HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parenteau NOT Retained, Signed with Avs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 09:47 AM
  #51
Moosie
Registered User
 
Moosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,029
vCash: 500
I don't mind if Parenteau leaves, as long as Garth replaces his production or signs someone who can outproduce PA. What are the odds of that happening?

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
  #52
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
I don't mind if Parenteau leaves, as long as Garth replaces his production or signs someone who can outproduce PA. What are the odds of that happening?
I would say slim to none. Leaning to none.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
  #53
gordie43
Registered User
 
gordie43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 324
vCash: 500
I don't mind PA signing elsewhere, I kind of see him as Jason Blake part 2.

I also have no problem with Snow not dealing him at the deadline, but the worry I do have is that Snow is not going to find a legit 70 point replacement. You don't lose a first line winger and try to sell me on another promising prospect.

gordie43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
  #54
Trots19
Registered User
 
Trots19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Isles Country Baby!!
Posts: 2,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie43 View Post
I don't mind PA signing elsewhere, I kind of see him as Jason Blake part 2.

I also have no problem with Snow not dealing him at the deadline, but the worry I do have is that Snow is not going to find a legit 70 point replacement. You don't lose a first line winger and try to sell me on another promising prospect.
while they are losing a 70 pt player I think without him and maybe KO on the first line I can see Tavares getting more pts as well as KO and Moulson. So they might lose 1 player with 70 points but get more points out of 3 more players to make up the difference.

Trots19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
  #55
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
Love all the Isles fans jumping up and down on Snows head — suggesting poor asset management, or that he does a bad job retaining players in this latest possibility that somehow we lost P.A.P.

Are these the same fans who were saying last season how much of a joke it was to have P.A.P. on the top line? Were these the same individuals who were suggesting that the ONLY reason P.A.P. is putting up points is because of Tavares?

I have been a fan of P.A.P. since last season when it was clear that he had a touch around the net. He only served to be better this season.

I am a little disappointed that he will test the market. I am sure someone out there will overpay. He is not worth more then 3 years at $4 mil per at this time.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
  #56
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,295
vCash: 500
I hate PAP's game & i'm glad to see him go. I think one of Okposo or Grabner should be on that line and would put up better numbers then PAP.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
  #57
Macch
Registered User
 
Macch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Love all the Isles fans jumping up and down on Snows head — suggesting poor asset management, or that he does a bad job retaining players in this latest possibility that somehow we lost P.A.P.

Are these the same fans who were saying last season how much of a joke it was to have P.A.P. on the top line? Were these the same individuals who were suggesting that the ONLY reason P.A.P. is putting up points is because of Tavares?

I have been a fan of P.A.P. since last season when it was clear that he had a touch around the net. He only served to be better this season.

I am a little disappointed that he will test the market. I am sure someone out there will overpay. He is not worth more then 3 years at $4 mil per at this time.


The worst part about possible losing PAP is the lack of depth the Isles have. Lets face it, they're not going to sign a replacement. More likely they'll rush another young player to the NHL.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:45 AM
  #58
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
The worst part about possible losing PAP is the lack of depth the Isles have. Lets face it, they're not going to sign a replacement. More likely they'll rush another young player to the NHL.
exactly!!! Listen I was not a fan of PAP in the beginning of the season but his play and hustle not just on the first line with JT but on the 2nd line proved me wrong. I wanted him back on this team, we lose heavily with him being gone. Lets rush Ryan Strome now? I guess they didnt learn from the Nino fiasco.

Another reason why I am soaking up the summer and enjoying baseball.. I can care less who we draft!! Waiting for the Islanders to start playing is like waiting for the first day of school to begin. DREADFUL!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:46 AM
  #59
twentytwo
Registered User
 
twentytwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 516
Country: United States
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
The most the Isles would have gotten for PA is a 3rd round pick. I would have passed on a 3rd round pick with even a remote chance of retaining a 60 pt + guy. The Isles had more of a "remote" chance at signing him. This is a silly conversation and to blame Snow is ridiculous...

There is no "poor asset management" it's just the way the cookie crumbles and sometimes you can't control what your employees do.


Spot on my friend, spot on. There are things you can fault Garth on, this I don't think is one of them.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  #60
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
I'm amazed how some people are totally fine with giving a player $3M but an extra mil per year and it's an albatross waiting to happen.

IT'S A DROP IN THE BUCKET PEOPLE!!!

Especially because he, in all likelihood, will be replaced by no one.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM
  #61
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin 36 View Post
I hate PAP's game & i'm glad to see him go. I think one of Okposo or Grabner should be on that line and would put up better numbers then PAP.
PAP did something that neither Grabner or KO could do...produce without JT. Heck Grabner and KO after a couple of weeks couldn't produce WITH JT.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:12 AM
  #62
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
The worst part about possible losing PAP is the lack of depth the Isles have. Lets face it, they're not going to sign a replacement. More likely they'll rush another young player to the NHL.
Thats the problem. We all know thats whats going to happen. He is NOT going to go out and sign someone to replace that production. Just not gonna happen.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
  #63
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
PAP did something that neither Grabner or KO could do...produce without JT. Heck Grabner and KO after a couple of weeks couldn't produce WITH JT.
No hands Grabner? Would rather have PAP on that line that Grabner.

I would go as high as the Jones contract 4/16. I think that is plenty fair considering he made 1.4 million last year I believe. Someone wwill pay him more IMO.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:16 AM
  #64
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,874
vCash: 50
I think Okposo's late season surge is what lead Garth to stand his ground on the deal he offered P.A. I hope that Okposo can replace P.A.'s production on the first line, all that means is someone either steps up or we sign a Kostitsyn type winger to fill in on the second line.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:19 AM
  #65
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I think Okposo's late season surge is what lead Garth to stand his ground on the deal he offered P.A. I hope that Okposo can replace P.A.'s production on the first line, all that means is someone either steps up or we sign a Kostitsyn type winger to fill in on the second line.
Not him please.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:23 AM
  #66
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
PAP did something that neither Grabner or KO could do...produce without JT. Heck Grabner and KO after a couple of weeks couldn't produce WITH JT.
Okposo spent the month of Jan. and the last 4-5 games of the season, on Tavares wing.
His most productive months are below.


Dec: 9 pts
Jan:12 pts
March:11 pts

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players...s/2011/1493839

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
  #67
seafoam
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,874
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Not him please.
Kostitsyn type

Second line player good for 15-20 goals

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
  #68
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
I think Okposo's late season surge is what lead Garth to stand his ground on the deal he offered P.A. I hope that Okposo can replace P.A.'s production on the first line, all that means is someone either steps up or we sign a Kostitsyn type winger to fill in on the second line.
I thought the isles were going to use Petrov in the top 6,if Parenteau bolted.
Based on his comments about wanting to play in the NHL,I have to think the isles were feeling confident about adding the big winger to their lineup.

The ufa market is so weak,I don't think beggers can be choosey.I expect Snow to be wooing Kostitsyn,Huseluis,kicking the tires on Boyes.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
  #69
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,746
vCash: 500
I'm sure our PP will be pretty good without him. Not really. Probably more passion than either Grabner or Okposo. I warmed to him over the last two years and would like to see him retained.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:31 AM
  #70
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
I think that all those wringing their hands over losing P.A. should remember he will turn 30 before the end of the next season. He had one big year and couldn't crack the Rangers lineup for a number of years with their offensive weaknesses during that period. One year wonder screams all over this and i think Garth believes one of his kids is going to step up into that slot.

It is also fair to point out that trading him last year would have sent the wrong message to a young team. And who really thought back then the salary cap was going up? Most of the journalism back then was about a potential work stoppage and a LOWER cap. Under that scenario P.A. would have been likely to sign for a reasonable number. The Jones contract changed everything and its silly to think we would upset our salary hierarchy by paying him so much more than Okposo for example.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:38 AM
  #71
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Okposo spent the month of Jan. and the last 4-5 games of the season, on Tavares wing.
His most productive months are below.


Dec: 9 pts
Jan:12 pts
March:11 pts

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players...s/2011/1493839
IIRC Cappy moved KO off of JT's wing in January when his production completely fell off a cliff.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:45 AM
  #72
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
I think that all those wringing their hands over losing P.A. should remember he will turn 30 before the end of the next season.
What, having a veteran player in the prime of his career? To quote Kurtz from Heart Of Darkness, "The horror! The horror!"

Quote:
He had one big year and couldn't crack the Rangers lineup for a number of years with their offensive weaknesses during that period. One year wonder screams all over this and i think Garth believes one of his kids is going to step up into that slot.
P.A. Parenteau scored more points than any Ranger other than Gaborik this year. There was nothing in his play this year that screamed unsustainable; looked more like improvement to me

Quote:
It is also fair to point out that trading him last year would have sent the wrong message to a young team.
As does letting him go via free agency over pennies.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
  #73
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
With PAP this team is a bottom-10 finish, without PAP this team is a bottom-10 finish; PAP isn't much of a difference maker so I am not concerned about the loss. In addition, we don't know what was being offered for PAP at the deadline, could have been a 2nd rounder or middling prospects; again, a loss I can deal with.

My bigger concern is what management does with the remaining cap space, if they reach the min. with legit. contracts, and if they go above the min. (unlikely). Each of these factors will have a greater impact than PAP.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 11:58 AM
  #74
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
With PAP this team is a bottom-10 finish, without PAP this team is a bottom-10 finish; PAP isn't much of a difference maker so I am not concerned about the loss. In addition, we don't know what was being offered for PAP at the deadline, could have been a 2nd rounder or middling prospects; again, a loss I can deal with.

My bigger concern is what management does with the remaining cap space, if they reach the min. with legit. contracts, and if they go above the min. (unlikely). Each of these factors will have a greater impact than PAP.
I respectfully disagree with the Ralph Kiner logic.

With PAP we are a bottom 10 team, but without him we bury ourselves even deeper into the ground.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
  #75
leeroggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
What, having a veteran player in the prime of his career? To quote Kurtz from Heart Of Darkness, "The horror! The horror!"

P.A. Parenteau scored more points than any Ranger other than Gaborik this year. There was nothing in his play this year that screamed unsustainable; looked more like improvement to me

As does letting him go via free agency over pennies.
No, but it certainly is fair to ask why it took so long to establish himself. Can you think of anyone else who had their breakthrough season at 29 who played in the AHL for so long? He might have scored more than most Rangers this year but when he played with the Rangers he certainly didn't produce like this. And I think the same about Moulson, who did nothing without JT. Are you really comfortable paying P.A. more than you are paying Moulson? Because that is what it will take to keep him.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.