HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Select-A-Seat

Old
06-12-2012, 09:52 AM
SAINDON

vCash: 500
Select-A-Seat

Anyone going to pick their season tickets this week? This is my first year, not sure what to expect or what seats will be available - hopefully some good ones.

Has anyone been before, whats it like?

Thanks

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

When is your time? That plays a role in what you see.
The Flyers site has the usual limited availability warnings they've posted in recent years. Don't let that scare you off. There's usually plenty to choose from, though it depends what you are looking for. The last time I went, they said they had nothing in the first seven rows of the upper level on the side where the Flyers shoot twice. I found two seats in Row 4, so I moved from the end where the Flyers only shot once.
I go most every year; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain if you find seats you like better.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I have gone a couple of times and we have a very, very early slot since we have had a Season Ticket account since the early Seventies... There never is any better seats than ours, and most of the decent seats I've seen have been singles, and there are mostly ends or higher rows. If you have a good location, I'd expect you will not find better a one... keeping in mind that all seats are ones given up.

That said, I have to mention that I have not been there since the Row Pricing Restructuring took effect... and I suppose it is possible that some STHs make have been priced out. Please keep in mind that the time slots go by longevity which often brings the better locations... so if you are only a recent STHer and have a later slot your chances are slim, even if there are available seats.

On the upside, you cannot lose because they lay out a great spread which in the past included shrimp.

... I will not be attending this time since it looks like my partner will be bowing out after our 23.5% increase followed by the across the board one coming up this season... I will continue, but no sense trying to talk him into bumping up the cost for one season if we did find a better location... But the shrimp is tempting. haha

Edit: FWIW I was talking in reference to the Mezzanine Level only.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I have gone a couple of times and we have a very, very early slot since we have had a Season Ticket account since the early Seventies... There never is any better seats than ours, and most of the decent seats I've seen have been singles, and there are mostly ends or higher rows. If you have a good location, I'd expect you will not find better a one... keeping in mind that all seats are ones given up.

That said, I have to mention that I have not been there since the Row Pricing Restructuring took effect... and I suppose it is possible that some STHs make have been priced out. Please keep in mind that the time slots go by longevity which often brings the better locations... so if you are only a recent STHer and have a later slot your chances are slim, even if there are available seats.

On the upside, you cannot lose because they lay out a great spread which in the past included shrimp.

... I will not be attending this time since it looks like my partner will be bowing out after our 23.5% increase followed by the across the board one coming up this season... I will continue, but no sense trying to talk him into bumping up the cost for one season if we did find a better location... But the shrimp is tempting. haha

Edit: FWIW I was talking in reference to the Mezzanine Level only.
Key words about the shrimp ... "in the past." The last couple of SAS sessions featured an open concession stand. The selection might be limited, but there is something for everyone. I was able to move one section over to get on an aisle. Considered moving higher to save a few bucks, but nothing jumped out at me. But there were seats available in every row of the upper level, and some surprisingly good seats in the lower level.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Key words about the shrimp ... "in the past." The last couple of SAS sessions featured an open concession stand. The selection might be limited, but there is something for everyone. I was able to move one section over to get on an aisle. Considered moving higher to save a few bucks, but nothing jumped out at me. But there were seats available in every row of the upper level, and some surprisingly good seats in the lower level.
Murph... are you speaking of last season?... I don't believe we went last season... When we went I know there were no 'pairs' on the first row -- unless there were some on the ends -- We were ideally looking for the first row to avoid the clowns who must sit on the very edge of their seats and block a good chunk of the ice... and get real indignant when we politely ask them to sit back so we can see also -- but were considering willing to trade a row or two for a section or two... we are between the FO Circle and the Blue Line... there were no pairs at all in the front sections between the Blue Lines though... and as I said, that was with a very early time slot.

When I talked to the STH Rep at the game complaining about the Row Pricing Reconfiguring that was chasing away my partner he suggested moving back to save... but when pressed he admitted that there were no pairs available except for high up or ends -- They really couldn't care less if anyone gives up a good location because they would have them sold before the ink dried on the release letter -- I have to admit that I was no paying attention to seats that were not on par or better than ours, but I'd be shocked to see any pairs in the first few rows of the Mezzanine... and hat includes ends.

To me unless you want to move to the Lower Bowl the best bet on the Selection Night is to move to the end the Flyers shoot twice... or to improve poor seats... But as I said, I haven't been there the past couple seasons... and now that I know there is no shrimp, don't look for me there in the future. LOL

Old
06-13-2012, 09:49 AM
SAINDON

Thanks for the info. I am not selecting until Thursday, so my expectations are not very high. I understand you have to start somewhere with the hopes of getting better seats in the future years, so we will see.

I also agree it can be annoying with folks on the edge of the seats in front of you, which is why I am not opposed to selecting row 15 if available.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Upper level had a couple of singles in Row 1 and pairs in Row 2 on the Flyers shoot once end, and a pair in Sect. 207A.

End where Flyers shoot once:
219A Row 1 had a pair
219 and 219A each had a pair in Row 2
220 had three together in Row 2

Also, just outside the Center 6:
215 had pairs in Rows 3 & 4

End where Flyers shoot twice:
207A had three together in Row 4
208 had a pair in Row 4 (these were really nice seats with good neighbors)

Last edited by Murphy7: 06-13-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old
06-13-2012, 10:58 AM
SAINDON

Murph - thanks for the info - I know if some of those are available tomorrow (fingers crossed), they will be gone if I see them.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Upper level had a couple of singles in Row 1 and pairs in Row 2 on the Flyers shoot once end, and a pair in Sect. 207A.

End where Flyers shoot once:
219A Row 1 had a pair
219 and 219A each had a pair in Row 2
220 had three together in Row 2

Also, just outside the Center 6:
215 had pairs in Rows 3 & 4

End where Flyers shoot twice:
207A had three together in Row 4
208 had a pair in Row 4 (these were really nice seats with good neighbors)

IMO the ones in Section 215 are the prize choices... problem is that there are many who attend and few worth switching to. But the more unhappy people are in with their current location, the better chance they have of moving to one they'll like better.

Please don't get me wrong from my earlier posts... I believe it is a wonderful program and for what it is, it serves a real good purpose... The Flyers are doing a good service by offering the program. I just wanted to put out there, for anyone who has not attended, what to expect... it is what it is, and gives a chance to many to improve, but is a waste of time for many more who are long time STHers.

As you may have already guessed, I'm not a fan of end seats for long term seating... but I also realize that everybody has their own preferences and I do not consider mine to me anywhere near the ones for everybody; merely the way I like it.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Murph - thanks for the info - I know if some of those are available tomorrow (fingers crossed), they will be gone if I see them.
Good luck, Dude... Tip: move quickly with a purpose and do not waste time, nor worry about being social until your work is done.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Good luck, Dude... Tip: move quickly with a purpose and do not waste time, nor worry about being social until your work is done.
^ Excellent advice. Know the sections you prefer before they let you into the seating area. Go directly there. Feel free to assert yourself, as it's first-come, first-served (ties broken by seniority).

Also agree with you, Saw, that the longer you've had tickets, the less there is to pick from. But the new pricing model has created some shifts in where STH choose to sit, as does the heftier ticket prices. I could have moved to Row 2 and chose not to because it wasn't worth the extra $8 per game. I'd actually love a Row 8 on the aisle for the extra leg room and the lack of folks in front of you.
Parking is going up 20 percent for next season (if you use their lots, figuring Jetro will go up as well). Surely beer, soda and food will not be cheaper next season.
And, yeah, I prefer sitting on the end to make it easier to see plays develop and keep my line of sight when there is a quick transition. Know plenty of folks, though, that would never sit on the ends.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
^ Excellent advice. Know the sections you prefer before they let you into the seating area. Go directly there. Feel free to assert yourself, as it's first-come, first-served (ties broken by seniority).

Also agree with you, Saw, that the longer you've had tickets, the less there is to pick from. But the new pricing model has created some shifts in where STH choose to sit, as does the heftier ticket prices. I could have moved to Row 2 and chose not to because it wasn't worth the extra $8 per game. I'd actually love a Row 8 on the aisle for the extra leg room and the lack of folks in front of you.
Parking is going up 20 percent for next season (if you use their lots, figuring Jetro will go up as well). Surely beer, soda and food will not be cheaper next season.
And, yeah, I prefer sitting on the end to make it easier to see plays develop and keep my line of sight when there is a quick transition. Know plenty of folks, though, that would never sit on the ends.

Funny thing is that if I wanted to move back a bit as the Flyers so cavalierly suggest to ease the obligation, I could not do so... I would have to go the whole hog route and give up more quality than I'd want to... and save more than I target. I suppose that after my partner quits I could go and quickly grab the best available... if I could get to the seat location before anyone else in my time slot.

That said, while I believe that the Flyers could have still received the same exact revenue increase with an across the board rate increase based on a percentage of their existing STH cost -- Yes, I'm still sore about this haha -- I cannot give up my location after so many seasons... I just cannot walk away from my seats and I will bear the increased cost. As I get older not having to walk up or down becomes more of a perk above the sight-line itself... and there's also the fact that the restrooms are immediately behind us so the lines are not as long by the time we get there, and we need not leave early to get there before it grows -- I can see the Mites-On-ice -- and if an in-game visit is needed, I miss little of the game.

With all this, I agree that the cost of attending is soaring at a breakneck speed as parking and concession cost rise... only saving grace is the concessions are of better quality than they once were, and there is a much, much greater selection and easier to meet dietary requirements than ever before... I attend 50%+ of the games and could never consider more, even if the time spent there was not a concern... I could see the time coming where I sell off more games, and hope that some of the sales can offset the rising costs. When my partner eventually leaves l will be forced to sell off half my games to stay the way I am now... so, at that point I guess it would be a more natural situation for weaning off my half a season rate.

Sorry to take this thread so far off course... I just go on a roll, I guess LOL

Old
06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
SAINDON

Murph, Saw,

Thanks for the info. I am sure this afternoon could resemble Black Friday at Walmart with folks scrambling like mad to select seats.

I prefer a north south view and would love an aisle, but ultimately I will try and select the best seat regardless of section and know an aisle is unlikely to be available.

I'll let you know.