HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

CBJ-PHI (Rick Nash rumors and proposed deals; update: traded to NYR, July 23)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
  #26
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
But, but, but... Aaron Johnson is a defenseman too...
So is Andras Lilja. We'll give you him for nothing.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
  #27
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 163
Bryz for Nash.

Now, I make no secret I don't like Nash because of his 8 million cap hit, but heck I would even throw in a 5th round pick to seal the deal.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
  #28
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,694
vCash: 500
How about...

To the Flyers:
Rick Nash (7.8)
John Moore (.965)
(8.765 total cap)

To the Blue Jackets
vanRiemsdyk (4.25)
Bobrovsky (1.75)
Read (.900)
Meszaros (4)
1st round pick (20th overall)
(10.9 total cap)

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 02:55 PM
  #29
FlyersMania2
Registered User
 
FlyersMania2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
This is a joke right?

I mean we go to the ends of the earth to get Bryz - he has one bad year of a 9 year contract, so we should instead revert back to a carousel of backup goalies?

Come on - if Bryz has another bad year, I won't constantly chime in to defend him to bashers but to ship him out after 1 season in a new city seems ridiculous.

What happens then? We already sign players to lengthy contracts (Carter and Richards) and they can't feel safe - luckily we have Giroux and such. You do this to a goalie after our city is already notorious for how tough we are on goalies, what kind of great goalie will want to sign here?

Who would think to themselves, gee I am a top caliber goalie and I want to play in Philly? Forget it. You have to give Bryz a bit of a chance.

Not to mention, Suter is not coming here.

I would love to have JJ and their second over all or one or the other.

I could care less about Nash. But, I am not willing to revert back to the backup tandem tradition that has been the past few years.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
  #30
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
This is a joke right?

I mean we go to the ends of the earth to get Bryz - he has one bad year of a 9 year contract, so we should instead revert back to a carousel of backup goalies?

Come on - if Bryz has another bad year, I won't constantly chime in to defend him to bashers but to ship him out after 1 season in a new city seems ridiculous.

What happens then? We already sign players to lengthy contracts (Carter and Richards) and they can't feel safe - luckily we have Giroux and such. You do this to a goalie after our city is already notorious for how tough we are on goalies, what kind of great goalie will want to sign here?

Who would think to themselves, gee I am a top caliber goalie and I want to play in Philly? Forget it. You have to give Bryz a bit of a chance.

Not to mention, Suter is not coming here.

I would love to have JJ and their second over all or one or the other.

I could care less about Nash. But, I am not willing to revert back to the backup tandem tradition that has been the past few years.
The goaltender is always going to be the scape goat on this team because fans will never admit to any other shortcoming. Our defense was one of the worst groups in the league pre-deadline. Doesn't make a difference to people though

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
  #31
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,823
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The goaltender is always going to be the scape goat on this team because fans will never admit to any other shortcoming. Our defense was one of the worst groups in the league pre-deadline. Doesn't make a difference to people though
Exactly. On a team with even average defense Bryz is an above average goalie. Its just the Flyers forgot how to play defense for the past two seasons and all the other team has to do is cycle the puck and they will get a guy wide up in front of the net. That'll give confidence to any goalie in the league

Then again trading a goalie for a player of Nash's caliber? Columbus wouldn't do that in a million years.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:21 PM
  #32
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
There is a lot of smoke from multiple sources (at least 3) that the Flyers are working expressly to pry Nash away from Columbus and the teams are close to working it out.

Could still all be lies.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
  #33
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
There is a lot of smoke from multiple sources (at least 3) that the Flyers are working expressly to pry Nash away from Columbus and the teams are close to working it out.

Could still all be lies.
Particularly given the distinct possibility that ************** and manayunkmike are doing this on their iphones at Kildare's or the Brewery.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:31 AM
  #34
BrookswasHere44
Registered User
 
BrookswasHere44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Nash

Pens fan here. Hearing slight rumors (nhl net) about you guys maybe being in the running for Nash. My initial thoughts are you dont need any offense. You are kind of just like the Pens in needing more D help (Suter)

What are your thoughts on that potential move and what would you be "ok" with going to Columbus to get him?


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-16-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Thread merged
BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
  #35
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,688
vCash: 500
JVR + Schenn + (lesser player / 1st pick) + Bob / some lesser prospect (combinations of this are in other threads)

Don't believe the other threads. JVR is good and will be very good. Schenn looked great at the end of this year.

Flyers need D, but the Flyers brass are apparently in love with Nash. I would not love the trade.

It does turn Giroux into a dual-wielding maniac though with Nash/Roo/Jagr.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:39 AM
  #36
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28
 
Giroux 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
CBJ wants something crazy, I don't remember where I saw it but apparently they turned down JVR, cousins, bob, the next 3 years of first rounders for Nash and the second overall pick

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:45 AM
  #37
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
CBJ wants something crazy, I don't remember where I saw it but apparently they turned down JVR, cousins, bob, the next 3 years of first rounders for Nash and the second overall pick
1. do you have a source?

2. that's a horrible offer from the Flyers for BOTH Nash and the 2nd overall--and Columbus should turn it down...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
  #38
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,369
vCash: 769
Please no Nash

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
  #39
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Lets get Nash so we can try to score 350 goals next year. Yeah, just what we need...

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:51 AM
  #40
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28
 
Giroux 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
1. do you have a source?

2. that's a horrible offer from the Flyers for BOTH Nash and the 2nd overall--and Columbus should turn it down...
If you read my first post I said I don't recall where I heard it from and I know it's a bad offer

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 11:53 AM
  #41
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
If you read my first post I said I don't recall where I heard it from and I know it's a bad offer
Well, you said they wanted something "crazy" then listed that offer...and said they turned it down. The implication was that they were crazy for turning down the offer, no? In my opinion, they would have to be absolutely certifiable to take the offer.

I asked because I can't remember Cousins ever being mentioned in a potential deal. He's a recent 3rd round prospect. I really can't imagine he's someone Columbus would be targeting. I think we're all familiar with the variations on the JVR + Bob theme, but you had some other specific names that I hadn't heard before. That's why I asked.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:13 PM
  #42
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls
 
RespectTheCouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,851
vCash: 500
Question: if the Flyers traded for Nash, and he loved it in Philly did well his first year here, could he restructure his contract to lower his cap hit?

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:14 PM
  #43
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Question: if the Flyers traded for Nash, and he loved it in Philly did well his first year here, could he restructure his contract to lower his cap hit?
No. The CBA does not permit renegotiation.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:16 PM
  #44
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
Question: if the Flyers traded for Nash, and he loved it in Philly did well his first year here, could he restructure his contract to lower his cap hit?
Not under the current CBA, IIRC. But they are negotiating a new one so maybe under that one it could work.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:20 PM
  #45
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
nash sucks
jvr sucks
bryz sucks
bob sucks

if a trade goes down, everyone still sucks

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:22 PM
  #46
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,047
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
nash sucks
jvr sucks
bryz sucks
bob sucks

if a trade goes down, everyone still sucks
You forgot Carle..

He totally sucks

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:36 PM
  #47
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
1lb of hartnells beard! **** no! what a ripoff...how about 2 of those 'promotional hartnell wigs' instead?
See, these are the types of quantity-over-quality proposals that underrate the other team's FO. Sure, the wig looks good on paper, but it was only good in the regular season, whereas Hartnell's beard was on the ice for every single one of Hartnell's 8 postseason points. If Howson doesn't hold out for Hartnell's authentic hair, he's an idiot.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:45 PM
  #48
Jray42
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,181
vCash: 91
Let NYR overpay for Nash. Best case scenario.

Jray42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
  #49
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
Pens fan here. Hearing slight rumors (nhl net) about you guys maybe being in the running for Nash. My initial thoughts are you dont need any offense. You are kind of just like the Pens in needing more D help (Suter)

What are your thoughts on that potential move and what would you be "ok" with going to Columbus to get him?
The Flyers and Penguins have pretty much the EXACT same problems. Two GREAT offensive teams always looking for an elite winger to play with their elite Center(s). You guys found Neal for Geno, still shopping for Sid...we want Nash/Parise/something for Giroux. Giroux had 93 pts in 77(?) games and Hartnell was next with 67 pts in 82 games.

We both have fantastic defenses....on paper. They've both played like it within the last couple season, and it all fell apart last season. Losing Pronger didn't help us. I'm not sure what derailed things for the Pens.

We both have very good goalies who don't play like it, and that needs to change...at least for us (I kid...MAF is on my fantasy team, he better change too, aside from 6 games a year) Both goalies get hung out by their defenses and don't get necessary backchecking help from forwards....but also let in an unbelievably high number of soft goals.


More offense seems like the last need for both teams, but it's the easiest fix. Defense is slim pickins this offseason

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:21 PM
  #50
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Let NYR overpay for Nash. Best case scenario.
Yes, so they can kick our ass even more than they did this season.

Also, do they have parks in Columbus? Maybe Bryz would waive to go there since this was a year from hell for him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.