HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Future of defense looks bright in Carolina

Old
06-02-2012, 02:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Future of defense looks bright in Carolina

One could argue that since the Hartford Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes, the franchise has never had the true number one defenseman most teams covet. Even the 2006 Stanley Cup-winning team was a mash-up of role players.

Veteran shutdown defender Glen Wesley was once so highly regarded as an offensive defenseman that the Whalers gave up three first-round picks for him, but by the time his career was finished he was instead one of the league's best positional, defense-first rearguards. Swift-skating Bret Hedican had the size and speed every team wants in a top blueliner, but he was always better-suited in a defensive role.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Thanks for the compliment

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Guy

vCash: 200
Boychuk isn't even in the top 20? Let's be reality here.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Training Camp should be interesting this year. Seems like it's almost a "make or break" type of off-season for a lot of players this year.

Dalpe: If he at least doesn't make it at least as a 3rd liner this year, seems like his chances are pretty slim long term. I suspect the team will give him another chance this year. I suspect his spot in the NHL will be on the wing?

Boychuk: IMO, he would have to blow the doors off in training camp and secure a top 6 spot or that's it. My guess is he is part of a trade though instead.

Samson: Unless there is a major shake-up at the NHL level and even if Sutter was in the top 6, I can't see where there is a spot for him in the bottom six (Welsh, Nodl, Dwyer, Brent, LaRose, Stewart, Bowman). I suspect he will be let go.

Nash: With the addition of Welsh, it's getting increasingly more difficult to see where there is a spot for Nash. Staal, Brandon Sutter, Brent, Welsh, Dalpe. Maybe a 4th line role and utilize Brent differently? Not sure where he fits at least this season unless there are injuries.

Brett Sutter: Same as Nash. Unless Tim Brent is utilized differently, don't see how he fits unless there are injuries.

Sanguinetti: If he doesn't make the NHL squad this season, not sure when he will with guys like Murphy and Dumoulin knocking on the door. Again, assuming there are no trades that is.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Dry View Post
Boychuk isn't even in the top 20? Let's be reality here.
I believe Boychuk is considered "graduated" from prospect status.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
sheriff bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I believe Boychuk is considered "graduated" from prospect status.
I think he's also graduated from "NHL player" status too, at least with the Canes.

sheriff bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I think he's top 20 in Insurance Sales prospects

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote