HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft (All NON-Ranger Prospect Discussion Thread - Part II)

Old
06-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Button is a whack job AFAIC. He does this every year. An attention seeker.
So he should just copy and paste other agencies rankings? I'm glad someone has the nads to put out something they believe in. God knows we see this happen EVERY year; there are NHL players found all throughout the draft.

I can't believe people still in this day and age, get twisted up over a kid being ranked a few spots lower than what they are used to seeing.

Saying he's a whack job for slotting a supposedly marquee talent who disappeared late in the season 15 spots lower (still in the first round mind you)?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:32 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
So he should just copy and paste other agencies rankings? I'm glad someone has the nads to put out something they believe in. God knows we see this happen EVERY year; there are NHL players found all throughout the draft.

I can't believe people still in this day and age, get twisted up over a kid being ranked a few spots lower than what they are used to seeing.

Saying he's a whack job for slotting a supposedly marquee talent who disappeared late in the season 15 spots lower (still in the first round mind you)?
Keeping in mind that this is the same guy who waived Martin St. Louis. Didn't know what he had I suppose.

But--no--every year it's the same. Ryan Murray at 13 is a joke. Grigorenko at 20. This isn't even that deep a draft. Not that hard to figure out the top ten to fifteen. Is that nads? or something other?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 02:40 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post

He does this kind of thing all the time, he's almost always wrong, and his career as a GM in the league was a failure. He's a buffoon.

And there's no way Grigorenko will fall out of the top 5.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Some reports saying MacEachern was invited to the Habs internal combine. Means they could be looking at him with #33, #51 (via Nashville), or #63.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Jacques Strap

Just posted this question for Craig Button on the TSN Draft Chat.

7:22
Comment From Dimitri
You have Mark Jankowski rated 14th on Craig's List. Do you actually think he will be picked that high or could a team steal him in the latter part of the 1st round? Also, will Martin Frk be a better player than some of the players you have rated ahead of him?

7:24
Craig Button: I am ranking players based on what I feel their potential as NHL players is, not where I think they will be drafted. That being said, I think that Mark is a terrific longer term prospect and he could be a 'steal' in the draft. I like Martin but feel he's a shooter and more of a one dimensional player. If he ends up in a situation where he's put into those offensive spots and plays with a playmaking center, then he could be better than others ahead.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Some reports saying MacEachern was invited to the Habs internal combine. Means they could be looking at him with #33, #51 (via Nashville), or #63.
Yeah they have a boat load of picks, I can definitely see them taking a chance on him.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think Button is trying to play the Kreider card on Jankowski. Seems like every scout has that "under the radar" prep/HS pick with "raw tools" and "great upside." Not to say Jankowski isn't a good prospect, but I'm not sure I would rate him that high.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think Button is trying to play the Kreider card on Jankowski. Seems like every scout has that "under the radar" prep/HS pick with "raw tools" and "great upside." Not to say Jankowski isn't a good prospect, but I'm not sure I would rate him that high.
Even if that is the case regarding Button and Jankowski, this is an approach I hope the Rangers take with this draft. They need prospects with big upside.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Even if that is the case regarding Button and Jankowski, this is an approach I hope the Rangers take with this draft. They need prospects with big upside.
Preferably forwards with big upside.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Won't argue with you there. This is a good draft to take some risks in.

Liking what I'm hearing about Chandler Stephenson. Jacques Strap mentioned him a week or so ago and I knew very little about him, but from what I've read, he sounds like a great 3rd round pick, or possibly a solid gamble late in the 2nd.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:37 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

pontus aberg. thats who i want in this draft.

may well be available or within reach with some moving. top 6 forward skills easy. natural goal scoring offwing right handed shot.

blazing wheels. sniper/shooter. very very creative player with the puck. smart. sound 2 way game. has a mean streak and will go along the walls. great motor. high compete level with an edge.

not overly large and his physical style of play might be an issue in the nhl.

this is my guy.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 06-13-2012 at 08:46 AM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:47 AM
NYR Viper

Any chance Vasilevski lasts until the Rangers 2nd rounder? Everything I read on him makes him seem like a high potential young goalie.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

may well be available or within reach with some moving. top 6 forward skills easy. natural goal scoring offwing right handed shot.

blazing wheels. sniper/shooter. very very creative player with the puck. smart. sound 2 way game. has a mean streak and will go along the walls. great motor. high compete level with an edge.

this is my guy.
I think we'd have to move up to get him. I don't see him dropping beyond Pittsburgh.

Great player though. His play in the defensive zone is good enough that if he can't crack the top-six in the NHL, he could still find his way into the league as 3rd line PKer if he can add some muscle.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Any chance Vasilevski lasts until the Rangers 2nd rounder? Everything I read on him makes him seem like a high potential young goalie.
Goalies are so hard to predict but I'd have to imagine Subban and Dansk get picked before him. Guess it just depends on who wants a goalie. I think the Devils will take one of those two guys. To be honest, I'd rather just take our chances with several lower-round picks over the years hoping one pans out.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
I think we'd have to move up to get him. I don't see him dropping beyond Pittsburgh.

Great player though. His play in the defensive zone is good enough that if he can't crack the top-six in the NHL, he could still find his way into the league as 3rd line PKer if he can add some muscle.
hes got too much skill for a checking role but agreed, he will play in the nhl.

im always drawn to players who skate like this kid. his stride is so effortless and his first few steps so dangerous. hes faster with the puck on his stick and thats intoxicating. his release is laser fast as well. plus, he brings it in all 3 zones.

my swedish buddy said he would be a hybrid of hagelin and stepan. if you could combine those 2 into one player, you would have pontus aberg.

not so sure but i thought that was kinda cool.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Doubtful. I think the Devils will take him at #29. If not, Columbus, Edmonton, and Tampa Bay all select within the next 8 picks, so I think we'll see Vasilevski and Subban off the board at the very least. Probably Oscar Dansk as well.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
I don't think so, he's the top rated goalie in some peoples minds. Plus he killed it at the combine, big, strong athletic goalie.

So many drafts we've seen some really bad tenders taken high because of organizational need. This draft has at least 3 solid 1st round talent goalies and no one gets excited over picking either of them.

Personally I won't be upset if we take one of the 3 at #28. A valuable asset is a valuable asset and depth pushes your stars to push themselves. Jon Quick has had 1st round pick Bernier knockin on the door right behind him the last few years.

As far as Aberg, I'd be surprised to see him at #28, BUT someone always falls. I could see a scenario where he drops, a few off the board picks from 18-27 could make a number of guys drop.

I like Aberg, very skilled, and good strength at his size. Another case of limited icetime in Europe, would have loved to see him in NA playing against his age group. But if I'm hoping a Berg slides down its Collberg not Aberg

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Goaltenders could end up driving the Rangers draft strategy. Unlike everyone else here, I expect they will pick a goaltender in the first two rounds. I could definitely see them trading back into the second round if they felt that the goaltender they wanted would be avauilable there. The Rangers have been lucky with Henrik's health. We don't need or want a Peyton Manning situation here.We are one concussion away from having a mess in goal.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Goaltenders could end up driving the Rangers draft strategy. Unlike everyone else here, I expect they will pick a goaltender in the first two rounds. I could definitely see them trading back into the second round if they felt that the goaltender they wanted would be avauilable there. The Rangers have been lucky with Henrik's health. We don't need or want a Peyton Manning situation here.We are one concussion away from having a mess in goal.
When you have the world's greatest goalie you are always a concussion away from having a mess in goal.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I don't think so, he's the top rated goalie in some peoples minds. Plus he killed it at the combine, big, strong athletic goalie.

So many drafts we've seen some really bad tenders taken high because of organizational need. This draft has at least 3 solid 1st round talent goalies and no one gets excited over picking either of them.

Personally I won't be upset if we take one of the 3 at #28. A valuable asset is a valuable asset and depth pushes your stars to push themselves. Jon Quick has had 1st round pick Bernier knockin on the door right behind him the last few years.

As far as Aberg, I'd be surprised to see him at #28, BUT someone always falls. I could see a scenario where he drops, a few off the board picks from 18-27 could make a number of guys drop.

I like Aberg, very skilled, and good strength at his size. Another case of limited icetime in Europe, would have loved to see him in NA playing against his age group. But if I'm hoping a Berg slides down its Collberg not Aberg
Agreed. Especially with your last bit. Love Collberg. If he fell into the 20's, I might consider trading up to grab him.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Agreed. Especially with your last bit. Love Collberg. If he fell into the 20's, I might consider trading up to grab him.
I think his size is the only detractor, besides limited views this season. But if you see his combine footage he looks like he's added some muscle. He has great acceleration and lets go a wicked shot, have not seen him ranked outside the top 20 on the lists I've read.

That said, I doubt he slips past Washington with either of their picks.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

this is my guy.
I am all in for Aberg or Mac Squared (though we'd move down for the latter or try and get a higher 2nd).

Love both.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
FWIW this draft will likely see some odd picks and some "clear cut 1st rounders" drop. The talent level from around 15 to 60 is about equal. It's been hard for guys to move around much in that area since they are all kind of similar.

Should be a fun draft. I like our odds of getting at least two solid NHLers in the first two rounds.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Have to agree with several lines of thought here.

Vasilevskii is the best goalie in the draft, or at least between the highest rated ones. Collberg > Aberg.

I would be thrilled if the Rangers managed to land Collberg, but I don't see that happening.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Have to agree with several lines of thought here.

Vasilevskii is the best goalie in the draft, or at least between the highest rated ones. Collberg > Aberg.

I would be thrilled if the Rangers managed to land Collberg, but I don't see that happening.
Collberg loves the Caps and Ovechkin, who have two top 20 picks, throw in the fact he'd be a nice option playing with Left handed Marcus Johansson, just don't see him getting past Washington.