HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to move down at the draft...

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 04:07 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Buffalo could save them the trouble of drafting & developing Murray and just trade you an established top-2 d-man....

How about

to

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 1st RND pick [12th]
2012 2nd RND pick [44th]

Oilers get an excellent 2-way d-man with the same size & skill-set as Murray, as well as a mid-round 1st to select Ceci or Maatta & a decent 2nd.

To

2012 1st RND pick [1st]

Sabres could take Yakupov, or ensure they get their centreman by grabbing Galchenyuk first O/A.
Sekera?? really!?

I want McNabb, Armia, Adam or Foligno coming back to Edmonton if the 1st overall is involved.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

Thats not an overpayment at all, its a massive massive overpayment. You seriously need a reality-check, and stop overvaluing the pick. Because the 1st overall players usually end up being a great player, it doesn't mean Yakupov has to. Get real.. I highly doubt you would even be offered Huberdeau by Tallon.
You're undervaluing the pick. Gudbranson isn't proven. Neither is Huberdeau (though he is very close).

The chances of a 1st overall draft pick being a great player are much higher than either of these two becoming stars.

If I am Tallon I don't make that trade for Yakupov or Hall or Kane (I might make it for RNH or Tavares). But if you're not willing to pay that price you won't get a likely franchise player (that you likely keep under contract for the better part of a decade).

Old
judge301

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
...and that's all fine. But then there is no reason for them to even consider trading down and taking Murray, right?
Other than one guy in Toronto media no one has suggested they are considering it, right?

Old
06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
lakai17

Edmonton will start out with Gudbranson +

Gudbranson isn't as valuable as Kulikov and Gudbranson fits the more physical Western conference style of play.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
You're undervaluing the pick. Gudbranson isn't proven. Neither is Huberdeau (though he is very close).

The chances of a 1st overall draft pick being a great player are much higher than either of these two becoming stars.

If I am Tallon I don't make that trade for Yakupov or Hall or Kane (I might make it for RNH or Tavares). But if you're not willing to pay that price you won't get a likely future superstar.
What you don't get is that what you proposed is way beyond overpayment.

3rd overall ('10) + 3rd overall ('11) + 23 overall ('12) for 1st overall ('12) is laughable.

And you also seem to take it for granted that Yakupov will be a superstar, and that Huberdeau/Gudbransson won't.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:16 PM
lakai17

Quote:

If I am Tallon I don't make that trade for Yakupov or Hall or Kane (I might make it for RNH or Tavares). But if you're not willing to pay that price you won't get a likely franchise player (that you likely keep under contract for the better part of a decade).
Gudbranson is a big young physical defenceman Edmonton would love to have, yeah Edmonton already have some big young defence prospects but Gudbranson is NHL ready today.

I imagine the odd young defenceman pans out of Klefbom, Musil, Teubert, Marincin or Gernat, those are the type of defenceman that will protect the elite talent Edmonton have to showcase today. Edmonton have too many marshmallows of offense.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
What you don't get is that what you proposed is way beyond overpayment.

3rd overall ('10) + 3rd overall ('11) + 23 overall ('12) for 1st overall ('12) is laughable.

And you also seem to take it for granted that Yakupov will be a superstar, and that Huberdeau/Gudbransson won't.
Do you want to make a list of third over all busts and compare it to first overall busts?

Let me say it again, it is not a good deal for Florida and they shouldn't do it, but that is what takes to get a first overall pick unless an inept management team is drafting 1st overall and does something stupid (see the 2003 Florida Panthers).

Old
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Gudbranson is a big young physical defenceman Edmonton would love to have, yeah Edmonton already have some big young defence prospects but Gudbranson is NHL ready today.

I imagine the odd young defenceman pans out of Klefbom, Musil, Teubert, Marincin or Gernat, those are the type of defenceman that will protect the elite talent Edmonton have to showcase today. Edmonton have too many marshmallows of offense.
If Gudbranson had an exceptional year last year, I'd trade the first overall pick for him and Huberdeau alone. I am sure Florida would also see that as a massive overpay and wouldn't do it.

If you are willing to trade a first overall pick for an exceptional d-man prospect without another exceptional player packaged with him you are making a huge mistake.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
lakai17

Quote:
If Gudbranson had an exceptional year last year, I'd trade the first overall pick for him and Huberdeau alone. I am sure Florida would also see that as a massive overpay and wouldn't do it.

If you are willing to trade a first overall pick for an exceptional d-man prospect without another exceptional player packaged with him you are making a huge mistake.
well yeah I would want Gudbranson +, for any 1st overall pick you have to overpay. Yakupov's don't grow on trees.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:

If Guds had an exceptional year this season, you wouldn't even get him for the 1st.

I totally get that you have to overpay, but there is a difference between overpaying and getting bent over that badly.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
If Guds had an exceptional year this season, you wouldn't even get him for the 1st.

I totally get that you have to overpay, but there is a difference between overpaying and getting bent over that badly.
Try to get any of RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, etc without getting bent over badly and see how that goes if a GM will even talk to you about 8/10 former first overall picks.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
McLovin25
Eberle=Clutch

I get the feeling that Edmonton wants Reinhart more then Murray. They may want them both, but i say Reinhart is higher on their list.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
I get the feeling that Edmonton wants Reinhart more then Murray. They may want them both, but i say Reinhart is higher on their list.
Morgan Rielly = best defenceman in this years draft.

Edmonton have enough big defenceman in their prospect pool.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I want Josh Gorges + for the 1st overall if we're dealing wih the Habs. Subban is too valuable to the Habs which is understandable.
Sounds okay to me. What is the + though? Because from 1 to 3 isn't as big of a drop as from 1 to 5 and he have a significantly better chance of getting your player if it's not Nail you're after.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus74 View Post
How about..

Gardiner + 5th + (B Prospect)

for

1rst + Gagner
I know I am in the minority here but I just don't know why the Oilers would want Gardiner. I'm not saying he isn't a good dman. Just that they recently moved out Gilbert who had better numbers through his career (college and first pro seasons) than Gardiner for a more defensively aware/ positionally sound dman in Schultz. Why would they be interested in moving the pick for a package centered on a similiar yet less experienced player? Now you are asking for a proven second line center in addition for a B prospect? GTFO.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
I know I am in the minority here but I just don't know why the Oilers would want Gardiner. I'm not saying he isn't a good dman. Just that they recently moved out Gilbert who had better numbers through his career (college and first pro seasons) than Gardiner for a more defensively aware/ positionally sound dman in Schultz. Why would they be interested in moving the pick for a package centered on a similiar yet less experienced player? Now you are asking for a proven second line center in addition for a B prospect? GTFO.
Tom Gilbert lacks intensity. I'm glad the Oilers moved him for Nick Schultz. From what I've seen of Gardiner I like him much better.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Buffalo could save them the trouble of drafting & developing Murray and just trade you an established top-2 d-man....

How about

to

D Andrej Sekera ($2.75M)
2012 1st RND pick [12th]
2012 2nd RND pick [44th]

Oilers get an excellent 2-way d-man with the same size & skill-set as Murray, as well as a mid-round 1st to select Ceci or Maatta & a decent 2nd.

To

2012 1st RND pick [1st]

Sabres could take Yakupov, or ensure they get their centreman by grabbing Galchenyuk first O/A.
I would do that if Sekera was spelled M-Y-E-R-S.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Dreger is full of ****

Old
06-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

And yet if Dreger said "It's highly unlikely the Oilers move the pick" all you Oilers fans would be saying "See, Someone from TSN said we're not moving the pick"

Just because you don't like the news, Doesn't mean it lacks validity.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:27 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
And yet if Dreger said "It's highly unlikely the Oilers move the pick" all you Oilers fans would be saying "See, Someone from TSN said we're not moving the pick"

Just because you don't like the news, Doesn't mean it lacks validity.
Is this some kind of wishful thinking on your part or something?

Old
06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Is this some kind of wishful thinking on your part or something?
No, Not at all. I don't need that.

Just pointing out how fickle some people are with media reports or speculation.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
lakai17

Gudbranson + Bjugstad for the 1st overall pick

do you bite?

Huburdeau is valued highly by Florida so they won't trade him.
Kulikov > Gudbranson

Bjugstad has size, 6'4 ,plays center, adds a one-two puch of RNH and him.
Hall doesn't have to translate to center.

Gudbranson is NHL ready, he's young, big and adds toughness

Old
06-13-2012, 06:24 PM
lakai17

Kulikov + Bjugstad

I would do it but Florida wouldn't, although Huburdeau-Yakupov would be lethal, same with RNH-Yakupov

Old
06-13-2012, 06:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Due to the fact we've gone a bit OT and that this can be brought up in the 1st overall thread, I'm going to lock this thread.

Let's use the 1st overall to discuss further.

Closed Thread