HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 Draft Thread (con't.) - 12, 21, 42, 44, 73, 133, 163, 193, 204

Old
06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
200' possession game, high skill level and high character... this is a guy to build around.
the problem is... how/why does Columbus trade out of Galchenyuk? After reaming themselves last year?

Galchenyuk is another "too good to be possible" scenario... which is frustrating as hell... since we should've blown this **** up last year...

Galchenyuk and Couturier... oh what could have been...

I hate the Rochester core

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
the problem is... how/why does Columbus trade out of Galchenyuk? After reaming themselves last year?

Galchenyuk is another "too good to be possible" scenario... which is frustrating as hell... since we should've blown this **** up last year...

The optimist in me will continue to believe that Howson thinks adding several "good" young pieces like McNabb/Armia/12th overall will accelerate the team's rebuild, albeit stunt their need for top-end players.

The optimist in me thinks the package they garner for Nash plus the package they get for #2 really could make them far more competitive...but the realist in me knows Howson wants Galchenyuk because you build around great players, not several good ones.

Then the optimist in me realizes The Jackets haven't exactly had luck in developing their top picks...

**** my life.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

I actually had the "they could've had a guy like this last year if they'd started the rebuild in fall of 2010" but didn't want to relive the memory.

It seems unlikely that either the Oil or C'bus moves for what Buffalo could make as a good offer. But, they need to try.

06-13-2012, 10:51 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
The optimist in me will continue to believe that Howson thinks adding several "good" young pieces like McNabb/Armia/12th overall will accelerate the team's rebuild, albeit stunt their need for top-end players.

The package they garner for Nash plus the package they get for #2 really could make them far more competitive...but the realist in me knows Howson wants Galchenyuk because you build around great players, not several good ones.
The pending Nash trade makes me think it's less likely that C'bus moves the 2nd pick for a volume of picks & prospects. They will get their volume from the Nash deal and then keep the 2nd pick to add an impact player.

That's the way I would approach it if I were in their shoes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=220

Quote:
The bike tests at the end were really tough. You might think it's strange to have them duct tape your feet to the pedals or have them scream in your face, but I'm glad they did. I was actually wanting them to tape me in and I'm happy they did. You don't want to lose any seconds or power because your feet are moving. And my dad screams all the time at me to push me, so I got used to that. It was good. I like that they take the time and help me get better.

It was hard, but I'm a competitive person. I want to give everything out. On the Wingate I gave 100 percent, same on the VO2 -- 100 percent. I feel really relieved and happy about myself right now.
That is freaking awesome.

I'd give up Ennis and 12 for #2. Although, I might offer up Vanek & 12 first.

The other question is could the Sabres get up to 3 [with Montreal there, I doubt it] or 4 if C'bus goes in another direction, like taking Murray.

Or, could there be a scenario where Edmonton wants to take Murray, so they flip picks with C'bus so they can take Yakupov and Galchenyuk gets to 3+ that way?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 10:54 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
My Sabres picks (I will do my mock in the next 24 hours)

Radek Faksa C
Cody Ceci D
Zegmus Girgensons C
Sebastian Collberg RW
Olli Maata D

Henrik Samuelsson C
Slater Koekkoek D
Tom Hertl C
Brendan Gaunce C
Tom Wilson RW
Scott Laughton C

Mark Jankowski C
Tanner Pearson LW
Tim Bozon LW
Adam Pelech D
Steffan Matteau C

Anyone not snagged at 42
Jarrod Maidens C
Jordan Schmaltz D
Brady Vail C
Matt Murray G
Cristoval Nieves C

Andreas Athanasiou
Matia Marcantuoni C
Mackenzie MacEachern C
Brandon Whitney G
Rhett Holland D

Marcus McIvor D
Daniel Altshuller G
AJ Michaelson D
Justin Hickman C
Nick Walters D
Daniel O'Regan C

Corbin Boes G
Zach Stepan C
Thomas Parisi D
Samuel Fejes LW
Jason Stephanik LW

JC Lipon RW
Cliff Watson D
Loic Leduc D
Andrew Ryan LW
Tobias Tornkvist RW

Alex Gudbranson D
James De Haas D
Tyler Wood D
Ben Thompson LW

Overall

Cody Ceci OHL D
Henrik Samuelsson WHL C/RW
Tanner Pearson OHL LW
Jarrod Maidens OHL RW
Matia Marcantuoni OHL C
Marcus McIvor OHL D
Corbin Boes WHL G
JC Lipon WHL RW
Alex Gudbranson OHL D

5 Forwards
3 Defenseman
1 Goalie

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:04 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
The pending Nash trade makes me think it's less likely that C'bus moves the 2nd pick for a volume of picks & prospects. They will get their volume from the Nash deal and then keep the 2nd pick to add an impact player.

That's the way I would approach it if I were in their shoes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=220

That is freaking awesome.

I'd give up Ennis and 12 for #2. Although, I might offer up Vanek & 12 first.

The other question is could the Sabres get up to 3 [with Montreal there, I doubt it] or 4 if C'bus goes in another direction, like taking Murray.

Or, could there be a scenario where Edmonton wants to take Murray, so they flip picks with C'bus so they can take Yakupov and Galchenyuk gets to 3+ that way?
I am right there with you in wanting Galchenyuk. He was going back and forth with Yakupov last year for the number one overall. Who knows...If he did not get injured he could of very well been the consensus number one overall, especially being a tall strong center which is more valuable then a winger. (Ovechkin or Crosby) Centers are always worth more value to teams.

It will take quite a bit to get him however. IMO he does not slip past the Habs. So that means trading up to 2! I do not think Regier makes a move that involves trading Hodgson who he just got...and Ennis who exploded in the second half of last year. But CBJ are in the beginning stages of a complete rebuild. I'd trade all first 4 picks McNabb and maybe another prospect...Maybe that would get it done?

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp11986

Quote:
3. Alex Galchenyuk, centre, Sarnia Sting (OHL) — Despite only suiting up for eight games this year because of a major knee injury, Galchenyuk is still regarded as one of the top prospects of this year's draft crop because of his outstanding rookie season with the Sting the year before. He scored 31 goals and 83 points in 68 games, not bad for a kid who was barely old enough to drive a car.

The Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs are rumoured to be very interested in the 6-foot-2, 205-pound centre. Therefore, since the Canadiens hold the third pick and the Leafs hold the fifth pick, Galchenyuk seems poised to don an NHL jersey very early at the draft.

Scout's take: "Alex has all the makings of a top-line centre at the next level," says Matt Moran, scout for OHL's Central Scouting. "If he had been healthy all year I think he'd be a sure fire top-3 pick. He has a big, strong frame and a great hockey IQ. While he doesn't have an incredibly explosive stride, he gets to top speed pretty quickly and can dazzle in tight spaces. During his rookie year in the OHL he showed the ability to completely take over a game, which is rare for a first year player in our league. As good of an offensive talent as he is, Alex is also responsible in his own end."
It would appear that the Sabres need to get to 1 or 2 to get Galchenyuk.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:09 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...hockey,wp11986

It would appear that the Sabres need to get to 1 or 2 to get Galchenyuk.
That's the impression I've been operating under. Both organizations, like us, are in dire need of a top-line center.

Leap-frogging both of them to take their guy is gravy.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

TSN final draft rankings has Grigorenko at 20! Faksa at 16! and Murray at 13! WHAT!?!?!!?

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I am right there with you in wanting Galchenyuk. He was going back and forth with Yakupov last year for the number one overall. Who knows...If he did not get injured he could of very well been the consensus number one overall, especially being a tall strong center which is more valuable then a winger. (Ovechkin or Crosby) Centers are always worth more value to teams.

It will take quite a bit to get him however. IMO he does not slip past the Habs. So that means trading up to 2! I do not think Regier makes a move that involves trading Hodgson who he just got...and Ennis who exploded in the second half of last year. But CBJ are in the beginning stages of a complete rebuild. I'd trade all first 4 picks McNabb and maybe another prospect...Maybe that would get it done?
What about this for #2:
12, 21, Enroth, Armia (I'd be ok with giving up McNabb or Pysyk for 2OA too, though)
Howson is kind of dumb, and he's expressed interest in trading that pick. A package like that might be able to get it done.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
TSN final draft rankings has Grigorenko at 20! Faksa at 16! and Murray at 13! WHAT!?!?!!?

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
That's just Craig Button's list. We discussed it earlier in the thread.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:37 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
What about this for #2:
12, 21, Enroth, Armia (I'd be ok with giving up McNabb or Pysyk for 2OA too, though)
Howson is kind of dumb, and he's expressed interest in trading that pick. A package like that might be able to get it done.
Man...That is a lot to give up. Especially giving up Armia who is our highest rated prospect. It is tempting however...We lose our back-up goalie for the next few years as well. I think the list below is more indicative to how the draft plays out. Switching Galc and Grigs.

http://thehockeywriters.com/final-to...or-2012-draft/

Old
06-13-2012, 12:38 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...ark-jankowski/

An interesting composite look at Jankowski.

Quote:
The biggest question mark of the prospects we’ll be covering here at Backhand Shelf is Mark Jankowski, a center with Stanstead College in Quebec who has committed to Providence College for 2013-14. The Dundas, Ont. native hasn’t played any major junior hockey and was not selected in the OHL Entry Draft until his second year of eligibility.

The book on Jankowski is straightforward — he is a big, offensively gifted center who should only get better as time passes. The question marks come from a lack of visibility. The competition he faces with Stanstead College is middling and hasn’t provided the platform adequate to truly get a read on his future. He has also only recently shot up to his 6-foot-2 frame and is currently playing at 170 pounds. He still needs more time to grow into his body and find out how to throw his weight around when it comes along.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:39 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's just Craig Button's list. We discussed it earlier in the thread.
Ah. Thank You. I see the list was just updated a few days ago.

Old
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...ex-galchenyuk/

No Russian factor to see here. Carry on.
At least as far as I was concerned, it wasn't an issue for me. He never seemed like the type who would bail out and go to the KHL.

I think Grigorenko is a slight flight risk...I think he wants to be in the NHL, but if he ends up struggling, the KHL would be tempting.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...no-1-nhl-draft

Quote:
The case for selecting a center at No. 1

There are two way to looks at this.

You could say: Centers have more responsibilities on the ice, so they have more opportunities to make significant offensive contributions. That's why they generally fare better when you look at the metrics. (After all, defensemen usually fare the worst in the GVT metric.)

The other argument is: Centers are usually more skilled players, and they overachieve more often than wingers. In short, they end up being better than we expect. If that's the case, it may be time for the Oilers -- and clubs with the next few picks -- to give Forsberg, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko serious consideration, perhaps before Yakupov, but definitely before the defensemen.

Of course there are inherent risks with these guys: Some worry about Forsberg's skating; Galchenyuk has some injury concerns; Grigorenko has character red flags. And if those concerns make Yakupov the definite top player, take Yakupov. The draft is already a big crapshoot as it is, so not taking the consensus top player is just asking for trouble.

But after all that, if scouts see Yakupov and these centers on the same plane, I'd give the centers a long, hard look.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
What about this for #2:
I'd pass. Armia looks like a potential 40 goal winger,Enroth is still a future starter and the 2 1sts can really bring in 2 very good prospects. Not worth to trade those 4 good assets for 1 potentially great asset. For all we know Armia will become a perennial 50 goal scorer and better then anyone from this draft

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I'd pass. Armia looks like a potential 40 goal winger,Enroth is still a future starter and the 2 1sts can really bring in 2 very good prospects. Not worth to trade those 4 good assets for 1 potentially great asset. For all we know Armia will become a perennial 50 goal scorer and better then anyone from this draft
I partially agree with this line of thinking FB. I'd look at moving 1 first rounder and 1 second rounder with a current roster winger or defenseman and a top or mid prospect not named Pysyk, McNabb or Armia.

With a 1st and 2nd round pick packaged with a roster winger or defense man and prospect, the Sabres could land a nice acquisition on draft day.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post

With a 1st and 2nd round pick packaged with a roster winger or defense man and prospect, the Sabres could land a nice acquisition on draft day.
No, they couldn't. Howson isn't moving No. 2 for that. Unless that roster winger is Vanek or Pominville - even then he wouldn't do it.

You're essentially saying Columbus moves down ten spots for Stafford, Brennan and a second round pick.

No chance. They aren't passing on Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Murray/whoever for mediocre assets.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
for all we know, Galchenyuk is the next Datsyuk

I'd thank they Hockey Gods if we were able to get Galchenyuk for 12, 21,Armia, and Enroth... that would be a dream come true trade.

You guys boggle my mind with your value of our current assets...

Old
06-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Hockey’s Future 2012 Staff Mock Draft:
Quote:
12. Buffalo Sabres

Radek Faksa, C/W, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Having drawn comparisons to former Kitchener Ranger Gabriel Landeskog (COL), Faksa brings a blend of physicality, size, and skill to the Sabres' forward ranks. An OHL rookie in 2011-12, Faksa already possesses an NHL frame at 6'3, 202 pounds and should only get bigger and stronger as he matures. He builds his game around his size and strength and combined with his skating and hockey sense would be a great complement to the Sabres current group of forwards.

Other potential picks: Zemgus Girgensons, Cody Ceci, Derrick Pouliot, Sebastian Collberg, Olli Maatta.
Quote:
21. Buffalo Sabres (from Nashville Predators)

Tom Wilson, RW, Plymouth Whalers (OHL)
The Sabres would likely scoop up Wilson if he is there, though Derrick Pouliot would be tempting. Zack Kassian's departure at the deadline left a hole for a power forward and Thomas Wilson fits the bill. Buffalo could really go in any direction here, they could do what they did with Mark Pysyk in 2010 and draft the best player available or they could take a developmental goaltender, which they don't have right now.

Other Possibilities: Derrick Pouliot, Brady Skjei, Stefan Matteau, Hampus Lindholm, Malcolm Subban.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
without trading up... and without any big name dropping to 12/21... that's kind of what I am hoping for... Faksa/Wilson. I know Wilson isn't 1st round talent... and I know many will say you can find what he brings later in the draft. But if he reaches his low ceiling/potential he has "beast" written all over him. And I want more beast on the future roster...

Old
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

^ Sign me up for that. That's pretty much ideal for me if we stay at 12 and 21

Edit: Sniped by Jame who echoed the same sentiments.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I would love for this to happen! But no chance that Gaunce goes before Faksa. Gaunce is projected at our 2nd pick. Would hope to get Faksa/Ceci and Gaunce at 21.

Last edited by McTankel: 06-13-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old
06-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
without trading up... and without any big name dropping to 12/21... that's kind of what I am hoping for... Faksa/Wilson. I know Wilson isn't 1st round talent... and I know many will say you can find what he brings later in the draft. But if he reaches his low ceiling/potential he has "beast" written all over him. And I want more beast on the future roster...
If playoff Wilson is the "real" Wilson, then I don't think anyone can complain about his selection. Personally, I'm in that group that thinks you can get his particular skill set later; and two that I like are Branden Troock and Tobias Tornkvist.

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote