a good idea, he's the one who completely forgot about Wilson (who played great alongside EJ before he got injured) after he got healthy, he's the one who split up Hejda and EJ (that was a good decision at that time, since Hejda was a trainwreck) after they weren't playing good for the 1st handful of games, but then he didn't put them back together (not even for a single game just to give it a go) when Hejda started to play better, insted Hejda and O'Byrne were used a shutdown pair (and they were good at it), but those two lack ability (and by that I mean that they don't have any at all) to move the puck.

So EJ played with O'Brien who's a trainwreck waiting to happen and was forced to clean up SOB's mess, insted of focusing more on the offensive side of the game while playing good defensively. So Avs whole top 4 was virtually of no help to their offense because of this personnel decisons (it's still mindboggling to me that O'Reilly and Landeskog managed to get that much points depite having Hejda and ROB as the defensive pairing that was most on the ice alongside them). Quincey did good offensively for the 1st 20 games or so, but after that he played like crap offensively (he was his usual turnover and bad penalty taking machine from the get go) as usual, he always starts the season hot and then gets cold after the 20 game mark.
No matter how much you polish a turd.....it will remain a turd.

The Avalanche d-corps is one of the worst/least talented units in the league. Lefebrve was being asked to sculpt a masterpiece out of a block of dung.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
No matter how much you polish a turd.....it will remain a turd.

The Avalanche d-corps is one of the worst/least talented units in the league. Lefebrve was being asked to sculpt a masterpiece out of a block of dung.
No he wasn't, he was asked to utilize his players strenghts and IMHO he failed to do so.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
No he wasn't, he was asked to utilize his players strenghts and IMHO he failed to do so.
No offense, but their just weren't any "strengths" to be capitalized upon. It truly was an awful unit.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
habitue*

Quote:

Was he the head coach of the Avs ?

Were they a "talented" d-corp ?

Were they a talented team overall ?

Have you checked the goalies they had over the last few years ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
No offense, but their just weren't any "strengths" to be capitalized upon. It truly was an awful unit.
Well if you say so, you probably think Erik Johnson is no good. I saw them play every game since he was their assistant coach and there's a lot of things that one can say about their defensive unit, well coached sure as hell isn't on of them.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
I hope Jodoin's coming as an assistant. Definitely seems like a player's coach, could be a ying to Therrien's yang.
He was already assistant coach during Therrien's first tenure. I guess it makes sense that he's brought in again now that's he;s back as coach.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:51 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Well if you say so, you probably think Erik Johnson is no good. I saw them play every game since he was their assistant coach and there's a lot of things that one can say about their defensive unit, well coached sure as hell isn't on of them.
Erik Johnson is ONE player. The only one with some real talent.

There is also reasons he was traded from St-Louis...

Blaming an assistant coach...

Old
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Was he the head coach of the Avs ?

Were they a "talented" d-corp ?

Were they a talented team overall ?

Have you checked the goalies they had over the last few years ?
Well I had to since I'm a fan of theirs (I also fail to see what goalies have to do with the way their defense played and they had two pretty good ones in JSG and Varlamov this season) and I know what I'm talking about. He was the guy responsible for managing the defensive pairings and defensive assignments and he did a poor job IMHO, but please enlighten me and tell me how wrong I am.

FTR I'm pretty sure you won't find any Avs fans who are sad about him leaving.

As for their defense the Avs entered this season with 3 clear cut NHL top 4 defensman (EJ who at worst a high end #2, Hejda and Quincey) and two borderline ones (O'Byrne, Wilson, both better suited for #5 role, but can play in the top 4 in shorter stints if needed) and a bunch 3rd pairing d-man. Not a great group but certainly not cannon fodder either.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:02 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Well I had to since I'm a fan of theirs (I also fail to see what goalies have to do with the way their defense played and they had two pretty good ones in JSG and Varlamov this season) and I know what I'm talking about. He was the guy responsible for managing the defensive pairings and defensive assignments and he did a poor job IMHO, but please enlighten me and tell me how wrong I am.

As for their defense the Avs entered this season with 3 clear cut NHL top 4 defensman (EJ who at worst a high end #2, Hejda and Quincey) and two borderline ones (O'Byrne, Wilson, both better suited for #5 role, but can play in the top 4 in shorter stints if needed) and a bunch 3rd pairing d-man. Not a great group but certainly not cannon fodder either.
Who cares about an assistant coach, but you ?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Erik Johnson is ONE player. The only one with some real talent.

There is also reasons he was traded from St-Louis...

Blaming an assistant coach...
Yes there is, they had Pietrangelo and they needed scoring help up front (Stewart was supposed to bring it and was considered a great young talent back then) and they got a good young defensman going back the other way in Shatty. You make it sound like he was traded for scraps.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
People cared about Perry Pearn. People cared about Kirk Muller.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
So assistant coaches don't matter? What's the point in having them in the 1st place if that's the case? Let the HC do everything and be done with it.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
A lot of us do. Don't pretend to speak for the rest of us. And that being said, for someone who 'doesn't care about an assistant coach', you seem to be quite interested in the discussion here.

As for Lefebvre, I'll be cautiously optimistic about him. I sincerely doubt he sticks in the organization if he disappointing with the group of rookies we've got coming in next year. Always liked him as a player so I hope he does some good.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

That is a steaming pile of dung. EJ has tools but hasn't played like a top pairing d-man yet, and the jury is still out on whether he will ever come close to his draft day potential. As for the rest of that group....they are all bottom pairing d-men mixed in with fringe NHLers. Try and name a worse group of d-men in the NHL than that crew.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:09 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
A lot of us do. Don't pretend to speak for the rest of us. And that being said, for someone who 'doesn't care about an assistant coach', you seem to be quite interested in the discussion here.

As for Lefebvre, I'll be cautiously optimistic about him. I sincerely doubt he sticks in the organization if he disappointing with the group of rookies we've got coming in next year. Always liked him as a player so I hope he does some good.
If I seem "that interested" it's because I rarely heard aany other fans base being so critical about assistant-coaches. Here we are even questioning the water boy competence.

Bergevin has tons of other options for the head coaching job in Hamilton. If he has chosen Lefebvre, I believe it's for the right reasons.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
People cared about Perry Pearn. People cared about Kirk Muller.
Exactly. Assistant coaches aren't there just so that HC has someone to talk to during games, they actually have a job to do.

I have my doubts about Sylvain Lefebvre and I won't hide them, I just hope I'm wrong for the sake of our young players coming up in Hamilton.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:13 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Exactly. Assistant coaches aren't there just so that HC has someone to talk to during games, they actually have a job to do.

I have my doubts about Sylvain Lefebvre and I won't hide them, I just hope I'm wrong for the sake of our young players coming up in Hamilton.
How come he was not "fired" before ? Avs' management doesn't know as much hockey as you ?

Old
06-13-2012, 10:15 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
If I seem "that interested" it's because I rarely heard aany other fans base being so critical about assistant-coaches. Here we are even questioning the water boy competence.

Bergevin has tons of other options for the head coaching job in Hamilton. If he has chosen Lefebvre, I believe it's for the right reasons.
Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens fanbase. Here we care about everything. Want a brochure?

It's a good thing, it means the fans care enough to ask questions. Blindly nodding your head to every decision without thinking or discussing it seems like a pretty stupid route to go, considering we're on a discussion board.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Fair enough......

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on Lefebvre and time will tell whether your fears are well founded.

I am pretty neutral on the hiring as he is an unknown commodity as a head coach. IMO he was in a terrible situation in Colorado where he did manage to temporarily get a brutal defence corps to hold the fort until their inevitable collapse.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Welcome to the Montreal Canadiens fanbase. Here we care about everything. Want a brochure?

It's a good thing, it means the fans care enough to ask questions. Blindly nodding your head to every decision without thinking or discussing it seems like a pretty stupid route to go, considering we're on a discussion board.
You should know I'm not the type of fan who is "blindly nodding my head to every decision..."

Old
06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Totally agree........but we also have a huge flock of sheep who regurgitate everything they hear from the flapping heads in the media. The ridiculous truisms that flow on this board are frustrating.

That being said this board is also home to many of the best posters on HF.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
You should know I'm not the type of fan who is "blindly nodding my head to every decision..."
I know. Which is why it's weird for me to see you question others who want to discuss the matter at hand. Ivan is bringing an outsider's perspective, which is not something we get all the time here.

Just because he had his failings in Colorado doesn't mean he can't succeed here.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:32 AM
The Price is Right

Why is all our management turning to French people. I got nothing against french people but there are good English speaking people out there too not liking this looks like its the media who is controlling this...

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

For what it's worth, Lefebvre has played as a player under Pat Burns (3 times), Marc Crawford (while he had Martin & Quenneville as assistant coaches), Bob Hartley, John Muckler (with Tortorella as assistant), Ron Low and Glen Sather. So he has seen many different coaching styles!

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote